Geocoins - What to do with them

:ph34r: I have found my first Geocoin at the Elinton Buddha. But what do I do with it? Should it have an activation code on the packaging? I just have the 'May 2006' on one side and a code in a cloud on the other. I am new to all this & couldn't make much sense out of the Googled Geocoin returns. Thanks Rosserllwyd

:ph34r: I have found my first Geocoin at the Elinton Buddha. But what do I do with it? Should it have an activation code on the packaging? I just have the 'May 2006' on one side and a code in a cloud on the other. I am new to all this & couldn't make much sense out of the Googled Geocoin returns. Thanks Rosserllwyd

There should be a number on the coin, PRT67G, something like that.....it's very small. I've just read your post properly....it's the number in the cloud.

Go to the trackable item page put that number in and log that you've retrieved from the cache.

DO NOT PUT THE NUMBER ON THIS FORUM FOR OTHERS TO SEE........KEEP IT TO YOURSELF

Edited by The Lavender Hill Mob

I see from your profile that you have logged a "Discovered it", this is what you do when you see a coin but leave it where you saw it, perhaps if you met another cacher who has the coin but showed it to you, or if you saw it in a cache but didn't want to take it away.

At the moment the coin is still showing as being in the cache, so subsequent cachers will be disappointed when they go there and can't find it.

What you need to do is click "Retrieve it from The Eglington Buddah" on the same page that TLHM pointed you to, the coin will then show up as being in the hands of Rosserllwyd.

When you log subsequent caches there will be a box in the bottom left showing the coin, when you post a log on the cache where you're going to leave the coin simply highlight it and the coin will move to that cache.

The above goes for regular travel bugs too, also the cache page shows on the right all TBs or coins that are in the cache, if you click on the coin/bug name it will take you to the page where you can log the find against the coin/bug.

Oh and welcome to the game :ph34r:

Edit to add This Link has all the info you need for handling travel bugs and Geocoins.

HTH

Martyn

Edited by MartyBartfast

Welcome to Geocaching!

The Geocoin is a traveller, and should be dropped into another cache soon.

Once you have recorded the fact you have it, by clicking on the coin/tb icon on the cache page (if you haven't found the page by the previous mentioned link) it will then show in your inventry.

If you still have the coin after 14 days you get a "nag" from the site, saying to move it on soon, or let the owner know!

You will need the small number mentioned, to record in the log the fact you DO have the coin.

G

Hello there!

More information is on the geocaching.com website on this here link, its says Travelbugs, but exactly the same logic is applied to Travelbugs as is applied to geocoins. The only difference is that the larger variety of geocoins you find, the more little multi-coloured icons you get on your profile. Depending on how you geocache depends on whether you get excited on having more little multi-coloured icons on your profile.

Ok, first you oooooh over it... then you ahhhhhh over it... then you get curious about coins, start looking around, check out the nice folks over on the geocoin forum and see all the gorgeous coins around, then realize you just gotta have that coin you saw on one of those threads, put an order for it in, and get addicted, just like the rest of us there on the coin forums!

Enjoy the coin, have fun getting it moving again, and welcome to the madness!

Naomi :)

I found my first geocoin a week or so ago and haven't had a chance to leave it anywhere yet. I found a nano the other day and had trouble getting the log back in - no room for anything else.

ty-tek

Welcome to the Forum :)

It's good to move any trackable, geocoin or TB, onwards as soon as possible - but sometimes real life gets in the way and it's not always possible to place them into a new cache within the reccommended 2 week period. Personally, I don't get concerned about my trackables unless someone's been holding them for a couple of months.

MrsB

I found my first geocoin a week or so ago and haven't had a chance to leave it anywhere yet. I found a nano the other day and had trouble getting the log back in - no room for anything else.

ty-tek

Welcome to the Forum :(

It's good to move any trackable, geocoin or TB, onwards as soon as possible - but sometimes real life gets in the way and it's not always possible to place them into a new cache within the reccommended 2 week period. Personally, I don't get concerned about my trackables unless someone's been holding them for a couple of months.

MrsB

ty-tek

You currently have one of our TB game pieces - which has had no activity in the last 5 MONTHS - Please drop off our travel bug in a new cache or contact the owner as a courtesy. We have sent you several emails to-date, including an offer of a SAE but with no response. We know you have been logging on to Geocaching.com as your last visit was on Saturday, May 23, 2009 - so you have been able to gain access to a computer!

Edited by aliandtone

Ok, first you oooooh over it... then you ahhhhhh over it... then you get curious about coins, start looking around, check out the nice folks over on the geocoin forum and see all the gorgeous coins around, then realize you just gotta have that coin you saw on one of those threads, put an order for it in, and get addicted, just like the rest of us there on the coin forums!

Enjoy the coin, have fun getting it moving again, and welcome to the madness!

Naomi :D

Come on now, if you're going to give the OP advice at least get it right.

First you ooooh over it, then you aaaaah over it, then you look at the pretty icon you've now got, then you see where it's been and who else has handled it, and only THEN do you look at all the other pretty icons :laughing:

Oh yes, then you move it on somewhere else!

I think it's about time Groundspeak made it a lot clearer on the cache pages what you need to do if you pick up a TB or geocoin. A flashing reminder or something after you log your visit.

Along with the proliferation of new and ignorant cachers who are keen to get going without reading the guidlines properly, many more geocoins and TB's are going missing, simply because the people who pick them up don't know they need to be logged. I have had to chase up three just this week alone... :laughing:

I think it's about time Groundspeak made it a lot clearer on the cache pages what you need to do if you pick up a TB or geocoin. A flashing reminder or something after you log your visit.

Along with the proliferation of new and ignorant cachers who are keen to get going without reading the guidlines properly, many more geocoins and TB's are going missing, simply because the people who pick them up don't know they need to be logged. I have had to chase up three just this week alone... :laughing:

Yes, not only the requirement to log picking them up and dropping them off but also the idea of giving someone a fair chance to log a TB/coin into a cache before grabbing it from them.

When caching on holiday it's irritating to put something in a cache only to find I can't log it into the cache because someone grabbed it from me before I found somewhere with internet access.

On the left margin of every cache page is the link to the Trackable Items information page, which gives full details of how to handle them.

Ditto on the left margin of every geocoin/travel bug page.

Every cache owner could, if they wished, put a further link onto their own cache pages saying something like, "If you find a trackable item in this cache please visit <link>... etc etc "

On the right of every trackable page the owner has the option to print off the Information Sheet which can be sent off with the trackable item. This also tells the finder that they'll need to log the trackable item on geocaching.com and also what its mission is (if any).

On top of this there's the Travel Bug and Geocoins Discussion forums which are full of information and people who are willing to answer all questions about trackables (some of them get asked over and over and over again).

The information is all out there.

How do you get new people to read it though? Some will do their homework beforehand, but others won't bother...

It's the geocaching equivalent of getting people to RTF(lipping)M. :laughing:

MrsB

The link is all well and good but a lot of TBs don't have mission sheets attached, and a lot of them don't have big flashing lights to say they are trackable items.

When I see caches where trackables are shown as being present on the site but there's no sign of them in the cache I have to wonder how many people pick them up thinking they are cute trading items without realising what they are. I'm sure some people steal TBs because they make neat bottle openers/paperweights/whatever but a lot of them don't seem to serve any useful purpose so that seems unlikely.

When a cache log is created the site gives the option of leaving travel bugs behind based on the user's inventory. It might be useful to put an option there to pick up travel bugs based on the cache's inventory - if any are chosen it would guide the user through the process of logging the TBs and reminding them to log them into caches when they are moved on.

When a cache log is created the site gives the option of leaving travel bugs behind based on the user's inventory. It might be useful to put an option there to pick up travel bugs based on the cache's inventory - if any are chosen it would guide the user through the process of logging the TBs and reminding them to log them into caches when they are moved on.

I like that idea. Something along the lines of "This Geocache contained the following Trackables - did you help move any of them along?".

Might be worth moving to the New features forum?