image featured on the front banner

MissJenn

The images for the front page banner rotation of Geocaching.com were chosen from the vast database collection of images from GPS enthusiasts around the world. Today, I noticed a nice image featured. This photo was taken from Washington D.C. It made me recall a very special caching experience.

814e6293-2f2b-4797-b8f6-608cd6d6dc04.jpg

So, here's a thread to share if you, too, notice a photo from a cache in Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington, DC, or West Virginia featured on the front page. Better yet if that photo is of you or by you, eh?

Here's my daughter, Little Leprechaun, crossing a log to traverse a 20-foot drop in order to get to Another Green World, a cache near our home in Allegheny County. Had Daddy stuck to the trail instead of bushwacking, we would have missed this adventure and photo opportunity:

edf7ff79-2687-474c-b4e0-e68ea4777308.jpg

And here I am, placing a World Diabetes Day geocoin in my 3000th cache find, Umbrella Rock in Venango County. If the surroundings look dark and damp, I'm 30 feet underground in a cave, crouching over an ammo box.

1854babc-a62f-4a7d-b0f8-e84dd2ee7990.jpg

The coin is still there, so if you want a terrific cache experience, head out to Umbrella Rock and pick it up. That cache is on my favorites list, as well as the "Pennsylvania's Best Caches" bookmark list. "Another Green World" is also on my Top 5% bookmark list. Funny how the good photos tend to be associated with the good caches, eh?

Guess I need to reset my bookmark so I come in through the front door every time. I'm missing these photos. Wonder if Jenn's Birdsboro Reservoir photo is still on the list.

Yep, I've seen the shot of Birdsboro Reservoir up on the front page a few times recently. I always click it because I can never remember how far it is from me, in case I take a trip out to see it. :unsure:

Cool! Simon the celebrity GeoDog proves bullet point #3 in my list of "things that get you on the homepage banner."

One tip: take pictures with themes which Groundspeak wants to portray on the homepage, in order to give a positive image of geocaching to new visitors and to maintain interest among existing members.

Themes we see over and over again:

• Signal the Frog
  • Cute kids
  • Dogs
  • Wildlife/ Flowers/ Nature
  • Scenic vistas
  • "Adventure" caches
  • People acting goofy
  • Interesting travel bugs
  • CITO
  • Jeep Travel Bugs

As a recent example, here is a banner image showing me holding a World Diabetes Day Geocoin just before dropping it into a cache deep within an underground cave. The combination of "adventure cache" and a Groundspeak-endorsed "cause" earned it a spot on the homepage. It is always a fun surprise to see yourself or a caching friend when you open the front page!

0c93afbd-4c31-4d9b-a3ab-3ba0cc5a3b0d.jpg

I saw the Caching Through The Snow #4 "backcountry christmas tree" up there yesterday but haven't found how to "print screen" on this Mac. Oh well.

Hey TRL! Thanks for drawing my attention to our banner photo - Super Sweet! All my kiddies had a great time that day, and this puts a little icing on the cake.

Even better (and deservedly so) for you - your event shows up twice.

BTW, on your Mac you can do a screen capture (Shift-Command-3) or better yet, a partial/selected screen capture (Shift-Command-4). It creates an image file that is saved to your desktop and then you can edit, print, etc.

Not too long ago I was going into the site from the wife's comp (testing out something and needed a web site). Just when I got in there I noticed the banner. If anyone knows me, in the winter when I cache I wear this huge, puffy, but warm, red coat. Cant miss me as I trudge through the snow...lol. As soon as I seen the pic, I knew it was me and what cache it was. Funny part was, I just did that cache a week prior. I frantically tried to do a print screen on her comp (laptop, buttons are in the wrong place), and send it to me. I was so excited, just like a little kid....lol. When I got on my comp and went in, there it was again. I hit refresh and it went away. Hit it again and there I was. Called my cache buddy and told him to get into the site. He was already there and seen it and was about to call me (recognized the coat first).

mecache2.jpg

The cache is The Great Umbrella Cache II - GCVDVF

Edited by Sparticus06

Hey Sparticus06... that's me, EagleTrax, in the small banner photo next to you. I happened upon myself on the Geocahcing banner and was just as excited as you! Lol! My picture was taken near Hemlock Falls in South Mountain Reservation in NJ. Ahhh, aren't the little things just the greatest sometimes!

Not too long ago I was going into the site from the wife's comp (testing out something and needed a web site). Just when I got in there I noticed the banner. If anyone knows me, in the winter when I cache I wear this huge, puffy, but warm, red coat. Cant miss me as I trudge through the snow...lol. As soon as I seen the pic, I knew it was me and what cache it was. Funny part was, I just did that cache a week prior. I frantically tried to do a print screen on her comp (laptop, buttons are in the wrong place), and send it to me. I was so excited, just like a little kid....lol. When I got on my comp and went in, there it was again. I hit refresh and it went away. Hit it again and there I was. Called my cache buddy and told him to get into the site. He was already there and seen it and was about to call me (recognized the coat first).

mecache2.jpg

The cache is The Great Umbrella Cache II - GCVDVF