Do some of us take Geocaching TOO seriously

DO some of us take Geo-caching too seriously? This is a question that I find pops into my head sometimes, usually after I receive a sniping email from a fellow cacher who I suspect is being overly competitive or has little else in their lives other than Geo-caching. Geo-caching is a hobby:

Hobby

There are two definitions for this word:

1 is in relation to it being the name of a small European falcon

2 is an interest or activity that one pursues in one's leisure time, for pleasure

I really enjoy my Geo-caching and it is something I do to relax, exercise, take my mind off the world, spend alone time with my son.......... but I'd never become so wrapped up in my hobby that I'd snipe at another cacher for something they've done or not done!! I personally find this takes the 'pleasure' out of my Geo-caching.

So do we take our hobby TOO seriously?

DO some of us take Geo-caching too seriously? This is a question that I find pops into my head sometimes, usually after I receive a sniping email from a fellow cacher who I suspect is being overly competitive or has little else in their lives other than Geo-caching. Geo-caching is a hobby

So do we take our hobby TOO seriously?

Your own profile says it all.

Since you were introduced to geocaching you've been hooked - that makes it an addiction NOT a hobby and that's SERIOUS :(:D:D

Hobby for us, but at certain times i can sense an addiction coming on... then it starts raining :D

Same here :D

:santa::drama::(

LOL, you've just been looking at my multiple DNF's for GCF81D :santa: It was my week off, i got annoyed and ended up replacing the container myself lol (owners permission by the way)...then it started raining :santa:

Same here :D

2004 3 0.014 2 / every 107.5 days

2005 9 0.025 6 / every 60.8 days

2006 33 0.090 21 / every 17.4 days

2007 61 0.192 28 / every 11.3 days

I can DEFINATLEY see an addiction starting there fella! :santa::santa:

Darn those statistics :(

But I have to say I live in Wales and it rains a lot :D

Lol, are those MY stats!!? if they are thats just the arrival of a like minded girl friend, not an addiction yet ;-)

I'm not going to post the email as I wasn't the recipient in this case but it was a 'well at least we do it this way and not your way' type of email.....

I dont think theres anything wrong with a good healthy addiction :-) but some times people go TOO far and over step the mark in an instance when there is no need or provocation, I think they forget the 'pleasure' aspect of the sport/hobby.

Aren't you taking the fact that people take it too seriously, too seriously?

And I know what you're going to say! You're going to accuse me of taking the fact that CL takes it too seriously that others take geocaching too seriously, too seriously. Well I'm not! That seriously annoys me ... or something. :(

It's the nature of things, most people just consider it a hobby but there will always be some who get just a little too involved and that's where the problems start.

At the end of the day though, as long as you consider it a hobby just let them rant away and carry on having fun.

For me? It's a hobby, or that's what we told ourselves the other day , in the dark, when it started raining and yet we still lokked for a few more minutes :(

Oi Copper quit letting people diss you man, there's always someone out there gonna hack you off. Just pop them in your ignore list and forget about it. I hope it's not a reviewer that's giving you grief lol

Aii

I'll have you know that Reviewers are always Firm and Polite with the members and never Hack them off :( despite what people tell you :D

The UK geocaching community is just like any other community, a huge mix of people. Not all of which are going to agree or get along with each other.

Lol, I'm over it now........ just had to get it out of my system. The OCD thing is true. There will always be spoil sports, I've bumped into a couple.

Thank for the chuckle, I think half the time just airing your view and then watching you lot reply or take the piss just takes the edge of the annoyance. HAPPY CACHING EVERYONE.

On your way to a serious addiction?

How many of these can you tick?..............

1. You look at this forum at least once a day.

2. You look at GC.com at least once a day.

3. You look at a regional forum at least once a day.

4. You partake in a caching chat room.

5. The majority of names in your address book are cachers.

6. The majority of phone numbers in your mobile are cachers.

7. A shopping trip involves 'just checking the lock n lock' aisle.

8. A drive involves looking at footpaths, ruins etc. as you pass by.

9. That GPS is in pocket/bag/car - just incase.

10. Tomtom is all fired up and ready to go.

11. You look at all containers to see if they are waterproof.

12. Your kitchen cupboard only has plastic boxes with badly fitting lids.

13. Constantly on the lookout for the best magnets/strong glue/devious containers.

14. If you see cheap swaps when out, you just have to purchase them.

15. Maps constantly poured over for new hiding places.

16. If you miss a weekend of finding a cache you have withdrawal symptoms.

17. You suggest possible cache locations to other cachers if it is outside your area.

18. Next years holiday dates have to fit around events.

19. For Xmas you have requested caching related presents.

20. You would never have considered going for a walk in bad weather, going off the path, climbing those barbed wire fences, trudging through bog - until you discovered caching.

Sure there are loads more to add, If you can tick 3 or more, you are on the way to taking it TOO seriously.

:D:blink::blink:

1. You look at this forum at least once a day. :blink:

2. You look at GC.com at least once a day. :D

7. A shopping trip involves 'just checking the lock n lock' aisle. :D

8. A drive involves looking at footpaths, ruins etc. as you pass by. :ph34r:

9. That GPS is in pocket/bag/car - just incase. :ph34r:

11. You look at all containers to see if they are waterproof. :D

12. Your kitchen cupboard only has plastic boxes with badly fitting lids. :blink:

13. Constantly on the lookout for the best magnets/strong glue/devious containers. :D

14. If you see cheap swaps when out, you just have to purchase them. :D

15. Maps constantly poured over for new hiding places. B)

16. If you miss a weekend of finding a cache you have withdrawal symptoms. :D

20. You would never have considered going for a walk in bad weather, going off the path, climbing those barbed wire fences, trudging through bog - until you discovered caching. :D

HELP ME!

I read the list

It reminded me of these caches in fact this one says it all.

Is it worse if i say i know there is one in the UK but can't remember its name ??

In fact ive thought of a new multi cache

A do not find this cache in every county if you dont find any of them you can log the final

what do you think ?? :blink::D

Like a 'Little Don't Quest' :blink: Sounds good Go For It!

Edited by The Lavender Hill Mob

1. You look at this forum at least once a day.

A. Yes but don't post every day so that 's not quite so bad .... is it?

2. You look at GC.com at least once a day.

A. Well ... yes probably

3. You look at a regional forum at least once a day.

A. More than one, and I actually set one up!

4. You partake in a caching chat room.

A. No

5. The majority of names in your address book are cachers.

A. Not my Outlook address book, but Facebook contacts are pretty much ALL caching related

6. The majority of phone numbers in your mobile are cachers.

A. I currently have 76 caching PAF's on my mobile

7. A shopping trip involves 'just checking the lock n lock' aisle.

A. What other purpose is there for going shopping?

8. A drive involves looking at footpaths, ruins etc. as you pass by.

A. And considering what type of cache and cache container could be hidden there!

9. That GPS is in pocket/bag/car - just incase.

A. Starting to hang my head in shame now

10. Tomtom is all fired up and ready to go.

A. Not quite as organised as I used to be.

11. You look at all containers to see if they are waterproof.

A. Heck this is getting seriously bad now. It doesnt have to resemble a lunch box to be considered as cache worthy.

12. Your kitchen cupboard only has plastic boxes with badly fitting lids.

A. Food bags, dishes with plates over the top, boxes which have lost their lids!!

13. Constantly on the lookout for the best magnets/strong glue/devious containers.

A. Not constantly ... I don't think

14. If you see cheap swaps when out, you just have to purchase them.

A. Not necessarily cheap, they have to be nice too, because I don't believe in leaving tat in cache boxes

15. Maps constantly poured over for new hiding places.

A. I have my moments

16. If you miss a weekend of finding a cache you have withdrawal symptoms.

A. A weekend without caching is not natural

17. You suggest possible cache locations to other cachers if it is outside your area.

A. To date I have set (in conjunction with another cacher) over 40 caches under a different caching identity. We have subsequently had them adopted because they are out of our location. They were set specifically for events.

18. Next years holiday dates have to fit around events.

A. Events are holidays .... aren't they?

19. For Xmas you have requested caching related presents.

A. I haven't asked for anything for Christmas ... yet. I would like one of those Mio PDA's but I will probably get that for myself some time.

20. You would never have considered going for a walk in bad weather, going off the path, climbing those barbed wire fences, trudging through bog - until you discovered caching.

A. Probably true. I still have a scar on my thigh from one of my first ever caching trips when I got caught up in barbed wire.

I DO NOT TAKE IT SERIOUSLY!!!! :ph34r::D:D

But back OT ... ignore it Copper's Lot. So long as you are enjoying yourself, doesn't matter about the spoilsports. :blink::blink::D

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

18/20 for me..... there is no hope!!!!!!!!!

s for stopping when its raining.... don't be so nesh...... if its a bit claggy and dreich then all the bettter

as the members of the North west winter wanderers clubs assualt on anglezarke moor can testify

22 caches in some of the worst weather the pennines can throw at you..

0c979e1b-06d2-4b40-90e7-edee8a9dd12d.jpg

the crossing of black brook

;)