Has anybody tried the new Spot Satellite Messenger?

There's a new gps/satellite-based emergency reporting device available. Here's the web site:

Spot Satellite Messenger Home Page

It's a lot cheaper than other satellite beaconing devices. It's $150 for the device, plus $100 per year for service.

It's really unique because in addition to allowing you to report life-threatening emergencies from anywhere, it also allows you to send "I'm okay" messages and track your progress on Google maps for friends and family to see.

I'm thinking of getting one for when I go geocaching in the backcountry beyond cell phone coverage.

So far, the reviews seem pretty good.

Has anybody tried one of these things?

This is a great product! I hope that it can be a new feature on the next gen Garmin 60 series.

SPOT is a subsidiary of Globalstar, and thus has access to that company's satellite telephone network. (Not that the SSM has phone capability, but it transmits to Globalstar's satellites.) So Garmin would have to arrange with a similar company to support such a feature. Of course, that would also add an annual fee to the Garmin's cost. BTW, the Google Maps tracking capability on the SSM is an extra $50 a year above the $100 basic subscription.

I agree that it's a really interesting device. I had a salesperson at REI show me on a few weeks ago. I don't have a good excuse to buy one myself, but if a friend ever does, I'll be right there to play with it more. :mad:

Patty

$100/year sounds pretty steep, that's more than OnStar and only does one thing.

It's more expensive because the communications are done through the satellite network. OnStar uses satellite navigation to determine positon, but uses the celluar network to communicate. Therefore a 4X4 out in the backcountry where no cell service is available would not be able to use its OnStar service.

$100/year sounds pretty steep, that's more than OnStar and only does one thing.

For areas with no cell phone coverage it's an alternative to satellite phones (very expensive initial costs and air time) or Personal Locator Beacon ( no monthly fees but expensive and only one option for use).

If the financial future of Globalstar was more certain I'd be more interested.

YES it works, and it's absolutely worth it.!

Several folks here in western Colorado were able to be rescued as a direct result of them this Winter.

Two tower maintenance workers with a stuck snowmobile 20 mile from the nearest road, a family of 8 with stuck machines in a deep canyon.....end results were, all at home in their own warm beds before the night was over.

Easily could have been life threatening, definitely saved a miserably cold night in the snow, which could have turned out the other way.

......and you can send an "OK" check-in message so that your wife, girlfriend,or ??? etc is not worried. (and you don't get reamed when you get back)

Edited by Grasscatcher