VantagePoint Software

docgs

Thought that software would be worth its own topic; there have been some mentions but they are now hidden in the big Magellan Triton post:

VantagePoint, on second try, downloaded nicely, installed without a hitch on my Windows Vista notebook (hp tx1000-series), but it is not displaying the map. And, I managed to get it to crash the third time I fiddled around with it (but can't say exactly what went wrong).

On my old JVC subnotebook with Windows XP (MP-XP7210: 256 MB memory, 1 GH processor, if that, shared graphics,...) there was a warning about compatibility, the splash screen looked strange, but the program is showing the basemap and seems to be working (but here, I have not tried online connectivity).

I can't talk about connection with GPS, all I have so far is a Suunto X9i ;-)

Regards, and Hi there, forum,

Gerald

I've been playing with the software off and on for a week or 2. Install went well, sees my eX600 with no problems and communicates (geocaches, tracks) effortlessly.

The interface is OK. May take a bit to get used to otherwise it's simple and fairly intuitive.

GSAK imports were easy. I was surprised that the level of detail within GASK was far better and more complete than the in-house Magellan format. Use the GSAK method if you want to see cache details.

I'd like to see the import of icons to be more comprehensive. For example, a found cache will have the traditional cache icon. It would be useful to have an icon that would depict found and unfound similar to the way icons were imported into Google Earth (cache icon with red checkmark, etc). Also helpful, would be a way to toggle different types of caches to be desplayed or hidden. There's an option to have them all on or all hidden. Selective would be a good feature. Cache names are not diplayed until you click on an icon. I'm assuming this was done to clean up or declutter the page. However, there should be an option to display the name especially when printed. Prin outs simply show the icon with no legend or table indicating the caches displayed.

Ability to include media is a nice touch. Clicking on the cache will show you any media you have "attached" to that cache. Nice when reflecting back on an epic hunt.

caches along a route option is a bit clunky. When creating a route you get a blue point to point line as well as the turn-by-turn depiction. Not clear if the cache along the route is applied to the point to point or turn by turn. This may take some tweaking.

So far, it's a good companion but shows some first edition limitations.

You can set the prefrerences as follows:

fastest Time

Shortest Distance

Least Use of freeways

Most use of freeways

Avoid Toll Roads

Pedestrian

So, yes, these's an option for shortest. Always a bit subjective but works decently. Not sure about pedestrian. haven't tried that option.

you can also slect caches along the route by using the Find caches Along the Route option. Been playing with it a little and seems to work OK.

You can set the prefrerences as follows:

fastest Time

Shortest Distance

Least Use of freeways

Most use of freeways

Avoid Toll Roads

Pedestrian

So, yes, these's an option for shortest. Always a bit subjective but works decently. Not sure about pedestrian. haven't tried that option.

you can also slect caches along the route by using the Find caches Along the Route option. Been playing with it a little and seems to work OK.

Im having trouble with this software finding my "sportrack pro marine"

I have the conecting cable that goes to the gps then to a 9pin , tried turning the gps unit on first then opening the vantagepoint , gives error thant no gps connected, then to other waw around,etc.

i have tried changing baud rate, nothing,

havent done any firmware updates, on the sportrak, not shure what im doing wrong that my computer is not seeing the unit ? i have new batteries, running XP PRO, plenty of ram etc.

allso bought a 9pin to USB, still nothing, the gps is around 3 years old, has worked great over the years .

any advice would be great.

Thanks