Good Non-micro...

I think non micros are more family fun for the younger crowd. They like to rummage through the caches for trade items. But to answer the real question. I think the area makes a big difference.

You know, I used to accept these statements as a matter of fact, but after a little thought, I wonder just how much the parents actually have to do with it. Children are very responsive to what their parents are excited about.

If instead of the parents saying "Oh, LOOK, Susie... look at all the cool stuff in there!! What do you want to trade?" , they'd say, "Oh, LOOK, Johnny!!! Look at how SMALL that nano container is that we found!! Aren't we GREAT geocachers?" , the child's perception might be totally different.

The fact that micro's may/may not be a bad idea is not really the topic here ..... don't make it so one of our moderators locks this thread...

Done.

:ph34r: Thanks KBI :D

Much Appreciated...Now, to go over to that thread and catch-up on that conversation.

Later,

Archer

PS...A good Non-micro in this area during this time of year has to be winter-friendly...though it certainly is not required for me to try to find it...just gotta wear layers to stay warm :ph34r:

c3026789-ccf1-41d0-a86f-794875a75b4e.jpg

Sorry for being off-topic - he's finding a micro in a lamppost. I

HAH!!! So, THAT is how those things are hidden!! I've been trying for MONTHS for a bunch of those in our area. Geeze... I feel so stupid now to have missed them!! I guess I'll just have to go out tomorrow and bag a few dozen of 'em! Thanks for the tip! :ph34r:

list]

[*]It gets me off the couch.

[*]It gets me outside.

[*]If alone, I get a chance to enjoy the scenery, let my thoughts wander and/or listen to my iPod for a while.

[*]If not alone, I get to enjoy the company of whomever I might be caching with that day.

[*]I get to play with my GPS.

[*]I get to be in on a cool secret.

[*]I get to write about my adventures.

[*]I get to read about other peoples’ adventures.

[*]It frequently takes me to interesting places.

[*]It frequently challenges my ability to solve unexpected problems.

[*]It frequently challenges my ability to solve clever puzzles.

[*]It frequently challenges my ability to crack clever camouflage.

[*]It frequently challenges my ability to detect and question my own assumptions.

[*]It frequently provides me with completely unexpected adventures.

[*]It frequently burns calories.

[*]It frequently makes me laugh.

[*]It frequently surprises me – I never know exactly what to expect.

I normally don’t care what size cache I’m looking for. Bigger containers have more room for junk in them, but I don’t hunt caches for the tennis balls or the key chains. Bigger logs have more room for people to write, but I generally prefer to read the online logs.

Looks like a Sticky to me!

The only problem with that narrow thought is that it still leaves the geocaching world full of embarrassing ill concieved trash. Trash that I might choose to not download and hunt, but trash nonetheless.

I think you need to come to our area for some good micros. We're probably talking about apples and oranges in this thread, and calling them both micros. I suspect that some of you have no idea what the rest of us mean when we're talking about "good" micros.

Team Cotati's opinion seems to be "the only "good" micro is a dead micro. About all I can say to that is, "Please put on a shirt" You can skip my micros, but I can't skip your avatar. :ph34r:

TIMEOUT!!!

The fact that micro's may/may not be a bad idea is not really the topic here...let's get back to talking about what makes good non-micro caches. We all understand there are issues regarding the micro subject.

As my mother always said...

Don't make me turn this vehicle around!!!

I'm busting a gut here, ArcherDragoon!! Too funny!!!

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who "cache" and whine about caches.

Find another hobby.

I have to agree with you 99%! The other 1% I reserve for those lame ammo boxes covered by a pile of sticks or rocks. :ph34r:

All seriousness aside, though, I must say that there is such a thing as a lame micro, too. I've never found one covered by a pile of sticks or rocks (or have I? hmmmm?!?) but I did find one under a lamppost skirt once. No... twice. Wait... I think I've found a few dozen of them. But anyway, I digress. Let's see, where were we? Oh yeah! Finding another hobby. Cashing might be good. I think its also referred to as coin collecting.

Same thing that makes a good micro cache. ---LOCATION----

I agree! LOCATION! LOCATION! LOCATION! What is in them does not interest me, other than a pencil and paper. But that is just me

OK, let me ask you this: Is a bad location just as good as a good location, as long as there is a location?

Same thing that makes a good micro cache. ---LOCATION----

I agree! LOCATION! LOCATION! LOCATION! What is in them does not interest me, other than a pencil and paper. But that is just me

OK, let me ask you this: Is a bad location just as good as a good location, as long as there is a location?

Oh, No! Next we'll be arguing about what makes a "good" location. Of if there is a unversially accepted "good" location. B):ph34r::ph34r:

On a light note - every cache has a LOCATION, but only 3 stage multi's have a LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. So, only multi's are a "good non-micro"? B):D:D

HAH!!! So, THAT is how those things are hidden!! I've been trying for MONTHS for a bunch of those in our area. Geeze... I feel so stupid now to have missed them!! I guess I'll just have to go out tomorrow and bag a few dozen of 'em! Thanks for the tip! :)
That kind of goes back to my 'a good cache is one that I can find' comment because I once DNFd a LPM twice. It wasn't before I knew about them, either, I had found hundreds of them previously. The coords were really good and I actually checked under the cover on both occasions. Beats me how I missed it.
What makes a good non-micro???
A good non-micro is any cache that isn't covered with thirteen broken sticks for cammo.

When I hunt for a cashe I usually go to the area and get as close as I can with the GPS. I then just stand there and turn around and look for something that doesn't look right. Usually it is a pile of sticks looking strange. Usually all stacked running the same way.

A few weeks ago I was hunting one and did the same thing. It was in a beautiful area along a river. I stood where the numbers zeroed out and looked around. There it was, easy as heck. A pile of sticks that looked like tinder for a campfire. I moved them aside and no cashe. I thought that was odd so I looked a bit more and there was another one back under a small pine. I checked there and no cashe.

What the person that placed the cashe had done is put these dummy hides out for fools like me that look for the easy stuff. I finally found the cashe down by a small spring, well hidden. That was a fun cashe.

You know, I used to accept these statements as a matter of fact, but after a little thought, I wonder just how much the parents actually have to do with it. Children are very responsive to what their parents are excited about.

If instead of the parents saying "Oh, LOOK, Susie... look at all the cool stuff in there!! What do you want to trade?" , they'd say, "Oh, LOOK, Johnny!!! Look at how SMALL that nano container is that we found!! Aren't we GREAT geocachers?" , the child's perception might be totally different.

I have to agree. As a mom of three small ones (9,7,and 6), I will admit they enjoy the swag, but we have had just as much fun looking for cleverly hid containers too (of all sizes). Maybe my kids are unusual, and maybe I'm just lucky, but I find that my kids tend to leave their swag without taking any. They will only take an item if it's really interesting to them, but say they always want to leave something. I do find that they get a little upset if the cache is too small for them to leave an item. They really like the idea that another kid might find and enjoy what they've left behind. They also really enjoyed hiding our caches and the idea that some are micros and well camoed. It was fun for them to help us look for good hiding spots and will often comment when they see a good area to hide something (even when we're not out caching). I think alot of it is due to the level of excitement that my husband and I have shown towards geocaching in general.

HAH!!! So, THAT is how those things are hidden!! I've been trying for MONTHS for a bunch of those in our area. Geeze... I feel so stupid now to have missed them!! I guess I'll just have to go out tomorrow and bag a few dozen of 'em! Thanks for the tip! :(
That kind of goes back to my 'a good cache is one that I can find' comment because I once DNFd a LPM twice. It wasn't before I knew about them, either, I had found hundreds of them previously. The coords were really good and I actually checked under the cover on both occasions. Beats me how I missed it.

First, I want to say each micro I have enjoyed was for its own, various reasons. Some are location, others are clever stories associated with it, while yet others have a super cool container. All of them are just different forms of (a concept mentioned earlier in this thread) entertainment value. I just like seeing original stuff.

Secondly, since we're talking about original stuff...HOW DID THAT GUY IN THE PICTURE GET HIS CAR DOOR OPEN?! He must have backed into that spot for the photo.

:D

I think non micros are more family fun for the younger crowd. They like to rummage through the caches for trade items. But to answer the real question. I think the area makes a big difference.

Not my experience. I have no problem with micros per se. I would take my niece and nephew caching when I visited them (age 4 and 6 at the time) and their eyes would light up when we found a regular sized cache. They would excitedly paw through the cache as if they found a real treasure. They always wanted to do one more.

The first time we found a micro the look on their face was one of obvious disappointment. I tried to explain to them that the fun was in the hunt, but they just weren't buying it. After the second micro they just wanted to go home.

Not my experience. I have no problem with micros per se. I would take my niece and nephew caching when I visited them (age 4 and 6 at the time) and their eyes would light up when we found a regular sized cache. They would excitedly paw through the cache as if they found a real treasure. They always wanted to do one more.

The first time we found a micro the look on their face was one of obvious disappointment. I tried to explain to them that the fun was in the hunt, but they just weren't buying it. After the second micro they just wanted to go home.

Kids can't be conned! :( What fun is a treasure hunt without any treasure?

I once DNFd a LPM twice. It wasn't before I knew about them, either, I had found hundreds of them previously. The coords were really good and I actually checked under the cover on both occasions. Beats me how I missed it.

Yup. Me too. In my case, the container was nano and magnetically stuck to the underside of the skirt. I lifted it, said "Nope... nothing there. Must be more clever than that" and proceeded to DNF... twice. I'll bet I drove past that spot a half-dozen or more times before I finally decided to give it one more try. It was a good non-micro... it was a good nano (pico, blinky... whatever your local term is).

In general though, the world of geocaching would be a much more enjoyable place if micros just did not exist.

For YOU.

And the good news is... it CAN be!!! All you have to do is filter them out.. and they're gone!!!

Huzzah!

Now if they could just invent a good forum filter they'd really be gone.

Who told 'em it was a treasure hunt?

Deep Thoughts

By Jack Handey

One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going

to take my nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old

burned-out warehouse. "Oh no," I said, "Disneyland burned down."

He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a

pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland,

but it was getting pretty late.

Deep Thoughts

By Jack Handey

One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going

to take my nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old

burned-out warehouse. "Oh no," I said, "Disneyland burned down."

He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a

pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland,

but it was getting pretty late.

Dude... I'm busting a gut here!!! That's too funny!

BTW... I was very surprised to learn that Jack Handey is a real person!!

Didn't ya hear about it?! It's all over the news these days.... :D

Yeah, I know. And I've been railing against that for some time now. It is NOT a treasure hunt. Not unless you consider the swag that I've seen to be treasures, and if that's the case, get the heck over to a Salvation Army or Goodwill store, because they're selling the castle for a song!

Kids can't be conned! :D What fun is a treasure hunt without any treasure?

Didn't ya hear about it?! It's all over the news these days.... :(

Yeah, I know. And I've been railing against that for some time now. It is NOT a treasure hunt. Not unless you consider the swag that I've seen to be treasures, and if that's the case, get the heck over to a Salvation Army or Goodwill store, because they're selling the castle for a song!

Most kids/adults would find something they'd like in a "Good Non-micro." :)

Most kids/adults would find something they'd like in a "Good Non-micro." :(

Sure... within the first week or two of it being placed. It goes downhill quickly from there, though. At least, in our area. Your mileage may differ.

I've noticed the the toys tend to remain for the long haul. I think most parents tell their kids to trade evenly. The kids that has parents that didn't do that grow up and take more than they give.

Moderators: Go ahead and close this thread…I got out of it what I wanted…as I believe others have as well.

Thanks,

ArcherDragoon

Before it gets closed (yeah!! Maybe I'll get the Last Word in! Yippeee!)

I just took a second to go back and re-read the original posting instead of simply looking at the thread's subject. I think the subject lead many of us astray. I think the key question here was:

"Anyone else find non-micros boring?"

My answer to that question is: In many cases... yes. In a good many cases, I've found regulars to be MUCH more boring than many of the smalls or micros that I've found. The hiding/camo, by nature, tends to be very much the same as the last hundred I've found.

That said, I've also found many smalls and micros that showed zero creativity in cammo/hiding. My favorite non-micros are those that (as has been said many times here) brought me to some place beautiful. My favorite micros generally have made me laugh, or slap my forehead, or feel very clever for finding.

As with people, diversity makes things better.

Moderators: Go ahead and close this thread…I got out of it what I wanted…as I believe others have as well.

Thanks,

ArcherDragoon

Before it gets closed (yeah!! Maybe I'll get the Last Word in! Yippeee!)

I just took a second to go back and re-read the original posting instead of simply looking at the thread's subject. I think the subject lead many of us astray. I think the key question here was:

"Anyone else find non-micros boring?"

My answer to that question is: In many cases... yes. In a good many cases, I've found regulars to be MUCH more boring than many of the smalls or micros that I've found. The hiding/camo, by nature, tends to be very much the same as the last hundred I've found.

That said, I've also found many smalls and micros that showed zero creativity in cammo/hiding. My favorite non-micros are those that (as has been said many times here) brought me to some place beautiful. My favorite micros generally have made me laugh, or slap my forehead, or feel very clever for finding.

As with people, diversity makes things better.

Sorry, but no...the topic discussed for the most part was correct...I even accepted the broader discussion of waht makes a good cache (regardless of size)...but I was tired of seeing the negative threads and wanted something a little positive. By stating it the way it was...for the most part kept the posts mainly positive.

I for one, don't find micros boring...sure, I find (maybe even hide ;) ) boring caches...but size has nothing to do with that.