Strange Find

zipkast

After finding a cache, I made a beeline hike through the woods to another cache that wasn't to far off. That's when I happened upon a sign hung on a tree with a vial of liquid in a clear plastic tube nailed to the tree and through the sign. The sign was waterproof, yellow with a large Z on the top half and a 1 on the bottom. The overall size was comparable to a sheet of paper and the vial was hanging from a nail that had been driven through the Z on the sign. The plastic vial was approx 3/4" dia and 5" long with a place built in for placing a nail, and an amber colored liquid in it. Has anyone found something similar or know what this is used for. My guess is something to do with tree diseases but am not sure.

I didn't touch the surface of the sign, so don't know if it was sticky or not. I didn't get any pictures either, the first time I've forgotten my camera. I did mark the location and will go back this weekend with a camera and post the pictures. I did try and see if the tube would come off the nail, it would have with a little work but would have distorted the top hook area, but I didn't see any entry place for insects. I think "scuba dude's" LandNav might be the ticket.

Did vial look like the one pictured here? http://theepicenter.com/glowsticks_and_che...ght_sticks.html They come in different colors.

That's definitely what it looks like. Here are a couple of pictures that I took today.

sign31fp0.th.jpg

sign41sn4.th.jpg

There is a college within a mile of the sign location and if they have a ROTC program it could very well have been part of an exercise course for them.

Did vial look like the one pictured here? http://theepicenter.com/glowsticks_and_che...ght_sticks.html They come in different colors.

That's definitely what it looks like. Here are a couple of pictures that I took today.

sign31fp0.th.jpg

sign41sn4.th.jpg

There is a college within a mile of the sign location and if they have a ROTC program it could very well have been part of an exercise course for them.

Looks like it was something to do with a Night Hunt.. Those Vials are Glow in the Dark Sticks.. We have use this same type of Setup for the Boy Scouts at Night.. It's really fun.. But doesnt last long..

LM