Good Non-micro...

Saw the "Boring Micro" thread and read a post asking why no one had started a thread asking...

"Anyone else find non-micros boring" and suggested there should be one...well, I could not bring myself to post the exact wording *even the semi-quote here is altered ( :D mainly to protect the identity of those involved :( )*

...thus I figured I might as well start a dicussion on what makes a good non-micro...

So, here it is...ask and you shall receive...

Discuss, have fun and be merry...

What makes a good non-micro???

Same thing that makes a good micro cache. ---LOCATION----

If you really think about it, location is beside the point. Entertainment value is what it is all about, and I believe that is true for every one of us. Is location the only attribute of a cache that can provide you with entertainment? I doubt it. If that's true, then you need to stop limiting yourself and get out and find some clever smalls and micros.

One example:

We used to have a (in)famous small cache around here called "Pull My Finger!" that was hidden right next to a paved trail in a sports park. Pretty boring location. There was a hollow tree next to the trail. You had to stand on a section of cut log to reach the hole in the tree, and reach up. When you did, your hand touched something soft and wiggly. If you dared, you took ahold and pulled down... and saw a hand and an arm, and inside of the arm, a small jar. The arm was attached to the tree by a bungee cord (somehow without screws or bolts). Unfortunately, it was so close to the path that it was muggled and destroyed several times and the owner eventually archived it.

Location had NOTHING to do with the entertainment value of that cache, yet it was a locally famous cache for years. And I could give many other examples.

Location, while it no doubt has easy entertainment value, is far from the only means of entertainment, and entertainment is what we all are looking for.

I just can't train myself to look at caches as either Micro or Non-micro as I'm caching. To me they're all caches, and I appreciate them all.

Some are more fun than others, some are more tricky than others, some are more clever than others... but I don't find that the size of the container is a determining factor.

I also don't feel that every cache HAS to entertain me, nor that if it fails to do so then it's obviously not worthy of anyone else's time to bother with it.

So I partially agree with webscouter, in that the things that make a good non-micro are the same things that make a good micro. But I also agree with knowschad that location isn't the only thing.

If I had to narrow it down and list the MAIN thing that makes a good cache of any size... I'd say it was the attitude of the finder.

<edit - had to take a cleaver to my spedding>

Edited by Mushtang
Location, Location, Location.

Bring me somewhere I would find interesting even if I find the cache to be missing. Something Historical, interesting, little known, has a story, scenic, forgotten - something. Share a corner of your world with me.

Exactly! Let me add 3 more locations to that! :D Location, Location, Location, Location, Location and Location! :( Edited by TrailGators

Bring me somewhere I would find interesting even if I find the cache to be missing. Something Historical, interesting, little known, has a story, scenic, forgotten - something. Share a corner of your world with me.

Exactly! Let me add 3 more locations to that! :D Location, Location, Location, Location, Location and Location! :(

Until a recent trip to the Black Hills, I would have totally disagreed with this type of response. But my experience there was almost completely one of easy ammo box finds after a lovely and/or challenging hike through nature, and I very much enjoyed every one of them. It would have been very easy for me to join the "location location location" and "always give me an ammo box" side of things, but I have to remember all of the entertaining small, micro, and even nano hides that I have found (and sometimes have enjoyed not finding!) Its about the experience. Are some of you saying that you ONLY enjoy one type of book, one genre of movie, one style of food...? Nawww.... come on, admit it... you've had your fun micros and your boring ammo boxes.

Just don't use a micro to do it with.

Unless, of course, that you want to. Or that's the only size that will fit the location.

Entertainment value is what it is all about, and I believe that is true for every one of us.

Well said.

I'd expand it a bit further to say what makes any cache good is when it entertains you enough to recommend to a friend knowing they're likely to not log it online. In other words, the cache's value is in the doing and not what you get online; not the smilie, not another county or DeLorme page checked off, or some other abstract reason to go for it.

When the owner is thinking along the lines of the physical entertainment value and not the other it seems as though the cache is better, IMHO. Too many get placed as excuses for a smilie or other such thing.

After hiking out to a cache, I like to sit and read all of the logs which can be rather interesting sometimes. But if the cache is a micro, all there is is a logsheet with just names and no comments.

A good non-micro would have a large logbook filled up with a paragraph or just a few sentences from every finder about the hike there, or the weather at the time, or anything really. Ive seen pictures drawn that can be interesting.

But nowadays mostly everyone just signs in, and doesnt write much even if there is a big logbook (and even if it is a fairly long hike out to the cache). So, I guess that part really doesn't matter anymore.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

The best non-micro ... for me size doesn't matter. It's the attitude of the "hider" that I find important. If I feel that the hider has gone to some effort to hide the cache, or scout out a location, then I'm a happy cacher.

Chuck a box in hole and pile some slates in front of it, or stash it under a pile of twigs. Worse ... just chuck it in a bush. Unless there has been something else memorable to get me to that spot that the hider has thought about and planned, then it's not a good cache to me. It's just a cache, and greatful though I am, it's not going to hit my favourites list.

Cust.

I'm curious about those that think all geocaches have to bring you to a great location for them to be good. Just to try and understand, let me ask a question, and anyone that answered the OP with "Location" can answer to help me.

Is the purpose of this game, for you, to bring you to cool locations and that's it? Or is the purpose of the game to use your GPSr to bring you to hidden containers that relatively few people know about so you can sign the log?

Hey,

Great conversation and points a view everyone!!! See, doesn't it feel better just to discuss what we all think makes great caches??? :unsure: Not only has everyone stated what makes caches great in our own adventures...I think there has been plenty said already that would help make all caches (not just micros) better.

I, personally, like the adventure/entertainment value of the cache...location does have input on this, but it is not the only thing that makes a great cache. Many times it is thepeople you are with, the caches you do after a good one, the caches you do before a good one and expecially the caches you DNF. Some of my best stories and most enjoyable adventures deal with caches I DNF'ed before I was able to claim the find.

For me...I will try to search out all sizes of caches...especially the unknown/unlisted :rolleyes: sizes...gotta admit, when I find one of those and get it off my list, it feels really good...especially in areas that can handle all sorts of sizes of caches!!!

Let's keep up the great conversation folks...discuss, have fun and be merry!!!

Later,

ArcherDragoon

I'm curious about those that think all geocaches have to bring you to a great location for them to be good. Just to try and understand, let me ask a question, and anyone that answered the OP with "Location" can answer to help me.

Is the purpose of this game, for you, to bring you to cool locations and that's it? Or is the purpose of the game to use your GPSr to bring you to hidden containers that relatively few people know about so you can sign the log?

Cool locations to find hidden containers. Nothing wrong with getting both.

I would have to say both...there is something appealing about learning about places I have never been or even knew about...but I also find it exciting to try and find containers hidden somewhere that very few people around me know about or at the very least now where they are. My relatives still have a hard time believing that I spend my free time looking for plastic and toys in the woods.

At times, it is only about the adventure I will have and less about learning something... :rolleyes:

Edited by ArcherDragoon

I also don't feel that every cache HAS to entertain me, nor that if it fails to do so then it's obviously not worthy of anyone else's time to bother with it.

I agree...but usually becuase I am the one entertaining others...besides, I am easily entertained...give me string I am will be busy for hours!!!

Give me a gps, couple million dollars and unlimted cache coordinates and you will never see me again!!! :rolleyes:

A cache is a cache and not matter the size, description or location I am going to try and find it...emphasis on try...

Edited by ArcherDragoon
Let's keep up the great conversation folks...discuss, have fun and be merry!!!
No problem, and my name's not Merry.

('Clearance Clarence' 'Roger Roger' 'What's our vector victor?' 'Surely you can't be serious?' 'I am, and my name's not Shirley' - from "Airplane")

Edited by meralgia

For me, the purpose is to get me off the couch.

Toward that end, I basically enjoy every cache that I can locate. I big driver of that enjoyment is being 'in the know' when people pass by teh geocaches without a clue to their existence.

It's true that I like to be taken to 'cool locations', but I pretty darn flexible as to what a cool location is.

I suppose you could write "If I wanted to go to an historic, interesting, little known, has a story, scenic, forgotten location I'd be Waymarking." :rolleyes:

There is no problem with putting a cache somewhere where you have the bonus of seeing a interesting place. Thinks of it as a bonus smiley - only in this case a smiley on your face instead on a little yellow circle. Kinda like this guy:

c3026789-ccf1-41d0-a86f-794875a75b4e.jpg

Sorry for being off-topic - he's finding a micro in a lamppost. I was actually going to post this in the thread on adding a little history to spice up the cache. That cache page describes the history of the location where the cache was hidden - former site of a barn owned by turn-of-the-century heavyweight champion Jim Jeffries. After he retired from boxing he trained other boxers and held exhibition fights in this barn. After his death, the city of Burbank was growing and developers bought the land. The barn itself was bought by Walter Knott and moved to his Knott's Berry Farm where it still stands. Anyway, that description probably doesn't change the fact that its just a micro in a lamppost in the parking lot of a supermarket. And that didn't change the fact that finding the cache was worth a physical smiley to Aerospacecase.

For me, the purpose is to get me off the couch.

Toward that end, I basically enjoy every cache that I can locate. I big driver of that enjoyment is being 'in the know' when people pass by teh geocaches without a clue to their existence.

It's true that I like to be taken to 'cool locations', but I pretty darn flexible as to what a cool location is.

That pretty well sums up my feelings, although in my case it keeps me off the golf course not the couch. Caching is much cheaper! :rolleyes:

...What makes a good non-micro???

The same things that make a good micro. The big difference being that with a regular cache you get the bonus of swag and a log big enough to actually sign, that you will never really have with a micro.

That there is a cache to find is the cake. That the cache itself isn't a micro is icing on the cake.

Saw the "Boring Micro" thread and read a post asking why no one had started a thread asking...

"Anyone else find non-micros boring" and suggested there should be one...well, I could not bring myself to post the exact wording *even the semi-quote here is altered ( :unsure: mainly to protect the identity of those involved :rolleyes: )*

...thus I figured I might as well start a dicussion on what makes a good non-micro...

The fact that it's a non micro

I'll agree with those who say that the same things make for good caches... micro or otherwise. The thing I find most important in any good hide is inspiration. That could be a cache inspired by an awesome location, a cache inspired by a clever hide or good camo, or a cache inspired by an interesting container. I don't believe that all micro's are uninspired caches, and there are plenty of uninspired regular and large caches out there too.

As I've said before, variety is the spice of life (and caching!). The last thing I want is a string of caches in the exact same container all hidden in the exact same way. So bring on your micro's, your nano's, your pill bottles, your tupperware and your ammo cans... and mix it up!

DCC

"Anyone else find non-micros boring" and suggested there should be one...well, I could not bring myself to post the exact wording *even the semi-quote here is altered ( :unsure: mainly to protect the identity of those involved :rolleyes: )*

The fact that it's a non micro

What things make a good hardcover? The same things that make a good paperback. I like reading any enjoyable book. Books on tape are good too.

What things make a good CD? The same things that make a good LP. I like many kinds of recorded music whether it comes via a laser or a needle. MP3s are pretty cool as well.

What things make a good cup of coffee at a campground? The same things that make a good cup of coffee at a sidewalk cafe. I like a good cup of coffee anywhere – even indoors.

What things make a good non-micro? The same things that make a good micro. Good Virtuals, good Unknowns and even good DNFs are fun, too.

If I had to narrow it down and list the MAIN thing that makes a good cache of any size... I'd say it was the attitude of the finder.

Well said.

One's realistic expectation – one's rational understanding of where caches come from – is critical.

For me, the things that make any cache good in particular are the same things that make this hobby good in general.

What makes caching "good" for KBI?

• It gets me off the couch.
  • It gets me outside.
  • If alone, I get a chance to enjoy the scenery, let my thoughts wander and/or listen to my iPod for a while.
  • If not alone, I get to enjoy the company of whomever I might be caching with that day.
  • I get to play with my GPS.
  • I get to be in on a cool secret.
  • I get to write about my adventures.
  • I get to read about other peoples’ adventures.
  • It frequently takes me to interesting places.
  • It frequently challenges my ability to solve unexpected problems.
  • It frequently challenges my ability to solve clever puzzles.
  • It frequently challenges my ability to crack clever camouflage.
  • It frequently challenges my ability to detect and question my own assumptions.
  • It frequently provides me with completely unexpected adventures.
  • It frequently burns calories.
  • It frequently makes me laugh.
  • It frequently surprises me – I never know exactly what to expect.

I normally don’t care what size cache I’m looking for. Bigger containers have more room for junk in them, but I don’t hunt caches for the tennis balls or the key chains. Bigger logs have more room for people to write, but I generally prefer to read the online logs.

The only thing cache size does for me is it adds to the challenge if I don’t know what size container I’m looking for. This happens whenever the owner shows the size as "unknown" and/or whenever I intentionally ignore the size indicator in order to increase the challenge.

I therefore also agree with Mushtang and Webscouter: For me, the things that make a good non-micro are the very same things that make a good micro. ANY geocache can be either entertaining or underwhelming ... regardless of its size.

... What makes caching "good" for KBI?
  • It gets me off the couch.
  • It gets me outside.
  • If alone, I get a chance to enjoy the scenery, let my thoughts wander and/or listen to my iPod for a while.
  • If not alone, I get to enjoy the company of whomever I might be caching with that day.
  • I get to play with my GPS.
  • I get to be in on a cool secret.
  • I get to write about my adventures.
  • I get to read about other peoples’ adventures.
  • It frequently takes me to interesting places.
  • It frequently challenges my ability to solve unexpected problems.
  • It frequently challenges my ability to solve clever puzzles.
  • It frequently challenges my ability to crack clever camouflage.
  • It frequently challenges my ability to detect and question my own assumptions.
  • It frequently provides me with completely unexpected adventures.
  • It frequently burns calories.
  • It frequently makes me laugh.
  • It frequently surprises me – I never know exactly what to expect.

Tell the truth, did you just bang out that list or have you been working on it for a while?

:unsure::rolleyes:

Great post. It's one of those that I wish that I had saved to drop into a thread, as needed.

Edited by sbell111

...What makes caching "good" for KBI?

[*]It gets me off the couch.

[*]It gets me outside.

[*]If alone, I get a chance to enjoy the scenery, let my thoughts wander and/or listen to my iPod for a while.

[*]If not alone, I get to enjoy the company of whomever I might be caching with that day.

[*]I get to play with my GPS.

[*]I get to be in on a cool secret.

[*]I get to write about my adventures.

[*]I get to read about other peoples’ adventures.

[*]It frequently takes me to interesting places.

[*]It frequently challenges my ability to solve unexpected problems.

[*]It frequently challenges my ability to solve clever puzzles.

[*]It frequently challenges my ability to crack clever camouflage.

[*]It frequently challenges my ability to detect and question my own assumptions.

[*]It frequently provides me with completely unexpected adventures.

[*]It frequently burns calories.

[*]It frequently makes me laugh.

[*]It frequently surprises me – I never know exactly what to expect....

Very nice.

Tell the truth, did you just bang out that list or have you been working on it for a while?

I dabble in "babble." Haven't you noticed? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I worked at it on and off for a couple hours today. Think a little, type a little, think a little, type a little ... there are so many things I enjoy about this hobby, and I didn't want to leave anything out.

Great post.

Thanks. :unsure:

It's one of those that I wish that I had saved to drop into a thread, as needed.

Please do help yourself.

Use it as your own. You won’t be plagiarizing; it is merely a comprehensive list of the same things you and I and many others have said redundantly and repeatedly and redundantly.

Ditto.

If you really think about it, location is beside the point. Entertainment value is what it is all about, and I believe that is true for every one of us. Is location the only attribute of a cache that can provide you with entertainment? I doubt it. If that's true, then you need to stop limiting yourself and get out and find some clever smalls and micros.

I disagree, to a point. For some, the location IS the entertaining part. For me, I don't care how clever the camo is if it brings me somewhere intersting/beautiful/historical.

Entertainment value is what it is all about, and I believe that is true for every one of us.

Well said.

I'd expand it a bit further to say what makes any cache good is when it entertains you enough to recommend to a friend knowing they're likely to not log it online. In other words, the cache's value is in the doing and not what you get online; not the smilie, not another county or DeLorme page checked off, or some other abstract reason to go for it.

But can't the fact that you picked up a county or a DeLorme page be the entertainment in and of itself?

For me - the former. I don't care for finding a hidden container in front of Starbucks/Walmart, etc. just to find a hidden container. Others obviosuly do like that, just not my cup of tea. I'll take an ammo box under the pile of sticks in a great location anyday.

Ditto.

I disagree, to a point. For some, the location IS the entertaining part. For me, I don't care how clever the camo is if it brings me somewhere intersting/beautiful/historical.

Well said.

But can't the fact that you picked up a county or a DeLorme page be the entertainment in and of itself?

For me - the former. I don't care for finding a hidden container in front of Starbucks/Walmart, etc. just to find a hidden container. Others obviosuly do like that, just not my cup of tea. I'll take an ammo box under the pile of sticks in a great location anyday.

Right on!! And actually the location does not necessairly have to be that 'great', just so long as it is not embarrassing or a needle in a haystack aka a micro in a pile of rocks.

In general though, the world of geocaching would be a much more enjoyable place if micros just did not exist.

I'm not sure I totally agree with that. In general I agree that *most* micros and not well-thought out and are boring - but I've found some gems that aren't great hides but did bring me to cool spots when traveling.

But, I think this is going off-topic so......

I stick by my claim - LOCATION :rolleyes:

I'm not sure I totally agree with that. In general I agree that *most* micros and not well-thought out and are boring - but I've found some gems that aren't great hides but did bring me to cool spots when traveling.

But, I think this is going off-topic so......

I stick by my claim - LOCATION :rolleyes:

In general though, the world of geocaching would be a much more enjoyable place if micros just did not exist.

For YOU.

And the good news is... it CAN be!!! All you have to do is filter them out.. and they're gone!!!

Huzzah!

The only problem with that narrow thought is that it still leaves the geocaching world full of embarrassing ill concieved trash. Trash that I might choose to not download and hunt, but trash nonetheless.

Oh yeah, Huzzah! Wuff, wuff. :rolleyes::unsure::ph34r:

Edited by Team Cotati
For YOU.

And the good news is... it CAN be!!! All you have to do is filter them out.. and they're gone!!!

Huzzah!

The only problem with that narrow thought is that it still leaves the geocaching world full of embarrassing ill concieved trash. Trash that I might choose to not download and hunt, but trash nonetheless.

Oh yeah, Huzzah! Wuff, wuff. :rolleyes::unsure::ph34r:

Why are you working so hard to create a huge argument?

We all get that you don't like micros. I don't understand why you don't avoid them, but I don't really care what you do.

Move along.

Edited by sbell111
For YOU.

Huzzah!

Oh yeah, Huzzah! Wuff, wuff. :rolleyes::ph34r::unsure:

Why are you working so hard to create a huge argument? We all get that you don't like micros.

Move along.

Thank you for your kind and considerate advice. My response is however: No. :unsure:

For YOU.

Huzzah!

Oh yeah, Huzzah! Wuff, wuff. :rolleyes::ph34r::unsure:

Why are you working so hard to create a huge argument? We all get that you don't like micros.

Move along.

Thank you for your kind and considerate advice. My response is however: No. :unsure:

In that case, feel free to lay down on the floor, scream, kick and whine that micros exist.

Edited by sbell111

For YOU.

Huzzah!

Oh yeah, Huzzah! Wuff, wuff. :ph34r::unsure::unsure:

But YOU'RE the one that said the world would be more enjoyable if they didn't exist, and I was pointing out that you can have your wish. You didn't say that the world of geocaching would be a much more enjoyable place if embarrassing ill conceived trash didn't exist, did you?

Some people just can't be happy. If the site paid you $5 for every cache you found, you'd complain that it wasn't $10. :rolleyes:

For YOU.

Huzzah!

Oh yeah, Huzzah! Wuff, wuff. :rolleyes::unsure::unsure:

Move along.

Thank you for your kind and considerate advice. My response is however: No. :yikes:

In that case, go ahead and lay down on teh floor, scream and kick and whine that micros exist.

Thank you for your kind and considerate advice. My response is however: I'll think about it. :unsure::ph34r::ph34r:

Edited by Team Cotati

TIMEOUT!!!

The fact that micro's may/may not be a bad idea is not really the topic here...let's get back to talking about what makes good non-micro caches. We all understand there are issues regarding the micro subject.

As my mother always said...

Don't make me turn this vehicle around!!!

In this case...don't make it so one of our moderators locks this thread...the dicussion was going pretty good...

Edited by ArcherDragoon