Garmin Colorado

AV Dezign

You can also select two or no fields on the map display. Over the map, they are semi-transparent.
That shows Garmin has made strides in the display interface as well. Semi-transparent boxes allow you to see more of the map. Also, it would appear, Garmin has ditched the three lines of data at the top of the screen. Showing Lat & Long is worthless data, what a mapping GPS provides is the position pointer on the map, that context is what makes it so valueable.

This screenshot makes my point:

Sawtooth.gif

Your calculations are wrong, due to the fact that in the 60 CSx, you can never get rid of the status bar at the top of the display. On the Colorado, you can have 100% map on the screen, if you so desire. I measured the real area used for the map display, with a caliper, so my figures are dead on.

When panning the map on the Colorado, no additional data fields show up. You can get lat/long and elevation (on a DEM map) for a certain point, but you have to press Enter to see it. Thus it doesn't occupy any space while you pan around.

[...]

When panning the map on the Colorado, no additional data fields show up. You can get lat/long and elevation (on a DEM map) for a certain point, but you have to press Enter to see it. Thus it doesn't occupy any space while you pan around.

Just for this point, it's worth the upgrade B)

Just what is a "DEM map" in this context?

I've download many a DEM dataset and they are huge. Is limited DEM data embeded in the vector map data to provide shading?

Digital Elevation Model. The basemap in the Colorado 300 is of that type.

I assume they divide it into a number of squares, where each square is assigned an elevation. That's then shown if you point somewhere on the map.

If you have detailed maps, like City Navigator, installed as well, you either have to zoom out, to see the basemap, or turn CN off. Otherwise CN will take precedence over the basemap, in which case no elevation is shown.

The basemap is a bit less than 100 MB in the Colorado 300.

Digital Elevation Model. The basemap in the Colorado 300 is of that type.

I assume they divide it into a number of squares, where each square is assigned an elevation. That's then shown if you point somewhere on the map.

If you have detailed maps, like City Navigator, installed as well, you either have to zoom out, to see the basemap, or turn CN off. Otherwise CN will take precedence over the basemap, in which case no elevation is shown.

Thanks Anders,

If you load the maps I linked to, they have contours, so putting the pointer on any contour will return the elevation, but their is no embeded elevation data on a regular grid like a DEM set. Your base map explanation makes sense, that's how "normal" DEMs are viewed. I'm most familiar with 10 and 30 meter DEMs, huge files. That basemap probably has 1 kilometer DEMs to cover the world land area. Oceans are easy. :rolleyes:

Does Garmin have any topo maps of Europe that you could load?

My expectation is Garmin is getting shading from DEM data which is not in Topo USA 2008. Hence the 400 show shading of its embedded maps, whereas the 300 would not. Clearly, I'm guessing.

Thanks

So does anyone have any idea's or guesses on the max SD card size we'll be able to use?

And if they've removed the mapsegment limit? or raised it.

Looks like you haven't read all the POSTS in this thread either :rolleyes:;)

Also, can all existing maps (ie: CN 2008) be used on the colorado?
Simply go to Garmin.com, click on the Colorado of interest and select the maps tab.

I have a part of Friluftskartan in the unit (older version of Swedish topographic map). I can make some dumps from that one, easily.

The base map is also easy, of course. It does contain DEM data, and does show shading, but more like a classic map book. The DEM data in the basemap isn't detailed enough to support the "real" 3D mode on the Colorado.

I also have (parts of) CNE v9 NT and CNNA v2008 NT in the unit. There are som map samples from these already in my web album.

There are some more screenshots of map images there now.

I know that it works with at least 4 GB cards, from what I've been told. I don't have any such SD card, so I can't try it. My cameras use CF, so the only larger cards I have are CF.

What they've done to the map segment limit I don't know. Neither do I know if it's different for pre-loaded maps vs. those you install by yourself.

Edited by apersson850

I have a part of Friluftskartan in the unit (older version of Swedish topographic map). I can make some dumps from that one, easily.

The base map is also easy, of course. It does contain DEM data, and does show shading, but more like a classic map book. The DEM data in the basemap isn't detailed enough to support the "real" 3D mode on the Colorado.

I also have (parts of) CNE v9 NT and CNNA v2008 NT in the unit. There are som map samples from these already in my web album.

I know that it works with at least 4 GB cards, from what I've been told. I don't have any such SD card, so I can't try it. My cameras use CF, so the only larger cards I have are CF.

What they've done to the map segment limit I don't know. Neither do I know if it's different for pre-loaded maps vs. those you install by yourself.

[/quote

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This thead is getting pretty deep but I'll post what I found out talking with a Garmin tech this morning on this thread. Bottom line: Tech says it does not support satellite imagery - after checking . The size of the SD is 4 gig max - after checking. Paperless caching character limit is whatever geocaching.com sends - after checking. He didn't know whether geocaching.com had a special format for the Colorado only. Sector map limit he thought was over 6000 because the 400t has all of topo 2008 on it. He mentioned that the programmers were able to fit it all in the internal memory which he thought was over 1 gig. (but that may be due to larger sector map reformatting) Thats all I could get out of them except that they thought the units would be available at major distributers by mid Feb so you could actually hold it in your hand at a local store. If you've heard something different or got a different slant after talking to Garmin please correct or add. Thanks

[/quote

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This thead is getting pretty deep but I'll post what I found out talking with a Garmin tech this morning on this thread. Bottom line: Tech says it does not support satellite imagery - after checking . The size of the SD is 4 gig max - after checking. Paperless caching character limit is whatever geocaching.com sends - after checking. He didn't know whether geocaching.com had a special format for the Colorado only. Sector map limit he thought was over 6000 because the 400t has all of topo 2008 on it. He mentioned that the programmers were able to fit it all in the internal memory which he thought was over 1 gig. (but that may be due to larger sector map reformatting) Thats all I could get out of them except that they thought the units would be available at major distributers by mid Feb so you could actually hold it in your hand at a local store. If you've heard something different or got a different slant after talking to Garmin please correct or add. Thanks

Edited by sli23sli

MtnHermit,

Garmin; "Topo U.S. 2008 provides land elevation contours with elevation shading on the PC".

I am not familiar enough with the file structure to know whether the DEM data is embedded in the map set sent to the GPS receiver, but the elevation shading is not available on present models such as the 60/76Cx or eTrex HC series.

On the PC, moving the cursor to an area between elevation contours displays intermediate elevations.

Colorado for sale at Off-Route - ready to ship on or before 18 January, 2008 - see

Colorado 300 currently for sale for US$424.95

Is it possible that Garmins ETA for the Colorado is wrong and Off-route will ship (ready to ship on or before 18 January, 2008) I am curious because I am ready to order one!

Garmin; "Topo U.S. 2008 provides land elevation contours with elevation shading on the PC".

I am not familiar enough with the file structure to know whether the DEM data is embedded in the map set sent to the GPS receiver, but the elevation shading is not available on present models such as the 60/76Cx or eTrex HC series.

On the PC, moving the cursor to an area between elevation contours displays intermediate elevations.

That suggests to me Topo 2008 is a new class of product with embedded DEMs. This shading feature is already available in Mapsource (PC) and is awaiting a new class of handhelds (Colorado) to display there. So I'll now suggest Anders 300 will display shading with Topo 2008 or similiar products. Kudos to Garmin.

Getting DEMs is trivial, especially for the US. With the SRTM, likely the whole planet. But the data sets can be huge, clearly Garmin has reduced the dataset to a manageable level.

Thanks

Yes, I have done that, actually, I've just not commented on it yet. They look just like the old style maps. There's no elevation data, except a text attribute associated with each contour line. But that's not really elevation data in that context as DEM is. It's just a text, that happens to tell humans (not computers/navigators) the elevation.

I've also tried installing a gpx file, created by GSAK, to see what happens. That works well. It includes more logs for the caches than the file produced by pocket queries from Groundspeak's site, and they all show up on the Colorado.

It also turned out that two such gpx files can exist in the Colorado at the same time, so it's possible to update parts of your database, without disturbing other parts, when required (or desired).

Edited by apersson850

Colorado for sale at Off-Route - ready to ship on or before 18 January, 2008 - see

Colorado 300 currently for sale for US$424.95

Is it possible that Garmins ETA for the Colorado is wrong and Off-route will ship (ready to ship on or before 18 January, 2008) I am curious because I am ready to order one!

looks like off-route changed their tune...

"This item should ship on or before 2/13/2008"

Yes, I have done that, actually, I've just not commented on it yet. They look just like the old style maps. There's no elevation data, except a text attribute associated with each contour line. But that's not really elevation data in that context as DEM is. It's just a text, that happens to tell humans (not computers/navigators) the elevation.
Excellent!!!

I fully expect humans to be the primary users of the Colorado, so that should work well.

If I PMed my email, would you send me a couple of screenshots?

Thanks

I've also tried installing a gpx file, created by GSAK, to see what happens. That works well. It includes more logs for the caches than the file produced by pocket queries from Groundspeak's site, and they all show up on the Colorado.

It also turned out that two such gpx files can exist in the Colorado at the same time, so it's possible to update parts of your database, without disturbing other parts, when required (or desired).

Anders, this is truly awesome news! Precisely what I had hoped to hear! Garmin has mastered paperless caching it seems from what you report. I've been following your excellent reviews and comments and thank you so much for your time and efforts to inform us and providing actual screen shots! One question; do the geocache waypoints you created using GSAK display (or are visible) on the map screen like other waypoints?

No, they aren't. But that, together with several other suggestions, are being considered by Garmin, so perhaps they decide to improve on the geocaching functionality of this unit even more.

Regarding the Colorado map for the Colorado, do you want any particular scale?

Well, it's no big deal, actually, as I just now figured out how to have more than one map set in the Colorado's internal map memory. So I can let the demo map stay, together with my topo map, in spite of not having my map on this computer. Otherwise, I could just generate them in one file at the same time, of course.

Edited by apersson850

No, they aren't. But that, together with several other suggestions, are being considered by Garmin, so perhaps they decide to improve on the geocaching functionality of this unit even more.

That's good news as that seems to be a big flaw in the geocaching functionality.

Anders are the geocache logs displayed in one screen that you scroll down through or on several pages that you switch between?

That is great news, I'm really hoping that Garmin has done a good enough job with the paperless caching feature to eliminate having to carry around a Palm-like device. If that is the case this is huge deal for me -- one less device to carry into the woods.

BTW, when you did the import of the GPX file into the Colorado you said that the geocaches don't show up as normal waypoints. What about the child waypoints for caches like parking, trailhead, etc? How do these show up on the Colorado?

GO$Rs

So from my understand the only real difference between the 300 and 400 series is the 400 series come pre-loaded with a mapset.

So... is there any reason someone would want to buy a 400t/c/i over a 300 if they already have the maps they want? (Topo 2008 and City Navigator 2008 NT in my case) if I already own Topo 2008 can I just load it and essentially make the 300 a 400t? or am I missing something here?

Regarding the Colorado map for the Colorado, do you want any particular scale?

I zoom scale that shows the 40-foot contours, as big as possible still showing 40'. Also pick if possible with water features and not roads.

You're really awesome, customs screenshots. :(

Thanks

I wouldn't see a reason to. The more expensive price is for the pre loaded maps and the extra mem to load those maps. -WW

All right, the screenshots of the Colorado map on the Colorado are there.

The advantage of buying a 400 is that it has more internal memory, with pre-loaded maps, so you'll get more space free on your SD card, alternatively not need any SD card.

But if you already have the maps, on your PC, then I see no reason to buy anything but the 300. Especially if you have maps where you can get a second code for free. If not, you have to buy the maps again anyway.

The advantage of buying a 400 is that it has more internal memory.

are there exact numbers out there yet as to how much internal memory each unit has? (300 vs the 400)

and if I load up my TOPO 2008 maps on the 300, will I get the same DEM shading/mapping that comes standard with the maps on the 400t?

Edited by Aberrix

Looking at properties for the system drive in the 300, it's 467 MB. Probably a 512 MB chip, where som parts are hidden for the user.

When fresh out of the box, you have about 384 MB available for your maps.

The largest preloaded models probably have 4 GB internal flash drives, as I think these maps exceed 3 GB.

Looking at properties for the system drive in the 300, it's 467 MB. Probably a 512 MB chip, where som parts are hidden for the user.

When fresh out of the box, you have about 384 MB available for your maps.

The largest preloaded models probably have 4 GB internal flash drives, as I think these maps exceed 3 GB.

so just justifying it to myself, the larger internal memory and pre-loaded map is probably worth the extra $100...

apersson850, have you tried any of the custom maps many of us make and give away? They are basically transparent topo and trail maps. With the 60CSX you can have City Navigator and then have transparent topo maps and trail maps display over City Navigator. Do you know if this works in the Colorado? What would be outstanding is if you could put City Navigator on the SD card and then load your custom transparent maps into internal memory and then have City Navigator and the transparent maps both showing.

Thanks so much for sharing!

apersson850, have you tried any of the custom maps many of us make and give away? They are basically transparent topo and trail maps. With the 60CSX you can have City Navigator and then have transparent topo maps and trail maps display over City Navigator. Do you know if this works in the Colorado? What would be outstanding is if you could put City Navigator on the SD card and then load your custom transparent maps into internal memory and then have City Navigator and the transparent maps both showing.

Thanks so much for sharing!

It doesn't look like the 300 has the 3D map features of the 400 series?

Also, are the topo maps that come with 400t the same as the ones iin topo 2008?

I have seen this question asked many many times and have yet to see an answer. Does it stand to reason that Garmin does not offer/own any other topo maps for the U.S. other than Mapsource topo US, Mapsource Topo 2008 and the National Park Topo ones? If so I would rather own the DVD so I can use on the PC as well as load it on my 300 Than to have a preloaded set on my 400T. I really don't think memory would be that big of an issue for me. 384MB is huge compared to my Legend which I believe has 8MB.

No, I haven't had the time to try any transparent map on the Colorado. But I'd be surprised if it didn't support what works on other units.

The 300 can show 3D maps, if you install any. The basemap DEM data is too coarse to allow for a 3D view.

So basically:

300 + extra memory + Topo 2008 = 400T?

Perhaps a dumb question from a current Magellan user: Does the Colorado 400t autoroute with the installed Topo maps, or will I need to add street maps to the unit to accomplish that?

No, none of the Garmin Topo maps will autoroute. You will need street maps like City Navigator.

Edited by Timpat

Perhaps a dumb question from a current Magellan user: Does the Colorado 400t autoroute with the installed Topo maps, or will I need to add street maps to the unit to accomplish that?

No, none of the Garmin Topo maps will not autoroute. You will need street maps like City Navigator.

stolen from the 400t site, at the bottom of the page.

"Plug in and Go

Conveniently plug in optional preloaded SD cards for all your outdoor activities on land or water. Just insert a MapSource card with detailed street maps, and Colorado provides turn-by-turn directions to your destination."

No, none of the Garmin Topo maps will not autoroute. You will need street maps like City Navigator.

stolen from the 400t site, at the bottom of the page.

"Plug in and Go

Conveniently plug in optional preloaded SD cards for all your outdoor activities on land or water. Just insert a MapSource card with detailed street maps, and Colorado provides turn-by-turn directions to your destination."

The KEY words there being "optional preloaded SD cards for all your outdoor activities on land or water."