Vista HCx software confusion.

gallet

I have downloaded the latest firmware/software using Webupater and run it a few times. At the moment it is showing

Software Version 2.40

GPS SW Version 2.30

But when I checked a new HCx today it was showing 2.40 2.40 for both settings.

I checked the Garmin site but I cannot find the GPS SW version 2.40 I don't even know if this one is firmware or software.

Has anyone else been able to update to 2.40 2.40?

Hi gallet,

Well, you got me curious, so I went and checked mine out . . .

Software Version 2.40

GPS SW Version 2.30

I've run Updater several times and only received one update; probably Software Version 2.30 to 2.40.

O.K. My curiosity was piqued, had some other questions, so I just called Garmin.

Softare Version 2.40 is the unit Operating System

GPS SW Version 2.30 deals with the GPS receiver side of things.

Now we know! :unsure:

Edited by JohnTee

Hi, I just got my Vista HCx on Saturday and found 3 cache's on Sunday. Can anyone tell me how to find out which firmware version I have. Thanks

But my new HCx has 2.40 for the GPS SW version.

p24.jpg

EDIT: just to clarify, my old HCx is 2.40 2.30 and will not update further but my new HCx has 2.40 2.40 already installed.

It wouldn't update to gps version 2.4 for me either just the software says 2.4 . I talked to Garmin today the guy couldn't see any new hardware updates for the older versions but he said that was a newer version of the GPS chipset . My issue with the Vista HCX has been it won't consistently register speeds less than 2.0 mph.

Gallet have you tried to see if the new version will register a speed less than 2.0 MPH for any length of time ? I'm pretty sure when they get it to do that it will solve the odometer issue's.

O.K. My curiosity was piqued, had some other questions, so I just called Garmin.

Softare Version 2.40 is the unit Operating System

GPS SW Version 2.30 deals with the GPS receiver side of things.

Now we know! :unsure:

did they happen to explain why the new ones have gps sw version 2.40 but that it is not possible to update the older ones from 2.30 to 2.40.

etrex H is already on firmware 2.50. Nevertheless as mentioned over in the other thread I don't believe there even is a hardware revision. That poor customer service guy got somethin mixed up in my eyes. The 2.40 Chipset software will IMHO be released at the latest in 2-3 weeks, but won't solve the trip odometer bug as mentioned above.

Other units with Mediatek suffer from the same problem, but that nevertheless doesn't prove it can't be handled by new firmware, however it's not Garmin but Mediatek who's responsible for the bug (as they must have shipped out software samples to Garmin and other companies using the chipset).

Edited by extremecarver

Hi gallet,

are you talk about the Etrex Vista Hcx or Etrex Hcx? The GPS SW Version 2.40 is from Vista HCx or from etrex HCx (the yellow one). Only to confirm.

Thanks

AA

There is no such thing as a Etrex HCX, there is only a etrex H(C stands for color, and X stands for eXpandable memory). also you can tell he is talking about the vista HCX because his screen shots are in color.