GPS MAP 76CSx and CN2008 Upgrade - No unlock?

Overland1

I just received the CN 2008 Upgrade CD for my GPS MAP 76CSx and installed it, but cannot unlock it. There was no code included in the package, and I cannot get an unlock code online. I logged in to the "MyGarmin" web site and got nowhere. Of course, there is no phone support with which to contact a real person until Monday. At this point, the CN 2008 program is useless to me.

Is there something else I need to do in order that this "upgrade" be made to function? In the meantime, I rolled back to my previous City Navigator (v8) program.

Edited by Overland1

I just received the CN 2008 Upgrade CD for my GPS MAP 76CSx and installed it, but cannot unlock it. There was no code included in the package, and I cannot get an unlock code online. I logged in to the "MyGarmin" web site and got nowhere. Of course, there is no phone support with which to contact a real person until Monday. At this point, the CN 2008 program is useless to me.

Is there something else I need to do in order that this "upgrade" be made to function? In the meantime, I rolled back to my previous City Navigator (v8) program.

Do you not get the unlock code when you pay for the upgrade?

I am not sure but doesn't upgrade mean you should have your previous version isntalled? than you install this upgrade on it?

Since it is only a map update, I don't see why it would need a unlock code?

It should still be working with your previous unlock code.

Think of it as having a Windows XP installed with cdkey. And this upgrade is like Service Pack for XP.... which requires Windows XP for it to be installed.

Doesn't that sound right?

Sounds to me like the OP got the upgrade disk from garmin. They send these out free of charge, then you need to log into your my garmin account and purchase an unlock for the new mapset($75).

The disk came directly from Garmin ("G International" on the package.... made me want to call them and say, "whattup, G?", but that's another story :( ), and I just found the place on their web site (MyGarmin) where I can purchase the unlock code. I must have been missing something there on my first attempt....... one odd thing happened when first installing the update - a Windows Installer error appeared (not sure what that was all about, so I re-booted the computer and tried again, and it worked OK. Maybe that had something to do with the original problem, or maybe I did miss something on the MyGarmin web site.

Thanks to all for the assist here; as always this forum is the best!

Edited by Overland1