mac compatible gps?

pink butterfly

does a mac compatible handheld gps exist?

Yes, I use Garmins with Both Mac's and PC's. Garmin also has a POI loader and a web updater for the Mac.

Magellans will also work with MacCaching and GPSBabel+.

Most of the map software is written for Windows so you might look into installing Windows on you Mac. That will also let you use GSAK and other Windows software. I have XP on this Macintosh and it will run ANY geosoft out there, and hook up to ANY GPSr.

I am also on a Mac. I use MacCaching and Cachemate. My current geocaching GPS is my Forerunner 301, which fits on my wrist. The waypoints load from my Mac to this without any problems. I am upgrading to a Legend HCX soon and it should be compatible with my Mac as well. I don't think that the City Navigator map program is Mac compatible, however.

I have a Mac as well (a new one!) but so far I have still been using GSAK on my office PC. I have not yet explored the options for Macs.

I'm getting ready to run a PQ so I have new data for my 3-day weekend. :rolleyes:

I do wish more companies would accept the fact that there are a LOT of Mac users out here and that's growing every day. Some statistics I saw showed a large number of people gave up on Vista and went to Apple's new Leopard OS.

Edited by PlantAKiss

I have a Mac as well (a new one!) but so far I have still been using GSAK on my office PC. I have not yet explored the options for Macs.

I'm getting ready to run a PQ so I have new data for my 3-day weekend. :ph34r:

I do wish more companies would accept the fact that there are a LOT of Mac users out here and that's growing every day. Some statistics I saw showed a large number of people gave up on Vista and went to Apple's new Leopard OS.

Seriously, check out MacCaching. It's built to look and feel a little like iTunes. Instead of playlists, you have cachelists. Works seamlessly with my GPS and my Palm. Love it! DH just got me a new iBook, so now I just sit on the couch planning my caching day! You can download and play with MacCaching for free, it costs $15 to register it.

I created a website for Mac-using Geocachers, http://chimbisimo.googlepages.com . I use a Magellan eXplorist 500 as my GPS. I've tried MacCaching, but I just don't like it - I have a review up on my site. I MUCH prefer GeoJournal http://www.geojournal.net

That's because you helped beta test it and wrote part of the documentation. :blink:

I've tried GeoJournal, but I prefer MacCaching -- and I have no ties to either one.

To anyone wanting to know which is best, download both and try them out and make your decision from there. They're both good pieces of software, but the best one is the one that you can get the most use out of with your particular needs.

:D

Looks like you can also convert those pesky Windows maps over to a Mac/OSX.

I did that on a PC with no DVD writer, and my thumb drive is only 1GB. The final file was just over 1GB so I'll have to get a bigger thumb drive! :D

Not to mention that those "1GB" thumb drives, contain only 900+ MB of actual space, due to a marketing ploy that takes advantage of, to a lesser degree, formatting space, and to a larger degree, two different definitions of what constitutes a gigabyte. Those marketing geniuses base the "1GB" claim based on 1000MB = 1GB; 1000 KB = 1MB, and 1000Byets in a KB, when in reality, all those 1000's should be 1024.

I created a website for Mac-using Geocachers, http://chimbisimo.googlepages.com . I use a Magellan eXplorist 500 as my GPS. I've tried MacCaching, but I just don't like it - I have a review up on my site. I MUCH prefer GeoJournal http://www.geojournal.net

That's because you helped beta test it and wrote part of the documentation. :D

I've tried GeoJournal, but I prefer MacCaching -- and I have no ties to either one.

To anyone wanting to know which is best, download both and try them out and make your decision from there. They're both good pieces of software, but the best one is the one that you can get the most use out of with your particular needs.

:D

My reviews of MacCaching began before I was introduced to GeoJournal, and it includes emails to MacCaching and forum participation on the site before GeoJournal's time. I tried MacCaching for a while but switched back to GPSBabel, until I saw GeoJournal.

I would help write documentation for MacCaching right now, if asked :D But my main app would still be GeoJournal. Additionally, I don't receive any money or anything from sales of GeoJournal. I'm just trying to be helpful.

I'm curious as to why you prefer MacCaching over GeoJournal - perhaps I'm missing something. I'd be more than happy to switch to MacCaching if/when it works better for me than GeoJournal. I'd also love to help in the development. I'm all for stiff competition - it benefits everyone, especially us consumers/geocachers!

Thanks!

I'm curious as to why you prefer MacCaching over GeoJournal - perhaps I'm missing something. I'd be more than happy to switch to MacCaching if/when it works better for me than GeoJournal. I'd also love to help in the development. I'm all for stiff competition - it benefits everyone, especially us consumers/geocachers!

Thanks!

Geojournal's interface looks nicer, but as far as I can tell, it cannot export to iPod Notes as MacCaching can. If it can, please let me know.

Thanks!

Geojournal's interface looks nicer, but as far as I can tell, it cannot export to iPod Notes as MacCaching can. If it can, please let me know.

No, currently it cannot.

NOTE: I don't want to make this a features request thread, but I think discussing Mac geocaching software pros and cons here is very appropriate.

Can anyone update us on how Garmin is doing with mac compatible software?

I know they have:

some software for waypoints and such (Mac POI Loader)

an updater for GPS unit software (MacWebUpdater)

a windows conversion program that creates mac compatible files (runs on PC) (MapConverter)

an installation program that installs the files created on the PC (MapInstall for Mac)

In other words, it's doing what I've been doing on my Magellan eXplorist... making maps on a PC and transferring them to the Mac. Third party software takes care of loading waypoint and geocache files. Too bad the files are not simple text files like the eXplorist ones.

I heard that there is now at least one mac-compatible map program out. Is that true, and can someone give a review of what GPS you used and how it all worked?

I am in the market for a new GPS (my Garmin 12XL is ancient, my eXplorist 500 just died, and my Palm TX is too wimpy for the field). I have brand loyalty to whoever can make a mac friendly unit.

Tell Garmin you want full Mac mapping software now:

cartography@garmin.com

Say it here too, so they know we aren't willing to settle for having to load Windoze or an emulator on our Macs.

Edited by Parsa

I'd love to get an update on Mac Garmin software as well. I'm a brand new geocacher, using a Garmin GPSMap 60CSX (purchased earlier this year for a trip to the North Maine woods.) I've successfully used MacWebUpdater to update the OS for my Garmin nuvi 770, but haven't used any of the other software mentioned. In downloading some cache info from Geocaching.com yesterday, I was unable to get the data directly to my 60CSX using my Mac - had to have my husband download the data for me using his PC, which had no issues. The version of Garmin Communicator on my Mac is current, and recognizes my GPS, so that isn't it. Geocaching indicates that it successfully send the data when I used the Mac, but nothing showed up on the GPS unit. As a separate point, I tried to download the same info to my Nuvi using the Mac, but got an error message.

We need full Mac mapping software!!

Lisa (lemur19)

Can anyone update us on how Garmin is doing with mac compatible software?

I know they have:

some software for waypoints and such (Mac POI Loader)

an updater for GPS unit software (MacWebUpdater)

a windows conversion program that creates mac compatible files (runs on PC) (MapConverter)

an installation program that installs the files created on the PC (MapInstall for Mac)

I heard that there is now at least one mac-compatible map program out. Is that true, and can someone give a review of what GPS you used and how it all worked?

Tell Garmin you want full Mac mapping software now:

cartography@garmin.com

Say it here too, so they know we aren't willing to settle for having to load Windoze or an emulator on our Macs.