Caches in and around College/University campuses

PhxChem

First of all, I totally understand the inappropriateness of hiding a cache on elementary, middle school, Jr. high school, and high school property. Most of these campus are closed in some way during most of the day to protect kids. No need to cause a scare over a Rubbermaid. However, what are the rules on public college and university campuses which are basically open 24/7?

Although I have seen some listed in these types of locations, the FAQ also states that there is no precedent in where a cache can be hidden (in other words, just because someone else has done it, that doesn't mean it's appropriate). So...What are your thoughts?

For the most part I don't see a problem here - with some reservations. No need to hide caches nearby to any dorms or student housing. Most of the ones I have seen on campus were close to athletic facilities or park/trail type areas.

Permission should be necessary in most situations, I would think.

I found one, placed by a staff member of the college, with permission. That did not stop security from busting my chops.

:( edited by me from two to one - this was my identical experience several years ago on the USF campus

I'd guess most student placements are without permission and most staff placements are with permission. Just a guess. There's nothing in the listing guidelines about college campuses.

There are a bunch of them in TN on various college campuses... even some in libraries, athletic buildings, stadiums, etc.

I used to have a cache on a college campus in Tennessee. Although I didn't have explicit permission, I had a "Sounds like a neat idea" email from the receptionist of the guy in charge, who never got back to me, even after I made several attempts to contact him. I decided if the receptionist thought it was ok, and the boss was too lazy to get back to me, then it was good to go.

Never had a problem.

Jamie

I used to have a cache on top of a university building. And I, uh, didn't get permission. But my thinking was: it's a publicly-funded university; it's a publicly-accessible location (but few people know about it -- and that's what caching's about, right?); there's no rule against caching on the campus (the 'if it's not banned, it's allowed' argument); and it's the norm for people to hang flyers, set up shanty towns, hold rallies, do guerilla art, etc, on a campus. So surely there's no problem with a small cache. It was a hugely popular cache, and had a good long life, with no trouble beyond disappearing twice (I archived it after the second).

If I were to do it today, I'd ask permission.

I don't see isuses with them either. Near me, we have some great outdoor campuses with hiking trails so they make for great caches.

I would be extremely cautious about the cammo on them given the recent events around campus shootings, etc. Common sense goes a long way. No ammo boxes, anything that looks like a pipe-bomb, etc.

I don't see issues with them either. Near me, we have some great outdoor campuses with hiking trails so they make for great caches.

I would be extremely cautious about the cammo on them given the recent events around campus shootings, etc. Common sense goes a long way. No ammo boxes, anything that looks like a pipe-bomb, etc.

100% agreement with kealia about university appropriate containers. I went back to our local campus to make sure the plastic Ice Cream container had been removed, after it had been archived due to maintenance issues (it had been removed). I also scouted more of the area than when I made the original find. I found a great area a little deeper in the woods, and ever farther away from the eyes of campus security. I contacted the original hider about their original permissions (this was actually a multi involving two entities). It turned out she had personal ties to both organizations, and gave her blessings to proceed with a new similar hide. Of course I was ready to submit this just days after the VT tragedy. I was sure that would change hearts and minds about a campus hide. To my surprise, I was advised I could still go forward with this. Every regular size container I had placed before this was an Ammo Can. I made a conscious decision to NOT use an Ammo Can for this one. There have been no issues so far. This is a relatively small campus. The hide is in a somewhat isolated spot near the edge of the property. There is nearby convenient parking, not very close to any campus buildings. The neighboring property, where stage one is located, welcomes visitors. Not every location will be appropriate. Find a great location, get permission, and use a non threatening container.

Also, mine can be found in a few minutes. A cache that requires an extended search, is more likely to draw attention to the searchers.

I used to have a cache on top of a university building.

There's one here that's at the opposite end -- under the stairs in the basement of the Art Department. Students are constantly discarding spray-paint cans, broken chairs, and other stuff there, not to mention using it as the neighborhood toking-up zone, so a small cache is the least of that location's issues! Plus, the cache has a long life-expectancy because the stairway is such a mess that even the janitor seems to be scared to go there; it gets cleaned out at most about once every 10 years :rolleyes:

I used to have a cache on top of a university building.

There's one here that's at the opposite end -- under the stairs in the basement of the Art Department. Students are constantly discarding spray-paint cans, broken chairs, and other stuff there, not to mention using it as the neighborhood toking-up zone, so a small cache is the least of that location's issues! Plus, the cache has a long life-expectancy because the stairway is such a mess that even the janitor seems to be scared to go there; it gets cleaned out at most about once every 10 years :ph34r:

Time for some CITO! :ph34r:

Technically university grounds (especially a state university) is "land set aside for public use" - so, it fits into the guidelines right?

I have a couple of caches placed on the campus of Aurora University, in Aurora, IL and I am planning on a huge multi for the campus of Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, IL.

As a staff member, I have spoken with our campus police and they did not know what geocaching was. When I explained it, one of them said "ah.. like high tech orineteering..." and that was that.

There are a few (4) active caches on campus but only one has permission since it is the only one that is located in a less-public area (an art garden).

So, I don't see any problems with it - and really, like some others have said, you would be hard pressed to find a campus WITHOUT at least one cache... :-)

So does this campus cache fit into this "common sense" criteria? :)

WMD: Weapon of Medieval Destruction

0bfd993d-8dd9-4bd9-9746-7e34a7e569f0.jpg

BTW... I don't have explicit permission from the college for this cache placement, but was involved with the group responsible for the WMD's construction and know that they would allow and support its placement.

medoug.

Edited by medoug

Technically university grounds (especially a state university) is "land set aside for public use" - so, it fits into the guidelines right?

I have a couple of caches placed on the campus of Aurora University, in Aurora, IL and I am planning on a huge multi for the campus of Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, IL.

As a staff member, I have spoken with our campus police and they did not know what geocaching was. When I explained it, one of them said "ah.. like high tech orineteering..." and that was that.

There are a few (4) active caches on campus but only one has permission since it is the only one that is located in a less-public area (an art garden).

So, I don't see any problems with it - and really, like some others have said, you would be hard pressed to find a campus WITHOUT at least one cache... :-)

Sweet! I'll have a new cache to look for the next time I'm visiting my sister and her family :( I've done the art garden one twice, since it was archived and then rehidden in the same place.

I am planning on a huge multi for the campus of Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, IL.

Sweet! I'll have a new cache to look for the next time I'm visiting my sister and her family :D I've done the art garden one twice, since it was archived and then rehidden in the same place.

...if it ever stops raining here so I can go place it :(

Here is my take on campus caches. I don't feel comfortable looking for them. I have found a few....and on one occasion I was stopped by plain clothes campus police and questioned on campus at Indiana University. I had nothing to hide, and one of the campus cops had heard of geocaching, so they understood. It is just another set of "officials" you have to explain yourself to.

This does not mean that I would not look for campus caches, but they are not my favorite.

I actually did one on a local college campus just this morning.

It was located on an open field with scattered trees and brush that abutted the main campus parking lot.

When I was through logging the cache, I headed back to my truck covered with pine needles and leaves. I had to clear a small ditch and come out of a line of trees just in time to land about twenty feet in front of a jogger on the campus jogging path. I simply kept my momentum and tried to avoid any communication or eye contact for fear of this poor jogger thinking I was trying to confront them.

I normally would have tried to smile and say hello or something to reassure them I meant no harm but I got the feeling I would have just triggered their reaction to run to that nearby "Emergency Button" booth with the blue light in the parking lot and then I'd be explaining myself to the cops from police station next to the campus.

I simply got into my truck and made my way carefully out of the parking lot. I'll bet mention of my sudden, unintended appearance was made to campus security.

I gotta be more careful when I come out of the woods all covered in leaves and mud!

:(