Geocaching on the Today Show

we"re lost

ARRRRG!!!!! There is that "buried" misconception - yet again!!!

(Thanks for the link)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who cringed at the sound of the big evil B word :unsure:

I had the exact same reaction. The hair on the back of my neck actually bristled.

It was worse for me. I had to be rushed to the emergency room. Some sort of cardiac event they said. You'll be glad to know that there was no damage and I'll be as good (or bad) as ever. :unsure:B):lol:

Boy that Meredith Viera is kinda attractive, ain't she? :lol:B):)

The print (electronic) version of the piece at least does not mention "buried." It is a fairly good write-up:

"For many people, exercise becomes more appealing with high-tech gadgets. Garmin's eTrex Vista is a perfect gift for the outdoor lover! It’s a great gadget for hiking, camping and geocaching. What’s geocaching? Combining technology with the great outdoors, geocaching is a high-tech version of treasure hunting. Geocachers seek out hidden treasures utilizing GPS coordinates posted on the internet by those hiding the cache. Using a Garmin® GPS unit, they then trek out into the backwoods or urban jungles to find the hiding spot of the cache. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. If the visitor takes something out of the cache, they are asked to leave something in return. For some, the biggest reward is the thrill of the search and the discovery of a plaace that they have never been."

A basic Garmin Etrex for $299?!?!? Wow, Ms. Joy definitely does not know where to shop...

She says Garmin Etrex, but in the video she has a Vista HCX on the table, so that is about the right price..

But she had to say "buried"....sigh...

The article/highlight of the piece on the website listed above clearly shows a basic Garmin Etrex; that is the bit that garnered my comment.

She says Garmin Etrex, but in the video she has a Vista HCX on the table, so that is about the right price..

The article/highlight of the piece on the website listed above clearly shows a basic Garmin Etrex; that is the bit that garnered my comment.

Read the story and watch the video and then be prepared to comment on "all the facts" presented. Your Honor, the Defense rests!!!!!

Edited by eagletrek

Read the story and watch the video and then be prepared to comment on "all the facts" presented. Your Honor, the Defense rests!!!!!

I stand humbled in your presence.

I formally apologize for attempting to make a jovial point about this photo:

071209_gifts_08.hmedium.jpg

with this "information" below it:

Gift: Garmin GPS eTrex

Web site: www.garmin.com

Telephone: 800-800-1020

Price: $299

Kind sir, my comments were in no way related to the video, but the web page description of the said product. I found the photo and information ironic/slightly humorous.

Without doubt, I will keep all future observations to myself.

I stand humbled in your presence.

I formally apologize for attempting to make a jovial point about this photo:

071209_gifts_08.hmedium.jpg

with this "information" below it:

Gift: Garmin GPS eTrex

Web site: www.garmin.com

Telephone: 800-800-1020

Price: $299

Kind sir, my comments were in no way related to the video, but the web page description of the said product. I found the photo and information ironic/slightly humorous.

Without doubt, I will keep all future observations to myself.

Well if that's the case, I won't charge you with Contempt of Forums!!!!!

Not crazy about the "buried " word either but it might get some people to do thier own reseach about geocaching and give it a try.

The reporters that do these pieces sure need to report the facts better in my opinion.

we're lost

Yeah, and right after she says that about "buried treasures", she tells us how much fun it is. As if she has any idea!!!

Not crazy about the "buried " word either but it might get some people to do thier own reseach about geocaching and give it a try.

The reporters that do these pieces sure need to report the facts better in my opinion.

we're lost

Yeah, and right after she says that about "buried treasures", she tells us how much fun it is. As if she has any idea!!!

I believe her geocaching name is Mitsuko. :unsure:

I think this silly notion that caches are buried comes from the use of the term "treasure hunting" to describe geocaching. There seems to exist this idea that treasure is always buried. If caching is like treasure hunting and the cache is the treasure, the cache must be buried. Faulty logic. I see on the Geocaching.com FAQ that the word "treasure" is used twice. I know referring to caching as a treasure hunt may help get the kids involved, but that may actually be hurting how the game is perceived. Perhaps we should equate geocaching with a scavenger hunt more than a treasure hunt. The press seems to like to take this treasure hunt idea and run with it, distorting the nature of geocaching.