GEOCACHING EVENT

Thought this might worth bringing to peoples attention as we have not noticed any mention of it up till now.

Today we bought the latest edition (January 2008) of Country Walking magazine and within one article outlining some walking weekends for next year the Crickhowell Walking Festival caught our eyes :rolleyes::ph34r:

There is a programme of events taking place over the 1st week of March but notably on the 1st-2nd March there is going to be a geocaching event with a new series of geocaches being placed around the Crickhowell area. There seems to be limited info available online at the moment but it may be worth bookmarking.

Perhaps there is a forum member that may know more about this event and be able to post information to enlighten us all. :unsure::unsure:

Know the area well - used to have a house nearby. March ... well snow could be a real problem. I have even been caught in a blizzard whiteout on Pen y Fan in April and had to get down pre-GPS days - not easy. But when the daffs are out its idyllic. Used to be a good outdoor shop in Crikhowell, and some good pubs. The lower levels near the river can flood! I'd say go for it, but at my age I am definietly a wimp and would pass this opportunity up.

Just had the reply below to my email to the "Crickhowell Resource & Information Centre". We'll certainly be keeping an eye out on their website early next year. :D

Thanks for your interest in the geo-caching planned for around Crickhowell next year. Details will be available in the New Year and, be assured, we will be setting up new caches in compliance with the geocaching rules so you will be able to log them as finds.

Keep an eye out on the website early next year!

Regards,

David Thomas

I've just sent an email to "Crickhowell Resource & Information Centre" to see if I can find out more about the geocaching part of the event. Will post here if they get back to me.

So have I, but from a reviewer's perspective. Maybe we can persuade them to post more details here.

I'm now in touch with, and working with, the person organising the Geocaching side of things. I'm confident it will be a good event with some fully compliant caches.

I've just sent an email to "Crickhowell Resource & Information Centre" to see if I can find out more about the geocaching part of the event. Will post here if they get back to me.

So have I, but from a reviewer's perspective. Maybe we can persuade them to post more details here.

I'm now in touch with, and working with, the person organising the Geocaching side of things. I'm confident it will be a good event with some fully compliant caches.

Evening All,

I have just submitted an Event Cache listing, which subject to review should be up in a few days, together with 6 new caches in the Crickhowell area, which will hopefully be available in time for 1 March, Dydd Dewi Sant.

Are the special caches for this event likely to go live sometime tonight? The reason I ask is that I hope to be out and about at a relatively early time tomorrow and want to get them electronically onto my GPSr in preparation.

I can fully understand why the caches have yet to be published and I know that a moderator is involved in helping set up these - I'm just wondering if they're only going to be made available tomorrow at the event (and then made public on the web site). If so, I may well build a list of alternative local caches to do instead. Its a completely new area for me at any rate so Looking forward to getting a few new red dots on a new part of the map tomorrow :o:o

Oops - I guess I didn't look hard enough - they've been there for weeks!

I could swear they weren't there yesterday when I looked though....

I was looking for a whole series of new caches with NEW next to them...

Confused looking penguin...

[Edit: Aaah. They were PLACED weeks ago but only went live tonight :o It's been a long day....]

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

Allrightey - the sun is shining and my bags are (almost) packed. I'll be on the road at 9 and should arrive there around 10:30am. Not really going for the prize and probably won't complete all the caches but hopefully may bump into familiar faces along the way and at the same time do some walking in an area of Wales I'm not familiar with - and hopefully discover where to meet afterwords as I'm not to clear on that at the moment...

[Edit: Aaah. They were PLACED weeks ago but only went live tonight :D It's been a long day....]

Yup! Published as soon as it got dark this evening. Enjoy :lol:

That didn't stop half of them being done before the day of the event though. :lol: What's the protocol on this? I know poor old Sniffadogz are still trying to recover after not getting their usual FTF fix. ;)

[Edit: Aaah. They were PLACED weeks ago but only went live tonight :D It's been a long day....]

Yup! Published as soon as it got dark this evening. Enjoy ;)

That didn't stop half of them being done before the day of the event though. :D What's the protocol on this? I know poor old Sniffadogz are still trying to recover after not getting their usual FTF fix. :)

At least there will be a nice 'cacher's trial' to make it easier next for us when we attend next week (I'm tapped in the Office this weekend on O/T. Wouldn't be too bad but the system is down so there's not a lot to do... :lol: ).

From the look of the logs on the event page, it seems like all it'll be us all on our own :lol: as everyone else hseems to have attended already!

Mike

Edited by Von-Horst

At least there will be a nice 'cacher's trial' to make it easier next for us when we attend next week (I'm tapped in the Office this weekend on O/T. Wouldn't be too bad but the system is down so there's not a lot to do... :lol: ).

From the look of the logs on the event page, it seems like all it'll be us all on our own :D as everyone else hseems to have attended already!

A very clever ploy to win the prize that's up for grabs next Saturday. :lol:

I hope you're as lucky with the weather as we were.

From the look of the logs on the event page, it seems like all it'll be us all on our own :D as everyone else seems to have attended already!

Mike

I am hoping to go next week car troubles not withstanding :laughing:

Excellent! It will be nice to know we're not on our own!

It was a great day - the caches are quite diverse in the nature of their locations making it all the more enjoyable.

There are also several pre-existing caches quite close to the new ones so a quick check of the local area may me a good idea unless you're trying to be first to find all 6.

The rules with regard to this appear to have changed though - the original post seemed to imply that it was the first to find all 6 that got the prize but more recent posts suggest that it's now a "first out of the hat" for each weekend - or am I wrong?

If you arrive at 9am, the time available is quite comfortable to complete all 6. we only completed 5 but we only started at 10:30am and stopped at 4pm. All the tokens had been removed from all the caches by then too.

The rules with regard to this appear to have changed though - the original post seemed to imply that it was the first to find all 6 that got the prize but more recent posts suggest that it's now a "first out of the hat" for each weekend - or am I wrong?

If you arrive at 9am, the time available is quite comfortable to complete all 6. we only completed 5 but we only started at 10:30am and stopped at 4pm. All the tokens had been removed from all the caches by then too.

To quote from The Cache Page ~

On the weekend of 1-2 March and again on 8-9 March, whoever is first to collect a set of 6 individual tokens and hand them in to Headquarters (the Crickhowell Resource & Information Centre – hence CRiC - at SO2180018500) will receive a prize of a Gift Token for the UKGeocachers shop.

Then a note posted 29th February 2008 mentions ~

- Prizes. The Prize of a £15 voucher from the Geocache Shop for the FTF will be awarded and notified on this site early next week – after the dust has settled. In the event of more than one entry with the same number of tokens, the winner will be drawn at random.

- Next Weekend. Remember there will be another set of tokens distributed for next weekend (8/9 Mar) and another prize for FTF too!

So 2 Prizes will be awarded one for each weekend, so hopefully sniffadogz will get his HO HUM reward! :D:laughing:

Edited by Write and Mane

From the look of the logs on the event page, it seems like all it'll be us all on our own :D as everyone else seems to have attended already!

Mike

I am hoping to go next week car troubles not withstanding :laughing:

Excellent! It will be nice to know we're not on our own!

I didnt do any of the new caches around there as a few of us went off to do the cave entrances series in Llangattock instead....so if I'm half as sober as I was last weekend then I will be back up to do the new ones on the Sunday.