OakBucks?

crpadiem

Ok, I am new to this but I got my order from Geoswag(oakcoins) and there was this cool little coin in the package that I didn't order. It doesn't have a tracking number, just has 1 OakBucks on it, a website that does not seem to exist, and an expiration date of Dec. 08. It's a really cool little coin, almost wish it had a tracking number so others could see it as a geocoin.

Edited by crpadiem

Ok, I am new to this but I got my order from Geoswag(oakcoins) and there was this cool little coin in the package that I didn't order. It doesn't have a tracking number, just has 1 OakBucks on it, a website that does not seem to exist, and an expiration date of Dec. 08. It's a really cool little coin, almost with it had a tracking number so others could see it as a geocoin.

Shoot an email to oakcoins and ask them. It probably gets you some sort of discount on reorders.

Sounds like an advertisement coin of some kind.

I once found a coin called Woodworkers Warehouse that was a bit bigger than the USA geocoin.

I also found some military 'challenge' coins.

All these are made by the same people who make geocoins, in your case probably OakCoins, but try looking at ALL the makers listed at

http://www.geocaching.com/track/geocoin.aspx

I just received a package of four geocoins I'd ordered from OakCoins. I found one of these OakBucks coins in the package. Whatever it is, mine also expires "Dec-08". On the other side of the coin, there's a Web address of www.oakbucks.com, but that URL doesn't work for me, either. I assume it's part of an upcoming promotion of some sort.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

Well I e-mailed Oak Coins and got this reply:

The Oakbucks can be collected and used to "buy" geocaching products at any of the events Oakcoins attends in 2008. We are still working on getting the website up and running, so there will be more info to come.

Not sure if I want to trade it in though as it's a cool little coin.

Sounds like an advertisement coin of some kind.

I once found a coin called Woodworkers Warehouse that was a bit bigger than the USA geocoin.

I also found some military 'challenge' coins.

All these are made by the same people who make geocoins, in your case probably OakCoins, but try looking at ALL the makers listed at

http://www.geocaching.com/track/geocoin.aspx

I just received a package of four geocoins I'd ordered from OakCoins. I found one of these OakBucks coins in the package. Whatever it is, mine also expires "Dec-08". On the other side of the coin, there's a Web address of www.oakbucks.com, but that URL doesn't work for me, either. I assume it's part of an upcoming promotion of some sort.

--Larry

Well, the URL is working now. It looks like oakcoins will release more information in the new year.

Ok, I am new to this but I got my order from Geoswag(oakcoins) and there was this cool little coin in the package that I didn't order. It doesn't have a tracking number, just has 1 OakBucks on it, a website that does not seem to exist, and an expiration date of Dec. 08. It's a really cool little coin, almost wish it had a tracking number so others could see it as a geocoin.

I too received one of these coins with an order. I received 5 geocoins as a Christmas gift and it came with this really cool non trackable Oak Bucks coin. From what it appears to be is a promotional item that can be exchanged for cash on another purchase. It has a #1 on it, but if it's only worth a dollar, I would much rather just keep the coin. :unsure: I'm pretty sure that somebody on the Geocoin forums could clarify this dilemma.

I got 2 in an oakcoins stocking I received. Entering "oakbucks.com" didn't work for me either, but when I googled "oakbucks" the first link was to their website, and the page is called "oakbuck.com." go figure. both of mine are 1's, but they also come in 5's, 10's, and even a "free die cut" for one side of a coin you design. Good promo idea...

A new cache popped up close to me a week ago and I went out hoping for FTF. One of the items inside was a $1 OakBuck in a little pouch that said "For FTF". Well I was 4th to find and figured that it had been over looked by the first 3 finders. I thought it was an unactivated geocoin so I grabbed it. After finding out what it really was I realized that I'm not going to be able to use it so I dropped it in a new cache that I set out a few days ago.