Dorkfish Christmas Contest

dorkfish

After the week I had last week I really need a good laugh. I recently traded for an older version Groundspeak Lackey Coin and thought it'd be alot of fun to just give it away. I'd prefer to give this to someone who doesn't already own one, but there is no way for me to monitor who has one and who doesn't. To enter all you need to do is tell me your funnest Christmas story. Or Christmas holiday season story even.

I will take the funniest stories and put those people's names in a hat & randomly draw the winner. I will draw the winner on Christmas Eve right around midnite.

So good luck everyone! I'm really looking forward to having a good laugh :unsure:

Disclaimer: This post is not eligible for, or intended to enter the cointest.

Not Christmas, but winter related, but it's a funny, true story I just heard today.

A guy hires a plow driver. Plow guy comes to do the job. The homeowner starts with "I don't want you to just push the snow into the road, and I don't want it piled up on either side of my driveway. And don't block the driveway, and don't push it over there or there......"

So, the plow man does as he's told. He opens the guy's garage door and plows all the snow into the garage.

We aim to please!

:unsure:

Ok I'll bite...

Let me tell you a little story that happened two days before Christmas eve. You may find some humor in this. It's kinda long, but bear with me. :lol:

When I was in High school, I bought two season tickets to Stanford women's volleyball. It was always a

chore to find someone else willing to go because they are weekday nights and start around 7pm.

So, when I met this cute girl, I decided to ask her to the game. Anyway, I ask her to go and she says that it sounds fun. I'll pick her up at her townhouse at 6:30. Her father told me to have her home by 10 pm or expect a swift death. No problem.

Ok, so about 3pm my Mum calls me. Her car had some kind of problem, and she wants to borrow my car.

She relegates me to using the old family car stuck in the driveway. My mum has always had the attitude that I owe her for bringing me into this world (and for that matter she can take me out of it at any time too).

Anyways, the 'Reliant' is far from it, it's the old family car you never want to be seen alive in (at least during high school years, - box on a box silouette, formerly silver on the outside (now various shades of rust), homemade bypass electronics because the starter is fried (my dad duct taped a toggle switch to the dash which is directly connected to the starter motor), history of needing lots of TLC and some engineering debug between starts, cool sheepskin interior unchanged since grandma pased on...).

OK, so I have this 'date' (ok the girl doesn't think so, but I consider it a date) and I am actually

downgrading from a slick Corolla. It doesn't get much lower than that. Now I have to drive rent-a-wreck.

So I drive home and trade cars. I hop in the Reliant, and the Gods smile - it starts first time.

I cruise over to the girl's place in Sunnyvale to pick her up. Traffic is heavy, I park and go up to her place (never been there before). I knock and she answers. I say, OK, lets go.

She says, "You must be Ryan". I am confused, since we have met like 2 or 3 times. Long story short - she

she has an identical twin sister! Ok, she is still getting ready so I come in and hang out nervous and quiet.

She is finally ready, and she comes out wearing a red santa hat and has one for me to wear too. I hate hats, they make me itch, especially Santa hats. She insists oon me wearing it and also gives me a green scarf, despite it being California and 70 degrees outside! I look like an elf.

We take off and I get down to the car which she eyes it nervously. "Its not my regular car!" I plead. SURE ITS NOT, she thinks. dadgum. On the ride over, she is checking out some of the 'modifications' that my Dad made to keep the car running. She is laughing looking at them. She thinks this stuff is the funniest stuff she has ever seen. She especially likes the duct taped handle to control the vents. She is cracking

up so hard. I am glad to be such a source of merriment in her life.

Anyway, we get to Stanford and watch the game. No problem. The lady Cardinal spank some sorry school from Fullerton. We have a good time at the game. We get back to the car to go home. It is like 9:37 pm so I need to get moving so I don't die at the hands of her father. I try to start the car. No dice. "It's Ok", I tell

Ann not to worry - this is actually normal. I pop the hood to take a look, and get to work. I really, actually have no clue what I am doing, I don't know anything about cars, but did watch my dad disconnect the mail coil to get it working so I try that.

Ann is actually impressed and joking. I do the job, get in the car, and it coughs to life. We get going. We start driving through the campus using the back roads to avoid the traffic. Just as we are about to leave the campus, FLAMES start shooting out of the hood.

I kid you not! :)

I'm like, "Oh, no problem, this is a known problem". Actually I am filling my pants and have visions of the Reliant exploding like the Hindenburg. Then I calm myself, Wait! - I'm a guy on a date. Show no fear.

I stop the car and check it out. Still dressed like a stupid elf. People honk as they go by. Have you seen Aliens? Remember the slimy rooms with hoses and people parts and slime and dripping stuff? That is what my engine compartment looks like. Looks like a small electrical fire. Hmmm. Fire goes out. I check out the wiring. Major shorting.

Disconnect the battery and start fixing wires. She is helping - she thinks its fun - "Like an

adventure". I check the watch 9:49 pm. Anyway, somehow miraculously fixed.

Start driving again. Got pretty much back to her place when I lost 4th gear in the automatic

transmission. Had to down shift and drive in second. NICE. Were talking and she jokes around,

but I'm on the lookout for more flames. I've had flame outs on dates before, but nothing like this.

Anyway, got her home at 10:33 pm with no Dad in sight, so I walked her to her door. I grinned at her sheepishly and pouted my lips for a kiss as if some imaginary mistletoe hang above us, she laughs and kissed me on the cheek and went inside before I could say Happy Holidays or Good Night! (probably to cry). It took me a week to get up the courage to talk to her again. I managed to get the car back to my parents house too.

Scroll on to present day:

I haven't kept in touch with the girl

The Reliant is used for target practice by the Navy on Vieques, Puerto Rico

I still despise my mum for putting me through such a cruel joke

I kept the Santa hat and elf scarf as mementos

I don't need a Lackey coin, just thought I would share.

Merry Christmas

:lol::unsure::unsure:

Well I have a lackey coin but in the spirit of a laugh I will add something that I just remembered. My two sons were in high school. When my younger son opened up his gift from his brother he started laughing and then they both roared. It seems the older one had gone outside and found a prime piece of dog poop and gift wrapped it for his brother! They thought it was hilarious but me I had other thoughts and that gift was flushed .......

A few years back, I was going to spend Christmas at a friend's house. Most of her family was going to be there, so I had picked up a small gift for each person that was going to be at the gathering. I picked up the cute sweatshirt as a present for her mother (a wonderful woman in her mid-70s at the time). We were all sitting around opening gifts - when I noticed my friend pull the tag off of the sweatshirt I had gotten for her mother. I didn’t think much of it at the time – and figured I must have left the price tag on it and my friend was covering for me… Later that evening, my friend cornered me and showed me the tag she pulled off of the shirt - it said "MATERNITY"... :unsure:

In my defense... the sweatshirt fit perfectly... :unsure:

My Christmas story isn't really funny, but it is unusual and true. Years ago I was asked by our friends to play Santa at their family Christmas party. Everything was planned by the hostess, My wife and I were to come as guests and then at a designated time, I was to duck into their bathroom, don my Santa suit and sneak out the back door. Shortly after getting dressed up I left the bathroom. As I was seaking down the hallway I heard some kids coming, on their way to the bathroom. I saw a dark doorway so I ducked in to hide. As it turned out, it was the stairway to the basement and I luckily caught myself, nearly falling halfway down the stairs. By the time my heart dropped out of my throat and I climbed back up, the kids were in the bathroom.

Then with the jingling of sleigh bells and some hearty Ho-Ho-Ho's I arrived at the front door. After giving gifts to all the children and listening to their christmas wishes, I bid everyone a Merry Christmas and made my exit. Everything seemed to go well, and no one knew that only minutes before his arrival Santa had narrowly escaped disaster and that shaky voice wasn't all fake.

About four years later, the host of the party that night did fall down those stairs, hit his head and died two days later!

Well I for sure do not have a Lackey coin , lets see the funniest Christmas story hmmmmm well I work Offshore on a oil rig and have always seemed to be gone for Christmas and away from my family on this great day . Have been home only 4 times in the last 28 Christmases ! But this year A coworker is going to work over for me a couple days since this year I was supposed to go to the rig on Christmas Day . So after this 2007 Christmas I will have spent 5 out of 29 with my Family ! Our house when decorated is about like the Griswalds in National Lampoons Christmas Vacation ! Really really decorated ! Lights in all the shrubs ,trees and all over the house ! Well while putting up the lights on the front of the house ,my wife who was helping by holding the ladder needed to go to the bathroom .I told her to go ahead I would be fine ! So she heads inside and I continued hanging lights and instead of climbing down and moving the ladder over I tried just stretching out to hang the last of the lights when the ladder slipped out from under me ! I had one hand on the edge of the roof at the peak so I reached up with my other hand and grabbed onto the edge of the roof . Now I am hanging by my fingertips on the side of my house at the peak ! To drop is out of the question because of the table and rocks underneath where I am hanging ! I am kicking the side of the house trying to get my wife to come out . Cars are driving past and I am hoping they do not see me ! This is truly embarrasing ! Finally when I think I cannot hold on a minute longer she comes out and grabs the ladder and sets it back up so I could put my feet on it ! That was all the Christmas decorations I put up that day ! My arms were so sore ! I think they stretched 2 inches ! Now the ladder is always secured and family watching with a camera in case I do it again !! You can tell I am truly loved ! :unsure:

Oh, I hope I win! Oh, I hope I win! :unsure:

My friends "Ron" and "Darcy" had just gotten married, and like most married couples, they didn't have much money. Nancy really wanted a Christmas tree, but Ron (ever the practical one) knew they didn't have the money for one. Finally, after lots of begging and pouting, Darcy convinced him to at least go out and look at trees.

They visited several tree lots, but everything they looked at was out of their price range. Exasperated, Darcy went back to the car in a huff. Ron went over to the "dead tree pile" (the ones that were destined for the tree lot campfire) and he saw a HUGE tree that was about half dead. He asked the lot owner how much he wanted for it and to his delight the lot owner gave it to him for free because it looked so bad. Ron dragged the tree over to the car and quickly realized that he didn't know how he was going to get it home. Finally he managed to get it tied to the top of the car with Darcy huffing and pouting the whole time.

They got home and Darcy ran off to the bathroom to cry and pout. She even called her Dad to tell him that Ron wouldn't buy her a tree! (Her Dad quickly told her that she was married now, and this was between she and her husband, not she and her Daddy!).

Ron went to work. He got his saw and his drill and began to trim off all the tree limbs. He cut the trunk down to a useable size and drilled holes in it where the branches would go back on. The he took the best branches and proceeded to stick them back into the tree trunk. When he was done he had the most beautiful, perfectly shaped tree you could ever want. He went to his Mom and Dad's house and borrowed some lights and ornaments and decorated the tree for Darcy. It was so big it barely fit in their tiny apartment, but it was beautiful and she felt really bad for being such a brat after all the trouble Ron went to in order to make his new bride happy. They have now been married for over 40 years and their children and grandchildren still laugh over this story.

Merry Christmas everybody! :unsure:

*Names changed to protect the innocent

A little bit of history....My dad is blind, has been since childhood. Due to the nature of his disability he is very methodical in everything he does. He buys (well others often do the buying) gifts for everyone in the family. Since he is unable to see, he has to have one of us write out the gift tags. This year in question, being rather impatient , he decided to just give each person their own bag full of wrapped presents and skip the tags. He knows which bag is which usually by feeling packages and recalling what he wrapped and for whom he wrapped them.

Now, enter grandkids old enough to get into the christmas spirit, and some guilty feelings about not putting the prezzies under the tree.

At the last moment he decided to put all the presents seperately under the tree. No problem, that's how we all do it right? Right?!

Well, christmas morning arrives, all of us sitting around and the 6 year olds job is to select 1 gift for each person to be unwrapped. He goes under the tree and ....well this one has no tag. That's weird.

Oh... this one doesn't have one either, or this one?? OH Noooo, realization strikes as to what has happened and well...it made for a very interesting morning with a lot of feeling, squishing and shaking going on. Not to mention a whole lot of giggling from us and a whole lot of grumping from him. I can't wait to bring this event up again....Still makes me smile thinking of the confusion we all felt over the missing tags. And no, my brother never wanted or asked for, a curling iron!! :D

Fun idea Karma. Don't care about the coin but if this helps it's worth it.

1961, I'm about 9-10 yrs. old. My brother, 5 yrs. my senior, finds where Mom has hiden all the PRESENTS. He could have only found them if he was looking them. No easy access to them and way out of the way. Of course, he wouldn't look or get into them unless I became his willing accomplice. Misery loves company. After a week of torture and nagging I buckled under the pressure. So we crawl back where all presents are and ransack every bag and box. Man we were in SEVENTH HEAVEN. Models, Baseball bats, Baseball glove(left-handed), toys everywhere. Not one piece of clothing - no pants, sweaters, gloves, coats. We could have died.

For the next couple weeks we walked around like two Cheshire Cats, grins from ear to ear. Christmas would never get here soon enough. I was making myself sick from all the anticipation. Wellllllll, Christmas comes and you guessed it. CLOTHES!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! A couple toys, but nothing we had found. WHAT THE HECK!!!!!!!!! Who stoled our stuff!! Maybe they forgot where they hide the stuff? Nope. BUMMER!! We were both completely devastated, BAD.

From that time on I never peeked or snooped.

Now jump ahead about twenty years. The family is sitting around shoot'n the breeze when I just had to ask what happen to the PRESENTS. Seems we had found the cache of their friends kids presents. As mothers do, she had to know why? Finally had to cop to the discovery. She remembered the Christmas and could never figure out why my brother and I acted like we had been kicked in the gut. Suddenly she starts laughing soo hard, tears rolling down face. Belly laughing so much she falls off the couch. Rolls around like a cat in catnip on the floor yelling and screaming, "STOP! Stop!! I can't take it. I'm going to wet myself". This of course starts everybody else laughing like crazy with Mom rolling around the floor yelling even louder.

Happy ending to the story though. She makes the mad dash waddle to the bathroom just in time.

Thank again for the contest and fond memories.

"Smile and the world smiles with ya." If nothing else they'll wonder what your up to.

I'll give it a shot.

I was about 8 years old and had the lead roll in the Christmas Play at school. We were doing Good King Wenceslas. As the play was progressing, I took center stage for the start of the main song. A little kid sitting on the floor in front of the stage looked and and said "Hey your zipper in open." being as young as I was, I reached down pulled up my zipper and carried on with the show with out missing a line. The crowd thought it was so funny, they laughed for about ten minutes while we continued on with the show.

My turn :D

When I was a kid, we had a very large Saint Bernard dog for a pet. The first Christmas we had him, we learned that 200-pound dogs and Christmas trees don't mix. No, not what you're thinking! :blink:

He got close to the tree and wagged his tail. Yep - managed to knock over a 6-foot tree with one wag. This happened multiple times that year.

So the next year, we try something different - we got a 3-foot tree and set it on a table. What happened? One good wag and the table (and tree) toppled right over!

Many years ago when my daughter was about 6 years old, we left the traditional milk and cookies

on the dining room table on Christmas Eve. I put several cookies on a plate and a small glass of milk.

We left them and went upstairs and I tucked her into bed. My husband and I went into our bedroom and

waited for awhile until we were sure she was asleep. Then we quietly went back downstairs. We

had planned to leave just a few cookie crumbs on the plate and a few drops of milk in the glass to make

it look like Santa had come and drank the milk and ate the cookies. But when we got downstairs, we

heard someone crunching on the cookies. My daughter was upstairs asleep in her room, so who could it be?

When we walked into the dining room, there was the dog, standing on top of the dining room table eating

the cookies and drinking the milk. When he saw us, he quickly jumped down off the table and hid

underneath it. We had a big laugh and didn't have to worry about putting the milk and cookies

away, they were all gone. We left everything as it was, and when my daughter came down in

the morning, all she found were some cookie crumbs on the plate and an empty glass of milk and had

thought Santa had really been here.

Edited by stellarscapes

This is a story we have told in another contest but Chip and I get a kick out of it everytime we think of it. It was scarry and funny to us at the same time.

Well, we have never been cachers to go for a FTF before but it just so happened that not too long ago there was a cache that popped up called Park It! close to where my parents live about 10 miles away. It was late when I saw it around 1:30 a.m. on gc.com and saw that noone had got it yet. I told Chip about it and thought well we might go get it tomorrow since this had probably been published earlier but I just had not seen it. To my surprise Chip said "Let's go for it."

Now Chip is not really one who really cares if we get a FTF or not, I am more so like that so of course I said Let's Go! Now I have a good idea where this cache is since I used to live in the area and it is a parking lot used for people who work at the shipyard and who catch the bus there. It has woods around it but I figure the cache is probably not too far into the woods or possibly more out in the open. On top of this, we had not gotten gas the day before and were sitting on E. We get our stuff together and take off out the door around 2 a.m. We have to go across a 5 mile bridge to get there and the whole time I'm praying that the gas station across the river is open otherwise we may be stranded. We get across the bridge and quickly stop at the station (thank God it was open) and get gas and race a couple more miles to the cache location.

We drive up to this deserted parking lot and Chip brings out the gps and gets out with his flashlight doing the "drunk bee dance" trying to get a reading while holding his walking stick. Now you have to picture that, I am disabled and use a wheelchair so I'm in the van with the cell phone ready to call 911 if necessary. Chip is visually impaired with poor vision due to diabetes so he is squinting at the gps and I watch him head toward the woods. UH OH! He hesitates because there is a huge ditch with tall grass to cross to get into the wooded area. He hollers and tells me to keep my cell phone close and crosses the ditch into the woods in the pitch dark. I can barely see him at the edge of the woods poking around with his stick trying to hear a clang of a ammo box. He continues to do this for a couple of minutes until we both come to our senses and decide that this is crazy! What if he did gets hurt? I couldn't get to him to help and we would have to call 911 for help so he jumps back across the ditch and we figure it would be better to be safe than sorry and decide to get it later. We even thought about going for some other urban caches in Smithfield and wait til light to come back but we were both tired and decided to go back home without the FTF.

That was our first and only attempt at a night cache and a FTF all in one. When we got home we asked ourselves "What in the world possessed us to go after that one at that time of the night and how dangerous it could have been but we now laugh about it all the time now. That will probably be the only attempt at a night cache for us but we will probably still go after a FTF, only if it is something that can be gotten easily and safely. The ironic thing is, We Still Have NOT Gotten That Cache, LOL!!!

NOTE: We finally did find the cache, in the daytime but it was several weeks later:)

I was a wee little lad and Santa was comin that night (that means it was Christmas eve :D )

I had what was called a Santa sack that I aquired from somewhere...It was Big, but so was my stocking!

My dilemma was now, what to leave out for Santa?????...The Ginormous Santa Sack or my Stocking???? I decided to stash my stocking behind this little chest we had and leave the Santa Sack for him to fill for me...Just didnt want to seem greedy is all :blink:

When I woke up in the morning what do I find...But Both my stocking and my Santa Sack full to the brim with goodies, as I remember I had almost all the Ewoks and a whole slew of other Starwars guys in there!!! HOLY MOLY!!!!!... How did he know??????? :blink:

I loved that and was so amazed at how he found it!!!! I hope I can find my Santa Sack this year!!! :ph34r:

Oh and by the way...aint got no Lackey yet!!!!!!!!

Edited by 007BigD

It must have been 6 or 7 years ago. Next to our house stood that fir tree which had grown to tall (about 12 ft) and we wanted to dig out in the next spring. So we decided to take to top 6 feet of it as our christmas tree.

On the morning of Dec. 22th I got a ladder, a saw and collected our 2 sons to help me. I’d climb the ladder and saw off the upper half, the kids would catch it (the rest of the tree we’d take care of next spring as it was to cold out there to stay outside for longer). Well, there was the satellite-dish mounted to the wall of the house, but the tree would fall in a different direction, you can bet! :ph34r:

You guess what came next: the tree-top fell against the antenna, the LNB fell down when it’s holding arm broke and hung there, swinging by the cable. The tree kept falling down to earth, as the kid’s couldn’t manage to catch it, many of the branches broke off because they were frozen. :blink:

Instantly we knew we had a reason to get a bigger antenna with more bad-weather-reserves and went off to the store. I mounted it the same evening (while Felix stood at the base of the ladder and held the flashlight) and the day after we bought a christmas tree. :D

So the summary of the story:

The christmas tree: 20 Deutsche Marks

The new sat antenna set: 400 Deutsche Marks

Looking back to the whole story: priceless! :blink:

Hope you like the story. Thank you, Dorkfish, for the generous prize and for all the stories yet to come!

This is one of my mom's favorite Christmas stories.

My brother and I were both very heavy sleepers when we were kids. We also slept a long time even on Christmas Day. Our mom usually came and woke us up to see what Santa brought. Well when I was about 9 or so, my brother was 18 and my cousin who was also 18 was staying with us. My room was on one side of the living room and my brothers room was on the other side. My cousin was asleep on the sofa. I woke up around 5 in the morning and decided to check out what we had gotten. I quietly went in to the living room and saw all the gifts that Santa had left me and my brother. One of the gifts I got was this really cute pair of houseshoes that looked like monkeys. I tried them on and was looking at all my other stuff when my cousin moved on the sofa. Of course, I now know he was just rolling over and was still asleep but I got up and ran back to bed. I got back in my bed and fell asleep. A few hours later, mom came in and woke me to see what Santa had brought. I tried to play it off and pretended I hadn't already been up. Of course, when I pulled the covers back, she knew. In my haste to get back in bed, I failed to realize that I still had the monkey houseshoes on. She just looked at them and smiled. I still tried to play it off and told her that Santa must have thought my feet were cold and put them on me before he left. I really don't think she bought it though. :D

I was the youngest of 3 kids...and the only girl...so my brother decided one year that it was time that I knew the _truth_ about Santa. So he got the "secret key" and opened the magic closet downstairs...WOW! We spent quite a long time peeling up the corner of the presents to see what was inside and then taping them back.

Christmas morning we were opening presents and I wanted my oldest brother to hurry up and I blurted out..."When are you going to open your Rubix's Revenge....uh....I mean that one?". I think the gig was up... LOL

buried deep in my family there's the tradition of, around midnight at christmas eve, some adult going outside with a couple of gifts for the kids, knock on the door, leave the scene and getting back inside. meanwhile, the rest of the adults would ask the kids to answer the door and (surprise) get the xmas presents.

one year, my cousin decided it would be cool to get a santa claus costume, repeat the procedure but stand at the door and wait for the kids reaction. he went outside, dressed himself (red trousers, a jacket, a false santa belly, a laaaarge beard, glasses and a hat) and knocked on the door. so when he knocked, everyone else (and the kids) went outside to see it. so he played santa, yelled a couple of "ho ho ho"s and then gave each kid a gift.

meanwhile, the adults were commenting how well disguised he was, everything looked so neat and he would just look like any other santa claus around (the kind you see at the mall or something). he could easily fool us all if we hadn't known who he was.

could he fool us? yes he could. but did he fool the kids? we got back inside near the fireplace and my cousin got back, entering the back door and sitting by the couch admiring the look on the kids faces. and then we heard a little 2.5 year old voice mumbling: "look! have you noticed dad's got a pair of sneakers EXACTLY like santa had?"

t'was the last year santa knocked on the door.

I'm still laughing over the post on the Maternity sweater... When I was about third or fourth grade we had a Christmas program which we sang a tune about commercials, some kids had mounds candy bars and some had almond joy in our back pockets waiting to hold them up when we were supposed to. I was very nervous just being in front of hundreds of people and when it was time to hold up the candy in my back pocket I reached back to get it and hold it up and it slipped out of my hand and flew into the front row of the audience. The people were laughing so hard that the song ended right there. I felt like I wanted to die at that moment but can see the humor in it now.

:D Here's my shot at a xmas time funny story.

When we where in jr. high and waiting for the bus to go to school, the high school bus would always come by first. So every day before the other bus came by we would make snow balls and have them ready and as the bus went by we would fire snowballs at it. Well after about a week of it, we waited for the bus and here it came, as we got ready to throw them again, the bus stopped and all the older boys came running out of the bus and buried us in the snow! :D Guess we had it coming! :blink: Now a days they would call the cops. :blink: I think we had it a little easier back then. :ph34r:

:D Here's my shot at a xmas time funny story.

When we where in jr. high and waiting for the bus to go to school, the high school bus would always come by first. So every day before the other bus came by we would make snow balls and have them ready and as the bus went by we would fire snowballs at it. Well after about a week of it, we waited for the bus and here it came, as we got ready to throw them again, the bus stopped and all the older boys came running out of the bus and buried us in the snow! :D Guess we had it coming! :blink: Now a days they would call the cops. :blink: I think we had it a little easier back then. :D

I hate to say it Joe, but now that's funny :ph34r:

My X-mas story.

Many of you do not know that I sometimes work as a travel nurse. That is I go and work at hospitals that just need more nurses. (great job sometimes). I work mostly in WY. CO.,NE., and now NM.

X-mas 2001 I had been working in Rawlins WY. which is about 16o miles from home. You guessed it I worked x-mas eve and now I was off. I just had to get home to be with my kids and my husband. The kids were 9 and 11 then. In WY. it just doesn't snow.... it blows snow too. I got on the road... and drove. Geez why isn't there anyone else on the highway? I was driving my Durango..... bucking snow drifts... going about 10 miles per hour... could only see the front of my hood.. and a occasional reflective post. Dang it, I was getting home. I had no idea that they had closed the road behind me.. and only two other vehicles were driving.. behind me... using me as a guide. I finally got into Laramie, WY. and the skies cleared. It had stopped snowing. It was still blowing snow.. but the wind always blows in WY. No biggie. Over the pass between Laramie and Cheyenne I did drive.. making good time now. THEN... I see a car.. stuck.. and two people with their two dogs standing by their car in a drift just down a exit ramp. Well, I stopped. Parked the Durango on dry asphalt and went to see if I could help them. I always carry a "emergency kit" (food, water, 0 degree sleeping bad, shovel, kitty litter, camping stove, fuel, ect...) I offer my shovel... and just feel bad watching the man shovel and shovel and shovel... I offer a ride into Cheyenne.. it's only 17 more miles away. Load the people... their dogs... all their x-mas gifts into my SUV.. Great, lets get on the road. Silly me... I should have backed up the off ramp. But no.... the "I just drove through over a hundred miles of snow banks and I can get through this last one... arr arr arr (my best Tim Allen impression) kicked in. Darn.. why am I sinking.. and not going forward????? Man.... get out the kitty litter.. I just need more traction...... oh man.. I am stuck up to the differential.... Shoot. Dig, dig, dig... I can't feel my fingers... "No really, stay inside the warm SUV I'll get us out soon".. dig dig dig.... "Oh, you are going back to your own car".. dig dig dig..... I think I dug for about an hour before I gave it up. Ok , I am going to get into town somehow.... I'll bring back a tow truck.... Up to the highway.. stick out my thumb.... VERY FIRST 18 WHEELER PULLED OVER. I open the door... climb up and in... and there sits SANTA. No really.. A trucker dressed in a Santa suit, hat and white beard and all. "You need a ride?", he said. "Yep.. into Cheyenne.. can you take my friends too.. and their dogs?" "Sure" he said.. "even though this is a brand new rig, I can clean it up from the dogs" But the folks I stopped to help didn't want to take a ride from a trucker, they passed on the ride. I gave them my shovel, wished them well and off we went. The trucker gave me hot chocolate... how the heck.. oh I see, you have a mini kitchen in here. Wow. I rode into Cheyenne, called a tow truck and made my way back to my Durango.. quick pull out... because the snow plows had come down the off ramp and cleared all the snow. The plow driver must have pulled the other people out. They had stuck my shovel in the drift to the left of my SUV. I got home.. tired and wet... but I will never forget the day SANTA saved the day, and X-mas for me and my family.

Hope all have a wonderful and happy holiday season. :D Jodi of Team FIREBOY

:ph34r: Here's my shot at a xmas time funny story.

When we where in jr. high and waiting for the bus to go to school, the high school bus would always come by first. So every day before the other bus came by we would make snow balls and have them ready and as the bus went by we would fire snowballs at it. Well after about a week of it, we waited for the bus and here it came, as we got ready to throw them again, the bus stopped and all the older boys came running out of the bus and buried us in the snow! :D Guess we had it coming! :blink: Now a days they would call the cops. :blink: I think we had it a little easier back then. :D

I hate to say it Joe, but now that's funny :ph34r:

Thanks, but it wasn't too funny at the time. :D

My X-mas story.

Many of you do not know that I sometimes work as a travel nurse. That is I go and work at hospitals that just need more nurses. (great job sometimes). I work mostly in WY. CO.,NE., and now NM.

X-mas 2001 I had been working in Rawlins WY. which is about 16o miles from home. You guessed it I worked x-mas eve and now I was off. I just had to get home to be with my kids and my husband. The kids were 9 and 11 then. In WY. it just doesn't snow.... it blows snow too. I got on the road... and drove. Geez why isn't there anyone else on the highway? I was driving my Durango..... bucking snow drifts... going about 10 miles per hour... could only see the front of my hood.. and a occasional reflective post. Dang it, I was getting home. I had no idea that they had closed the road behind me.. and only two other vehicles were driving.. behind me... using me as a guide. I finally got into Laramie, WY. and the skies cleared. It had stopped snowing. It was still blowing snow.. but the wind always blows in WY. No biggie. Over the pass between Laramie and Cheyenne I did drive.. making good time now. THEN... I see a car.. stuck.. and two people with their two dogs standing by their car in a drift just down a exit ramp. Well, I stopped. Parked the Durango on dry asphalt and went to see if I could help them. I always carry a "emergency kit" (food, water, 0 degree sleeping bad, shovel, kitty litter, camping stove, fuel, ect...) I offer my shovel... and just feel bad watching the man shovel and shovel and shovel... I offer a ride into Cheyenne.. it's only 17 more miles away. Load the people... their dogs... all their x-mas gifts into my SUV.. Great, lets get on the road. Silly me... I should have backed up the off ramp. But no.... the "I just drove through over a hundred miles of snow banks and I can get through this last one... arr arr arr (my best Tim Allen impression) kicked in. Darn.. why am I sinking.. and not going forward????? Man.... get out the kitty litter.. I just need more traction...... oh man.. I am stuck up to the differential.... Shoot. Dig, dig, dig... I can't feel my fingers... "No really, stay inside the warm SUV I'll get us out soon".. dig dig dig.... "Oh, you are going back to your own car".. dig dig dig..... I think I dug for about an hour before I gave it up. Ok , I am going to get into town somehow.... I'll bring back a tow truck.... Up to the highway.. stick out my thumb.... VERY FIRST 18 WHEELER PULLED OVER. I open the door... climb up and in... and there sits SANTA. No really.. A trucker dressed in a Santa suit, hat and white beard and all. "You need a ride?", he said. "Yep.. into Cheyenne.. can you take my friends too.. and their dogs?" "Sure" he said.. "even though this is a brand new rig, I can clean it up from the dogs" But the folks I stopped to help didn't want to take a ride from a trucker, they passed on the ride. I gave them my shovel, wished them well and off we went. The trucker gave me hot chocolate... how the heck.. oh I see, you have a mini kitchen in here. Wow. I rode into Cheyenne, called a tow truck and made my way back to my Durango.. quick pull out... because the snow plows had come down the off ramp and cleared all the snow. The plow driver must have pulled the other people out. They had stuck my shovel in the drift to the left of my SUV. I got home.. tired and wet... but I will never forget the day SANTA saved the day, and X-mas for me and my family.

Hope all have a wonderful and happy holiday season. :D Jodi of Team FIREBOY

That was a great story with a happy ending. :blink: Did the trucker look like him? :blink: Merry Xmas.

A couple of years ago, a coworker's wife and young daughter (4 year-old) were out shopping a couple of weeks before Christmas. A sales clerk says to the daughter, "so is someone special coming to your house soon?" The daughter says yes. The clerk asks who's coming and the little girl smiles and says, "Joe the Beer Guy!" Mom nearly fell over laughing.

They have a Festivus party for friends and family that I attend every year and, as the resident beer geek, bring something unique - either homebrew or commercial - each year so have become known as "Joe the Beer Guy" to the group.

Just goes to show you that Santa may be important but the beer guy is even more so. :D

Our funniest Christmas story began today with an email from my aunt that almost gave me a heart attack…

This October my aunt and cousins (non-geocachers) came to our home to celebrate my father’s birthday. True geocachers that we are, we told them of our new caches placed, latest caches found and newest geocoin acquisitions. My young cousin Krista, was especially interested in the geocoins. She had her eye on our Geocoin Fairy coin and we had our eye on her (we didn’t quite frisk her as she left but we made sure the coin stayed in our possession!).

Fast forward to last Thursday night. We started wrapping gifts and packaging them to be shipped. At the same time we packed up some coins to be sent as gifts to a few cachers. We had bought Krista and her sister Rachel a few gifts including notebooks with their initials, an “R” for Rachel and a “C” for Krista…oops! I had to scramble to find a replacement for Krista and luckily I had some nice notebooks I had bought to use as logbooks for caches. I chose a purple seascape notebook and wrapped it for Krista. The next day I sent off their gifts and the geocoins.

Today I received an email from my aunt that said: “Thanks for being so generous with the girls. Krista could not wait to open hers and did she ever scream and was so excited. She loved it all but the geo coin was so special she had to show Grandpa and everyone who was here. Thank you so much. Take care and will write soon. The Northern Bunch.”

Huh? WHAT???? What did I send her?? Did I send her the coins meant for cachers? Did a coin fall in by mistake? Little SEWdaugh, who is three, was helping us wrap—did she throw a coin in and which one? I was frantic…until I realized that I had sent her a LOGBOOK…complete with a FTF prize!!

I called my aunt and told her what we had done and then told my husband. We were laughing so hard and we made Aunt Kathy promise NOT to tell Krista the mistake; let her think that Uncle Walt sent her a nice geocoin. Now all we have to do is send one to Rachel…

O.K. here is my story. Every year since I was born I try to guess all my Christmas gifts before I get them. 2 years ago it was no exception. Me and the wife had been shoping together in books a million in a major mall and we both loved sushi!! I saw this amazing little sushi kit that was a starter kit on making your own and thought now this is a good gift. Later spying on my wife I saw her looking in that general area that I saw the good gift. She told me later to go to the other side of the store so she could get mine gift wraped. I thought see might get me that sushi gift if she saw it so I decided to get her a sushi book instead.

when she told me that she had the girl scouts gift wrap my gift I thought man thats a good Idea. So I took the book to the girlscouts when my wife went to the car, and they said"Man whats with all the Sushi gifts today?" HA!!! I said oh are they popular? They said yeah some lady just bought this starter kit. When I got to the car my wife told me Poor Girl Scouts, I was like the only one they had all night!!!!!! Later after a grin I could not keep down I confested , my knowledge and we exanged gifts that night!!!!!

mrbeachroach's story reminded me of one, although mine probably won't win, cause it's more funny to me, lol :D

As a kid I used to guess all my presents at Christmas. I'd shake boxes, feel for weight, size, etc. ;) Then I'd make my guess and then my parents wouldn't let me shake the presents anymore because I was usually right. So then I would do it when they weren't around :D Sometimes I just couldn't take it if I couldn't guess and I'd slowly and methodically undo the tape, unwrap the present, and peek. I just couldn't take not knowing what was in those Christmas boxes.

So when I was in the 6th grade, I was learning how to play cribbage in math class. I loved the game and begged my parents for a cribbage board. By this time, my parents were keeping all presents in their bedroom and away from me :D My mom happened to be sewing one day and I asked her if I could pick up a present and try to guess what it was. She smiled and said 'sure.' So I looked around and picked up one, felt the weight, shook it, all those things you do to try and figure it out what the present is. I was pretty sure I knew what this one was, so I said; "It's a cribbage board (all excitedly)!" My mom just smiled at me and said nothing. Being pretty proud of myself for my present guessing abilities, I sauntered out of the room and thought about how much fun it was going to be playing with my new cribbage board come Christmas.

Christmas morning came and my brother and I tore into our presents. After I was done I noticed that I didn't get a cribbage board, nor was the package that I had guessed in my stack of gifts. I wondered how they were going to surprise me with it. So as I sat watching my brother, who is 2 years younger than me, open the last of his gifts, imagine my surprise when he opened up a package that looked like the one that had a cribbage board in it. I watched him open it up and he pulled out a cribbage board. Oh the HORROR!!!!! I looked at my mom and she just smiled. I started to cry and I'm pretty sure I threw a whale of a tantrum. She had changed the gift tag to my brother's name (and who didn't even know what acribbage board was). after that, I quit guessing my Christmas presents (out loud), lol. I learned a very valuable lesson :D

tsun

Thanks for the cointest, I'm procrastinating, I really need to study.... lol

We used to go to my parents' house for Christmas every year. About 10 years ago we were at the house talking, playing with the kids' toys and having a jolly good time. Our Mom (not the best cook in the house, she burns boiled potatoes ;) ) was in the kitchen putting the finishing touches on the Christmas dinner after taking the turkey out of the oven to sit. I hopped up off the floor to help with the mashed potatoes (not burned this year!) when I saw to my horror one of their 8 house cats (it was one of the 3 black cats, I don't know which one) was eating the turkey! Just ripping and tearing into the meat like it hadn't had a meal in days.

After much yelling and screaming the cat was closed into a bedroom to think about it's bad behavior and we were left to carve the parts of the turkey that were un-gnawed on. One brother-in-law refused to eat any turkey (he doesn't like cats at all and was completely disgusted). My sister then raised her glass to toast our Holiday and promptly said, "To the best Clurkey I ever had!" The rest of us asked, "What's clurkey?" She informed us that clurkey was cat-licked turkey. Now every year we toast the clurkey (even though we now eat our holiday meal at my sister's house! :D

p.s. I just signed up for a premium membership! I am new to Geocoins and would love to get my first one!

Edited by wilderness walker

I already have the coin, but I will share my story anyway.

When I was little, every year Santa came on Christmas eve and left piles of presents under the tree. My and my brother and sister also each had a Christmas stocking with our name on it that was in our bedroom, so Santa had to come into each bedroom to fill the stockings. I decided that I was going to build a "Santa Trap" so I could catch Santa and meet him. ;)

Next to the doorway of my bedroom was a tall wardrobe about the height of the doorway. So the idea was, when Santa opened the door, he would set off the trap which would wake me up. I had an enormous stuffed dinosaur. I tied a whole bunch of little jingle bells to it, and balanced it on top of the wardrobe. Then I tied a string from the dinosaur to the doorknob. I tested it out, and when you opened the door, the dinosaur fell on your head, and made lots of noise in the process. :D

So Christmas eve, I carefully set my Santa trap. I went to bed, and could hardly sleep because I was so excited about catching Santa. I finally started to fall asleep, when the trap went off!!!

.....And I caught my mom :D

Of course she made me disassemble it, and she wasn't too happy about a giant dinosaur and about a pound of bells falling on her head....and there went my hopes of catching Santa...lol :D

Edited by tadpole379

I, too, am still laughing over the "Maternity" story! But, here's my go at it anyway:

When I was around 10, I believe, I "accidentally" stumbled upon (or went into the storage closet in the basement that no one ever went into and was therefore a perfect hiding spot) a pile of unwrapped things in a not too well concealed bag. Yes, I peeked, and was super excited to find out that I was getting an electronic Snoopy toothbrush. (I am, honestly, just now laughing at the fact I was excited over a toothbrush!) I couldn't wait to open it on Christmas only to see once all the presents were opened that my toothbrush went to my younger sister! To this day I'm not sure if Santa had always intended that or if he really does know if you've been bad or good!

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Okay I guess my turn. My husband and I met at a high school wrestling tournament. His sister and I had been friends for 4 years and worked on the wrestling team together as scorekeepers, but I had never met her brother. She tells me her brother is coming by and he'll get us lunch if we want. I was cool with that. He comes in and gee he is cute. Anyways after talking to him for a long time he asked me out on a date. I say yes and where are we going? He says Christmas Caroling with his church group at a convalescent center. Okay creepy, but I agree. I'm thinking inside oh boy I've got myself a good little Catholic boy, ha I know him better now. We get to the center and we are supposed to present everyone with a candy cane dressed like a mouse. So singing we go down the halls and my (sister-in-law) gives this old cranky man a candy cane and this guy flips out throws the candy cane at her and starts screaming at her. We are all petrified and of course say nothing...gotta respect the elders. Anyways he is in one of those automatic wheel chairs and decides he is going to "Rid his home of the demons." The whole group gets scared the nurse/handlers tried to step in and get rolled over. We are quickly walking towards the exits as he yelling at us. We make our exit and the guy follows us alll the way to the door to scream "Get out and Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night."

What cracks me up the most about this is as we are getting on the bus my "hubby" looks at me and says "Gee he didnt like candy canes, huh?"

This is a story we have told in another contest but Chip and I get a kick out of it everytime we think of it. It was scarry and funny to us at the same time.

Well, we have never been cachers to go for a FTF before but it just so happened that not too long ago there was a cache that popped up called Park It! close to where my parents live about 10 miles away. It was late when I saw it around 1:30 a.m. on gc.com and saw that noone had got it yet. I told Chip about it and thought well we might go get it tomorrow since this had probably been published earlier but I just had not seen it. To my surprise Chip said "Let's go for it."

Now Chip is not really one who really cares if we get a FTF or not, I am more so like that so of course I said Let's Go! Now I have a good idea where this cache is since I used to live in the area and it is a parking lot used for people who work at the shipyard and who catch the bus there. It has woods around it but I figure the cache is probably not too far into the woods or possibly more out in the open. On top of this, we had not gotten gas the day before and were sitting on E. We get our stuff together and take off out the door around 2 a.m. We have to go across a 5 mile bridge to get there and the whole time I'm praying that the gas station across the river is open otherwise we may be stranded. We get across the bridge and quickly stop at the station (thank God it was open) and get gas and race a couple more miles to the cache location.

We drive up to this deserted parking lot and Chip brings out the gps and gets out with his flashlight doing the "drunk bee dance" trying to get a reading while holding his walking stick. Now you have to picture that, I am disabled and use a wheelchair so I'm in the van with the cell phone ready to call 911 if necessary. Chip is visually impaired with poor vision due to diabetes so he is squinting at the gps and I watch him head toward the woods. UH OH! He hesitates because there is a huge ditch with tall grass to cross to get into the wooded area. He hollers and tells me to keep my cell phone close and crosses the ditch into the woods in the pitch dark. I can barely see him at the edge of the woods poking around with his stick trying to hear a clang of a ammo box. He continues to do this for a couple of minutes until we both come to our senses and decide that this is crazy! What if he did gets hurt? I couldn't get to him to help and we would have to call 911 for help so he jumps back across the ditch and we figure it would be better to be safe than sorry and decide to get it later. We even thought about going for some other urban caches in Smithfield and wait til light to come back but we were both tired and decided to go back home without the FTF.

That was our first and only attempt at a night cache and a FTF all in one. When we got home we asked ourselves "What in the world possessed us to go after that one at that time of the night and how dangerous it could have been but we now laugh about it all the time now. That will probably be the only attempt at a night cache for us but we will probably still go after a FTF, only if it is something that can be gotten easily and safely. The ironic thing is, We Still Have NOT Gotten That Cache, LOL!!!

NOTE: We finally did find the cache, in the daytime but it was several weeks later:)

I just saw that it was for the older lackey coin which we already have so if we win we will give it away to someone else. I was thinking it was for a 2008 lackey coin?

I would like to win a Lackey but don't really have a funny Christmas story to tell.

Christmas was a pretty tough time of the year for me when I was growing up. So when I eventually got married and had kids it took some growing for myself to really understand Christmas. Now, it is my favorite time of the year and just being with my wife and kids makes it a happy, funny, joyous....what ever feel good word you want to insert....time each and every year.

Edited by Theotokos

My earliest memory of Christmas is of my father kicking my older sister in the mouth under the Christmas tree. Happy memories of Christmas from my childhood? Not likely. Mike didn't have a thought for this one either. (He was adopted at 15 and the years before that were spent bouncing from foster home to foster home to boys home. We aren't even going to think about the few years he was with his biological mother before she was stripped of her parental rights.)

My son, Thorne, is five this year and I am often impressed by his behavior. We have never done the "Santa Clause" thing with him. When people ask him what Santa is bringing him, he shrugs it off and tells them what he wants for Christmas. He has played along every year for the Christmas pictures and politely waited until AFTER the picture was taken to wager who is under the beard. I am sure the day is coming when he will enlighten some one else's child that Santa isn't real but for now he just keeps the peace. He gets to be in on the grown up secret. <_<

Well this isn't exactly a story (& I didn't writ it), but made me laugh today. :(

Hi,

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best thoughts for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of your choice, and with respect in case you choose to not practice any traditions at all.

I also hope you have a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2008, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country, nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere. Also, this greeting is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the greeter or greetee.

In closing,

Happy day(s) off from work!

I have two stories!

Every year we play the game when you hide the pickle on the tree. Our Mom always got something to share but one year we played it at our aunt's house. I found it before we played and I showed my cousins. :( My aunt found out and rehid it. Then it was time to really play. I was looking and looking and then I saw it! I reached in tried to get it. Then one of my cousins came over and stuck his hand in and picked it out. I was so mad! The prize was a cute beanie frog. He thought it was too girly and threw it to the dogs! I was very angy, I found it!

My Dad explained how when he was little he got an wooden toy truck his Dad made. Each year he would recieve a truck just like the year before but in a different color and the one he got the year before would be gone. It turns out his Dad painted it a different color each year! Now we laugh about this but we realize he had to do whatever it took to give his kids a special Christmas and this may have been one of the only ways he could do it. Anyway I hope you enjoyed the stories.

A funny thing happened on the way to the movies. Last Sunday I was treating my brother's family to a movie with treats (my yearly holiday gift to them) and my debit card was declined. I was sure that I hadn't spent that much on geocoins lately so I chalked it up to a teenager (I have 3 teens so it could be a possibility) running the register. I scrounge for cash and pay for the tickets. We step up to the refreshments and I order for all of us, pull out a different card and viola, declined. Now I am wondering what is up. I refuse to let this dampen our day, I scounge and scrounge, and scrape up enough from the bottom of my wifes purse to get the popcorn. The Golden Compass was a good movie, they are daemons not demons. With the movie over it must be time to eat.

Pizza Hut with tables for two families making merry and joking for awhile. I step up to the register and behold, my wifes card is tied to me, no funds. I sheepishly ask for my brother to pay so I can figure out what is going on. I sulk to the truck with ego bruised.

Monday morning when the bank doors open I step in and find to my surprise that my bank cancelled my cards for "unusual activity". Appearantly I had been to Germany over the weekend and was buying sewing supplies while at the same time shopping for clothes in a store that doesn't exist in Idaho, and a few odds and ends elsewhere. Long story even longer, I had been abducted, I have no clue to who I was over the weekend but I must love clothing. Maybe it was amnesia or I have a long lost twin. I cannot imagine whose Christmas I bought but I hope they enjoy it. Luckily I own no credit cards or it could be worse.

I have since found many a wonderful thought and gesture to help me buy Christmas for the people I really know.

Thank you to everyone who has been so generous and kind hearted. I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday season.