UK MEGA EVENT

John NW

Hi All

We keep hearing about Geo-Woodstock (now in it's 5th year) and we were wondering why we are missing out on a MEGA event in the UK - we know that Glastonbury followed Woodstock musically - so is there any chance of a Geo-Glastonbury geocachingly?!?! Could we assemble 500 cachers at one time in the UK?!? :D

It would be a great opportunity not only to meet with cachers from all over the country and from further afield but it would allow the participants to obtain the Mega Event icon.

We know that we are raising our head above the parapet to be flamed and ridiculed but if no-one suggests it it will never happen. :(

We thought a good place for it would be somewhere geographically central - maybe somewhere like the final place of the Alchemy series, but if anyone has any suggestions ideas to throw into the melting pot that would be great...

What do you think?

Over to you...

Criteria are simple enough get 500 cachers together (source Groundspeak email when requesting mega status for the shrops event). Note the term cachers team markandlynn would count as five cachers.

Get them all to sign a log book as proof of attendance.

To do this you need to appeal to a wider array than normally attend events ie campers camp, pub luncher lunch, flash mobs flash !! etc

To do this you need the ideal week for the event the last week of august fits this quite well.

It will involve attracting more than just the people who camp you would need good nearby hotel's / accomodation as well as camping / carravanning facilities.

Food ie on site catering etc and events within the events to help people with kids, disabilities etc.

In the UK id also suggest that advertsing it far enough in advance would be ideal but without mega staus the cache would not advertise itself (kind of a circular argument)

I know the shrops event was aiming for these heights a few years ago .

I see no reason with the right location and organisation its not possible.

Germany have managed it (allthough the number of armchair cachers in germany makes me doubt the attendence figure :unsure::rolleyes: )

Yes, we had been thinking much the same and had considered organising one. But after much dwelling on this we decided that our organisational skills are not realy up to this, and along with a possible job and house move next year we decided to drop the idea. We are more than willing to lend a hand to anyone else who would like to take the lead though.

We had considered using Billing Aquadrome near Northampton as it is reasonably central-ish with good transport links, and it is well set-up for large rallies. It is regularly used for the annual meets for car and caravan clubs. On the downside it is not the prettiest part of the country (sorry to anyone from Northampton :rolleyes: ), but there are a lot of caches in the area.

Yes, we had been thinking much the same and had considered organising one. But after much dwelling on this we decided that our organisational skills are not realy up to this, and along with a possible job and house move next year we decided to drop the idea. We are more than willing to lend a hand to anyone else who would like to take the lead though.

We had considered using Billing Aquadrome near Northampton as it is reasonably central-ish with good transport links, and it is well set-up for large rallies. It is regularly used for the annual meets for car and caravan clubs. On the downside it is not the prettiest part of the country (sorry to anyone from Northampton :rolleyes: ), but there are a lot of caches in the area.

It needs a committee.......perhaps that's to strong a term.....a group of people who can meet and organise it, the events too big to organise for a single person/couple.

Sounds an excellent idea, but needs to be central for any Scottish cachers to attend - pretty please!! (Yorkshire-ish?)

:rolleyes::unsure:

The centre of mainland England is at grid reference SP 364 968 (Lindley Hall Farm, 1.5 km east of Fenny Drayton in Leicestershire. More precisely, SP 36382 96821 to the nearest metre.

Last time this was in the forums most people gave up because of location issues id suggest we get some volunteers first who can then dictate the location thats good for them to get to and organise at after all if its 200 miles from them then how can they organise it and keep a day job ??

Ill volunteer to do the webpage http://ukgeoevent.org/

but will gladly step down if anyone else want to do it ?

Doesn't need to be dead centre of the country, just where there is a good network of motorways nearby for those travelling a fair distance, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Cumbria areas are easy to travel to from this end. West coast motorways seem more practical/faster than East coast (from this end anyway). Those dragging caravans will also need to be considered. Major airports for any Irish attendees?

Sorry its not an easy decision to make, just need to suit the majority to get the high numbers to class it as a MEGA event.

Perhaps need to take a vote on possible locations and who would be willing to attend??

To do this you need the ideal week for the event the last week of august fits this quite well.

It isn't actually the best time, Scottish cachers with kids may not be able to make it? The children would have been back at school for at least 2 weeks by then. A fact that gets forgot about by the English all the time. No malice intended, even the BBC don't recognise that the schools break up at least 3 weeks before England. The only good thing about it, is that if you plan your holidays correctly you can get them cheaper as they are out of the peak times!! But I digress! The best time for when kids are off, would be within the first 2 weeks of August. I believe that the whole of the UK's kids are on holiday then?

I also have to agree with PP's on location. It shouldn't just be what is central landmass within the UK, but central to how people can get there. It takes a days travelling to come down from the North of Scotland to Edinburgh for example. In the same time I can drive down South. When I do drive South it takes me an hour going West before I get a motorway, or 3 hours going South before hitting one! Our landscape doesn't allow for major roads to be built, which means it takes an age to get somewhere.

I do agree however that it can be a bone of contention on the location. So I think it should solely be down to the person who takes the bull by the horns and organises the event.

Doesn't need to be dead centre of the country, just where there is a good network of motorways nearby for those travelling a fair distance, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Cumbria areas are easy to travel to from this end. West coast motorways seem more practical/faster than East coast (from this end anyway). Those dragging caravans will also need to be considered. Major airports for any Irish attendees?

Sorry its not an easy decision to make, just need to suit the majority to get the high numbers to class it as a MEGA event.

Perhaps need to take a vote on possible locations and who would be willing to attend??

TLHM will go but it does need to be centralish. Midlands is fine for those from the SE any further and it becomes a bit of a trek, which makes it a long trek for those from Scotland, Ireland and the SW.

A UK Mega Event - I'd suggest somewhere close to a motorway. Anywhere just about - as far north as Yorkshire, as far south as Berkshire, as far west as Bristol, as far east as Peterborough-ish. I don't think location is such a big deal as long as it is within easy access of a motorway and a railway station as the people who will want to attend a mega event will make the effort anyhow.

You'd want it to be as inclusive as possible but it will not inclusive for everyone. You just can not accommodate everyone's wishes, request and / or needs.

I do agree however that it can be a bone of contention on the location. So I think it should solely be down to the person who takes the bull by the horns and organises the event.

They seemed shut round fort william earlier this year :unsure: ??

First week of August is fine round here so thats the date sorted ! one down many to go :unsure:

wholeheartedly agree on location if the team of volunteers are mainly in london then london it will be :unsure::rolleyes:

allthough anywhere in shropshire or staffordshire would be nice :ph34r: where in the uk has the highest density of cachers ???

They seemed shut round fort william earlier this year :unsure: ??

First week of August is fine round here so thats the date sorted ! one down many to go :rolleyes:

Well at least that is sorted. As you can see from the Scottish Education Authority for the year 2007/08 all schools in Scotland where back no later than the 21st August 2007 (Fort William where actually back on the 14th!) and break up between the 27th June and 4th July 2008. That is probably a good month before England?

I would say that Kendal is the best compromise, as (in travelling terms) it is central, and is reasonably near the ferry links for NI and ROI. The problem may be getting somewhere to stage such an event in the summer holidays.

Kendal's a bit of a trek for us Southerners but the Lake District in Summer would be smashing.

Someone :rolleyes: Needs to place an Event cache with date and place e.g. 1st Week August, Kendal and see how many sign up!

I would say that Kendal is the best compromise, as (in travelling terms) it is central, and is reasonably near the ferry links for NI and ROI. The problem may be getting somewhere to stage such an event in the summer holidays.

Not very handy for anyone coming from Europe. Somewhere within striking distance of the chunnel/channel ports might be better. M1 side of the country I'd say. Notts/Derbyshire or Yorkshire. They are accessible same day from just about anywhere.

a.

Not very handy for anyone coming from Europe. Somewhere within striking distance of the chunnel/channel ports might be better. M1 side of the country I'd say. Notts/Derbyshire or Yorkshire. They are accessible same day from just about anywhere.

a.

As someone who has seen the usuall UK style event and a USA mega event what are the main differences ? if any other than more people per square inch ?

With so many "cheap" flights from various parts of the UK and across the whole of Europe on airlines such as Easyjet and Ryanair you might consider somewhere not too far from an airport served by them, Luton and Stanstead come to mind. They also have good road/rail links for those not flying.

Just a suggestion.

Oh, and don't worry about pre-publicity, I think I can speak for the other reviewers in suggesting the normal timeline could be waived for such an event.

We're an English speaking family in Sweden and this is something we'd be interested in attending. There are 4 of us in our family, and I can think of at least 5 others that might be interested in attending from here in Sweden and some in Germany and Norway, as well.

For us key is close to an airport that a budget airline like Ryan flies in to and cheap lodging, since trips like this for families tend to run a bit more. Possibly someone on your end who could help attendees find hotels, rental caravans, etc?

Or does someone have a place for a very nice family with 2 charming little girls to bunk in at?

Naomi :rolleyes:

With so many "cheap" flights from various parts of the UK and across the whole of Europe on airlines such as Easyjet and Ryanair you might consider somewhere not too far from an airport served by them, Luton and Stanstead come to mind. They also have good road/rail links for those not flying.

Just a suggestion.

Oh, and don't worry about pre-publicity, I think I can speak for the other reviewers in suggesting the normal timeline could be waived for such an event.

What about The Peak District then, surrounded by motorways, Manchester airport nearby - just about in range of the Dublin -> Holyhead Ferry, more trains and buses than most rural locations and loadsa good caches?

Why have one mega-event - when you could have three - one for everybody in the South / South West / South East, another for the Midlands and Wales (anything north of Milton Keynes and South of Manchester), and a third for everybody north of that.

And if they were all spaced out date wise, the die-hards could then get 3 in, and there'd be a better chance of getting the numbers up at 3 more "local" events......

With all respect to the Scots cachers, it should be located for the convenience of the largest number of cachers, rather than in an attempt to accomodate everybody. I agree that strong communication links with Europe are a must, as we will need to get as many people along as possible to hit our mega event numbers. I would incline to the Leicestershire/ Nottinghamshire/ Derbyshire area.

However, I do have some experience of organising large events and I also have some contacts for possible venues. I will volunteer to be on the committee. BTW, English weather is always FOUL after middle of August, this year being an exception. If you want nice weather, aim for June.

Why have one mega-event - when you could have three - one for everybody in the South / South West / South East, another for the Midlands and Wales (anything north of Milton Keynes and South of Manchester), and a third for everybody north of that.

And if they were all spaced out date wise, the die-hards could then get 3 in, and there'd be a better chance of getting the numbers up at 3 more "local" events......

That's not a bad idea, 3 or 4 mega events on the same day spread over the UK, it solves the 'where' problem........a nightmare to organise though confused-smiley-17425.gif

Nice idea but I'm not sure you could get 500 Cachers to each of the three local events, and which event would people traveling from abroad attend?

Why not use a bit of lateral thinking.....to claim it as a mega event 500 cachers have to attend and sign the log book - so have some REALLY imprecise co-ords (N 52 degrees, W 1 degree for example), a highly mobile log book (anybody got a helicopter we could borrow?), and clusters of cachers meeting within those co-ords.

Nice idea but I'm not sure you could get 500 Cachers to each of the three local events, and which event would people traveling from abroad attend?

They could go to what ever event was the cheapest to get to!

I think if the events were split it should still be classed as 1 event! So if there were 5 locations 100 people at each location makes it a Mega Event :rolleyes:

I'm happy to get involved with the organisation - I organise events (NOT on this scale!) for work...

As one of the regular geo - campers, I can confirm that there are virtually no (i didn't say none!) camping events in July or August, and traditionally June is the busiest month.

Cache density is important, and so are things like facilities on site. We have stayed in some beautiful camp sites and some dreadful ones!!

Another thing to consider is cost... yes - there are lovely campsites out there - but watch their prices - some charge up to £20 a night and it puts people off coming.

Some cachers demand to be entertained while at events... I did bits and bobs for my camping event last year and thought it was reasonably well organised... however sme people did nothing but moan.

You'll always get perpetual moaners and you cannot please everyone!!

In a nutshell... I'm happy to help out, happy to set caches if nearby and happy to do one of my usual kid's activities to keep the darlings entertained for a few hours!

They could go to what ever event was the cheapest to get to!

I think if the events were split it should still be classed as 1 event! So if there were 5 locations 100 people at each location makes it a Mega Event :rolleyes:

Like that idea. :unsure:

Thanks to HH for pointing out the suitable school dates, early August sounds good - and I assume away from English bank holidays when it may be too busy on the roads (again we dont get them in Scotland).

Near an airport is a good option.

Midlands is a good option.

London easy to fly to, or even Bournemouth if your wanting the south coast?

Kendal in August - a non starter I think just because of it being an extremely popular tourist trap.

But who is actually going to host it will be the decider I think! we can't ever suit everyone.

However, decided well in advance would be best so cheap flights/holidays can be booked.

Somewhere where 500 people can meet - with an undercover option in the event of bad weather? - Large tents/canopy?

OK will get off my soapbox now!

I aim on attending if transport is possible.

Just a suggestion.

Would you be willing / able to make an addition to the published logs for caches once the details are worked out ??

the reason for asking is that an event listed as mega events apparently show up on searches and in notification emails over much larger distances etc than normal events so without mega status this event will only be notified to people nearby not the larger audience it deserves.

Would you be willing / able to make an addition to the published logs for caches once the details are worked out ??

markandlynn is the above a question to Lactodorum?

And can I assume from your post that you're willing to take the lead with the Mega Event? happy-smiley-8814.gif

I'm happy to get involved with the organisation - I organise events (NOT on this scale!) for work...

As one of the regular geo - campers, I can confirm that there are virtually no (i didn't say none!) camping events in July or August, and traditionally June is the busiest month.

Cache density is important, and so are things like facilities on site. We have stayed in some beautiful camp sites and some dreadful ones!!

Another thing to consider is cost... yes - there are lovely campsites out there - but watch their prices - some charge up to £20 a night and it puts people off coming.

Some cachers demand to be entertained while at events... I did bits and bobs for my camping event last year and thought it was reasonably well organised... however sme people did nothing but moan.

You'll always get perpetual moaners and you cannot please everyone!!

In a nutshell... I'm happy to help out, happy to set caches if nearby and happy to do one of my usual kid's activities to keep the darlings entertained for a few hours!

If HazelS is interested, a Peak District location might be a great idea.

I would be willing to help organise, but I've not been a geo-camper as such! A group of us with various skills could get this off the ground. Of course - the Peak doesn't do motorways :rolleyes: but we are equidistant from the M6, M1, M62 and A50. And Manchester and East Midlands Airports are there too.

There are plenty of location options. You won't be able to please everyone of course.

Anyone from the Manchester - Sheffield - Stoke - Derby quadrant up for this?

The mega event I attended was very well organised and coped with a large number of people well. Like most mega events this was not the first time they had put on such an event but rather an annual event which had grown over time. I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to do one from scratch though.

Their set up was as such:

Reception area with envelopes addressed to each caching team containing name badges, general info and your ordered event geocoins.

TB/Cache listings area: Manned check in/out of all TBs along side tressle tables with hundreds of photocopies of lots of local listings

Refreshments area: Indoor bar/cafe type set up.

Outside there were loads of picnic type benches set up in rows, each persons name badge had a colour and number on it, you had to go round chatting to people and collect all the number/colour combos to get some coords for a cache.

This was run by a scouting group at their scout camp

It was in Holland and out of about 300 logged visits I think about 30 teams came from abroad, so I would expect we would get a few european attendees

Edited by Cryptik Souls Crew

markandlynn is the above a question to Lactodorum?

I'll assume so and try and answer.

I'd be delighted to add/amend published logs or whatever as the event evolves. The one thing I can't do is to turn it from an Event to a Mega Event, only Groundspeak can do that. I'll be happy to liaise with them as necessary though. I'd also intend coming along to the event if it gets off the ground.

Wherever you choose as a location it would be great if there was a WiFi Internet connection available, I might even be able to do some "live" reviewing!! :rolleyes:

This sounds like a cracking idea. If it is going to be in August you will have to avoid the tourist hot spots like Kendal etc. A central location is a must and the Peak District would be fantastic.

The trick will be locating somewhere with the space, not only for the camping, but the event area itself. Buildings or marquees will be needed for catering, control/check-in, TB swaps etc. Also vendors will want an area to set up. Somewhere like regional showgrounds have all these facilities but will cost. Otherwise it is places like Billing Aquadrome that are set up to handle camping rallies.

Ee! I'm reet excited!

Oops, edited for premature submission! :rolleyes:

I think we should aim for a mega event - and even if we fell a bit short we could build on it NEXT year as CSC said. Organic growth is nice.

We would need a really good "concept" not just a campsite.

Edited by Dizzley

With all respect to the Scots cachers, it should be located for the convenience of the largest number of cachers, rather than in an attempt to accomodate everybody. I agree that strong communication links with Europe are a must, as we will need to get as many people along as possible to hit our mega event numbers. I would incline to the Leicestershire/ Nottinghamshire/ Derbyshire area.

The above statement contradicts itself. Don't try to attempt to accommodate everyone, but we must try to accommodate Europe. I thought the suggestion was for a UK Mega Event, last time I checked Scotland was still part of the UK? I do not like our SNP government, but when you constantly come up against bigoted statements all the time, you do wonder if they have got the right idea? :rolleyes::unsure:

I love to meet other people from other countries during events, but if we are going to try and accommodate other Europeans over the people of our own Islands, then perhaps we should be thinking of the location being more Central Europe??

Thanks to HH for pointing out the suitable school dates, early August sounds good - and I assume away from English bank holidays when it may be too busy on the roads (again we dont get them in Scotland).

Going by Alibags comments it doesn't look as though we should worry about the Scottish availability. As long as we can attract our European neighbours to make up the numbers, who cares if the Jocks can make it or not?? :unsure::unsure::ph34r:

I think it may be best that I left this thread to carry on, without any more input from myself. I think the concept is a good one. But whoever takes up the reigns please remember that there is more to the UK than just England.

Going by Alibags comments it doesn't look as though we should worry about the Scottish availability. As long as we can attract our European neighbours to make up the numbers, who cares if the Jocks can make it or not?? :rolleyes::unsure::ph34r:

I think it may be best that I left this thread to carry on, without any more input from myself. I think the concept is a good one. But whoever takes up the reigns please remember that there is more to the UK than just England.

Much respect there Haggis Hunter. (Irony or not...)

Personally, I'd think that a home-grown Scottish event with mega event ambitions would be a great idea. I relish my next visit to the Highlands.

-Let's all take a chill pill like HH.

I'm from a little south of Derby (Ashby de la Zouch) and would be glad to help out at a Peak District event (can't take the lead though). Where ever you hold it some are going to have a long journey. Remember not everyone in England is from London, Birmingham or Manchester and I suspect Cornish Gecachers would have almost as long a journey as those from the Scottish cities, I think it is a good compromise. As well as the other transport links mentioned Luton airport would be possible as well, it has good rail links to Derby / Sheffield and then onto lines over the Peak District. Anyone have any better ideas?

OK I am up for it !!!

So how does anyone fancy Harrogate.....

10 mins from A1.....A1 linked to M1......

30 mins from Leeds

Leeds / Bradford Airport 20 miles away !

As you know I have been involved now with the North Yorkshire Meet for 4 years which I believe is the largest DAY event at present in England which does not include camping etc etc

So have a bit of experiance with organising....

BUT I NEED HELP !

Not only do we need a general committee members but we also need all the cachers in Britain with contacts and their individal skills..

e.g. in order to keep costs down we need people with PA systems to borrow for the event, marquees, food wagons etc etc

So...

Keep the thread going and those interested keep me informed....