Rino 530HCx

AllenTenn

I am new to the GPS scene and have been researching units to use for hunting/geocaching in Hawaii. Unfortunately, I didn't find this forum until after I ordered my Rino 530HCx. I asked questions in other forums but didn't really receive much feedback.

I was wondering if there were any other Rino 530hcx users out there that might tell me some of the pros and cons of the system? Anyone used theirs in Hawaii?

I am also looking for a case that I can use to attach this unit to my hunting backpack. I loved the Conterra holster that was suggested to someone else. My only problem is that I already have a backpack on. Any other holster/packs that I am missing?

Thanks for your response!

Allen:

Welcome. I've been jonesing for the unit you have. Made it to Hilo once, too on a job for a few days. Beautiful place.

If you want to understand the workings, basically your unit is a GPSMAP 60 CSx with added radio capabilities. So as to the GPS stuff, there's lots here on that unit, not as much on the Rino itself. The neat thing about the Rino, of course, is that if others in your party have Rinos and you are within radio range, same frequency, & a few other details, you can find each other with these units. I started a thread that turned out to be very informative on in that regard, "Rinos and Search/Rescue" (A mod could make that a link, go ahead if you want).

As well, a fellow over there posted a link to all kinds of radio harnesses and carriers for SAR teams, maybe you'd find one there.

Best to you,

Tom

Edited by TomOfTarsus

Allen:

Welcome. I've been jonesing for the unit you have. Made it to Hilo once, too on a job for a few days. Beautiful place.

If you want to understand the workings, basically your unit is a GPSMAP 60 CSx with added radio capabilities. So as to the GPS stuff, there's lots here on that unit, not as much on the Rino itself. The neat thing about the Rino, of course, is that if others in your party have Rinos and you are within radio range, same frequency, & a few other details, you can find each other with these units. I started a thread that turned out to be very informative on in that regard, "Rinos and Search/Rescue" (A mod could make that a link, go ahead if you want).

As well, a fellow over there posted a link to all kinds of radio harnesses and carriers for SAR teams, maybe you'd find one there.

Best to you,

Tom

Thanks for your insight and help with this subject. Your thoughtfulness is appreciated.

I saw the harness for the SAR teams and that really prompted my search for a superior quality case. Again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Aloha,

allen

If you're ever in Hilo again, you'll have to show me how to use it. :D

You know I was just eyeballin this rino and was thinking about it because I want a 60csx but use a frs radio alot but get tired of 2 units to carry.

I found lots of extra stuff for the rino (case,holders,cradle) at gpscity.com and gpsnow.com

Now I just need to wait for my tax return and sell my quest.

When you get it type up a review and put it here for all to see

I have one of these units and can not say enough good things about it. I play with it daily and find it to be really accurate. The radio feature is "OK" but as I have my Ham radio License I would have preferred the radio be configured for that or at least be able to get the unit configured for the Ham frequency's. The only thing I do not like is that you have to power off the radio each time you power up the GPS. If you can afford one of these units I would say "go for it" as you will not be disappointed.

Happy Caching!

Thank you so much for your reply. I "think" I may just have one under the Christmas tree. Not sure! Just a strong hunch! (seeing that I ordered it. :)

I will have to get in touch with you whenever I get to open it Christmas. I'll have to have the 101 walk-through.

Do you have a case for yours? What kind?

Thanks,

Allen

I too am looking at this unit but I can't find many comments about the radio's performance. I know that the GPS end of it will be awesome for reception because of the new chip but the 5 watt radio has me wondering. Another thing for me is that I must buy two of them $$$... or buy a good set of radios and a Vista HCX. This is my own dillema I am trying to decide on. AllenTenn if you do get on for Xmas please write up a review of some sort for all of us looking to buy it.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

I will be glad to write a review. As you can tell, I am just a 'tadpole' :) But I will try to pass on some information that was not afforded to me during my search. I have gained a new appreciation for the opinions of others and the forum response. I will seek to provide some of the information I wish I would have had. :)

It may sound rather crazy, but I hunt by myself 95% of the time and will most likely not use the radio feature that much. I really liked the idea of having the weather channel though. I hunt the slopes of Mauna Kea where the weather changes rather rapidly. For about $50 more I thought it would be worth the money spent. Of course, it will be nice when I am hunting with someone with a Rino/radio.

As for a place to purchase the Rino, I went through Amazon and found what I consider a good deal ($350). That was about $150 off the suggested price.

I will be sure to post some information as I learn about this product.

Aloha,

allen

We have five Rino 120 units and use them to keep track of the boys when we are all out together. I was disappointed in the radio quality. As a gps unit though.... they are super. I also have a GPS60CS and it has done a wonderful job. All of Garmins outdoor units seem to be very well made. I will be watching for your review. I am betting you will be very happy with this unit. Glen

I also looked at the 120 but it only has 1 watt of radio power vs the five in an HCX, plus the HCX will be amazing with its sat. locking ability. I borrowed a Vista HCX from a friend of mine and found that its very hard to LOSE sat. reception, the units with the new chip (H version) are truly a step forward for Garmin.

Jeff

I am new to the GPS scene and have been researching units to use for hunting/geocaching in Hawaii. Unfortunately, I didn't find this forum until after I ordered my Rino 530HCx. I asked questions in other forums but didn't really receive much feedback.

I was wondering if there were any other Rino 530hcx users out there that might tell me some of the pros and cons of the system? Anyone used theirs in Hawaii?

I am also looking for a case that I can use to attach this unit to my hunting backpack. I loved the Conterra holster that was suggested to someone else. My only problem is that I already have a backpack on. Any other holster/packs that I am missing?

Thanks for your response!

This thread caught my eye as a potential upgrade for me. I like almost everything except the rechargeable lithium ion battery (with only 14 hours of estimated battery life). A second battery pack is about $50. I'll stick with my NiMH rechargeables and the ability to use standard AA's, if need be.

I am sure they made numerous improvements, we bought the 120s when they first came out. Top flight stuff then. B) Technology marches on, they have been used and abused for several years now and nothing has failed on any of them. Our experience has been nothing but good, high quality, tough stuff! Likecomputers, there is always something better tomorrow. ;) Glen

This thread caught my eye as a potential upgrade for me. I like almost everything except the rechargeable lithium ion battery (with only 14 hours of estimated battery life). A second battery pack is about $50. I'll stick with my NiMH rechargeables and the ability to use standard AA's, if need be.

I believe they sell an adapter that holds AA batteries. I personally liked the idea of having the rechargeable battery pack. My uses allow me to be home at night so charging is not an issue. Plus, I have the ability to charge in my vehicle.

For camping and some other uses, I could see your reservations. Even that would take several sets of rechargeable AA's as the use with AA's I believe is only 25-30 hours.

Edited by AllenTenn

To those interested in the Rino 530HCx:

I have been playing with mine for the last few days. I am enjoying it, though I have not discovered the full potential of such a wonderful product. I am using the Topo 2008 and found it to be dead on in some situations and a off quite a bit in others (such as placing a building on a completely different side of the road).

As for the battery life, I have left it on all day, playing with it sporadically, and it is still at 46% at the end of the day.

Due to the interest shown in this post, if someone has a question I might could answer I will try my best. Who knows. maybe I might learn something too. :back:

AllenTenn,

Have you tested the Radio functions range yet? I know you live in Hawaii so you obviously have the mountianous range that you could use to see just how well the full 5 watts of power from it could perform in and around the mountains. Oh and BTW, the Topo situation you spoke of is very common no matter where you live.

Thanks,

Jeff

AllenTenn,

Have you tested the Radio functions range yet? I know you live in Hawaii so you obviously have the mountianous range that you could use to see just how well the full 5 watts of power from it could perform in and around the mountains. Oh and BTW, the Topo situation you spoke of is very common no matter where you live.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

I have not tried the radio feature yet. I am actually visting family in TX this week and FL next week. I will probably be able to play around with the radio next week in FL; can't really in TX. I will be back in Hawaii after the first of the year. I will be able to tell more about the other then.

The weather radio works good! B)

Aloha,

allen

Well, I have finally returned to Hawaii. Unfortunately, I was unable to test the radio function in FL. Therefore, I cannot tell you all about it. My radio usage has been limited to a few bleeds of other conversations.

As far as the gps unit, I am loving it. I still have a long way to go in learning all that it can do but have enjoyed it immensely. I took it on my first hunting trip yesterday. In gulches and thick cover it never lost signal. I was able to calculate how far I walked, my speed, and elevation, among many other things. It was nice having the comfort to know that I always knew where I was in relation to my truck. (Something I thought so simple until a routine hunting excursion left me completely turned around. Even with someone who knew the woods!)

All in all, I am enjoying my Rino 530 HCx.

My only con, is that I was hoping to use the weather radio on the mountain. I found out yesterday it doesn't catch a signal, other than an occasional bleed through. :D

I got lost once in a four square mile area that was all creeks and wheat fields. It was foggy and finally I just walked to the road, I am not sure I could have centered my position any straighter across the section from where the truck was. A four mile hike, either way or chancing a trip back through the maze. Often since, I wish I would have been smart enough to pack a gps when hunting. Some of us never learn....

I got lost once in a four square mile area that was all creeks and wheat fields. It was foggy and finally I just walked to the road, I am not sure I could have centered my position any straighter across the section from where the truck was. A four mile hike, either way or chancing a trip back through the maze. Often since, I wish I would have been smart enough to pack a gps when hunting. Some of us never learn....

yea, i have a pretty good sense of direction, but was sure messed up this day. Ended up one road over--without crossing a road--and below the truck when I was sure I was above. Again, there were two of us and the other guy is a firefighter. So, we're not just absent-minded, morons. :D

Sense that time, I am sure to go where I know the terrain and the roads surrounding them.

I bought two Rino 530HCx's and like many others cannot say enough good things about them. Since there has already been a lot of talk about them I'll just give a quick run down.

1. Radio Range

In the city I've been able to get 2.5 miles with both parties can send data (coordinates) and talk enough to understand each other. I've gotten over 3.6 miles in the city with one party can year and receive data (coordinates) but the sending party cannot hear anything until he gets under 3 miles and not clear until closer to 2.5 miles. Every location will be different, but that 5W transmitter punches through a lot! It's been my experience that you can send data (text messages and coordinates) further than you can talk reliably. In the country side and especially if one, or more, person(s) is on a hill you can reach out there to that 10+ miles.

2. Accuracy (Maps)

I've been using the US TOPO 2008 and have experienced some of the same inaccuracies as others in this forum. However, I believe it's the maps fault more than the GPS unit and will be added the North American City Navigator NT soon with the hope of better accuracy and the ability to use the turn-by-turn directions on something other than main highways. The turn-by-turn directions (like a TomTom), I think, is not something the US TOPO is meant for.

3. Reliability

I've had one freeze during transmission once and the other stop recognizing the joy stick (thumb stick) being held in one direction. This caused me to have to continually tap the joystick over to make it move instead of it just moving the cursor as long as your had it held in one direction. The first problem was resolved by removing the battery (power button wouldn't work) and replacing it, the second was solved by turning it off and then back on via the power button. I've been using them all day every day for about a week now, yes I play with it at work and go benchmarking at lunch, SO WHAT! These days it's hard to get any software written by someone with a little pride in their work, however, for how much I click and use these things (kinda a torture test) I'd say they are reliable. Nothing a reboot wouldn't fix and it was just once per unit in the week I've had them. No data lost.

4. GPS signal strength

Let me put it to you this way, I have to bury myself in steel reinforced concrete to get it to drop signal every once in a while. Excellent strength inside normal residential housing and "weak signal" in steel structures (faraday cage effect), you loose signal strength on other devices, like cell phones, in places like that too. Another way of putting it is that I have my bed, kitchen and desk at work as accurate waypoints.

5. Battery life

Get the $50 battery pack! It's worth it. It comes with one already if you get a new one and I have that screen on all day and use it all day, from 8:00am to midnight and the lowest I've gotten it down is 42%. Recharge time is a bit slow, a full six hours for a dead battery. (I used the battery up that it came with [~25% charge] and then recharged it to 100%) Save that first charge it had from the factory, I have yet been able to stay away long enough to drain it completely.

6. Accessories

Here are some tips, the belt clip that comes with it is awesome. Get at LEAST a 2 gig microSD card, bigger the better, you need at least a 4 to get all the US for any kinda decent map. Get an ear bud, Garmin makes one for it that works great, but it's pricey. Although it is great quality. Get a screen protector (http://www.shieldzone.com/item_description/GARRINO530.html). Get the auto suction cup, those work great, especially with the ear bud! Lots of fun. Don't forget the car charger!

7. $Price$

I used NexTag (http://www.nextag.com/Garmin-Rino-530HCx-Expandable-548088037/prices-html) to find the best price. I got mine for $348/unit shipped minus extra accessories. An excellent price if I do say so myself, and the price will do nothing but drop, just like most all electronics.

I got the accessories from tool-home.com (http://www.tool-home.com/products/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=rino&x=0&y=0). The accessories is where you get kicked in the nuts. I couldn't find discounted accessories ANYWHERE for these things. So I settled for a place where I could find all the accessories made for the Rino in one place that was as low as possible, so save on shipping. Unbeknownst to me, until I placed my order, tool-home.com is in Austin, Tx, I'm in Texas too so I paid sales tax :D . I ordered my 2GB microSD cards from tigerdirect.com for $24.95/card+shipping (which is cheap) but was showed up when a coworker ordered a 2G microSD, for her cellphone, off of buy.com for $9.99. Buy.com has deals like that, especially if you sign up for a new google account. All in all my accessory beinge for my two Rino 530HCx's got up close to $200, OUCH! This doesn't count maps, if you don't have any!!! The map that comes with it sucks, although the one good thing is that it shows info for freeway exits, but that's it for the coolness of that map.

Conclusion

All in all I'm extremely happy with my purchase and plan on buying several more. I plan on getting everyone in the family loaded up with one. Once I got to thinking about it, we (me my parents, siblings, inlaws and sibling-in-laws) are hardly ever more than the range of the 5W transmitter away from each other. Plus, we as families have recently been introduced into geocaching and we're all having a blast. Plus! these will come in VERY handy in emergency situations. Especially when cell phones cannot be used, for whatever reason. They even have text message capability! I can't tell you how awesome these things are anymore so I'm finishing my review right now. HAVE FUN!

I hope this review helps and don't forget, even though the 530HCx has a voice scramble feature, others with Rino 530HCx's with the scramble set to ON can DESCRAMBLE your voice and data! Although, depending on where you are, that's probably not very likely! :D

Edited by mitzip

mitzip,

Sounds like you have put this thing to the test! Unfortunately, I have not had other users to maximize the radio functions, but look forward to using them as you have mentioned.

Like you, I have been unable to drain this battery. I thought i was doing pretty good yesterday. It was at about 60% when i left to go hunting. After traveling and hunting for 5 hours, continually playing with it, and leaving it on all night, I thought I had pretty well drained it. Only to plug it in for recharging and finding it still with 9% battery life. I am not sure how much more you can do to drain it in 14 hours.

Thanks for your review!

mitzip,

Wonderfully telling review. Thank you so much for posting prices with links! I do have a couple of questions for you:

1) Have you, or anyone reading this, had experience using a 530hcx/520hcx with a 120/130? The rest of my hunting group has one of those models and I will most likely be getting a 530/520.

and

2) How do I become a member of your family so I can get "loaded up with one"?

That has got to be one of the most informative FIRST posts I have ever read! Welcome to the forums here!!!

Thanks for such a great review, just one question; have you found anything that you don't like about it?

Thanks Jeff in Pa!! I was just reading all the posts and was thinking to myself of what I would have liked to have seen about a product, before making that substantial purchase.

As for your question of what I don't like about the 530HCx, here it goes.....

1. Software

Had two or three more software hick-ups. Had to disable and re-enable the radio to get audio to come back once and had my maps go nuts putting me off in ten-buck-two with chucks of the maps missing. A reboot (off and then on again) solved the problem, but I don't think that kinda stuff should happen. Granted, this is a very sophisticated piece of equipment and the more complicated anything is the more chance of problems with it, so I guess it's a trade off. I've only had about 5 software problems in 2 weeks of solid everyday use and not all required a reboot to fix the problem, plus I click the thumb stick a bit much sometimes. Also, again no data loss.

2. Push-to-Talk button and earbuds

The push-to-talk button could give you a little more of a "click" feel so you know it's pressed down properly. The way it is you end up pressing on it too hard without realizing it. I've been using the earbud with push-to-talk button on it and that one clicks correctly. Also, the space just outside the connector the the headset/earbud is shaped so that the earbuds that I have for my 2 watt Motorola 7400 GMRS talkies won't fit. It's the exact same plug and exact same mic with push-to-talk button, but the connector on the Motorola earbud is fatter and won't snuggly fit in all the way, even though the connector itself is the same. Minor annoyance, but caused me to purchase the Garmin brand earbuds.

3. Antennas

I don't know what you could do with them, but I would like to have the antennas be more ridged. It seems to me that if you are going to have a permanently affixed antenna it shouldn't bend and should as tough as you could get them. I could be wrong and I'm not a RF (Radio Frequency) Engineer either.

That's about it for my problems with them and most of these I have noticed in my second week of use. I'm still thoroughly pleased with my purchase and plan to get some more!

Unfortunately, I have not had other users to maximize the radio functions, but look forward to using them as you have mentioned.

Maaan, testing the max radio distance was the first thing I wanted to do from the time I ordered it. I'm still doing it, getting a feel for different environments. From my bathroom, in my house, with the door closed, near the bathtub, I can talk a car coming into town almost 2 miles away. That is through lots of buildings and my town isn't two miles all the way across it, so it works out pretty good for me. And for clarification, I was NOT taking a bath and both the car and myself were at the same elevation.

1) Have you, or anyone reading this, had experience using a 530hcx/520hcx with a 120/130?

2) How do I become a member of your family so I can get "loaded up with one"?

1. No I haven't had any experience with interoperability between the models. Although, for the kiddos in the family I'm considering getting the 130 because it still has the voice scramble feature and compass/weather/etc. and I don't have to worry about the kids with a $350 piece of equipment. Although, they ARE supposed to be rugged and the anything below a 520 is just 1 watt transmit power, the kiddos have these things so we can keep track of them, why would I want to limit the range of tracking? So I'm still torn on what to do there.

2. Unless you are a young female, all my family has already been paired up, sorry. :unsure: Honestly, even if you were a young female, I wouldn't want to put you through the grief being with any of my brother-in-laws, so there you have it. :unsure:

Sorry it took so long to reply to you guys, I forgot about my post and just today decided to check and see if anyone saw it. I'm glad I could help, thanks for the praise everyone.

Again, thanks to all of you that have made this post worth it. I really wish I had this from the beginning stages of my search. Your experience and willingness to share is priceless.

I have had one issue that I cannot totally resolve. A kind member has helped me but I haven't found the solution yet. I hunt in some areas that the dirt roads and trails are not listed. I am trying to put them on my map permanently but have been able to do so only by tracking points, which only 20 are allowed and those do not show up on the map unless called upon.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? Any way to resolve this? When I am hunting I would like to know where my the roads are.

Thanks,

AllenTenn

Glad to hear that you are not afraid to spill out anything you did find wrong.

Nope, I'm not. :unsure:

I would like to know if anyone else comes across any software annoyances like I have.

Also, more radio FYI; I easily talk from inside my house (on the 5 watt 530HCx) to inside my in-laws house (a 2 watt Motorola T7400), a distance of 1/3 mile (as the crow flies), through town clearly everyday. Oh and channel 5 can pick up stray cordless phone conversations. I can only imagine it being a very old cordless phone to be working in the ~460Mhz range. :unsure:

PS - Glad to hear from you so soon Jeff. Any other questions about the Rinos people might have, I'll do my best to answer.

I must ask what software you are using?

My Garmin Rino 530HCx came with a software version of 2.40 and a GPS Software version of 2.50. This might also be called firmware since it is installed to directly to the GPS unit itself. To my knowledge Garmin has not released any updates.

I have had one issue that I cannot totally resolve. A kind member has helped me but I haven't found the solution yet. I hunt in some areas that the dirt roads and trails are not listed. I am trying to put them on my map permanently but have been able to do so only by tracking points, which only 20 are allowed and those do not show up on the map unless called upon.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? Any way to resolve this? When I am hunting I would like to know where my the roads are.

The 530HCx allows 10,000 tracking points to be shown and as much as your card will hold to be stored on your microSD card. If you end up customizing a map or adding roads, please let me know how. That would be neat!

I would document all the glitches you have with the software and send that to garmin.

Great minds MUST think alike! I've been doing that and plan to send my completed test of the firmware to them in another week or so when I think I've done everything possible they thought I couldn't/shouldn't. :)

BTW: I just registered one of my 530HCx's on garmin's website and they gave me a promo code for a 10% discount from their online store. I'm outta money this month. So who ever can, go for it.... FIRST COME FIRST SERVED!

*******BEGIN GARMIN EMAIL********

Thank you for registering your Rino 530HCx. You are entitled to a 10% discount* on select accessories at https://buy.garmin.com/shop. Enter the promotional code 3968-3735-7513 during checkout. Your promotional code can only be used once and will expire in 30 days.

Start shopping! https://buy.garmin.com/shop

Edited by mitzip

What a guy! Hope the person who uses it tells us what (s)he got!

I've been considering these units as well, but am just slightly put off by something above to the effect that you have to turn the radio off to turn the GPSr on. So how does the intercommunication work? I've got an autistic son, and thought if we had a pair of these, I could find him if he inadvertantly got separated from us. He's fairly tech savvy, he could call me on the radio if he realizes he can't find us, but then what? If he has to do a lot on his end for me to "ping" his location, that could be a problem.

I was surprised that you cannot use both functions together. Does the radio interfere with the satellites, or is it too much power drain, or... maybe there's something I don't see here?

Thanks for a very informative review and discussion!

What a guy! Hope the person who uses it tells us what (s)he got!

I've been considering these units as well, but am just slightly put off by something above to the effect that you have to turn the radio off to turn the GPSr on. So how does the intercommunication work? I've got an autistic son, and thought if we had a pair of these, I could find him if he inadvertantly got separated from us. He's fairly tech savvy, he could call me on the radio if he realizes he can't find us, but then what? If he has to do a lot on his end for me to "ping" his location, that could be a problem.

I was surprised that you cannot use both functions together. Does the radio interfere with the satellites, or is it too much power drain, or... maybe there's something I don't see here?

Thanks for a very informative review and discussion!

Where is this indicated? Though I have yet to recive mine but I beleve your mistaken.

To transmit location all you have to do is press the Call or Talk button.

I have one of these units and can not say enough good things about it. I play with it daily and find it to be really accurate. The radio feature is "OK" but as I have my Ham radio License I would have preferred the radio be configured for that or at least be able to get the unit configured for the Ham frequency's. The only thing I do not like is that you have to power off the radio each time you power up the GPS. If you can afford one of these units I would say "go for it" as you will not be disappointed. (emphasis by ToT)

Happy Caching!

It's up there, in Post #7. Any idea what he means?

Thanks,

Tom

No fear TomOfTarsus and QuigleyJones,

The radio functions concurrently with the GPSr and together. No need to turn one off to turn the other on at any time. They both turn on at the same time when you power the unit on. Also for locating another user, any Rino user can "Poll" for any other Rino users location that shares the same Channel, Code and Scramble setting. When you push the push-to-talk button it also sends your location, handle, icon to all others on that channel, code and scramble setting. From what I've been able to tell it transmits your location and other data at the end of the transmission after the roger tone. The reason I think that is on my Motorola radios when receiving a transmission from a Rino there is a weird fuzz sound that lasts 1 second after some transmissions, that I believe is the Rino sending data. (If you wondering, you don't hear that on the Rinos, they're smart enough to know what that extra fuzz is and keeps it silent) Per FCC rules on GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) you can send 1 second of data every 30 seconds. In one second of data transfer the Rino can send a 13 character text message or your location, handle and icon. The Rino keeps track of when it sends data and has a little flag that lights up when you can send again, this is to keep within FCC rules. If you attempt to send before your 30 seconds wait is up, it will display a message "Waiting to send data" until it can and then it does and the message goes away.

BTW: You do have the ability to turn off the "poll" feature so that your Rino ONLY sends your location when you push the talk button. If you're concerned about that. Heck, if your that worried you can turn off the location function all together.

I have one of these units and can not say enough good things about it. I play with it daily and find it to be really accurate. The radio feature is "OK" but as I have my Ham radio License I would have preferred the radio be configured for that or at least be able to get the unit configured for the Ham frequency's. The only thing I do not like is that you have to power off the radio each time you power up the GPS. If you can afford one of these units I would say "go for it" as you will not be disappointed. (emphasis by ToT)

Happy Caching!

It's up there, in Post #7. Any idea what he means?

Thanks,

Tom

In addition to mtzip's explanation of turning the radio function off when powering up the gps, I would add this:

For those not using the radio functions of the Rino, and there are some, the radio turns on automatically during each power up., i.e. turning the unit on. From what I have seen, and others too, there is no way to disable the radio until it is manually enabled. It automatically enables after each power up. (e.g., I could foresee this presenting a problem for hunters and others who may experience unexpected feedback, interference, etc.)

Again, do not fear both the radio and gps can be used simultaneously.

I try to connect a Rino to my PC and produse the data that reaseve via OziExplorer.

Dose anybody know how i can do this

Here is one possible problem....

Using a Garmin USB GPS with OziExplorer

(This is a Garmin GPS with a USB data transfer interface not a Garmin connected to USB via a Serial to USB adapter.) <--- This describes the Rino models....

OziExplorer Version 3.95.4 or later is required, earlier versions of OziExplorer do not support this interface.

On the COM Tab - you must tick the checkbox "Garmin USB".

Found here: http://preview.tinyurl.com/2k73lu

Option 2.....

The Rino's default data format is Garmin's propreitary data format. However, the Rino's also can speak the standard NMEA and plain text data formats. You might need to switch your Rino to NMEA format and then connect it to your computer via a USB-->Serial adapter, if your version of OziExplorer doesn't support USB.

-Menu location on Rino to change data format-

Main Menu-->Setup-->Interface

Hope this helps. :lol:

By the way: OziExplorer looks like a neat program, except that you cannot upload maps to the GPSr with it. What do you use it for?

I'm in the process of getting two 530hcx for $600, which I'd say is a good offer. (and sorry theres only 2 available)

When you finish your purchase can you let us know where you got them that cheap? I plan to buy more in the future and would love to pick them up @ $300/unit.

I'm in the process of getting two 530hcx for $600, which I'd say is a good offer. (and sorry theres only 2 available)
When you finish your purchase can you let us know where you got them that cheap? I plan to buy more in the future and would love to pick them up @ $300/unit.
I got them in the subforum below this one GPS Garage Sale (I was going to buy a pair from BuyDig.com for $347 but just hours before I clicked pay the above thread was posted.) :D Edited by QuigleyJones