Announcement: Grey Owl's Beaver Lodge Geocoin

Northbound

We're happy to announce Grey Owl's Beaver Lodge Geocoin.

This geocoin is inspired by Archibald Belaney (1888-1938) who was better known as Grey Owl.

He led the world to believe he was a North American Indian and brought to light environmental concerns through his books and lectures.

Coin Details:

* 40mm

* 30g

* Gold Plated

* Geocaching.com trackable

* Custom Icon grey-owl-32.gif

* 50 Special Edition (Blue Painted Sky)

* 200 Standard Edition (Misty Gold Sky)

* 3D Face of Grey Owl

* $8.50cdn/coin

For more details and to purchase yours, go to: www.northboundtradingcompany.com

Special Edition:

coin-front-200.gifcoin-back-se-200.gif

Standard Edition:

coin-front-200.gifcoin-back-std-200.gif

Hi TMOCM,

They are selling fast, but at this time, there are still Standard Edition coins available!. :-)

The 50 Special Edition coins are now all gone. :)

Sold out 250 coins already? That was fast!

..Northbound

www.northboundtradingcompany.com

Standard Edition:

coin-front-200.gifcoin-back-std-200.gif

Thanks, I know when I looked earlier both editions showed sold out, but I just check and the Standard Edition is now showing 170 available.

Nice looking coin. I didn't catch the reason this guy fooled everyone though, couldn't he have just preached his message as a "white" guy? Or did he feel his message would be more listened to if he was seen as a Native American Indian?

Also, I noticed the wording on the coin and found it surprising that Groundspeak allowed the "Geocaching.com Trackable". Everywhere I've seen they state it must say "Trackable on Geocaching.com" or "Track on Geocaching.com". Maybe the coin will be considered more "valued" because of this. Who's to say.

Hey Haughton's Hunters,

It was Grey Owl's childhood dream to live in the wild like a North American Indian. Once he came to Canada his dream of living in the wild came true, and the "white" lie got out of hand. The movie based on his life gives the impression that he really did not like the spotlight. He only wanted to live in the wild and write books away from people. The world/media wanted to believe he was something larger than life... ...just like we do with our celebrities today.

Two years ago we took a weekend and canoed to "beaver lodge". There are probably a few hundred people each year who hike, canoe or kayak there. The trip is not for the faint of heart, but those who go are rewarded with the wilderness that inspired Grey Owl some 80 years ago.

--We were camping alone at the north shore of Kingsmere Lake on a quite calm evening. (to reach Ajawaan Lake, you must hike alongside or paddle on Kingsmere Lake) At dusk, there was a sudden stir in the forest behind us where a large buck came crashing through the campsite and plunged into the lake. Dusk is the worst time for mosquito's, and we figured it was running to the only place it could get away. He swam around for about 5 minutes and then left back into the forest about 250 meters from us.

We look forward to visiting Ajawaan lake again this coming summer :laughing: (hmm... ...eventcache idea?!? LOL)

...Northbound

Nice looking coin. I didn't catch the reason this guy fooled everyone though, couldn't he have just preached his message as a "white" guy? Or did he feel his message would be more listened to if he was seen as a Native American Indian?

Also, I noticed the wording on the coin and found it surprising that Groundspeak allowed the "Geocaching.com Trackable". Everywhere I've seen they state it must say "Trackable on Geocaching.com" or "Track on Geocaching.com". Maybe the coin will be considered more "valued" because of this. Who's to say.

Thanks for the info. Quite a story too! I wouldn't mind getting away like that myself, but with "life" these days, it sure is tough.

Hey Haughton's Hunters,

It was Grey Owl's childhood dream to live in the wild like a North American Indian. Once he came to Canada his dream of living in the wild came true, and the "white" lie got out of hand. The movie based on his life gives the impression that he really did not like the spotlight. He only wanted to live in the wild and write books away from people. The world/media wanted to believe he was something larger than life... ...just like we do with our celebrities today.

Two years ago we took a weekend and canoed to "beaver lodge". There are probably a few hundred people each year who hike, canoe or kayak there. The trip is not for the faint of heart, but those who go are rewarded with the wilderness that inspired Grey Owl some 80 years ago.

--We were camping alone at the north shore of Kingsmere Lake on a quite calm evening. (to reach Ajawaan Lake, you must hike alongside or paddle on Kingsmere Lake) At dusk, there was a sudden stir in the forest behind us where a large buck came crashing through the campsite and plunged into the lake. Dusk is the worst time for mosquito's, and we figured it was running to the only place it could get away. He swam around for about 5 minutes and then left back into the forest about 250 meters from us.

We look forward to visiting Ajawaan lake again this coming summer :laughing: (hmm... ...eventcache idea?!? LOL)

...Northbound