SideTracked

PopUpPirate

Never knew about these before... :D

Erm... the B'ham flash mob was based on the idea and you certainly noticed that one Mark! :D

Although we have set two (if we didn't, someone else would have), we are not great fans of the series, and the series could easily be called 'Caught on CCTV' as they can be VERY awkward to do.

The fact that several have already been archived would indicate that it's not the best series in the world. B)

Naturally, our two are set in quiet rural stations with no CCTV cameras.... :D

I missed it too somehow .... was more focussed on the WWFM aspect ... came to my attention by the appearance of a couple of new ones in my area. I'll be setting some - plenty of rural train stations near me. They won't appeal to everyone, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. B):D:D There's a MSN group too.

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

I'd be interested to know what others think of these. Personally I find them very uninspiring.

As are many Motorway Mayhems. But like MMs they're easy to find (most railway stations are well signposted) especially for foreign visitors (foreign to the county AND to the country!) We all play the game differently remember...sometimes, especially on unfamiliar turf, you just want a Cache and Dash. I'm chuffed that we placed Evesham that's for sure:

log

JimJinks is getting bored (and wishing he'd never started) - he's found 50 of the 63 already! :D

They're not all urban micros though. There are some multis, one at an ex-station, and as mentioned we had the event...and the Norfolk ones sound lovely - I definitely fancy a day out there Caching by train - something really different! I expect someone will hide one at a steam station soon...I'd like to do the 3 Lake Bala stations for sure...so, yes, why not do your model railway...there are no strict rules. In fact there are probably lots already at train stations across the country which could be SideTrackeds - what about Paddington Dare, and Silver Train (speaking of steam stations!)? Calling them all SideTracked just makes it easier to search for them, like MMs! (Only, don't go changing them all at once...JimJinks will have a heart attack trying to keep up! :D)

I wish I'd known about this series before I placed a new cache outside Manchester Piccadilly last month - I could have made it a Sidetracked one!

Personally I think this sounds like an excellent series.

Why don't you just add it into the name? :D

These caches are just what I need when I want a caching fix but the mini Hoppers are whingeing about the cold and don't want to go on a long walk. And presumably they will be in fairly well lit places so I can go and look for them when its too dark for country lanes and woodlands. :D

I've not done any of these but they seem to be the same sort of thing as the "Off Your Trolley" type caches which are great if you have a need to scratch that cache itch.

I think that the train series could be a good way to meet new cachers especially if they are hidden at a station you use to get to work etc. You could stand waiting for the train to arrive watching the cache to see if anybody else is trying to find it, it would then be up to you to say hello or not! ( as per previous thread "would you say hello ?" ).

Personally I find them very uninspiring.
Most of 'em seem to be micros.... waddya expect?? :D:DB)

As I'm sure even you'll admit Pharisee, placing an ammo can at a train station might prove to be an unpopular move with the authorities!!! :D

As has been said, they have their pros and cons, and won't be everyone's cup of tea, much like the MM series. I'm sure it would help alleviate some of the waiting time at stations though - I'm going to try and get one or two out myself!

OhMiGosh! I was already struggling to keep up with them all :D How many Caches can you watch at once? :D

I look forward to the 'plague' spreading further...we have already 'invaded' 14 counties, and there are 31 hiders so far!

Some more stats:

63 Caches (3 archived - 1 of them the WWFM Event)

over 750 finds logged

239 unique finders (100th = GillyGill, 200th = Riggy~Wizard)

8 non-UK finders (that have actually stated it in their log), from 4 different countries (Germany, Denmark, Czech Republic & Sweden)

Most finds - JimJinks, 50 (79.4%) and pete3 - 31 (34.9%)

Most hides - Ascenders, 7 (Norfolk)

Top Counties - Warwickshire & West Midlands, 14

A more interesting invasion to keep an eye on...http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...02-689650253ad7

Personally I find them very uninspiring.
Most of 'em seem to be micros.... waddya expect?? :D:D:D

Some years ago when I started geocaching it seemed to be the accepted norm to place reasonably sized boxes full of nice goodies in imaginative spots in the expectation that people would enjoy the challenge and be introduced to attractive or interesting locations.

Now we are seeing more and more of what seem to be caches placed just because they can be. Such caches often are, but not exclusively, micros. It's an argument/discussion we've had here before so I suppose I shouldn't really bring it up again but I've just come across a prime example of the genre (and no, I'm not going to name names) and maybe I'm feeling more grumpy than usual :D

I suppose we're lucky that we don't have lamp posts with skirts on them in car parks like the Americans do or we too would be swamped with REAL dross B)

Please note, this is my PERSONAL opinion which is why "The Hornet" is writing :D:DB)

I've not done any of these caches yet, so can't personally comment on their quality.

But I do wonder how many of these have been placed with permission.

The reason I bring this up, is because many years ago a series was placed around West Yorkshire train stations, Metro found out, and weren't best pleased, so all the caches got archived.

I do hope none are placed on rail property, as they would have the potential to cause a security scare.

We've done many caches at train stations before, one sidetracked one and others when people at least thought for a few seconds to come up with their own name for theirs. I have to say the one sidetracked cache we did find didn't whet my appetite for more.

I've never been inspired by any cache in a train station. Unless there is anything particularly unusual about that station then what's the point, other than just to copy umpteen other people and to show people you have no imagination?

The other thing folks forget is that a lot of secluded areas in and around train stations are actually used by people having a wee. I'm not saying there are all like that, but many are.

As a member of this wide community who loves to travel around the country to events on the rail network, many of my trips involve atleast 1 change at some boring station i have found the introduction of this sidetracked series a real welcome.

For me when i get to an event i am already cold (and sometimes wet) so the thought of sitting down for an hour and then heading out for more caching is not normally top of the agenda! Thats normally reserved for food and BEER!

Being able though to do a cache while i wait for a train, where i dont have to go more than 0.1miles out the station can break the journey up really well. Also it means if ou DNF on the way you have a second chance on the way back after a PAF.

Alot of the people who have talked these caches down are people who drive. Spare a thought if you will for those of us who cannot afford lessons or maybe just dont want the hassle of driving yet. Lots of caches (im not complaining here) are placed in remote areas away from public transport links and these have their place well defined, BUT i think a series such as these has been needed for a long time to help people such as myself.

As a member of this wide community who loves to travel around the country to events on the rail network, many of my trips involve atleast 1 change at some boring station i have found the introduction of this sidetracked series a real welcome.

For me when i get to an event i am already cold (and sometimes wet) so the thought of sitting down for an hour and then heading out for more caching is not normally top of the agenda! Thats normally reserved for food and BEER!

Being able though to do a cache while i wait for a train, where i dont have to go more than 0.1miles out the station can break the journey up really well. Also it means if ou DNF on the way you have a second chance on the way back after a PAF.

Alot of the people who have talked these caches down are people who drive. Spare a thought if you will for those of us who cannot afford lessons or maybe just dont want the hassle of driving yet. Lots of caches (im not complaining here) are placed in remote areas away from public transport links and these have their place well defined, BUT i think a series such as these has been needed for a long time to help people such as myself.

well said!

Did one yesterday whilst waiting for a train - excellent idea! :rolleyes:

There appears to be several geocachers on here who find lots of more interesting things to do when they're waiting for trains. Lucky them! Personally, I find railway stations a bit dull after the first twenty minutes or so. Even if a cache is not particularly brilliant it tends to beat standing in the cold watching time tick away.

we too would be swamped with REAL dross :lol:

You been to Vicarage Road this season? I certainly have been swamped with real dross there :huh:

That aside as a relative newbie to geocaching I would agree that a cache should make you go on a good walk in a nice place or introduce you something interesting (e.g. like the cache I did last week at Sunshine Desserts from Reggie Perrin). I expect some but not all of the sidetracked caches would meet this criteria. Maybe I shouldn't really offer any opinions until I have set some of my own. Even in relatively over-cached North London/Herts, there do seem to be ample places to set new caches without any dilution of the above criteria.

we too would be swamped with REAL dross :anibad:

You been to Vicarage Road this season? I certainly have been swamped with real dross there :lol:

That aside as a relative newbie to geocaching I would agree that a cache should make you go on a good walk in a nice place or introduce you something interesting (e.g. like the cache I did last week at Sunshine Desserts from Reggie Perrin). I expect some but not all of the sidetracked caches would meet this criteria. Maybe I shouldn't really offer any opinions until I have set some of my own. Even in relatively over-cached North London/Herts, there do seem to be ample places to set new caches without any dilution of the above criteria.

I agree. Some people seem to be confusing convenience with quality.

What's going on with the quotes too. :huh:

we too would be swamped with REAL dross :anibad:

You been to Vicarage Road this season? I certainly have been swamped with real dross there :lol:

I agree. Some people seem to be confusing convenience with quality.

What's going on with the quotes too. :huh:

You got a /quote in the wrong place (fixed for you)

Kelling Heath Park in North Norfolk is on the Poppy Line still has steam trains running on it. We're not really slow here in Norfolk just sentimental.

Regards

Bernard

They're not all urban micros though. There are some multis, one at an ex-station, and as mentioned we had the event...and the Norfolk ones sound lovely - I definitely fancy a day out there Caching by train - something really different! I expect someone will hide one at a steam station soon...I'd like to do the 3 Lake Bala stations for sure...so, yes, why not do your model railway...there are no strict rules. In fact there are probably lots already at train stations across the country which could be SideTrackeds - what about Paddington Dare, and Silver Train (speaking of steam stations!)? Calling them all SideTracked just makes it easier to search for them, like MMs! (Only, don't go changing them all at once...JimJinks will have a heart attack trying to keep up! :lol:)