Garmin Colorado

AV Dezign

Here is a scan of the 300 unit from a hunting magazine.

What magazine was it and was there any accompanying info in the story?

It was a French hunting mag called "Sentier Chasse-Pêche" and no info, they were simply mentioning the upcomming units along with this one was the Triton and the Onix from Bushnell.

It looks like the 400 is 0.6" shorter than the 60CSX and slightly wider (0.1"). The loaded 3D topos sounds cool. The OPs post shows a Colorado 300 any info on that?

Nothing as of yet, but since the 400 had a compass and barometer, you can expect a lower version (Maybe the 300) without it.

MY GPS V has a nice Rocker. Large and works. Haven't messed much wiht the 60, never heard any complains about the Magellan Rocker on the sport track.

To answer another post The Bass Pro Shop's online add is still up as of this post.

I hope this new unit allows you to change the screen view from portrait to landscape like the V did. If so, it could certainly be the best on-trail/on-road GPSr out there. It would basically be the GPS VI that I've been begging for. I would definitely buy one.
MY GPS V has a nice Rocker. Large and works. Haven't messed much wiht the 60, never heard any complains about the Magellan Rocker on the sport track.

To answer another post The Bass Pro Shop's online add is still up as of this post.

I hope this new unit allows you to change the screen view from portrait to landscape like the V did. If so, it could certainly be the best on-trail/on-road GPSr out there. It would basically be the GPS VI that I've been begging for. I would definitely buy one.

Looking at the photos we are both SOL in that regard.

My only hope is that there is a reason that the model name is printed sideways next to the screen rather than above or below the screen like other models.

Looks like Garmin took the info off their web site. Google had a link for the manuel but it is not there anymore.

I worry about how the maps will work. Will you be able to load maps onto a card or do you have to buy a preloaded card?

I also worry about custom maps, particularly trail maps. Will they still work?

How detailed will the topo maps be?

Looks like Garmin took the info off their web site. Google had a link for the manuel but it is not there anymore.

Wish someone would have downloaded that!
It was only a link to the manual page. The pdf file was yet to be loaded. (I suspect you'll have to wait a couple of weeks [or months, try viewing the new edge manuals] after the release for it to be available.

Wish someone would have downloaded that!
It was only a link to the manual page. The pdf file was yet to be loaded. (I suspect you'll have to wait a couple of weeks [or months, try viewing the new edge manuals] after the release for it to be available.

Thanks. I don't feel like I missed something now!

I don't think we should dismiss this idea too quickly. A landscape orientation option for on-road use could explain why they went with a touchpad and why the touchpad is on the "top" of the unit, which would be the right side when you turn the unit around. The GPS V had its keys on the right, as do those paddle-shaped Magellan Roadmates. So we have a marine-oriented Colorado and a topo-oriented Colorado. Garmin seems to have some bright people working there, so it wouldn't surprise me if a road-oriented Colorado comes out.

<snip> A landscape orientation option for on-road use could explain why they went with a touchpad and why the touchpad is on the "top" of the unit, which would be the right side when you turn the unit around. <snip>

...uh...they haven't gone with a touchpad...there's no mention of a touchscreen interface in their specs - just the Rock 'n Roller input wheel.

Since it has ANT wireless like the Edge, I wonder what 3rd party ANT + Sport™-enabled accessories will work.

Wireless keyboard?? Wireless USB?

Judging by the accessories page of the product page, I say you have the right idea. They have a wireless cadence device that will work with it, so I expect other wireless devices to be sold.

http://209.85.207.104/search?q=cache:90TqA...;cd=1&gl=us

The other interesting thing I think is that topo maps will now show shaded relief on this device instead of just on the PC.

Edited by jcc123

<snip> A landscape orientation option for on-road use could explain why they went with a touchpad and why the touchpad is on the "top" of the unit, which would be the right side when you turn the unit around. <snip>

...uh...they haven't gone with a touchpad...there's no mention of a touchscreen interface in their specs - just the Rock 'n Roller input wheel.

I'm pretty sure that he was referring to the Rock-n-Roller.

One more SOFTWARE feature I would like to see is the ability for the GPS unit to ask you to automaticly update to the current time zone as you move locations. IE: driving for say Pacific Time Zone to Mountain Time Zone the unit should prompt with "Would you like to updat to the current timezone?" the unit show a time zone line and this could be easily recognized.

I too would like to have the option of a horizontal or vertical orientation of the unit like the V had.

maybe with all of this discussion GARMIN will listen and include the features.

I don't think we should dismiss this idea too quickly. A landscape orientation option for on-road use could explain why they went with a touchpad and why the touchpad is on the "top" of the unit, which would be the right side when you turn the unit around. The GPS V had its keys on the right, as do those paddle-shaped Magellan Roadmates. So we have a marine-oriented Colorado and a topo-oriented Colorado. Garmin seems to have some bright people working there, so it wouldn't surprise me if a road-oriented Colorado comes out.

Maybe we will get lucky. The GPS V antanea is a weak link in that it gets loose. The fixed one of this model would solve that problem. With better reception it probably wouldn't matter much if it's not movable.

Do they really mean you can only transfer waypoints, etc, to units within 3 m (10ft)? Seems mighty short.

Man... just about the time I'd settled on a Rino... if they put the same radio setup as the high end Rinos in these, I'd buy it tomorrow ('cept they ain't selling it yet!).

For sharing info with someone standing next to you, 3m is all you need. The transmitter is probably some dinky little internal thingy.

...<snip>

And with so much built-in memory, some people may never need to use the SD slot (assuming most of the 384MB is available).

I dunno. When it comes to memory, my motto is "Too much is never enough." If I could chuck the world on a 4 GB SDHC chip and keep it in there, that's one less thing for me to keep track of.
I suspect this internal memory is for the preloaded maps that come with it. Want to add anything else and you'll need a SD card.

Also predict that the screen will only be displayed vertically, and the 2-axis compass will be on the higher end models too, but one can always dream.

Also predict that ..... the 2-axis compass will be on the higher end models too, but one can always dream.

You mean 3-axis, right?

My Garmin 60cs has a 2-axis compass, and it's horrible to work with. You must hold the unit perfectly parallel with the ground for it to work. Even then, it doesn't seem very accurate.

As I understand it, a 3-axis compass allows you to hold the GPS unit any way you want.

Do they really mean you can only transfer waypoints, etc, to units within 3 m (10ft)? Seems mighty short.

Man... just about the time I'd settled on a Rino... if they put the same radio setup as the high end Rinos in these, I'd buy it tomorrow ('cept they ain't selling it yet!).

For sharing info with someone standing next to you, 3m is all you need. The transmitter is probably some dinky little internal thingy.

...<snip>

And with so much built-in memory, some people may never need to use the SD slot (assuming most of the 384MB is available).

I dunno. When it comes to memory, my motto is "Too much is never enough." If I could chuck the world on a 4 GB SDHC chip and keep it in there, that's one less thing for me to keep track of.
I suspect this internal memory is for the preloaded maps that come with it. Want to add anything else and you'll need a SD card.

Also predict that the screen will only be displayed vertically, and the 2-axis compass will be on the higher end models too, but one can always dream.

As to the 384 megs for the internal maps. I doubt it. Is not it supposed to have detailed topo maps for the entire country built in? That's not going to fit on 384 megs! My bet is they will have the topoUSA maps built in instead of detailed maps.

Also predict that ..... the 2-axis compass will be on the higher end models too, but one can always dream.

You mean 3-axis, right?

My Garmin 60cs has a 2-axis compass, and it's horrible to work with. You must hold the unit perfectly parallel with the ground for it to work. Even then, it doesn't seem very accurate.

As I understand it, a 3-axis compass allows you to hold the GPS unit any way you want.

No, I stand by my statement, dream all you want, I say garmin is staying with its dinky 2-axis compass for all versions.

...<snip>

As to the 384 megs for the internal maps. I doubt it. Is not it supposed to have detailed topo maps for the entire country built in? That's not going to fit on 384 megs! My bet is they will have the topoUSA maps built in instead of detailed maps.

Hmm, less then 400megs is awfully small for all of the US, perhaps areas covered are divided into W,C,E. Perhaps your right and the internal memory is for up-loadable info. (going to be more of it with cache descriptions).
Hmm, less then 400megs is awfully small for all of the US, perhaps areas covered are divided into W,C,E. Perhaps your right and the internal memory is for up-loadable info. (going to be more of it with cache descriptions).
I assume that Garmin, like most manufacturers, uses standard chip sizes. The 60C, with 56MB of user memory, uses a 64MB chip, 8MB of which is dedicated to firmware, basemap, waypoint storage, etc. The 76C uses a 128MB chip with 13MB of overhead (due primarily to a more detailed basemap). I have to beleive, since there isn't a standard 384MB chip, that they are using a 512MB chip, and are using 128 for overhead (that's tons of room for waypoint info). I doubt that they are loading a 256MB chip and a 128MB chip to get to 384MB. Ain't idle speculation fun?

I stand by my statement, dream all you want, I say garmin is staying with its dinky 2-axis compass for all versions.

The Garmin Astro is said to have a 3-axis compass, but I haven't seen any reviews of it. It's probably in the dog unit; the receiving unit looks like a 60CSx with an extra antenna.

I stand by my statement, dream all you want, I say garmin is staying with its dinky 2-axis compass for all versions.

The Garmin Astro is said to have a 3-axis compass, but I haven't seen any reviews of it. It's probably in the dog unit; the receiving unit looks like a 60CSx with an extra antenna.

Why would the dog need a 3 axes compass? It's not like he would look at it to make any decisions! :D:P

Edited by AV Dezign

Why would the dog need a 3 axes compass? It's not like he would look at it to make any decisions! :P:D

True enough. It's the advanced training to teach the dog how to hold his 2D compass level that makes the 3D one worth it.

For those interested this is Garmins description....

Track log: 10,000 points, 20 saved tracks

This little detail slipped by me initially. Too bad Garmin is still focusing on the "fluff" and not putting effort into improving the core functionality of their handhelds. It's about time they started to use the SD card to store "and READ" their track logs. Let's hope this is just something that they forgot to mention...

For those interested this is Garmins description....

Track log: 10,000 points, 20 saved tracks

This little detail slipped by me initially. Too bad Garmin is still focusing on the "fluff" and not putting effort into improving the core functionality of their handhelds. It's about time they started to use the SD card to store "and READ" their track logs. Let's hope this is just something that they forgot to mention...

Yeah, still only 1000 waypoints, too. I'd love to load in all of Los Angeles, and not have to use POIs.

The wireless sharing feature is awesome, though! In group geocaching, it's so common to have to share coordinates. However, the geeks with the brand new Colorados are likely to be the ones who already have downloaded the waypoints. So it will take a while for everyone to have this for it to be truly useful.

-Ben

Why would the dog need a 3 axes compass? It's not like he would look at it to make any decisions! :D:D

True enough. It's the advanced training to teach the dog how to hold his 2D compass level that makes the 3D one worth it.

Fair enough, but why need a compass at all, I have a gps and it works just fine without one. It tells me where I am and what direction i am going. So WHY would a dog need a 3 axes compass.

Fair enough, but why need a compass at all, I have a gps and it works just fine without one. It tells me where I am and what direction i am going. So WHY would a dog need a 3 axes compass.

I've owned many GPS receivers over the years, and most didn't have an electronic compass. I used to look at the electronic compass the same way you do, I felt I had no need.

One day while out caching in a thick woods I ended up in the middle of a swampy part of the woods, and I couldn't go straight 5 feet in any direction(hopping high ground to high ground). so without being able to move in a straight line at all I couldn't use the compass screens arrow at all and had to rely on the bearing data field and the real compass I had with me.

Soon there after I bought a vistaCX, and now if I'm ever in the thick woods were it's impossible to always be moving I just turn on the electronic compass. I will say though adding the Electronic compass and altimeter do add a slight bit more complexity to the unit, you do need to know how to calibrate them and know how to turn off the electronic compass.

Lastly the garmin astro does have a 3-axis compass, but only in the handheld part of the unit(the human end). The Receiver the dog wears I'm pretty certain doesn't have the compass features. :D

Have they not heard of touch screens?
With current technology, it's not possible to make a waterproof unit with a touchscreen.

Says who? there are plenty of professional products out there that are waterproof and have a touch screen, Nauticomp Displays for boats are some of them, and so are raindrop monitors, and you can make your PDA waterproof and still keep the touch screen active using a flexible membrane like otterboxes, so why could you not build a unit around that technology? Meazura makes waterproof PDAs, cellphones, digital cameras, and speakers, DAP also make windozed pda that are rugged and waterproof. Don't worry, the tech for making a touchscreen that is waterproof is around.

If I read the Garmin pages correctly, the Topo Maps are on a preloaded SD card. Which is good, because there is a big world out there that does not need US topo maps. We can only hope there is a version without those maps as I'm sure most here own them already....

Let's guess "400" is the unit without the preloaded cards.... The "300" is without the altimeter/compass.

Hey can someone fix the typo in the title? It'll make searching harder than needed.

Edited by Red90

And what about Macintosh support?

Garmin promised us Mapsource for 2007: nothing has happened (except Mapconvert and Mapinstall, that are almost useless because you need a PC). We're december 18th.

I hope there will be full Mac OS support this time. <_<

Edited by lewis82

Garmin promised us Mapsource for 2007: nothing has happened (except Mapconvert and Mapinstall, that are almost useless because you need a PC). We're december 18th.

I hope there will be full Mac OS support this time. <_<

yeah, good luck with that...

I hope there will be full Mac OS support this time. :)

I agree...Mac users are left behind in some aspects of software development.

Anybody know any information as to the specs on the upcoming Hybrid GPS units from Garmin? The Colorado series is said to be coming out in in the beginning of next year and already in the hands of many stores for demonstration.

What is it a "hybrid" of? A GPSr and what?

Runs on ethenol and batteries. Gives you about 24hrs battery time. :P -WW

Anybody know any information as to the specs on the upcoming Hybrid GPS units from Garmin? The Colorado series is said to be coming out in in the beginning of next year and already in the hands of many stores for demonstration.

What is it a "hybrid" of? A GPSr and what?

Runs on ethenol and batteries. Gives you about 24hrs battery time. :P -WW

Hydrogen fuel cells would be cool too. Just buy a can of H2, plug it in the recharge hole. Instant charge and at least 12 hours battery time. :P

For real, an hybrid GPS is a mix between a road and a trail unit. Like the Colorado or the Magellan Crossover.

I hope there will be full Mac OS support this time. :back:

Amen to that brother. They've been promising for quite a while now, but no action's been seen. The overall market share is supposed to double in the next few years (according to tech research groups), and as I've explained to GPS manufacturer reps, the percentage of geocachers using Macs is probably far larger than that of the computer-using population in general.

Parsa