Phone, WiFi Windows, geocaching device advice wanted

I'm thinking of buying a cell phone - would like Windows with WiFi and would love the ability to use it to geocache. What would I need? What phone has the capability? What else would I need in the way of software, and how much would it cost?

I have been using a Garmin Legend, and have also used an older Palm device and would like to reduce the number of gadgets I have to carry. I want the phone to take good pictures also, but I don't plan to replace my iPod with a phone so it doesn't need mp3 capability.

Thanks for any advice. If this is the wrong place to be asking, please direct me.

Thanks!

Well, first some general advice.

None of the all-purpose gadgets are real good at doing all they advertise. A standalone camera with a good lens will be better then any cell camera for example. Also, keep in mind that most such devices are not designed to be rugged enough for outdoor trail use. A little rain or snow or a drop into a muddy puddle will destroy most all-in-one devices. Also such devices are notorious for relitively short battery life.

Most of the handheld GPS units on the market are rugged enough for day-to-day troubles. As Geocachers we tend to keep the GPS out a lot more than anything else. I would continue with seperate gadgets mostly for the ruggedness issue. Also quality. Finally, the cost of such all-in-ones is usually quite high. Much more than the individual components.

Having siad that - thier are a few all-in-ones out there - i think Star-Comm makes a unit that will fit your needs at $599 plus the $149 plug-in GPS module.

I currently use my Samsung i-760 (Verizon) for paperless geocaching. It is a Windows Mobile device with WiFi built in. Before that, I used a Palm Treo 700w, but that did not have WiFi. Both phones run cachemate just fine.

If you're a T-Mobile customer, the Wing has Windows Mobile and Wifi. None have a very good camera (1.3 megapixels) so you'll stillwant to carry a camera.

As StarBrand mentioned, they are not very rugged. One careless drop and you will not be happy. Not only will you be out a phone, but your day of geocaching will be over since you've gone paperless.

I currently use the AT&T tilt and love it! It is a Windows Mobile 6 device with Wi-Fi and a 3.0 megapixel camera. The device has the built in GPS enabled and with the GeoScout application (see www.navstation.co.uk/geoscout for details on the application) I can go caching anywhere I want and it is all I need. And no, I do not work for GeoScout, AT&T or HTC.

I have used the previous versions of this device (HTC 8125 and 8525) but neither of them had the GPS enabled so I had to use a bluetooth GPS with them. That alone made them significantly less user friendly.

I'll further agree that you should use separate devices. No, I'm not a veteran geocacher, but I've been around the world literally. Uncle Sam took me into some of the most miserable and harsh conditions man has ever seen. I would recommend that you have too many gadgets, than not enough. Yes, we would love to have a Super Duper GPS/Digital Camera/Cell Phone all in one. Here's the real problem. Imagine an accidental drop of this "all in one" device, whether into water, over a cliff, or onto a hard rock. You could destroy this all in one device. If that were the case, you have lost your GPS to get you out of where you are at (if you venture way off of the trail), and your phone to call for help. With separate devices, you will be much safer. It would be better to have a broken cell phone and working GPS, or vice versa. Any given day, I would rather have a working GPS and no cell phone. Maybe that scenario will slow you down on purchasing equipment that you may wish you never owned.

The words Cell phone and ruggedness dont really go together. I would say, in your car for navigation an all in one unit is OK (I have a TILT and a 60csx and a cannon digital rebel SLR camera).

I always have my TILT, My gps and DSLR stay at home unless I'm needing them for a specific use. The TILT makes a good stand in for pictures and GPS but doesn't beat the real things. Now I do have a few beefs with the way garmin does their mapping (and how google maps are always free and up to date scoring one for the TILT).

I guess if all you had money for was one of those things then the TILT would be it. I paid 150 bucks for the phone and the monthly cell phone charge is 80 bucks ($60 for 850 minutes + $20 for unlimited data).

I'll further agree that you should use separate devices. No, I'm not a veteran geocacher, but I've been around the world literally. Uncle Sam took me into some of the most miserable and harsh conditions man has ever seen. I would recommend that you have too many gadgets, than not enough. Yes, we would love to have a Super Duper GPS/Digital Camera/Cell Phone all in one. Here's the real problem. Imagine an accidental drop of this "all in one" device, whether into water, over a cliff, or onto a hard rock. You could destroy this all in one device. If that were the case, you have lost your GPS to get you out of where you are at (if you venture way off of the trail), and your phone to call for help. With separate devices, you will be much safer. It would be better to have a broken cell phone and working GPS, or vice versa. Any given day, I would rather have a working GPS and no cell phone. Maybe that scenario will slow you down on purchasing equipment that you may wish you never owned.