CacheMate 1.0 for Windows Smartphone

Maeglin

Those of you asking for CacheMate for your Qs, Blackjacks, and arguing "But it's still Windows Mobile!" finally have something you can use :-)

Compared to the other versions of CacheMate, the design for this one focused heavily on overhauling the UI to function without a touchscreen. The list view in particular may seem rather simple, but is very customizable.

This version also includes a significant change in how GPS support is accomplished, one that will be copied to the next Pocket PC version. GPS interfaces are now separated from GPS functionality, which potentially reduces needed configuration and also opens the door to more comprehensive GPS support in the future. Unfortunately, aGPS isn't currently supported, but that's only because Windows Mobile phones in general haven't opened the doors of that hardware to third party developers.

Direct Bluetooth support is currently limited to the Microsoft Bluetooth stack. Navigation and support for Broadcom Bluetooth (which is used in the Motorola Q models) will be added early next year. In the meantime, you Q users should still be able to use the serial NMEA support for location finding.

Other currently planned plugins are:

- Pocket Streets Export

- Spoiler Sync Integration

- TomTom POI Export

I'm open to suggestions for any more that might be useful in the WM Smartphone environment.

As always, check the documentation and FAQs before asking questions in this thread, and limit questions and comments to the Windows Smartphone version of CacheMate. The other versions have their own threads.

Enjoy!

Those of you asking for CacheMate for your Qs, Blackjacks, and arguing "But it's still Windows Mobile!" finally have something you can use :-)

Compared to the other versions of CacheMate, the design for this one focused heavily on overhauling the UI to function without a touchscreen. The list view in particular may seem rather simple, but is very customizable.

This version also includes a significant change in how GPS support is accomplished, one that will be copied to the next Pocket PC version. GPS interfaces are now separated from GPS functionality, which potentially reduces needed configuration and also opens the door to more comprehensive GPS support in the future. Unfortunately, aGPS isn't currently supported, but that's only because Windows Mobile phones in general haven't opened the doors of that hardware to third party developers.

Direct Bluetooth support is currently limited to the Microsoft Bluetooth stack. Navigation and support for Broadcom Bluetooth (which is used in the Motorola Q models) will be added early next year. In the meantime, you Q users should still be able to use the serial NMEA support for location finding.

Other currently planned plugins are:

- Pocket Streets Export

- Spoiler Sync Integration

- TomTom POI Export

I'm open to suggestions for any more that might be useful in the WM Smartphone environment.

As always, check the documentation and FAQs before asking questions in this thread, and limit questions and comments to the Windows Smartphone version of CacheMate. The other versions have their own threads.

Enjoy!

Hi All,

Boy am I glad this version is out!! I used cachemate for the Palm and really liked it.

But, in my ignorance, I can't figure out how to install it on my Q. I purchased it, downloaded the files, and that is as far as I get. What am I missing?

I guess I thought it would have a setup program, or that my Q would recognize it and install automatically.

Any help from anyone is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeffrey

But, in my ignorance, I can't figure out how to install it on my Q. I purchased it, downloaded the files, and that is as far as I get. What am I missing?

Compared to the install method for Pocket PC, the one for Smartphone is pretty standard (the CAB files are already compressed, so the need for an installer program to manage that goes away). Copy the CAB file to the Q using ActiveSync, find it in the phone's file manager, and open it.

There is a way to do this purely from ActiveSync, but I've never done it that way before so I've no idea what that method is.

I am really glad to see this version; I might have even been the first purchaser! The install went very smoothly and I got my pocket GPX file imported easily. However I am having some trouble with getting it to talk to my Bluetooth GPS. I manually configured it to the serial port, but everytime I try to connect, it says "connection to the GPS receiver lost". I know that the port works okay since both Google Maps and Live Search are able to lock on a GPS position. What am I doing wrong? My device(s):

Samsung BlackJack I

WM5

i-Blue 737 Bluetooth GPS (32 channel MTK chipset )

I manually configured it to the serial port, but everytime I try to connect, it says "connection to the GPS receiver lost". I know that the port works okay since both Google Maps and Live Search are able to lock on a GPS position. What am I doing wrong?

It sounds like, while you configured the NMEA Serial interface, you're actually using MS Bluetooth. The reason I say that is that (I'll have to check the code again, but) the former wouldn't know for sure if the connection is lost. It would notice after a few seconds that it wasn't receiving data anymore, but that wouldn't cause that message to appear.

If you haven't configured the GPS Location Query plugin for a specific interface, it'll tell you the one it's going to use as a default when you use it. Which interface, then, are you actually using? If MS Bluetooth, my first guess would be that having the same device connected with a virtual COM port would be interfering with another program connecting directly to it.

Edited by Maeglin

If you haven't configured the GPS Location Query plugin for a specific interface, it'll tell you the one it's going to use as a default when you use it. Which interface, then, are you actually using? If MS Bluetooth, my first guess would be that having the same device connected with a virtual COM port would be interfering with another program connecting directly to it.

To configure the GPS, in CacheMate I went to Menu=>Options=>Preferences=>Plugins. I set GPS Location Query to NMEA, which only appeard as an option after I configured the NMEA Serial to Port 04. I have been playing with different baud rates, but it does not seem to matter. I worked with it for about an hour last night, but I did not see any other plugin configuration settings related to BT or GPS.

When I open a cache, and opent the Actions option, the navigate, mapping, and misc options are greyed out.

I took another look at the code, and found one case where it might have done that. It's a case that I didn't run into while testing (nor did the beta testers, apparently), but it's theoretically possible and it may be what you're running into. I've just uploaded a new CAB file to the site, so try downloading it again.

The reason those menu options are greyed out is because there are no plugins installed that support them, nor do any supporting plugins really exist yet. It's something called forward thinking.

I took another look at the code, and found one case where it might have done that. It's a case that I didn't run into while testing (nor did the beta testers, apparently), but it's theoretically possible and it may be what you're running into. I've just uploaded a new CAB file to the site, so try downloading it again.

The reason those menu options are greyed out is because there are no plugins installed that support them, nor do any supporting plugins really exist yet. It's something called forward thinking.

Can I use this for my BB curve??

Thanks for uploading the new CAB. I uninstalled the previous ver and installed the new one. However, I am still only seeing one option for GPS connection: NMEA Serial. Again, this is only after I specify my COM port. Before that, I have no options. Should there be a NMEA MS Bluetooth option? I am experiencing something called frustration.

Thanks for uploading the new CAB. I uninstalled the previous ver and installed the new one. However, I am still only seeing one option for GPS connection: NMEA Serial. Again, this is only after I specify my COM port. Before that, I have no options. Should there be a NMEA MS Bluetooth option? I am experiencing something called frustration.

Apparently the entire point was lost... the fix wasn't to give you something your device never had (the MS Bluetooth stack), but to fix the problem you were having with the NMEA Serial plugin and not keeping a connection to the GPS receiver.

Apparently the entire point was lost... the fix wasn't to give you something your device never had (the MS Bluetooth stack), but to fix the problem you were having with the NMEA Serial plugin and not keeping a connection to the GPS receiver.

You're right, I missed the point. I got it working this time (NMEA Serial, Port 4, 4800 baud). It found my location.

I think I had unrealistic ideas, about the capabilites of the program. I thought it would have a virtual compass that showed my bearing and distance to a cache or waypoint that I selected from the database. Obiously you have those capabilities planned for the future, but not yet. Kudos on a great little program anyway.

I think I had unrealistic ideas, about the capabilites of the program. I thought it would have a virtual compass that showed my bearing and distance to a cache or waypoint that I selected from the database. Obiously you have those capabilities planned for the future, but not yet. Kudos on a great little program anyway.

Yes, well, you have to start somewhere :-) Navigation support is indeed planned for early next year. The hurdle with that right now is figuring out a UI layout that works on the smaller screen, but I'm getting there.

It seems that the smartphone version of CacheNav didn't take that long, after all. From the site...

Release - CacheMate 1.0b (WM Smartphone)

This release adds support for GPS navigation, in the form of a Windows Smartphone version of the CacheNav plugin. It offers simple compass navigation when used with a connected GPS receiver. Enjoy!

1) There's no need to repeat, especially in the space of a minute.

YEAH THANKS FOR THAT!!!!!!!!! EVER heard of a server that does not work and something gets posted twice????????????

2) Blackberry devices run neither Windows Mobile nor Palm OS, so no.

Wow that was the ONLY answer I needed!

Thanks Thanks Thanks!!

It seems that the smartphone version of CacheNav didn't take that long, after all. From the site...

Release - CacheMate 1.0b (WM Smartphone)

This release adds support for GPS navigation, in the form of a Windows Smartphone version of the CacheNav plugin. It offers simple compass navigation when used with a connected GPS receiver. Enjoy!

I installed cachemate on my Moto Q, running WM5. I cannot seem to import my gpx file. Also, tried to change database, but would not. Any help apprecaited

Edited by tanner_scout

I installed cachemate on my Moto Q, running WM5. I cannot seem to import my gpx file. Also, tried to change database, but would not. Any help apprecaited

Some details would help. Why exactly can't you import the file? Are there any errors displayed?

As for the inability to select a database, if the program is unregistered then that explains it... that's one of the trial limitations.

I am also having problems getting my .gpx file, which I createdin gsak, to be recognized by Cachemate. I have downloaded the cachemate converter and exported the resulting pdb file onto my blackjack, but I cant open the file directly on my phone. When I do, it says the file is corrupted. Nor can I figure out how to get Cachemate to even look for the file. ANy ideas?

Edited by j0n3z_clan

I am also having problems getting my .gpx file, which I createdin gsak, to be recognized by Cachemate. I have downloaded the cachemate converter and exported the resulting pdb file onto my blackjack, but I cant open the file directly on my phone. When I do, it says the file is corrupted. Nor can I figure out how to get Cachemate to even look for the file. ANy ideas?

The only problem here has a name... misconception.

The only version of CacheMate that recognizes a Palm PDB file is the one for Palm OS. The Windows Mobile versions import GPX files directly, or you can use the CMConvertWM program (not CMConvert) to pre-process that into a CWF file and use the included plugin to import it.

The only version of CacheMate that recognizes a Palm PDB file is the one for Palm OS. The Windows Mobile versions import GPX files directly, or you can use the CMConvertWM program (not CMConvert) to pre-process that into a CWF file and use the included plugin to import it.

Thanks! It took some trial and error, (finding what directory to place the file in) but I finally got it to work. This is very cool. Thank you for the help.

Some details would help. Why exactly can't you import the file? Are there any errors displayed?

As for the inability to select a database, if the program is unregistered then that explains it... that's one of the trial limitations.

Im running the trial version, thats why its not working for me.

Would like before buying. Any other software apps that I could try?

Im running the trial version, thats why its not working for me.

That's why you can't import a file? That makes absolutely no sense. File import works with the trial version... you're limited to 1 database containing up to 10 records, but everything else is fully functional.

Would like before buying.

Those limits will go away when you register the software, not before. Otherwise, what would be the point?

Just installed the program without issue. Awesome.

Questions:

What is the specific procedure for saving the GPX file from geocaching.com then getting it onto my Q. Looks like when I try to import a GPX file, it defaults to device:\My Documents. Can I modify the default search location to my local computer or my storage card?

I can import the file if first save the GPX to the default location on the device and then do an import. Is it possible to streamline the process? Sorry for the questions...I didn't see a user guide step-by-step directions in the FAQ or documentation.

From the website...

Release - CacheMate 1.0.1 (WM Smartphone)

A "quick notes" cache log feature was added to this release, as well as a "course filter" to compensate for erratic heading reports from some GPS receivers when they are stationary. A few smaller enhancements and fixes were made as well.

Quick notes are stored as text files in a "QuickNotes" directory where CacheMate is installed on your device. The list is initially empty, but all you need to do is create text files and copy them into that directory to make them available.

Motorola Q users, listen up

If there are any CacheMate users with Motorola Q devices (running the Broadcom Bluetooth stack... I don't know if that covers all of them or not) who would like to try out a Broadcom-specific GPS interface plugin, drop an email to support (at) smittyware.com and I'll send it to you. The plugin uses the same stack-specific code that has been tested on Pocket PC, but I'd like to make sure the Smartphone version works as well before I release it, and I currently have no Q device for that.

Thanks!

From the website...

Release - CacheMate 1.0.2 (WM Smartphone)

This release adds support for the Broadcom Bluetooth stack, as well as an option to append quick notes rather than replace log notes. It also removes the numeric limitation to travel bug serial number entry.

Version 1.0.3 was released today, adding support for Microsoft's GPS API. This adds support for built-in GPS receivers in certain devices, once they've been unlocked... Samsung's Blackjack II and Motorola's Q9h have been confirmed so far.

A workaround was also added to deal with the inability of WM6's Pocket IE engine to deal with horizontal navigation between links. Look for "Goto" in the record view menu.

If anyone has wanted to use this version of CacheMate on their phone, but couldn't because their phone was locked against "unsigned" applications, the days of that problem should be numbered. I'm in the process of getting a proper code signing certificate for Windows Mobile, and will be using it on the next smartphone release (in a couple of weeks, if all goes well).

Edited by Maeglin

Release - CacheMate 1.0.4 (WM Smartphone)

This release improves support for Geocaching.com's travel bugs and child waypoints. It includes other fixes and enhancements as well, including a satellite count display in CacheNav. Fields that are not strictly numeric now default to alphanumeric so that they work correctly on certain WM6 devices that, for some reason, interpret a numeric default mode as a restriction (T-Mobile Dash, I'm talking to you).

This is also the first release that is properly signed, which means that it should now install and run on locked phones! It would be very interesting if locked Blackjack II and Q9h devices will now work with it, when it comes to GPS functionality, or if that is a different sort of lock-down. If you have such a device to test with, please drop a line with the results.

The first add-on export plugins for this version of CacheMate have also been released. They add support for TomTom, MS Pocket Streets, and OziExplorer WPT files (for programs such as gpsVP, which use that format).

Edited by Maeglin

I've got version 1.3.2

How do I update my copy? I've downloaded the file but how do I go from there?

I have dropped it onto my phone storage card. clicked on it and it told me it cannot be loaded as it is a smartphone application. Why could I load version1.3.2 and register it if this is the case? What am I doing wrong?

Edited by geocacher_coza

I've got version 1.3.2

How do I update my copy? I've downloaded the file but how do I go from there?

I have dropped it onto my phone storage card. clicked on it and it told me it cannot be loaded as it is a smartphone application. Why could I load version1.3.2 and register it if this is the case? What am I doing wrong?

This is the Windows Smartphone version. You're using a Pocket PC device. You've already got the latest for the type of device you're using.

Release - CacheMate 1.0.4 (WM Smartphone)

This is also the first release that is properly signed, which means that it should now install and run on locked phones! It would be very interesting if locked Blackjack II and Q9h devices will now work with it, when it comes to GPS functionality, or if that is a different sort of lock-down. If you have such a device to test with, please drop a line with the results.

Is there any development going on that will enable this to be installed on an AT&T Tilt (HTC Kaiser) running WM6.1? Any news that would provide me with hope is appreciated.

-Chip

Is there any development going on that will enable this to be installed on an AT&T Tilt (HTC Kaiser) running WM6.1? Any news that would provide me with hope is appreciated.

This version of the software isn't designed for Pocket PC devices. However, there is a version of CacheMate that is.

This version of the software isn't designed for Pocket PC devices. However, there is a version of CacheMate that is.

Yep, and once again a noob asks a dumb question. dang, I was just coming back to delete/update my post as I figured it out!

Thanks much!

-Chip

CacheMate updates for Windows Mobile

New CacheMate versions for Pocket PC (1.3.3) and Windows Smartphone (1.0.5) devices were released today. Both include the ability to copy records between databases, as well as a few list view and filter enhancements.

The Pocket PC release adds the ability to clear a database before importing records, as well as a fix for keyboard navigation of the record view. The smartphone release fixes a timezone issue in exported GPX files.

Notes exporting a la Garmin's Colorado

Plugins are now available for both Windows Mobile versions of CacheMate which export log notes in the format used by Garmin's Colorado GPS receiver. The resulting file can be imported into GSAK, uploaded to Geocaching.com, or used with any other software that can handle it. Enjoy!

Release - CacheMate 1.07 (Windows Smartphone)

This release adds a handful of enhancements, the most notable of which are support for Geocaching.com cache attributes and an open-ended "send log" mechanism. The first "send log" option is also included... support for Groundspeak's SMS field notes. Travel bugs are now listed in the record detail view, and waypoint URL links are now included in HTML notes reports. A workaround has also been added for certain buggy Bluetooth stacks... if you've had errors connecting to a Bluetooth GPS with the NMEA Serial interface in this version of CacheMate, give this update a try.

The Colorado Notes Export plugin for this version of CacheMate (a separate download) has also been updated, adding an optional timestamp to the log text. A similar update for the Pocket PC version of the plugin will be coming soon.