Among The Ruins

Dinoprophet

Another one I thought of. In the 70's Jungle Habitat was a popular "safari park" where you would drive through in your car and see exotic animals running wild. It closed in 1976 and nature has taken over again. I have a cache in the huge, abandoned parking lot which is

slowly being re-claimed.

My First Parking Lot Micro

96e13b75-5d87-421a-b435-6f60ee670687.jpg

ed54a6b5-e45a-4e92-8991-18e96697dafa.jpg

3dfb277b-0731-4681-b509-2623ea27a967.jpg

Edited by briansnat

e112af42-bf38-43d3-a7e3-1bb26e56ac93.jpg

One from Sweden, not exactly an ancient ruin, but definitely old and extremely neat! My daughter, Hanna, standing in the doorway, is about 135cm/53" tall!

A lapp used to live here with his reindeers. One day when he was out trying to find food inside a locked barn, crawling between the timber of the wall. The timber fell down and he got stuck half way through. When the barn owner came to the place he found the dead lapp. People were so afraid of the curse of the lapp that they moved the whole farm several kilometers. However, this place remains put and is nice to visit even in a hot summer day.

• Upvote 1

This old stone foundation holds a stage of Barking Pumpkin one of our favorite multis.

4e06f163-7e9d-4b2d-8dba-75dfc0afa585.jpg

This stone bridge is in the middle of the woods now, but it used to be a field for a farmer to graze his cows. It's between stages of The Dwelly Stone cache, now archived.

fe252083-647c-4133-86e8-b3203039c003.jpg

Here's the actual Dwelly Stone:

c14e6643-0088-43df-8094-fd320458d188.jpg

This tiny, ancient burial ground is near Rogers Rangers Cache

This is the final resting place of two Rangers who died nearby in early Colonial times.

bc834070-c958-488d-82d3-6f036d6a3c2c.jpg

25e0f752-19e5-4fbd-99ad-3de664851bda.jpg

This last one is a 18th century stone bridge that still stands mostly intact.

Skim Milk Bridge

2bef60a7-a179-457c-a524-eed45464d757.jpg

78cfd154-2639-4ad4-b1c5-6a25561d0c68.jpg

Hey, knowschad, here are some in Minnesota.

Unrestorable. In Rum River State Forest. No photos, unfortunately. You can make out the dimensions of a fieldstone foundation, and part of a wall is still standing.

Happy Birthday Saint John's Travel Bug Hotel. Near St. John's, Collegeville. Cache page has some good photos.

MILL PARK MULTI. Little Falls. Former paper mill. No photos on cache page. I have started this one but not completed it. I can tell you that parts of the mill are still visible (stack, walkways, etc.), some with identifying signs.

Wenham Walk (GC13QAK) in the UK is one of the strangest places I've visited. Fairly normal walk to the cache, but the little area around the hide was like a time warp, back to the middle ages. There's a castle-like house, two or three old barns and a lovely old church. But, even at 10:30 on a Sunday morning, the place was really, really spooky. Sadly, my camera chose this moment to run out of battery, so no pics. I'll go back one day and take some photos… if I have the nerve!

Unrestorable. In Rum River State Forest. No photos, unfortunately. You can make out the dimensions of a fieldstone foundation, and part of a wall is still standing.

Happy Birthday Saint John's Travel Bug Hotel. Near St. John's, Collegeville. Cache page has some good photos.

MILL PARK MULTI. Little Falls. Former paper mill. No photos on cache page. I have started this one but not completed it. I can tell you that parts of the mill are still visible (stack, walkways, etc.), some with identifying signs.

Come to think of it, we also have The Old Mill Ruins in Hastings:

d8bfe5d4-40ac-45ff-a4e7-49922a6ac7fc.jpg

What's the GC# on that one?

GC143AX

ms.jpg

That's way cool, but its unfortunate that the cache page doesn't offer any history of the site. Have you got any knowledge of its history?

http://www.keenephotos.com/MadameSherris.asp

Sherri's entourage of beautiful young girls caught the attention of many of the gentleman in the region. Unsubstantiated rumors suggest that the castle actually served as a brothel. Her 1927 cream-colored Packard touring car and endless supply of money fascinated the local residents. It didn't take long for her foreign accent, extravagant dress, and stone castle to become the things of legend. In 1962 the castle was destroyed by fire and now all that remains are the foundation, a fireplace, and a great stone staircase.

That would be "The Great Wall of The Old Mill Ruins by Mutsley & Crew (GCVXWW)"

GC143AX

ms.jpg

That's way cool, but its unfortunate that the cache page doesn't offer any history of the site. Have you got any knowledge of its history?

http://www.keenephotos.com/MadameSherris.asp

Sherri's entourage of beautiful young girls caught the attention of many of the gentleman in the region. Unsubstantiated rumors suggest that the castle actually served as a brothel. Her 1927 cream-colored Packard touring car and endless supply of money fascinated the local residents. It didn't take long for her foreign accent, extravagant dress, and stone castle to become the things of legend. In 1962 the castle was destroyed by fire and now all that remains are the foundation, a fireplace, and a great stone staircase.

What he said. As a side note, for a long time the place was only known by locals, as you can only get to it by a then little used dirt road. It's out in the middle of the woods, and you used to have to scramble across the side of a pond to get to it. When I was in high school, it was just abandoned, we used to go out there and sleep out and party. It was one of our secret spots.

Now it's a park, with a small footbridge to get across the pond. It's lost a lot of it's "magic" but it's still pretty cool, and a great spot.

Here's another cool one, that's only a few miles away (again a secret party spot in high school):

GCTA8V

retreat.jpg

It's a stone tower that was built by insane people on top of a hill and has no purpose. For real. (Okay, there's more to the story than that, but I'll leave it at that to fire your imagination)

Edited by Walt Jabsco

When I was in high school, it was just abandoned, we used to go out there and sleep out and party. It was one of our secret spots.

Here's another cool one, that's only a few miles away (again a secret party spot in high school):

I've noticed when I've been to many of these spots, they appear to be party areas. It doesn't matter how remote, either. Cachers who love the outdoors are intimidated by the hike, yet some yahoo will haul a 36-pack and some fireworks out there on a muggy, 80-degree night.

Edited by Dinoprophet

Another one of mine: Ring of Fire

Ring of fire was a movie made in 1961. This site was where the wood railroad trestle used to be before they blew it up in the movie. The goal is to climb down the rocks to the bottom to the wreck site.

Bridge1.jpg

Scene from the movie.

0f2cd482-2d2b-4f24-9473-18eab61afd9a.jpg

After the filming.

aaca6820-6f04-4fbf-9b58-b3b7c4600e82.jpg

The train wreck.

3dbf4cc6-659c-43a3-8122-a59560aa5419.jpg

The cache is somewhere in here.

The 60 ton steam engine landed upside down in the river and was too heavy to remove. It still lies there to this day, but most of the time the water is too high to see much of it. In August and Sept. the water gets low enough to see 1/2 of its wheels and the shine from the chrome arms of the pistons just under the surface of the water. Some of the trucks from the passenger cars are still in the river and you can see their wheels.

This is all cool stuff. Someone ought to go through this thread and bookmark all the ruins caches and make the bookmark list public.

I've been making one ever since this thread started... and I am constantly adding to it, from here and other cool caches I see along the way! Not sure if it's public or not, if not I'll change that right away. The bookmark is called "Really Cool Caches". Have fun!

Great thread! Here's one I found on my recent trip to Oregon. Tunnel Vision ...by nutn2ez

This is an abandoned railroad tunnel along the Oregon coast...amazing to imagine that a train passed through here because on both ends there are drop-offs to the shore below with no trussel or tracks anywhere nearby (that I could see). Many of the locals I've talked to didn't even know this place existed.

0ede0ee4-422e-4231-bd13-dc8f53a57010.jpg

And here's one I recently came across in my neck of the woods. Telegraph City...by Isolino

a14b6e2f-757d-4a49-ab6c-2e27b9c164a9.jpg

6f3119a2-e466-4390-a515-d0a1f9322ea1.jpg

JimAHS

Cool ruins, I wish I lived closer to them. I came across this one a couple of weekends ago, GC16FFT, "The Mansion" It's the remains of a mansion built by an early oil tycoon in 1874. It was three stories, cross shaped, and had 25 rooms.

As it was:

thornhillpp.jpg

Now,

The front steps:

Thornhill1.jpg

The foundation walls:

Thornhill3.jpg

Doors to nowhere:

Thornhill6.jpg

Edited by 89SC

This is all cool stuff. Someone ought to go through this thread and bookmark all the ruins caches and make the bookmark list public.

Let us know when that is completed................will you?

I posted above, but in case you didn't see mine, I have a bookmark of all of the caches in this thread. I am also putting all of the caches I see like this in it. It's called "Really Cool Caches". If you find anymore, post them here or let me know so I can put them in there.

Not quite geocaching-related, but definitely related to this thread. A whole website for forgotten places and ruins. (Clicky deleted)

Another one

You might want to check on the appropriateness of that "clicky" linky thingie there pardner.

GAAAAH! I HATE it when you find a great website, tell others about it, then some @#$! domain squatter grabs it and ruins a perfectly good place to click!

Mods, please modify my links in my posts that mention the "forgotten places" clicky. Thanks.

Don't know if there are any caches near this one, but there should be. Abandoned railroad and tunnel in Oregon

railroadtunnel.jpg

Here is a map of the area with coordinates too. Do you know where on this map that picture might be? Or do you know the name of that particular area?

Blue dots indicate the 1935 abandoned sections of the

Deschutes Railroad. Red dots indicate the Oregon Trunk Line

that today is operated by the BNSF and the UP jointly, and

continues to Bend, Oregon and beyond. Green dots indicate

where the Oregon Trunk and Deschutes shared track beginning

OregonTrunkMap01.JPG

Edited by Arndtwe

After further investigation on that train tunnel, it would appear that the coordinates are approximately N 44 45.750 W121 13.450 at least according to this map. A sear ch on geocaching.com would conclude that there is not a cache at the site, but there are a few near by. some of those would be: Steelhaed masters, Campbell's corner, River treasure, or you could just see the search results for yourself HERE.

Also, after looking through the GALLERY on Steelhead masters, it would appear that this cache is very close to the tunnel.

OregontrunkRRmap.jpg