Rino 530HCx

AllenTenn

I must ask what software you are using?

My Garmin Rino 530HCx came with a software version of 2.40 and a GPS Software version of 2.50. This might also be called firmware since it is installed to directly to the GPS unit itself. To my knowledge Garmin has not released any updates.

Great news! I found out I have to download the webupdater from the 530HCx product page and it will run and connect to Garmin's servers and tell me if there is an update for my unit. Too big brotherish for my blood, but I've already bought the thing. :D

http://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=931

The above link should put you to the download page. Run the program with your 530 plugged into USB and it found two updates. One for the GPSr and one for the software/firmware running on the 530. Guess what else!? The new update came out the 15th, just 3 days ago! Great! Hopefully this fixes some of my software issues, although the release notes didn't mention anything about my problems. I sucessfully upgraded and we'll see how she performs.

I'm in the process of getting two 530hcx for $600, which I'd say is a good offer. (and sorry theres only 2 available)
When you finish your purchase can you let us know where you got them that cheap? I plan to buy more in the future and would love to pick them up @ $300/unit.
I got them in the subforum below this one GPS Garage Sale (I was going to buy a pair from BuyDig.com for $347 but just hours before I clicked pay the above thread was posted.) :D

Blast! And I've been watching that forum, too! How'd I miss that?!? You win! :D

I have been playing with my radio during my last few hunting trips, mostly intercepting other conversations. This afternoon it was a nice clear day on the mountain. I had a clear shot to the ocean and intercepted a conversation 30+ miles away. It was as clear and crisp as if it were a block away. I didn't try to carry on a conversation, seeing that no one would want to be interrupted. (By the way, this was not a one time thing, it was all afternoon)

At another place I have intercepted conversations about a mile away. This is in a construction zone. I think they are using weaker radio units.

Just thought I would share my experience. In the beginning someone had asked about the distance here in Hawaii.

This afternoon it was a nice clear day on the mountain. I had a clear shot to the ocean and intercepted a conversation 30+ miles away. It was as clear and crisp as if it were a block away. I didn't try to carry on a conversation, seeing that no one would want to be interrupted. (By the way, this was not a one time thing, it was all afternoon)

I have also intercepted conversations at the 30+ mile range that sounded clear as a bell. I found out they're using a repeater, a 40 watt repeater is capable of that distance. I'm thinking of putting up a couple in my neck of the woods. If you hear what sounds like to be morse code every so often on a channel, it is most likely a repeater identifying itself. There are also sites on the internet you can find that keep a database of GMRS repeaters around the country, just google something like "GMRS repeater database". There is a code of conduct on how to use these repeaters you don't own, which ever website you find will have info on that too.

Your Rino is capable of using the repeater channels or the ones with a "R" at the end (15R-22R). You can enable these channels under your radio setup, as they are not enabled by default. Here is how the repeaters work, repeaters listen on a slightly different frequency than 15, which is 15R (respectively all the way to 22R). You broadcast on the slightly off frequency the repeater is listening on (after you enable repeater channels and switch to one of the "R" channels) and the repeater relays your broadcasts on channel 15 with high power (the one without the "R"). People on 15 can hear you, but you cannot hear them unless they are close, because they're not using a repeater. If you get another person that has a radio capable of using a repeater, like another Rino user, you can both talk long distances.

FYI: A 40 watt repeater can run you $1500 (on the lower to medium end) if you do it yourself. I'm not very knowledgeable in the area of radio yet so I can't be sure you can't do it for cheaper, I'm currently looking into it.

BTW: What do you hunt in Hawaii?

Edited by mitzip

This afternoon it was a nice clear day on the mountain. I had a clear shot to the ocean and intercepted a conversation 30+ miles away. It was as clear and crisp as if it were a block away. I didn't try to carry on a conversation, seeing that no one would want to be interrupted. (By the way, this was not a one time thing, it was all afternoon)

I have also intercepted conversations at the 30+ mile range that sounded clear as a bell. I found out they're using a repeater, a 40 watt repeater is capable of that distance. I'm thinking of putting up a couple in my neck of the woods. If you hear what sounds like to be morse code every so often on a channel, it is most likely a repeater identifying itself. There are also sites on the internet you can find that keep a database of GMRS repeaters around the country, just google something like "GMRS repeater database". There is a code of conduct on how to use these repeaters you don't own, which ever website you find will have info on that too.

I don't think these individuals were using a repeater. They were obviously visitors to the islands and were using channel 7. I think it was just a perfect wave and I was facing them on the mountain with nothing in between.

As far as what I hunt in Hawaii, we just closed bird season yesterday. We have turkeys, chukars, erkcls, quail, dove, pheasants, and hungarian partridge (on a private ranch). Big game mammals we have sheep, goats, mouflon, pigs, and axis deer on a couple of the islands. I have taken goats and most of the birds. I have yet been able to hunt the others, but hope to do so soon.

I don't think these individuals were using a repeater. They were obviously visitors to the islands and were using channel 7. I think it was just a perfect wave and I was facing them on the mountain with nothing in between.

As far as what I hunt in Hawaii, we just closed bird season yesterday. We have turkeys, chukars, erkcls, quail, dove, pheasants, and hungarian partridge (on a private ranch). Big game mammals we have sheep, goats, mouflon, pigs, and axis deer on a couple of the islands. I have taken goats and most of the birds. I have yet been able to hunt the others, but hope to do so soon.

That's pretty awesome! Thanks for the inside info on hunting in Hawaii, sounds fun! :D

Edited by mitzip

new guy to all this... i picked up a few of the rino 530 hcx so that i can navigate in open water far from landfall on the great lakes while paddle surfing. i've already taken them to lake tahoe on a snowboard trip. my previous gps was the magellan module for the palm visor which i used with star pilot for celestial navigation. always was curious about geocaching but have never tried it myself. now seems like a good time to jump into the mix.

some things about these radios which i've found out by, erm, "accident" is that the audio disappears when they get drenched but the sound slowly returns as the water dries off of the speaker's protective membrane. silicone is used to attach the antenna boot to the radio chassis...

Edited by slidegear

When I go on a winter camping trip this weekend I'll try and remeber to take notes on how well the signal does in the mountains.

Curriously you cannot power the rino using the USB cable, only the battery will work.

For your enjoyment (I always love looking at pictures), heres a pair of pic to compair size and brighness.

2005672316083598954_th.jpg2005693280268985687_th.jpg

from the pictures it is obvious that the rino's are 50% larger than the map 60's (the screen is a bit smaller too) but considering the rino's dual purpose it is an acceptable compromise for those who want the advantage.

wish i could provide a reliable review on the radio performance in the mountains but i bought my sets just as we were leaving town and the other participants were more interested in powder than in learning how to use the new equipement. i stayed on the frs band as i didn't have a license to use the gmrs at the time and even that seemed to have a respectable range. they do take a good bit of abuse too, i suppose the internal metal roll cage has a lot to do with that.

not sure where i found this but if you press enter (joystick) as you are turning on the unit you go into diag mode...

with city select you can download garmin's nroute so that you can hook up your rino via usb for text to speech directions on your laptop.

just an fyi: 25% off of aquapac deal on the garage sale forum...

Edited by slidegear

okay bear with me here, the reason for this posting is to go to extreme measures to prevent liquids from contaminating our precious units...

as noted in the previous post i am considering purchasing a few aquapacs for off shore navigation but it occurred to me that one of the most convenient ways of containing or preventing liquid saturation is with a latex container (unless of course one is allergic to latex). in fact everyone should have some sort of latex glove or condom in their first aid kit... they hold ice or hot water and make great tourniquets, not to mention their intended purpose. starting to get the picture?

anyway, i was thinking that slippin' one over the horned wonder should do the trick! one can even remove the clip on pivot and reattach it after the rino is bagged so that it can easily be redeployed. heck, put on a glo-worm for that killer effect. see alice about long lasting effects (sorry). would work for a variety of devices (batteries not included). once you've got it covered you can dive in with confidence...

a public service message from one who cares (more or less),

as9

Edited by slidegear

the belt clip itself seems sturdy, comprised mainly of spring steel in a "u" configuration surrounded by plastic bits etc. which grips the belt. one of the ends of this spring is fashioned to provide tension on the lock mechanism in place. it has a plastic wedge which holds that swivel's "nipple" screwed into the radio's chassis with the added pressure when combined with that provided by the main spring clamping around a belt (especially one of substantial thickness.) along those lines... this could be a prime opportunity to provide a single point of contact for anything within without compromising the integrity of the housing.

tested out the latex "sock" solution i mentioned earlier but ordered a few of those aquapacs anyway (today's the last day for that 25% off deal). always good to know that there's options should the need arise. btw have an idea for making a custom case which i'll post on if it works.

221SmallVHFPRO.jpg

the small vhf pro was a tad long (7.2" body 6.8" antenna) but i can turn under the antenna portion for a proper fit (slip in a cell phone or keys too). you should be able to click on the image to take you to the product page... oops, not quite.

Edited by slidegear

Back from my camp, a few notes of what I can remember

-Range in a coniferous forest mountain valley was around 3km, was 2.8km with location poll.

-3 days use depleted the battery to %51

-To scroll on the map you gotta select menu->scroll which gets tedious

-on/off button is in between the two antennas, I have to turn my finger sideways to press it. (impossible with snow gloves on)

-It can stand up

-you can have the barometer on while the unit is off (unlike the CSx)

-Looks cooler then the CSx too :D

"...I got the accessories from tool-home.com (http://www.tool-home.com/products/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=rino&x=0&y=0). The accessories is where you get kicked in the nuts. I couldn't find discounted accessories ANYWHERE for these things. So I settled for a place where I could find all the accessories made for the Rino in one place that was as low as possible, so save on shipping..."

Thanks for the link and ordered there also; yet watch for the $5 minimum on orders less than $80 and the minimum 1# charge of $9.25 from Texas to Michigan via UPS (I was quoted more than $11 over the phone by UPS over the same route). It sure would be nice to find someplace that gave decent deals on these items as I'm satisfied enough with the 530hcx just received to pick up another.

About the only thing that I don't like about these units is a (perceived) lack of discussion regarding them on the net. I am assuming that this is one of the most versatile units out there and that in fact nobody else makes one...yet there seems to be very little interest in discussing the actual use of them! :laughing:

I still have the original (which in my opinion, was a dud and waste of some hard earned cash) yet this model seems to actually live up to the hype. I wish that it would run on separate lithium-ion or even lithium primaries ideally (in addition to alkalines) yet the Li-ion standard pack is indeed a breath of fresh air. The waterproof standard is good work, the user interface is night and day better than the original and the weather radio/GMRS combo with text capability are the nost wide-ranging features in a GPS on the markets.

Why this unit is treated like a red-headed-step-child on the forums is beyond me; yet I believe that it is one of the most valuable toolsthat one could have in their home at any given time.

Thanks for having me and congrats on building such a nice forum.

Edited by RzrSxS

okay... i learned my lesson. the belt clip broke and i lost one of my rinos. the break occurred along the rail at the bottom of the d-ring in which the radio's pivot pin rests. a crescent shaped section broke off where the pin sits when locked in.

i've had the radios for a little over a month now and have always had one with me on a daily basis for about three weeks, switchihg between the carabiner and the belt clip as needed. i would say that it had about light (occasionally medium) stress on the accessories.

i am currently researching more reliable options for holstering the units i have left short of customizing a metal d-clip. one worth consider is this holster designed for the kenwood p7200. if it looks like a workable fit, i may be picking a couple of these up.

it's such a shame that such a flimsy component is part of this otherwise outstanding product. as it is, i wouldn't trust the belt clip for anything other than around the house.

i covered so much distance in an urban environment. i wouldn't know where to start looking... i did register the unit at garmin's site for what it's worth (we'll see if this gives me any advantage in locating it.) i will let the company know about the situation and report their response.

i doubt that this would have happened as easily if it were on the carabiner because there is less outward stress to the rail on the d-ring on that accessory... but it is still plastic and more susceptible to regular wear, stress, temperature, certain chemicals, etc. than a metal one would be.

After having owned the Rino 120 and 130 I purchased the 530HCx. I have to agree with all the previous posts, it is the best of the lot.

Good battery life, weather channel, radio range, etc.

Here is a tip for the 530 and 130 radios, one that the owners manual doesn't go into in any depth if you can even find it.

I find this useful when hunting but kids may like it because it is what kids do (speaking as a qualified old fart).

Text Messaging - Hold down the center button.

Select "send note"

You can type in your own note, select from a list or add your own to a list. This is great for hunting since it is all silent.

Also, my grandson likes to play the Beast game while setting in the deer blind waiting for the deer. It kept him occupied and he wasn't so fidgety.

So I finally ordered a 530 today and have a few questions now, Should I get the pre loaded sd card of maps or get the map software and a large sd card to put them on?

With my quest I could put both city select and topo on it and switch back and forth between them can you do that with the 530?

I just got my new 530 Hcx today and I am so excited! I had an older rino and this upgrade is so worth it! I have 15 ft. accuracy in my house!! One of my main reasons for buying it was the reviews posted in this thread so I just wanted to thank you all. I couldn't find reviews anywhere else!! I can't wait to go caching tomorrow and try this baby out! She's all loaded up and ready to go!

Again - thanks for the information and reviews posted here. You all helped me make a great purchase!