Mustang Horse Geocoin

E.caballus

Hello,

We are leaning towards making our first coin in honor of the American Mustang horse. Here is a very rough conceptual sketch and would appreciate any advice or feedback about our design before getting an artist to draw it for the mint. (The wording did not wrap around the edge well because I was using Powerpoint.) If the link does not work, please let me know.

7761d69e-c136-4973-956b-2985d7ce490d.jpg

We thought about making it in the shape of a horse but want to keep the cost down. We are thinking of doing the side with the rearing horse in 3D in antique nickel and the side with the running horse in 2D with colors. Probably will be a 1.5" coin, trackable.

If we go ahead with it, we will be doing a pre-sale with CoinsAndPins.

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

I especially like the idea of the 3D for the rearing mustang... that will be amazing! I'd recommend putting the tracking # out with the wording so it doesn't detract from the gorgeous horse.

What about on the back, instead of a picture or drawing of another horse, putting a bit and bridle/saddle with one of those red circles with a line through it over them... kind of a graphical representation of running free?

This is going to be a really wonderful coin. Gotta be in antique finishes...

One last request: make sure you have permission from the photographer if the photo isn't yours.

Good luck and please keep me in mind for a trade if you keep any finishes that are not offered for sale on C&P

I'm meeting with my artist this afternoon. Any suggestions on whether to have color on the 2D side or just keep it antique as well? My family's split regarding color vs. no color for the 2D. Or maybe have the silhouette horse antique with not-so-bright background colors so the background does not distract from the horse?

I'm meeting with my artist this afternoon. Any suggestions on whether to have color on the 2D side or just keep it antique as well? My family's split regarding color vs. no color for the 2D. Or maybe have the silhouette horse antique with not-so-bright background colors so the background does not distract from the horse?

I've seen a few with horses and other animals and while the photo-type looks cool in concept, it doesn't always translate as well or hold up as well on a traveling coin. The 2d with an antique finish has been used successfully a number of times though and would be my vote. Do you own/ride mustangs while caching?

I've seen a few with horses and other animals and while the photo-type looks cool in concept, it doesn't always translate as well or hold up as well on a traveling coin. The 2d with an antique finish has been used successfully a number of times though and would be my vote. Do you own/ride mustangs while caching?

Hi Fox-and-the_hound,

Unfortunately, we do not own mustangs or any horse - sure wish we could. We all love horses and do ride; some of us are better than others :-) One of us has also been helping a bit with a local therapeutic riding program available through a nearby barn. If this coin is popular, we're thinking about doing a therapeutic riding coin and donating all profits to that purpose.

Hi Fox-and-the_hound,

Unfortunately, we do not own mustangs or any horse - sure wish we could. We all love horses and do ride; some of us are better than others :-) One of us has also been helping a bit with a local therapeutic riding program available through a nearby barn. If this coin is popular, we're thinking about doing a therapeutic riding coin and donating all profits to that purpose.

Hi Fox-and-the_hound,

Oh, I was curious after seeing the foal on your profile :unsure: On the rearing horse side, I'd try to avoid cutting the tail off with the outer ring. Don't be afraid to overlap your 3d over the 2d ring. Breaking borders always seems to add more than detract from the overall appeal. :rolleyes:

Hi Fox-and-the_hound,

Oh, I was curious after seeing the foal on your profile :unsure: On the rearing horse side, I'd try to avoid cutting the tail off with the outer ring. Don't be afraid to overlap your 3d over the 2d ring. Breaking borders always seems to add more than detract from the overall appeal. :unsure:

Thanks for the suggestion about the tail - did that and it does look good. We also removed most of the background brush except for just a bit of grass/brush by its feet. Will just do a simple antique plain finish around the rest of the 3D horse so it should really stand out.

Neither the 3D nor 2D horse will be a photo. Someone is drawing them for us. The 2D horse will be the coin metal color (antique silver and possibly antique gold) with not-bright background colors: yellow-green grass field, tan cliffs in the background, and light sky blue. The 2D horse's tail will probably also overlap over the outer ring.

Also incorporating derschlings' suggestion (thank you) about moving the tracking number off the 3D side - it'll be under the 2D horse's hooves instead. We'll try to put no-bit no-saddle symbols in the ring on the 2D side.

I'm hoping for the artist's pictures soon so the mint can get going before the end of the year.

Drawings are off to Coins and Pins!

One side will be:

Rearing

3D horse, raised rim, simple antique silver around the horse.

Other side will be:

Running

2D horse and front grass, with all line details. Raised rim, sky/cliffs/background grass recessed from horse. Sky color to be a light sky blue. Cliffs should be tan. Background grass should be green-yellow.

They said they'll start working on it after the holidays. We're excited!

Any additional suggestions?

I'm really new at this so bear with me... I love the coin too! How will I find out when and where it is availbe to purchase?? I am an avid horseback rider and got my GPS for that reason. Geocaching was a second thought to learn to use the GPS. Now, I can't wait for spring so I can actually RIDE to some of the geocaches and even hide a few of my own!!

I'm really new at this so bear with me... I love the coin too! How will I find out when and where it is availbe to purchase?? I am an avid horseback rider and got my GPS for that reason. Geocaching was a second thought to learn to use the GPS. Now, I can't wait for spring so I can actually RIDE to some of the geocaches and even hide a few of my own!!

I'm new to this too :-) This is our first geocoin so I can only tell you what we've been told. We are going through CoinsandPins' pre-sale program. They are revising the back design and should have the 2nd pass by early next week. Then when we approve everything, they will have it for sale through their website for a week or so. They say they will notify everyone on their email list and I will provide the direct link at this forum also. Then I think they said it takes about 4 weeks after the end of the pre-sale program, so by about the end of Feb the coins should be in hand. We're very excited :huh:

BTW, noticed you are up in Oregon. We saw a couple of mustangs for adoption a few years ago when we visited the High Desert Museum by Bend. Sigh - we just can't afford the room here in the CA Bay Area for a horse.

Wow! I got the link to this coin today and I must say this coin is a must have for me!

Since I am horseaddicted and have hidden my caches in the Taunus on horseback.

I don't have a mustang but a socalled "Alpenquarter" = Haflinger. Thus I would buy some coins in any case when they are ready.

The design is very beautiful!

Die art is about to be approved! Here it is:

210734bc-3cb1-4426-9b81-f2a239318bd1.jpg

We are thinking that the black lettering might be a bit too dark for the 3D side and will detract from the horse itself? Perhaps no color fill at all for the lettering? Or a dark gray instead of black for the antique silver and a dark bronze lettering for the antique bronze?

Dusting off an old thread :-)

We've been tweaking the dieart to get it just right. Many thanks to the folks at C&P for finding a border with a running horse for the front. Almost there and looking for a bit of feedback.

f0f8013d-e642-460a-83a2-4a24f7f6ce4d.jpg

What do folks think about the AMERICAN MUSTANG where it is? Would it be better under the grass area? If there, would move the e.caballus to somewhere on the back, probably under the tracking number, in small font.

Suggestions?

It's beautiful, I love horses and definitely will want some of these..... maybe the tracking number should go in the back with the e.caballus (maybe above it).... so the mustang is running free w/out anything underneath it.... just a thought.....

We've been tweaking the dieart to get it just right. Many thanks to the folks at C&P for finding a border with a running horse for the front. Almost there and looking for a bit of feedback.

What do folks think about the AMERICAN MUSTANG where it is? Would it be better under the grass area? If there, would move the e.caballus to somewhere on the back, probably under the tracking number, in small font.

Suggestions?

It's beautiful, I love horses and definitely will want some of these..... maybe the tracking number should go in the back with the e.caballus (maybe above it).... so the mustang is running free w/out anything underneath it.... just a thought.....

Suggestions?

The new artwork looks alot better, the border is great.

I can't tell for sure but check your caching name, it looks like there is an 'A' missing, the 2nd one?

Yup, that's a typo - I've asked them to fix that.

I'm also toying with removing AMERICAN MUSTANG completely - thoughts?

The new artwork looks alot better, the border is great.

I can't tell for sure but check your caching name, it looks like there is an 'A' missing, the 2nd one?

Yup, that's a typo - I've asked them to fix that.

I'm also toying with removing AMERICAN MUSTANG completely - thoughts?

Well this looks like a personal coin, right? So, if this coin represents you, does the American Mustang mean something to you? If you made the coin as is and I asked you why you put the American Mustang on there, what would you tell me?

I think you should do what you feel is right, it's your coin and it's coming along very nicely :D

PS: I'm all about the 'Big Dog', it completely changed Native American lifestyles. I love everything the Mustang represents. I can't wait to see the finished coin and just enjoy the process.

tsun :D