Wanted.: a good gps unit for a begginer

sticks1983

An etrex vista is the lowest unit you would recommend? If he has been geocaching with a tom tom, i think a compass and map would be a step up, let alone something as simple as a yellow etrex.

You can easily get a yellow etrex for 50 dollars around these forums (or ebay) that would serve your purposes. You can also get a geko 301, which has a small display, yet comes with electronic compass and altimeter for 80 bucks from a site mentioned previously on these forums. Either way, start off small and go from there.

Good luck in your search

Russell

I didn't say vista, I said LEGEND. It has mapping; trust me, on geocaches that take an hour to get to you want the mapping. Not to mention that the legend is 2 steps up from the yellow etrex and you can find it here for the same price sometimes. I have never seen a vista for less than $100.

Yeah, ok, so you did say legend. I guess i had vista on my mind.

Anyway, I still stand by my recommendation that a yellow etrex is the perfect gpsr for someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of money (an 80 legend is by no means a lot of money either). I've hiked in over 7 miles one way for a geocache with my etrex.

Then again, if you are sure that you are going to like geocaching, go all out and get yourself the best gps you can buy. You wouldn't belive how often they come in handy

RussellM

One of the biggest reason I say Legend in additon to the mapping is that I have talked to many beginners and they seem to always want to kick themselves for buying the yellow etrex and not the Legend or other mapping GPSr. He seems to be wanting to cache more so I feel that it is the way to go.

Having the map to follow on your way back out is a good thing to have. I have been able to find shortcuts on my way back after following a trail.

Can you view the coords you are currently at with the yellow etrex? The Sat view with the coords is something I use often when caching. The lag time following the pointer is to much when you are near the cache. When I'm within 20ft I switch over to the sat/coords view.

I have used the Legend since I began, upgraded to the LegendC last year and soon to be owner of a 76CSx.

I WANT one

We have two to sell! Both are Etrex Legend's. We are currently using both of them but Santa is bringing us a Garmin 60CSx for Christmas. We have the original box, serial port cable, manual, and would gladly load it full of caches in your area for you. You choice is: 1. The unit we use every day for $45; however the back light does not work. 2. Our back up unit; hardly ever used $65. plus about $7 Ups shipping.

I WANT one

We have two to sell! Both are Etrex Legend's. We are currently using both of them but Santa is bringing us a Garmin 60CSx for Christmas. We have the original box, serial port cable, manual, and would gladly load it full of caches in your area for you. You choice is: 1. The unit we use every day for $45; however the back light does not work. 2. Our back up unit; hardly ever used $65. plus about $7 Ups shipping.

I will take the $65... with $5 shipping???? so make that $70...... does that sound good .... and is it a reg. legend???

Edited by sticks1983

do you still have the back up unit? I am interested and can paypal or money order to you asap.

Thanks,

Tami

I WANT one

Sorry,

We sold our main GPS Legend to "Sticks1983" just above on this thread. We do however still have our main unit for sale for $45 plus $7 for shipping. I still works fine; but the backlite does not work. We almost always were using with the backlite turned off to conserve the battery. If you would be using the unit after dark then this would be a problem.

Thanks for the interest'

31Coupe