Logging DNFs

GeoPirates2007

There have been several recent threads about this same subject, so you might do a Search to see how many different opinions were given in those. My own practice is to log a "Note" if I don't actually get a chance to do a search for the cache at GZ, a "DNF" if I search, even if the search is cut short for some reason. If I return, I log a "Found it." I do not edit my DNF because that is part of my "Caching History," and it is part of the cache's history. :D

I just went back and looked a a cache I DNF's two or three times before finding it (and being FTF at that). I had only 1 DNF log, that I edited for each subsequent search. i'm not sure why I did that, I would have thought I would have added a second DNF log. Anyway, I leave the DNF's and post a new, found it log if/when I find the cache.

This has always been a bit of a contentious subject as you'll find in the various threads. I always log a DNF, even on multiple returns, if I can't find the cache. Its my history on that cache. There are occasions, though rare, that I will right a note instead and that's for occasions when I am prevented from getting to the cache. For example, I recently tried to do a cache to find the area completely blocked off by construction fencing. That wasn't an attempt in my way of thinking, though others will disagree. I did right a note to alert others to the problem.

So, to answer th OP directly, yes I log every DNF attempt on a cache except in certain specific instances when I log a note.

JD

If I DNF on the same cache multiple times during the day, I don't log the DNF more than once but I do mention that I DNFed it multiple times.

(ex. Went to cache 1, dnfed on cache 1, kept going on the trail, found cache 2. Headed back to cache 1, dnfed cache 1 again, went home annoyed!)

I agree with the masses. Everytime I look for a cache it gets a new log (DNF, Found It, Note - in rare instances). There's no shame in a aDNF, it's just what happened.

I'm not sure that this is what the masses do. There are no requirements to log a Found It let alone a DNF, but it is common courtesy to let both the cache owner and other cachers than may be looking at that cache page what your experience was. If you have something to tell us about your experience, then by all means create a new log each time you look for the cache whether you find it or not. If you don't feel like sharing your experiences though you don't have to. Some people will only log a DNF after they have searched an failed several times, others will log just the first time and not again unless some found the cache in the mean time. It's up to you. (I personally do what Kealia does and log every attempt)

I'll log a DNF for each search, though if I search multiple times in the same day I will combine the logs into one.

When I find it I log a Found It and leave the DNFs. They are part of my history and the cache's history.

Sounds exactly like the personal rule I use when it comes to logging. I have the caveat of if I didn't get a chance to mount a proper search (not enough time, didn't get to ground zero, too many muggles, etc) I'll reserve the right to log it as a Note instead just so those who use GSAK don't see a lot of "unjustified DNFs" when they filter caches.

When searching for a cache, do you log everytime you search and cannot find it? Or just the one time. And if and when you do find it, do you edit your DNF to a Found or log a new entry?

I know dumb question, just humor me please.

If I go out to search for a cache and I do not find it, then I didn't find it, so I log that I didn't find it. Anything else would not be true.

Likewise, if the cache is found at a later date, one enters a found it log for that visit. The fact that previous attempts were unsuccesful is still an absolute fact. Hence the prior DNF logs remain as changing them would be akin to an attempt to rewrite history.

And if and when you do find it, do you edit your DNF to a Found or log a new entry?

When I find it, I log a new Found IT! If you edit the DNF to a Found it, you'll lose your history, the cache loses its history, and the owner (and anyone else watching the cache) receives no notice of a change in log type.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I log a new DNF every time I have useful information to add.

If I went there three days in a row and stood there with my hands in my pockets for ten minutes but didn't even turn over the first leaf or rock, I really can't add anything useful, so I'd probably skip the log. (Of course, that has never really happened, I always have to look somewhere.

If I thought of new places to check and checked them and still came away enpty handed, I'd say that in my new DNF log. That way, other people know that at least one other person has been there, didn't see anything out of place, but didn't find the cache either.

I may be overlooking the obvious, and the next guy may walk right to it, but at least that gives other cachers some clue that it may not be a 'gimme' to everyone.

I think maybe someof you did not understand, I have No shame in my DNFs just did not know proper form. Did not want to send a flurry of unwanted e-mail someones way. As I seem to be Blind and or stupid on this 1:1

We take a weird sort of pride in being blind and stupid on a 1:1 hide from time to time. I can't imagine a cache owner being unhappy with you because you searched for their cache 25 times in two days and still couldn't find it. They might even take pity and offer up some hints. :unsure:

I think maybe someof you did not understand, I have No shame in my DNFs just did not know proper form. Did not want to send a flurry of unwanted e-mail someones way. As I seem to be Blind and or stupid on this 1:1

We take a weird sort of pride in being blind and stupid on a 1:1 hide from time to time. I can't imagine a cache owner being unhappy with you because you searched for their cache 25 times in two days and still couldn't find it. They might even take pity and offer up some hints. :unsure:

The problem with 1-1's is that more often than not, they're mis-rated. I agree with most others about dnf's. Everytime I can't find it, unless it's more than once in the same day.

There have been several recent threads about this same subject, so you might do a Search to see how many different opinions were given in those. My own practice is to log a "Note" if I don't actually get a chance to do a search for the cache at GZ, a "DNF" if I search, even if the search is cut short for some reason. If I return, I log a "Found it." I do not edit my DNF because that is part of my "Caching History," and it is part of the cache's history. :D

This is the same thing I do.

Logging DNFs helps everyone.

As an Owner, if people are logging DNFs, I should check to see that everything is ok.

As a Finder, if people are logging DNFS, I may rethink attempting to find it until I see some Finds (or confirmation by the owner that everything is ok).

Also, as a Finder, I can review past DNFs to see if there have been any changes (owner confirms its fine, others have found it, owner has archived it either permanently or temporarily because of problems, etc) before I try again.

This is the same thing I do.

Logging DNFs helps everyone.

As an Owner, if people are logging DNFs, I should check to see that everything is ok.

As a Finder, if people are logging DNFS, I may rethink attempting to find it until I see some Finds (or confirmation by the owner that everything is ok).

Also, as a Finder, I can review past DNFs to see if there have been any changes (owner confirms its fine, others have found it, owner has archived it either permanently or temporarily because of problems, etc) before I try again.

Yeah, if even a couple DNF are logged, it may get the owner or someone who has found it to go take a look :D

Typically,

If I made a concerted effort to find the cache and spent a reasonable amount of time searching for it, I will log a DNF. Most of the time, I don't go back until I know it's been found (I put a watch on a cache that I DNF). If I don't believe I spent a reasonable amount of time or if I feel like the cache is there, I just did a poor job of finding it, then I may or may not write a note on it. Depends on what I want the owner to notice about the cache.

For instance, after a long caching run in a local park, I come across a cache site, but I'm tired and don't really do a good job of searching for it, I will write a note and explain to the cache owner that the cache is on my radar, but I didn't do a proper search for it. This way he knows someone is going to look for it instead of finding that I bypassed his cache in preference for other caches. I would not log a DNF for it since I didn't do a proper search.

If I DNF a cache and decide to search for it again without a find in between, then I will go do the search, and if I am still not finding it, not only will I log a Second DNF, but I'll log a Needs Maintenance on it. It may be there, it may be fine... but the owner has to check it to clear the Needs Maintenance. Naturally, if this is a Diff 4 cache, I tend to let the Needs Maintenance slide, but if I DNF it twice, it will be a long time before I go back to the cache. Particularly if the owner is not responsive to my DNF's.

But, this is what I do. If this is a new cache with no finds, I tend to not log a DNF at all regardless. DNF's on new caches are the kiss of death on them... I know.

If I DNF a cache and decide to search for it again without a find in between, then I will go do the search, and if I am still not finding it, not only will I log a Second DNF, but I'll log a Needs Maintenance on it. It may be there, it may be fine... but the owner has to check it to clear the Needs Maintenance. Naturally, if this is a Diff 4 cache, I tend to let the Needs Maintenance slide, but if I DNF it twice, it will be a long time before I go back to the cache. Particularly if the owner is not responsive to my DNF's.

Somehow, I find this to be quite presumptuous! If january14 cannot find it on the second try, the owner had better run right out there! (See 'abuse of Needs Maintenance' button.)

I'm quite capable of DNFing easy caches, even when I trip over them. Needs Maintenance is for known problems (wet logs, cracked containers).

I did travel a fair distance to check on a cahce with four DNFs. It was right where I hid it. I'm glad that no one thought it Needed Maintenance because they couldn't find itt!

I agree with the masses. Everytime I look for a cache it gets a new log (DNF, Found It, Note - in rare instances). There's no shame in a aDNF, it's just what happened.

I'm not sure that this is what the masses do. There are no requirements to log a Found It let alone a DNF, but it is common courtesy to let both the cache owner and other cachers than may be looking at that cache page what your experience was. If you have something to tell us about your experience, then by all means create a new log each time you look for the cache whether you find it or not. If you don't feel like sharing your experiences though you don't have to. Some people will only log a DNF after they have searched an failed several times, others will log just the first time and not again unless some found the cache in the mean time. It's up to you. (I personally do what Kealia does and log every attempt)

I am one of the "some people" that log a DNF after I have given up. I'll post a note just to state that I'm in the process of searching but have not given up yet. If I end up logging a DNF, I'll write down the full history of attempts in that log. Same goes if I finally find it. I include my full history in that log too. So there is no history lost with my method. :D

Somehow, I find this to be quite presumptuous! If january14 cannot find it on the second try, the owner had better run right out there! (See 'abuse of Needs Maintenance' button.)

I'm quite capable of DNFing easy caches, even when I trip over them. Needs Maintenance is for known problems (wet logs, cracked containers).

I did travel a fair distance to check on a cahce with four DNFs. It was right where I hid it. I'm glad that no one thought it Needed Maintenance because they couldn't find itt!

Good Point... I've only did one Needs Maintenance and that was for a cache container full of Black Widow Spiders. Typically, around here, if you log a DNF, the owners are quite responsive to you, and sometimes will even provide a hint or two. Every once in a while, you get no response from them and that's okay. I've visited several caches several times to try to find it and will probably continue doing so.

As far as a broke container or a wet log, I carry a cache kit with me everywhere I go caching. If I find a wet log, I replace it. If I find a broken container, I try to fix it or replace it, if doing so will not compromise the cache. If a container seems like it is not going to keep the log dry, I will make sure that the owner is notified via E-Mail. Once I've done due diligience on a cache, I move along.