Among The Ruins

Dinoprophet

This thread needs to be brought forward again. Lots of great sites!

We recently made a trip to check on our cache, The Twilight Zone. We snapped a few more pictures of some of the ruins seen at various locations along the trail.

The Gambo Gunpowder Mill.

48b6347e-1a64-48ac-b99d-03ea3b5cb8cb.jpg

A few of several foundations along the way. The buildings were spaced far apart as a safety precaution in the event of explosions. Not sure how well that worked though. ;)

5a3c3809-a79d-4064-b191-23ae010cbf54.jpg

79866b08-07fd-4079-bd01-ff52b168bdb1.jpg

5127d8d6-5fee-4721-8559-52af7720f391.jpg

Moxie on the towpath that makes up most of the trail.

ee39aea6-64d5-4ad6-9563-957e37ea7d20.jpg

One of the spots where the canal was connected to the side of the path where the buildings were.

54bdfce9-8dfa-4bc4-8ab9-e9f98ce0a398.jpg

A broken millstone

b47336ae-76a5-40ed-9009-cb7adb2e4e98.jpg

In the general vicinity of the cache.

7ebddd5c-f82f-45a4-8f61-a443fe52d7f4.jpg

Lets keep this thread going! Show us your pics of caches found "among the ruins"! :)

This is one of my favorite threads, thought I'd make a contribution from last evening's trip to Lullwater Estate, former home to the Candler family (Coke heirs) and now owned by Emory University in Atlanta - believe this structure, which is adjacent to an old dam, was once part of power generation for the mansion. It has latin inscriptions written in it and would be a very cool night cache -

7daeec08-7c22-4669-8c75-5a512e3f5655.jpg

This is one of my favorite threads, thought I'd make a contribution from last evening's trip to Lullwater Estate, former home to the Candler family (Coke heirs) and now owned by Emory University in Atlanta - believe this structure, which is adjacent to an old dam, was once part of power generation for the mansion. It has latin inscriptions written in it and would be a very cool night cache -

7daeec08-7c22-4669-8c75-5a512e3f5655.jpg

We love this thread too... and thought that picture looked familiar! ;) This was the favorite of the four caches we did on the Emory Campus that day and we have this photo on our fridge.

This was the first cache I ever found ... still one of my favorites. No one is quite sure of the story behind the place, but someone started building a home nestled in the rocks on a hillside but abandoned their work before it was complete.

Castle Among the Rocks - GCA470

7352b38f-4be9-4cdb-88ba-6617b9b17ca8.jpg

Old Whiting Sawmill - GC15DQK - Not much left, but thought it was fitting that a tree was now growing in the middle of the one building that was still standing. Nature prevails!

123c2ea5-a61c-4b9a-b663-95ca701b5ab8.jpg

West End Route 66 - GCPGV4 - Old building right next to the railroad tracks on old Route 66 in Gallup NM

30064e76-c170-4a00-aaad-e270b7d12e1f.jpg

Canyon Diablo~Two Guns, AZ~Get Your Kicks #2 - GCHBMR - There are other pictures of this location posted. This place is a photographer's dream and right off of the interstate. If you're passing by, be sure to stop!

2f3aa286-33c6-454e-9983-26b4b6a4d174.jpg

09b63067-be51-4559-aa77-9ae38b05fba9.jpg

A Goats View - GC1EFZ8 - An old highway bridge being reclaimed by the forest.

44b88bf0-c09e-4efb-9984-81a154dcd226.jpg

Animas Forks - GCKKD2

64fc48a3-19dc-4beb-90a1-c1c230123f25.jpg

On the "old fire tower" this is a really cool bridge on the way to the cache, so you get 2 cool artifacts in one hike.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...66-64263a71b409

Edited by iwikepie

This one is at the site of an old zoo:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c5-01df851fd9af

I especially like this kind of ruin, and the safari park remains that Briansnat posted. One of the newer categories at Waymarking.com is Defunct Amusement Parks. The posted ones aren't all in the middle of the woods, but if you like the stuff in this thread, you might enjoy browsing those, too.

Man, these pictures are amazing! I wish we had places like this in South Jersey that I knew of. They are mostly all in North Jersey. I do know of a few abandoned Nike missle basis. Matter of fact there is one that is almost completely intact with all buildings and missle silos and radar towers. It's in the middle of the woods and in between farms but on private property and it's hard to even get the owners to let you look on there.

Man, these pictures are amazing! I wish we had places like this in South Jersey that I knew of. They are mostly all in North Jersey. I do know of a few abandoned Nike missle basis. Matter of fact there is one that is almost completely intact with all buildings and missle silos and radar towers. It's in the middle of the woods and in between farms but on private property and it's hard to even get the owners to let you look on there.

DUDE! There are ruins EVERYWHERE! There are plenty of places like this on South Jersey. You just have to know where to look.

Here is some of what I found while exploring...

Martha Pumping Station

marthapumpingstation2.jpg

Hampton Furnace

hamptonfurnace.jpg

Friendship

friendshipruins.jpg

Hermann

hermann-building-ruins_0.jpg

Harrisville

harrisvilleruins.jpg

Brooksbrae

brooksbrae.jpg

Belcoville

belcoville.jpg

Carranza Memorial (OK, not ruins, but cool just the same)

carranzamemorial.jpg

The Manunka Chunk Tunnels (kinda North Central Jersey)

manunkachunktunnels.jpg

Then there are the Sandy Hook Bunkers

pathtodarkness.jpg

moreofthebunkers.jpg

There are plenty of other pics that I couldn't find. Plus a lot in North Jersey and NY. I will look and try to post them here.

Sorry the quality isn't that great on some of them. They were taken with my phone. Becasue I was out exploring and wound up somewhere that I wasn't expecting to find anything and there it was!

There wasn't a cache here, but it was a meeting place for a pre-event, group cache hunt. There is a cache a short distance away. It's probably the first time stockings have been hung above the fireplace and a fire was glowing in the hearth in 50 - 100 years.

57bad1fe-6ed0-4bb5-a5dd-4b5a4c720d0a.jpg

30cfa39e-52f0-45b9-b585-f1aa0a12475a.jpg

ec6dc4d3-af11-47df-8327-8ca505148e24.jpg

135a8445-4f8c-4a67-92a4-a53a88c75734.jpg

Edited by briansnat

Reviving this popular thread by linking to a website called "Forgotten Detroit" Its very sad to see some of those grand old buildings falled into total disrepair, but at the same time, they sure make for some awesome urban ruins! The images are all copyrighted, so I'm not going to post any of the photographs here.

Some are coming back. Fort Shelby just reopened a few days ago. So did the Book-Cadillac, very recently.

Here's a recent photo essay in Time showing some of Detroit's decay. Check out the parking garage in photo 6.

Edited by Dinoprophet

Here are two pics of the ruins of Tintagel Castle, a 13th century castle in Cornwall, England, considered by many to be the legendary birthplace of King Arthur. When we visited in the summer of 2007, there were no caches on the castle grounds itself but a few were hidden in the spectacular cliffs overlooking the area, including this one, King Arthur Man or Myth? (Tintagel). :P

At the castle

64315f6d-956f-4467-9e6e-373b18d63c46.jpg

From the cliffs overlooking the castle (2007 Easter Nav'Egg'ation geocoin in foreground)

36bde7de-a503-4ead-8353-77f456177b7e.jpg

Edited by JamGuys

This cache is located at what appears to be an old mill or maybe a fresh water treatment plant.

These ruins are near midtown Atlanta tucked away in a small area of urban forest.

There is some really cool graffiti art at these ruins. Some really talented vandals hang out here.

More pictures can be seen on the cache page The ruins

Here are two pictures I posted while visiting there:

abc91e21-e9d6-4cc2-a485-bd45a764b015.jpg

10ae7d45-d279-4e2a-a277-07d7ee9092a9.jpg

Cool thread. Glad to bump it.

GCG45B is a great one outside Asheville, an old pumping station full of lots of heavy machinery.

1419725_200.JPG

1419725_900.JPG

I went to Asheville on training back in January with this on my Must Do list because of this thread. OzGuff and I DNF'd the cache and Oz had actually found the cache once, but it had since been adopted moved and replaced.

That site was really cool to explore. There is quite a gallery of graffitti to look at as you explore. I really enjoyed the site. I can't post pics because most of the graffitti is QUITE beyond family friendly, but much of it was humerous to me (the nonracist stuff) because of the lunacy that must have inspired it. :D

Haha, I was reading this thread thinking how cool it would be to visit some of these places, and I remembered that I have been to some too!! Most of the ruins around northern California that I have been to are newer then the Gold Rush of 1849.

Telegraph City, GCY0T7

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f0-112c6c7a8c51

I guess I never uploaded my own pictures, so here are some from other finders...

569c5b1c-d076-4750-a631-7c27b525cc43.jpg

By willybee

120f5447-3057-4b12-8247-1fa18c66333f.jpg

By CKayaks

1b90604c-f785-4fc9-a6fd-a826b2d1b698.jpg

By CKayaks

Without uploading my photos, my best contribution came from the info I got when I bumped into the owner.

WRITE SHOP ROBERT found Telegraph City (Traditional Cache)

JACKPOT! I found the Cache, and while I was parked in front of the gate trading out my goodies, a truck pulled up and stopped right in front of me. I was getting mentally prepared to get the third degree and then chased away, but as it turns out Mr. Hatler only wanted to drive through the gate to drop off some feed for the cows. I moved the car across the street and then had a nice little virtual tour from Mr. Hatler!

OK, so...when you are standing at the Cache location, here's what you're looking at.

The largest of the foundations on the other side of the gate, to the left of the windmill was a beautiful, immaculate barn "fit for a postcard" built on the stone foundation. It was painted white with green trim, and white gates at the openings in the front of the wall, with stalls built inside the stone walls that you see now. I'm not clear on what was on the upper level, most likely the hay loft.

Next, if you look to the right of the windmill, you will see a much smaller foundation, which used to be a workshop (Mr. Hatler remembers cars in there as a kid, but before that it was a blacksmith shop).

As you continue to pan around too the right and look across the road, you can see what looks like some random rocks around the field about 120 feet on the other side of the fence, this was his mothers house.

Now you will be coming to the rectangular foundation that is pretty small, and almost directly across the street from the Cache. This was the store.

To the right of the store there is a palm tree, and once there was another house next to that. After it was bought and was being painted for the new owners, some rags caught fire and burned that house down.

The next structure is the square one down the street that still has the roof on it, this was the water storage tank.

There were a few more houses over the years on the other side of the hill past that tank.

It's confirmed, this is Telegraph City, where most of the Chinese residents lived in tents, so that would make this just about "Downtown".

I was there at about 4PM, and Mr. Hatler was there to feed the cows, which I'll guess he does at about the same time each day. He uses the gate right next to the Cache, and it's fairly obvious as you would reach to undo the lock, so I'm sure that he knows the Cache is there, but I didn't ask (to avoid giving it away just in case he was not aware). He never asked me what I was doing there so that may also point to his knowledge of the Cache. This land has been in his family for four generations and his side of the family currently leases this land from the other side of the family (the original mass of land that was accumulated was divided in two by his father and uncle).

Anyway...I left some of my BINGO! Cards, Raffle Tickets, and my old standard Collectible, Tradable GameCards. You can look up my prifile for information on how to win prizes with all of those. Thanks for a great Ccahe, I hope the information helps.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT