Tools

PlantAKiss

I like tools and have a few...including my relatively new mitre saw. But I don't know enough about tools to know how people hollow out logs, sticks and things like metal bolts. Doesn't it take special tools to be able to do that? Jigsaws? Routers? Big drills? Chisels? I wouldn't mind getting creative but I have a feeling my average tool kit won't do the job. I get ideas but don't know how to execute them.

I like tools and have a few...including my relatively new mitre saw. But I don't know enough about tools to know how people hollow out logs, sticks and things like metal bolts. Doesn't it take special tools to be able to do that? Jigsaws? Routers? Big drills? Chisels? I wouldn't mind getting creative but I have a feeling my average tool kit won't do the job. I get ideas but don't know how to execute them.

Oh boy! You just asked many questions in one short post. Pardon my over-generalizing, but this is as good as I can come up with right now:

To hollow out a log, depending on the log, you might begin by drilling many holes with a drill and a fairly large bit (a spade bit or an auger, something like that that'd make a good-sized hole) and then chipping out the remaining wood with a wood chisel (different than a metal chisel).

To drill out a bolt, you'd probably want to use a bit in a drillpress. You'll want the hole to be perfectly centered and aligned with the center of the bolt, and you'd probably not be able to do that with a handheld drill. Use oil on the drill bit when drilling steel, and go slowly.

Hollowing out a stick (such as to put a micro or nano in it) can be done with a simple woodbit and electric drill.

Logs and sticks are a snap, just use a good drill and the proper size bit. The bigger the bit, the stronger the drill. Split the log in half or cut off a section and drill out the center then attach the cover with strong magnets or other means. A 1" or 3/4 chisel to clean things up. Green wood will cut easier but is subject to cracking as it dries.

Hollow bolts/rod/spikes require more special tools, to get a quality job you will need to use a metal lathe, find a buddy or go to your local tech school, talk to the teacher and have one of the students make a few for a graded project.

Knowschad's process for hollowed bolts is a good one. An easy way to keep the bolt perfectly stable while drilling is to clamp it into a drill press vise. These vises can be found really inexpensively. To make it easy to clamp the bolt, thread a couple of nuts onto it so the vise can clamp down evenly on the bolt, rather than just holding it by the head.

If the stump is large enough in diameter to hold a small container or a regular container. You could use the quartering method.

You cut it in half lengthwise, then again lengthwise.

Cut out the mid section.

Then you can dowel/nail/bolt/screw/glue+tie it back together

It will look like a log again, but have a perfect square shaped middle.

Make sure you cut a piece off for the lid and base first of course. =)

I believe there are plans for such a task in the CCC forum.

Cool Cache Containers(CCC) Thread

Instead of hollowing out logs spray paint pvc pipe flat black, peel bark from dead tree, hot glue bark to pvc pipe, cap one end permanent, cap the other end so you can remove it. Smaller sizes work well in trees with knot holes you can stick the replica in the knot hole and it looks like a branch. The larger sizes look good lying on the ground as dead logs. Guess you could do the same with a 5 gallon plastic bucket to "make" a stump. dd