What's the problem with micros?

GrateBear

... My personal attitude varies on the day I'm out cachin. I view all caching as hide and seek and once those needs are met, I'm easy to please. :D

I see no distinction in sizes versus my satisfaction in a hunt.... But that's just me. :blink:

True, we once 'found' an ammo can hidden behind a bronze dedication plaque on the wall of a branch library. Never did figure out how they did that, great hide though.

It was eerily similar to one that we 'found' crammed behind a memorial to the fallen soldiers in a small town. That one wasn't an ammo can though.

We must have had a really terrible attitude. :D:D:blink:

I'm not sure what your post has to do with problems with micros.

I didn't expect that you would. :ph34r::ph34r::D

Glad I didn't read this thread before placing our micro.

It was a test cache, to see if we could do an urban style cache with success.

Originally I thought it was just going to be a sign and go thing, but I planned for more just in case.

Now it has a TB and a Geocoin in it.

Bright Idea For those that actually want to look it up without the hassle of chasing around our profile.

Short answer, because most micros are hidden with little thought.
WOW. I suppose most blonds are dumb too, or any other specious statement one could make. :D:blink:
Specious? Its a conclusion that I have arrived at empirically.

I've met enough blondes in my life to conclude assumptions regarding intelligence based on their hair color is likely to be wrong.

I've found enough micros in my life to conclude that most are hidden with little thought.

in your opinion.

No, in Barack Obama's opinion. Duh, of course it's my opinion. :blink:

Why don't cachers like micros? ...

Nothing directly.

However here is a list of issues.

1) In Most cases a larger container could have been used. Swag vs. no Swag makes most folks happier.

2) The vast majority of what people consider uninspired hides involve micro's.

3) A Micro can be hard to find based on size alone. No creativity needed to make the hide hard. Inspired hard hides are good. Needle in the haystack hard hides are not so much fun.

Knowing the cache is a micro is another way to say "Uninspired Urban Hide, with no swag, and a dinky log that's difficult to sign, and the cache will be harder to find than it needs to be".

That's not always the case, but it's most often the case.

Micro's have a place. It's no where near as common as is used.

WOW. I suppose most blonds are dumb too, or any other specious statement one could make. :D:blink:

I've met enough blondes in my life to conclude assumptions regarding intelligence based on their hair color is likely to be wrong.

I've found enough micros in my life to conclude that most are hidden with little thought.

in your opinion.
While you might think that those who place caches that you don't enjoy don't put much thought into their hides, you really have no clue as to what their process is. Therefore, perhaps you could explain what you don't like about micros without making assumptions about other people.

If may digress for a moment and get back to attitude. Two days ago I cached with my 4 year old. Every micro was a dissapointment becuase he is too young to understand the aspect of "clever" or "great design" or "mechanically well executed". So, although I tried to pump up the micos he just didn't buy it.

The next day I cached wih an old friend who is a building contractor. We craved the great micros. He applauded the construction, the mechanics, the design. Regular caches were the least favorite of the day. And yes, we found several really good micros. In fact, I think only one film canister, and it was in a great hiding place.

So maybe the problem with micros is actually the company you keep. And, if that company is just yourself, try caching with a contractor or an engineer. Oh wait - I see where this is going...you ARE an engineer and tha's even more reason why you don't like a poorly designed micro. Okay, try caching with a 4 year old. It will inspire you to design a new breed of family friendly entertaining micro.

.....While you might think that those who place caches that you don't enjoy don't put much thought into their hides, you really have no clue as to what their process is. Therefore, perhaps you could explain what you don't like about micros without making assumptions about other people.

No, actually, I've personally met and talked with a few such cachers. I do know thier process, they explained it me themselves. It basically involves a function of cost (micros are cheap or free with no cost for swag). Second most important consideration is that no cache exists at that spot. Third, they tell me how quickly you can spot a place and grab some coordinates. Don't worry about it if not approved because it didn't cost anything to place. Finally, they tend to archive all such caches after a few DNF logs.

I can easily conclude that most such caches are placed in an equally haphazard manner. Lack of thought or caring.

.....While you might think that those who place caches that you don't enjoy don't put much thought into their hides, you really have no clue as to what their process is. Therefore, perhaps you could explain what you don't like about micros without making assumptions about other people.
No, actually, I've personally met and talked with a few such cachers. I do know thier process, they explained it me themselves. It basically involves a function of cost (micros are cheap or free with no cost for swag). Second most important consideration is that no cache exists at that spot. Third, they tell me how quickly you can spot a place and grab some coordinates. Don't worry about it if not approved because it didn't cost anything to place. Finally, they tend to archive all such caches after a few DNF logs.

I can easily conclude that most such caches are placed in an equally haphazard manner. Lack of thought or caring.

You've spoken to a few cachers and you are using the conversation to conclude that most cachers are the same? Interesting.

I have placed quite a few Micro caches and have put thought into each one. :D A few of them are in an area burned by a wildfire. I wanted the caches to be reachable from the trail so no Geotrails would develop over the scorched ground.

Another Micro is in an awesome area. It is placed in such a way that it is easy to find . . .

13fd02a1-24fb-4295-8873-d17051ed5d61.jpg

Another Micro is in a rockpile above a lake in a city park. The rockpile is frequently visited by muggles. If I tried to hide a larger-than-a-waterproof-match-container cache up there, it would get muggled.

Other Micros I placed are in small neighborhood parks where there was no place to put a larger container. This one was placed in the exact spot where I thought the view was the best.

After one of my caches was muggled, I chose to replace it with a micro, in hopes it will stay longer . . .

Sometimes a Micro is the only size that works. :blink:

Alright so...what have we learned?

1. Not all micros suck.

2. Some do.

3. Not all micros are good hides.

4. It's easier to "hide" a micro then to set up an ammo can full of goodies (maybe that's why there are so many bad micros)

4. Some people like micros, other don't, and for others, it depends.

5. Apparently, different people like different things.

6. Some people like to tell others what they should like.

7. Some people like to argue.

8. Never "hide" a cache by driving through a Wal Mart parking lot and casually tossing it out the window.

Edited by PhxChem

I guess this is a good time to finally get an avatar :D:blink::blink:

You've spoken to a few cachers and you are using the conversation to conclude that most cachers are the same? Interesting.

Nice twist on my wording - not ALL cachers - just cachers that toss out lame micros.

(please note that not all micros are lame and that many situations call for a micro and that I have enjoyed many micros I have found. However, most of the "lame" caches I have found happen to also be micros. Some regular sized caches are also "lame" but the majority [in my experience - limited as it may be] are micros. In this particular case, lame is used to describe caches that are ill-concieved, un-maintained and generally located in areas that are unappealling and/or off limits and/or overly paved. I have spoken to many cachers via these forums, personal emails, cache events and personal relationships. I have found that not all but most of these people (cachers) would define "lame" caches in a very similar manner despite the fact that some small group of others may find them appealing. This entire disclaimer is provided as a short summary of my feelings and is entirely my opinion [cause I wrote it])

in your opinion.
While you might think that those who place caches that you don't enjoy don't put much thought into their hides, you really have no clue as to what their process is. Therefore, perhaps you could explain what you don't like about micros without making assumptions about other people.

You're right. When I see a film canister with a soggy sheet torn from a notebook for a log, hidden under some rotting plywood in a litter strewn lot, I have no idea what the thought process was.

Perhaps the hider thought he was making the Taj Mahal of geocaches. But with no evidence to the contrary, I will assume that the hider put little thought into it. To me that is a reasonable assumption. It could be a wrong assumption but I think the odds are in my favor.

Nice twist on my wording - not ALL cachers - just cachers that toss out lame micros.
Take another quick read of my post. I didn't twist your wording. My post didn't read 'all' cachers. It read 'most' cachers, just like your original post did. Edited by sbell111
You're right. When I see a film canister with a soggy sheet torn from a notebook for a log, hidden under some rotting plywood in a litter strewn lot, I have no idea what the thought process was.

Perhaps the hider thought he was making the Taj Mahal of geocaches. But with no evidence to the contrary, I will assume that the hider put little thought into it. To me that is a reasonable assumption. It could be a wrong assumption but I think the odds are in my favor.

In that case, since you are now explaining what it is that you don't care for, I will assume that you don't have a problem with micros, you just don't like those that are soggy film canisters with log sheets that are not specially printed for the purpose hidden under rotting plywood in a litter strewn lot.

I'd like to go on record stating that other than their being a perfectly good CITO cache, I don't like caches like that, either. Of course, I've never found one like that. I've also never cached in New Jersey. Perhaps caches like this are common in your neck of the woods, but not in other areas.

Edited by sbell111

OK, I get it. Some people like micros if they are hidden in some clever way or in a unusual place where a larger cache can't be hidden. But they see that many (perhaps even most) of the micros they find are hidden in some way that they've seen used too many times before, in a place that has no special reason for putting a cache there. If someone points out that many people must enjoy finding these caches (just look at all the logs most of which at least thank the hider for the cache), they will say its only because people are more interested in getting another smiley than in enjoying a really good cache.

There may be many reasons that people like these "lame" caches. Perhaps they like having a cache they can get on their lunch hour without getting their clothes dirty. Perhaps they like being in on the secret that there is a cache hidden there and all the muggles don't know it. Even if it because they like finding lots of easy drive up caches to get their numbers up, this is as legitimate a reason to cache as any other.

Insisting that all caches meet your personal standards is understandable. We each want to maximize the fun we are having. But assuming that because you don't have fun finding a certain kind of cache, doesn't mean others won't. A new cache has shown up in an urban park near my house. It is hidden up in a tree and is five star terrain because it requires special tree climbing equipment to retrieve. You should see the people in the local forum complaining that someone hid a cache that they can't find. Of course it is easy enough to add the one cache to your ignore list. I have to sympathize with the people who want to avoid LPCs that there is no way to quickly add these to their ignore lists. Instead you may simply have to look for micros on the off chance that it one of those clever hides you like. If it turns out to be another LPC you don't have to log it (unless you want another smiley, and even then you don't have to say "Thanks for the cache" in your log).

...simply sort out the micros and get rid of the majority of caches that you don't like.
...and then not be able to find the 25% (using someone else's number there...) that are actually cool? Sounds like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. A bad idea.
I disagree.
I am not surprised. You seem to like to disagree, but since what I was saying is that by eliminating all micros from my searches, I would be eliminating some good caches, and you disagree, what you must be saying is that no micros are worth hunting? I can see by the rest of your post that that is not true...
In almost all areas there are more caches available to be found than we actually have time to find. If one is to ignore all micros, he will still have plenty of caches left to find that have a better than 25% chance (using your numbers) of making the cacher happy. Only after the cacher has found all of those caches that are more likely to make him happy should he bother trying to figure out which, of the remainder, to spend his valuable time trying to find.
Do you know what I'd consider a waste of my valuable time as well as gasoline? Driving by a cache I'm ignoring just because it is a micro, when it is actually at a really cool spot.

That's a waste. ;)

...simply sort out the micros and get rid of the majority of caches that you don't like.
...and then not be able to find the 25% (using someone else's number there...) that are actually cool? Sounds like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. A bad idea.
I disagree.
I am not surprised. You seem to like to disagree, but since what I was saying is that by eliminating all micros from my searches, I would be eliminating some good caches, and you disagree, what you must be saying is that no micros are worth hunting? I can see by the rest of your post that that is not true...
In almost all areas there are more caches available to be found than we actually have time to find. If one is to ignore all micros, he will still have plenty of caches left to find that have a better than 25% chance (using your numbers) of making the cacher happy. Only after the cacher has found all of those caches that are more likely to make him happy should he bother trying to figure out which, of the remainder, to spend his valuable time trying to find.
Do you know what I'd consider a waste of my valuable time as well as gasoline? Driving by a cache I'm ignoring just because it is a micro, when it is actually at a really cool spot.

That's a waste. :D

;)

You stated that avoiding caches that you only have a 25% chance of enjoying would be a bad idea. I stated that I don't agree and explained why.

Heck, if you prefer to find all of these caches, knowing that you won't enjoy 3/4 of them, why do I care. Knock yourself out.

...Take another quick read of my post. I didn't twist your wording. My post didn't read 'all' cachers. It read 'most' cachers, just like your original post did.

I stand corrected.

Nice twist on my wording - not ALL MOST cachers - just cachers that toss out lame micros.

Edited by StarBrand

...Take another quick read of my post. I didn't twist your wording. My post didn't read 'all' cachers. It read 'most' cachers, just like your original post did.

I stand corrected.

Nice twist on my wording - not ALL MOST cachers - just cachers that toss out lame micros.

Good grief, I practically fed back you exact post to you. To think that people say that I parse too much. Kettle, meet Pot.

How about most 'micro-hiding cachers'?

I stand corrected.

As soon as I hit <Add Reply> on my last post, I figured out what you have been trying to say.

Your actual position apparently is that you've spoken to a few cachers who toss out lame micro caches and you are using the conversation to conclude that most cachers who toss out lame micros don't put much thought into it.

Thanks for helping me clear up my confusion. It doesn't speak to those cachers who hide micros that they don't believe are lame, but whatever.

Edited by sbell111

It's certainly true that all sizes of caches can be trache, but my experience tells me that the majority are micros. I'm wondering if that's the experiences of other's as well. Perhaps that's the reason folks are down on micros?

That is not currently the situation in my area, but I can see it changing. I love micros that challenge me, can teach me something new about hiding, or are entertaining in some other way. But micros that are put out simply because there's a place to put one, and for no other reason, frankly bore me.

Of course, the more caches one finds, the harder it becomes to find a new, challenging sort of hide. What is blase to me will probably be full of excitement for a new cacher, and there are new cachers every day.

But when it does happen, for me at least, it is generally a micro (or maybe a small). Its rare that a regular sized cache surprises me around here.

Alright so...what have we learned?

1. Not all micros suck.

2. Some do.

3. Not all micros are good hides.

4. It's easier to "hide" a micro then to set up an ammo can full of goodies (maybe that's why there are so many bad micros)

4. Some people like micros, other don't, and for others, it depends.

5. Apparently, different people like different things.

6. Some people like to tell others what they should like.

7. Some people like to argue.

8. Never "hide" a cache by driving through a Wal Mart parking lot and casually tossing it out the window.

I think that about sums it up. I also sums up about 50% of this forum. ;)

I stand corrected.

You've really gotten around, apparently, to know MOST cachers and how they hide their micros! I hope that someday I can makes statements as all-encompassing as that!!

Of course, the more caches one finds, the harder it becomes to find a new, challenging sort of hide. What is blase to me will probably be full of excitement for a new cacher, and there are new cachers every day.

But when it does happen, for me at least, it is generally a micro (or maybe a small). Its rare that a regular sized cache surprises me around here.

Maybe that's why a lot of folks say location is important. Maybe it's not all about the hide. Maybe if the adventure, as a whole, was more important than any individual element...

Maybe that's why a lot of folks say location is important. Maybe it's not all about the hide. Maybe if the adventure, as a whole, was more important than any individual element...
You make a good point, but I think that even that comes down to attitude.

Not too long ago, I found a micro that was merely attached to a wall in a downtown alley. Many would yawn and complain that the container, hide style, and location were all mediocre, at best. I had a bunch of fun logging it, however. The fact that the people passing by had no clue and that I had to time the find and replacement properly to avoid giving away the location was a bit of a rush. It also helped that the cache was nearby and didn't require me to get dirty or expend a ton of time on it. It was the perfect lunchtime cache.