Space Shuttle Atlantis Launch Party

Jamie Z

I've made a tradition of hosting a launch party in the Geocaching Chat Room during significant (and usually televised) launches of both manned and unmanned rockets. We've watched a number of shuttles launch. We've watched the Mars Exploration Rovers launch and land. And we've watched (figuratively) a probe smash into an asteroid.

It's time again.

170421main_atlantis_rss-420.jpg

Shuttle Atlantis is poised to launch at 4:31pm EST, 3:31 CST and 1:31pm PST on Thursday, December 6. Join us if you can.

Possibly you have NASA TV at home. Lots of cable companies carry it. Also, the launch should be on CNN and several other national news networks. Alternately, if you're like me and don't own a TV, NASA has several internet feeds, found here: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/

I'd like to have more than two people there, like last time. :laughing:

Jamie

Out of curiousity, what makes this particular launch significant?

Um. They're strapping seven humans to 6.75 million pounds of thrust to put them in orbit around the planet.

If spaceflight in and of itself isn't significant enough, this particular launch will carry a major European laboratory to the International Space Station.

Anyway... this just in, there's a potential problem with fuel sensors. As we speak, they're diagnosing the problem. Hope it doesn't delay the launch, as the last three launches have all gone on schedule. Weather is perfect.

Jamie

Crap.

NASA TV showing a screen stating "STS-122 Launch Postponed." An upcoming press conference is planned. I wonder how big of a problem this is, whether they'll have to empty the fuel tank, or possibly roll the shuttle back to the VAB.

Generally, they can fix these things on the launch pad.

Jamie

If spaceflight in and of itself isn't significant enough, this particular launch will carry a major European laboratory to the International Space Station.

I don't mean to imply space flight is in itself insignificant. I was just wondering what made this particular mission stand above others. Yes, the lab is a big one.

When my husband and I were stationed in Orlando, FL (back when the nuke base was still open and we were still dating) we went to see a launch. We spent the night camped out in our little Geo Metro and saw the launch in the wee hours of the morning. It was amazingly beautiful and something neither of us will ever forget. We raced back right afterwards to get to class on time and spent the day asleep at our desks, but it was SOOOOOOO worth it! There's nothing like seeing the launch in person.

Sorry, I'm a bit out of touch with what's happeneing in the space program these days.

I must agree, if only for a somewhat related but far more pertinent and relevant reason: I feel that the focus of the OP, in starting this particular thread, is incredibly short-sighted, anthropocentric and earth-centric, as he initiates these "chats" only for launches of US "space missions" and totally ignores the numerous landings and takeoffs -- on and from our planet's surface -- of alien starships and alien shuttle craft which occur regularly. Do I detect some kind of sinister pro-human or pro-earth bias or agenda on the part of the OP? Hmmmm????

Next launch attempt no earlier than Saturday.

Curiously, if the launch doesn't go before the end of next week, they'll have to delay it until after Jan 1, since it's unknown how all the computers would handle the date rollover while on orbit.

Jamie

You'd think that they would "handle it" the same up there as while down here.

I find this more than mildly mind boggling considering that this issue exists in the same country that placed living, breathing humans on the surface of the moon in 1969. We even had people up there driving dune buggy's and practicing their golf swing for criminnie sakes.

Wait just a minute............... isn't there an International Space Station zooming around up there?

Or is it "out there"?

Strange.

Edited by Team Cotati
You'd think that they would "handle it" the same up there as while down here.

Right. But the consequences of some random bug is a bit higher when in space. I think a year or two ago, they were on the verge of having a shuttle in orbit on January 1. I think NASA's stance was that they would do it if they had to, but they'd prefer to avoid it, just in case something funny happens. The plan was to keep the Shuttle docked to ISS if it came to December 31. It makes me wonder if the date rollover was a design consideration.

On another note, for those of you who want to watch it online, here is the highest quality stream I've yet found. http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=1368163

Full screen, this feed is almost TV-quality.

Any way to play this stream in a standalone player like Real or Windows Media?

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z

Sorry, I'm a bit out of touch with what's happeneing in the space program these days.

I must agree, if only for a somewhat related but far more pertinent and relevant reason: I feel that the focus of the OP, in starting this particular thread, is incredibly short-sighted, anthropocentric and earth-centric, as he initiates these "chats" only for launches of US "space missions" and totally ignores the numerous landings and takeoffs -- on and from our planet's surface -- of alien starships and alien shuttle craft which occur regularly. Do I detect some kind of sinister pro-human or pro-earth bias or agenda on the part of the OP? Hmmmm????

LMAO!!!!!!! Gotta go, the mothership is here!!!!!!!

On another note, for those of you who want to watch it online, here is the highest quality stream I've yet found. http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=1368163

Interesting. Now that I've posted this stream as a link, it opens Media Player on my system, just like I was looking for.

Jamie

Too cool!

I checked out the video link and they were playing a recorded program of the underwater training the astronauts undergo.

I have always wondered...is that the exact, unmodified desgin of the space suits they wear while doing their spacewalks and repair missions...or has it been modified somehow for the underwater training?

My thinking is that the suits should be able to be used underwater as well as in space without any modification. I figure if they are rugged enough for the near vacuum of space, an olympic-sized pool would be no problem for it.

Anyone know? Are those suits modified for "hangin' out by the pool?"

I have always wondered...is that the exact, unmodified desgin of the space suits they wear while doing their spacewalks and repair missions...or has it been modified somehow for the underwater training?

I don't know for sure, but here's my thoughts:

As you said, the space suits should be rugged enough to withstand a measly pool...

Two things stand in the way. First is cost. The actual space suits are ridiculously expensive, so perhaps they have a "trimmed-down" version to use for training. Since they don't really need to have life support, perhaps they are connected by hose to power and air, rather than carrying an expensive life-support system.

Second issue is that space is a vacuum. Under water is pressurized. That is, in space, the pressure in the suit would tend to blow up the suit like a balloon. Indeed, that's an issue, especially with components like gloves. Under water, with the same suit pressure, the suit would be pressed against the astronauts body. You'd have to pressurize the suit to that above the water pressure in order to correctly simulate space.

So... my estimation would be that the training suits are near-identical to suits used in space, but not exact replicas owing to practical limitations.

Oh.. and NASA is looking at a Sunday launch at the soonest.

Jamie

Interesting. Now that I've posted this stream as a link, it opens Media Player on my system, just like I was looking for.

I usually paste the URL into Media Player. File => Open URL

I usually paste the URL into Media Player. File => Open URL

Ah. Good one. Thanks.

News from NASA website:

"Dec. 8 - 6:15 p.m. EST

Space shuttle Atlantis is scheduled to launch Sunday, Dec. 9, at 3:21 p.m. EST, from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Shuttle program managers made the liftoff decision after three days of reviewing data on a problem with fuel sensors."

According to the AP, NASA has given itself a one-minute launch window in order to assure that the fuel level in the tanks doesn't deplete, and they've also tightened (rather than loosened, as many expected) the criteria that all four sensors must be operating properly. Previously, only three of the four had to work, and there was talk of lowering it to two-of-four. Management decided that in this case, all of them must work.

See you tomorrow in the chat room, 3:21pm EST. 12:21pm PST. I hope I can make it... I've got some stuff going on tomorrow.

Jamie

Too cool!

I checked out the video link and they were playing a recorded program of the underwater training the astronauts undergo.

My thinking is that the suits should be able to be used underwater as well as in space without any modification. I figure if they are rugged enough for the near vacuum of space, an olympic-sized pool would be no problem for it.

Anyone know? Are those suits modified for "hangin' out by the pool?"

Yes, I've heard that they are quite the rage in Palm Springs.

Is anyone else seeing the "Nasa Edge" program, starting off with the co-host (Blair) that was late because he was geocaching? Apparently due to solar activity, as they are now doing an interview with someone about "Space Weather."

Cute skit. They also just did a short bit about spacesuits, btw...

NASA Edge

Well, couldn't link directly to the show, but it is # 4 on the above link...

Edited by Too Tall John

There was a discussion in the geocoin forum about a coin that is on the shuttle as we speak. The owner had published the tracking number so that anyone who saw the shuttle overhead could discover the coin. I thought that was an outstanding idea, and I went there today to plan a sighting of the shuttle in the night sky. But alas, TPTB here at Groundspeak decided to lock the coin.

I'm disappointed to say the least.