Approaching Half a Million Active Caches

gsmX2

The last few weeks I have been noticing that we are approaching half a million active caches worldwide. :D As of right now there are 493,665. That's a little over 6,000 caches to go. How fast could we get there is everyone who reads this message were to set one cache?

I think less than a week. ;)

GSMx2

When I initially saw this post, I thought "Gee! I think we should start a campaign where we rush to set out another 6.5k caches and break the half million mile mark".

Then , I considered it would probably result in 6.5k hastily planned and placed caches, often in equidistant locations under rows of light covers in vast parking lots and stuck magnetically to every other power meter behind the stores in a strip mall.

I then thought it better if we just allow mile mark occasion it to occur naturally.

;)

When I initially saw this post, I thought "Gee! I think we should start a campaign where we rush to set out another 6.5k caches and break the half million mile mark".

Then , I considered it would probably result in 6.5k hastily planned and placed caches, often in equidistant locations under rows of light covers in vast parking lots and stuck magnetically to every other power meter behind the stores in a strip mall.

I then thought it better if we just allow mile mark occasion it to occur naturally.

:D

Ditto

I'll wager that we hit 500,000 on the day after Christmas. I would have picked Christmas, but I suspect that the reviewers will have better things to do than approve caches on the holiday.

Actually in the UK there are already several pre reviewed caches waiting to be published Christmas day :D by my 2 colleagues Eckington and Lactodorum :D [personally I'll be away from home with no net access] being pre reviewed means they've only got to log on and hit the publish button :D

We get paid TWICE our normal wages when we work on a holiday, so the reviewers are happy to do that.

One of the states where I review caches, Pennsylvania, passed the 10,000 active cache mark at the beginning of the month. And one of my other states, Ohio, will hit 10,000 active caches early next year. The growth is astounding, which is why I'm quite happy with the reviewers' new collective bargaining agreement.

Sure, you can find out a cache's sequentially assigned number quite easily. It's included in pocket query data, for starters. Or, on the website, hover your mouse over the "log your visit" link at the top right corner of the cache page, and look at the URL in the information bar at the bottom of your browser. The number you see at the end of the URL is the cache number. The format looks like this:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=1234567

Of course, that only shows you the sequential ID number assigned to that cache page upon creation. This number has little to do with the number of *active* geocaches.

We get paid TWICE our normal wages when we work on a holiday, so the reviewers are happy to do that.

One of the states where I review caches, Pennsylvania, passed the 10,000 active cache mark at the beginning of the month. And one of my other states, Ohio, will hit 10,000 active caches early next year. The growth is astounding, which is why I'm quite happy with the reviewers' new collective bargaining agreement.

Twice nothing is still nothing, unless the volunteer reviewers are now employees.