PDA

TeamPacRat

I am still new to this caching. I have been at it for a little over a month and find that it is a real pain printing out all that paper. I want to go paperless,but know nothoing abuot PDA's. What brandor model would be a good and cheap start with. Please HELP,for I am a real DUMMIE at this.

Thanks,

Fattmann50 P.C.,FL

I am still new to this caching. I have been at it for a little over a month and find that it is a real pain printing out all that paper. I want to go paperless,but know nothoing abuot PDA's. What brandor model would be a good and cheap start with. Please HELP,for I am a real DUMMIE at this.

Thanks,

Fattmann50 P.C.,FL

Since I don't have a PDA, but I do have an iPod, I have begun using my iPod to store all the notes associated with caches of interest. It doesn't store the logs, but the cache information, including hints, is there. This is very convenient, especially when traveling away from my computer.

Since I don't have a PDA, but I do have an iPod, I have begun using my iPod to store all the notes associated with caches of interest. It doesn't store the logs, but the cache information, including hints, is there. This is very convenient, especially when traveling away from my computer.

How in the heck is this accomplished? Been trying to figure it out for some time now. I'm stumped!

Edited by cacheninja

I have been using a Palm m500 for several years and it works great. The battery lasts for days between recharging and the monochrome screen is easy to see in bright sunlight. The Palm m505 or m515 are also good choices. I use Cachemate on my Palm.

I second this. Nice and inexpensive and does the job.

For the apps, check out Cachemate or Spinner + Plucker. People swear by both.

How in the heck is this accomplished? Been trying to figure it out for some time now. I'm stumped!

MacCaching.com.

Here is screenshot. Notice the "iPod notes".

picture-6.png

Ok.

That screenshot is too cool.

Once the data is on the ipod, how do use the ipod in conjunction with the Garmin to go geocaching.

Do I just keep the Ipod handy to read the hints for the caches I am seeking? Or do the Ipod and the Garmin actually sync together somehow?

Honestly, I have no clue. I don't own an iPod nor do I own a Mac. I simply did some research, found MacCaching.com, and did some "snooping" on their site. That's actually where I got the screen shot too. If you want to learn more, Google is just a click away...

Any of the mshould work. The Installation CD will need to be updated (or just avoid it and go to the Palm site for a Vista install file). I don't knwo the feature differences between the models you mentioned but I'm sure a quick Google search will answer your questions.

In short, any of them will do - it comes down to other features on the unit.

The Palm m500 will work fine for caching. Cachemate is the program I have on my Palm m500.

Now . . . how it will work with Vista, I'm not sure. It is my understanding that Palm has a version of their Palm Desktop software on their site that works with Vista. I would download that version to use with the PDA you purchase.

The m505 or m515 will also work for caching. The processor is a bit faster and the internal memory of the m515 is greater.

I'm using a sony clie. I like it. i got it for around 15 bucks on ebay. it has 8 megs memory (I'd get as much memory as you can afford. 1500 cache listings take 2 or 3 megs.) It also can use memory sticks and has a color screen. I'd say make sure it has all its cables and adapters as well as its sync software. Oh ... and make sure the battery is good.

I had no clue what i was buying when I bought it. i just watched for the most memory and features at the best price for a couple of days and then blindly jumped.

Chris

Edited by Muddy Chris

For the purpose of downloading the correct version of Cachemate for my Handspring Visor, I am assuming a Handspring Visor is a Palm OS and not a Windows OS. Is this correct?

30 seconds on Google: "Handspring was a maker of Personal Digital Assistants using the Palm OS operating system."

Self-reliance, an unknown concept. <_<:blink::huh:

Ok.

That screenshot is too cool.

Once the data is on the ipod, how do use the ipod in conjunction with the Garmin to go geocaching.

Do I just keep the Ipod handy to read the hints for the caches I am seeking? Or do the Ipod and the Garmin actually sync together somehow?

I just load up my eTrex Vista HCx with the caches of interest (from a Pocket Query) for the place I am visiting, and then I load up my iPod Notes from the same Pocket Query. I carry the GPSr and the iPod with me. They don't sync up in any way, but you just use the Waypoint code (begins with GC) to find the cache of interest on each.

One thing: in order for MacCaching to load notes to an iPod, you have to set the iPod to Disk Mode in iTunes. Be sure to set this back or unmount the iPod before disconnecting the sync cable.