2008 Alaska Geocoins Now On Sale

Ladybug Kids

GeocacheAlaska! is proud to announce the release of the 2008 Alaska geocoin. We got started so late on the 2007 Alaska geocoin that it eventually morphed into the 2008 coin and we decided to release it early to make your holiday shopping easier.

The coins are 1.5" in diameter, gc.com trackable and come in four varieties this year:

Bronze in plastic flip, $9.98 each, 1st run: 500, Maximum: 1000

b962bbde-63af-4f6b-9dfd-c59e0c81030e.jpg

1 ounce 0.999 Silver in airtight capsule and velvet display box, $34.98 each, 1st run: 100, Maximum: 200

484151b2-1307-4d62-abfb-60ad2c78547d.jpg

1 ounce 0.999 Silver w/ 0.9999 fine gold relief in airtight capsule and velvet display box, $54.98 each, 1st run: 50 (already sold), 2nd run: 50 (will be ready in about two weeks), Maximum: 100

1 ounce 0.9999 fine gold in airtight capsule and velvet display box, $1095.00 each, 1st run: 10, Maximum: 10

1fb3a887-b9b6-4c54-9116-c0612bbe4407.jpg

Gold relief coin

2461ef6e-c1e8-4bbe-9c94-a30a30873029.jpg

Back of coin (silver depicted)

AKCoinback200.jpg

The coin features a custom icon:

polarbearicon32.jpg

Matching 1" lapel pins are also being offered for $1.98 each in antique silver and antique bronze:

polarbearpins.jpg

For more information about the coins and pins, visit the GeocacheAlaska! 2008 geocoin page.

<Edit by moderator to add gold relief coin>

Edited by Eartha

Got my order in. Toolman made drool-ly noises at the gold one.

Hmmm...I guess I'd rather pay the morgage payment this month and eat.

:rolleyes:

And pesky things, those utility folk. Ifn's you don't pay, they don't deliver!

Sincerely, these are beautiful coins. I bought the last one, too.

I bought a couple of bronze as well as both silvers the other day when i got the email about them.

I would love the gold, but like someone else said, the mortgage, utilities, and food are more important. was wife already wasn't pleased about $120 on coins.

oh and my company just moved into a brand new facility which is about double the distance of the previous one, so more gas will be needed...money, this time of year is nonexistent :rolleyes:

Can you post a picture of the gold pin?

The pins haven't arrived yet, but I will as soon they do. The antique bronze and antique silver photo is the sample photo provided by the manufacturer. Note that the gold pin is "satin gold finish," not solid gold like the coin.

We'll be shipping the coins beginning tonight and follow-up with the pins as soon as they arrive so we can at least get the coins into most folks' hands before the holidays.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

Repost of the gold relief coin since I can no longer edit the original post:

2461ef6e-c1e8-4bbe-9c94-a30a30873029.jpg

Edit: Fix spelling...next coin release, I'm taking time off from work since I get too punchy when sleep deprived.

Edit by moderator: to tell you I added the gold relief to the original post.

Edited by Eartha

I ordered some of the bronze the other day when I got the email. The others are just way out of my price range. How many people actually bought a gold so far?

Seven of the gold coins are sold out of our inventory, but some of those will be offered via another site by the folks who encouraged and supported that part of the project.

WHOA! That is simply amazing! I am truly impressed!

Gorgeous coin, ya'll... yet again!

Naomi :rolleyes:

I ordered some of the bronze the other day when I got the email. The others are just way out of my price range. How many people actually bought a gold so far?

Seven gold coins are sold out of our inventory, but some of those will be posted on another site by the folks who encouraged and then supported minting the gold coins.

We are approaching a sell out on the gold relief (15 of the 100 maximum left) and gold coins (3 of the 10 left) and I have to go work for a living where I can't continuously monitor sales and edit the webpage if a version sells out.

I will post in this thread as soon as I know a version sells out and issue refunds if necessary this evening once I return home.

Note to self: Learn how to add inventory control to the website.

We'll be stuffing envelopes tonight and hitting the post office right after that (we have a post office open until midnight), so US cachers should be seeing coins in their mailbox by early/beginning of next week. We've had some coins hit Europe in as little as five days in past years, so we'll see what happens this year during the holiday shipping season.

Also, a shipping note for the gold relief coins...The first run of fifty sold out very quickly and will be shipped in the order cachers' orders were received. A second run of fifty has been ordered which should be completed by the end of next week, so there is an outside chance of getting those coins into people's hands by the holidays. Once all the coins on hand are packaged and mailed, I'll send out an e-mail to the cachers who are receiving gold relief coins from the second run and keep you posted on the actual shipping date. If you don't receive an e-mail from coinsales at geocachealaska dot org by tomorrow night, that means your coins were mailed.

In advance, thanks for your understanding and wonderful support of this project.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

I don't know who has the better of the deal Chris and I have, I get one of each coin he designs and he get one of every coin I purchase, and normally so does the Fox aka Fox-and-the-Hound.

Being that he was born in Alaska, I had to get 2 of the Silver and 2 of the gold releif, Merry Christmas if you are reading this LOL

Will have extra of the Bronze for trades or special missions. :unsure:

Beautiful coin agaian Ladybug, I do hope that we get to change the back next year as has been talked about, would love to get 2 new designs for the money :rolleyes:

Sorry, no gold for me :ph34r:

I don't know who has the better of the deal Chris and I have, I get one of each coin he designs and he get one of every coin I purchase, and normally so does the Fox aka Fox-and-the-Hound.

Being that he was born in Alaska, I had to get 2 of the Silver and 2 of the gold releif, Merry Christmas if you are reading this LOL

Will have extra of the Bronze for trades or special missions. :unsure:

Beautiful coin agaian Ladybug, I do hope that we get to change the back next year as has been talked about, would love to get 2 new designs for the money :rolleyes:

Sorry, no gold for me :ph34r:

We'll be stuffing envelopes tonight and hitting the post office right after that (we have a post office open until midnight),

Well, we didn't make it to the post office last night, but the coins we packaged went out today. Many thanks to Scobey and NorthWes who helped with the first round of envelope stuffing.

All bronze, silver, and gold coins ordered as of last night (Friday) shipped today along with all the gold relief coins we had on hand. All polar bear geopins will ship as soon as we receive them (sometime around December 15). See below for current information regarding currently unfilled gold relief geocoin orders.

I'll send out an e-mail to the cachers who are receiving gold relief coins from the second run and keep you posted on the actual shipping date. If you don't receive an e-mail from coinsales at geocachealaska dot org by tomorrow night, that means your coins were mailed.

I sent out the e-mail a short time ago.

Subsequent gold relief orders are definitely coming out of the 2nd run, so I won't be sending a similar e-mail for them. The second (and final) run gold relief coins are expected on or about December 15. The gold relief coins and geopins (if you ordered any with your coins) will ship together as soon as we receive them.

There are nine gold relief coins and one gold coin left along with plenty of first run bronze and silver coins.

Thanks, all, for your support of the project! :)

Edited by Ladybug Kids

Beautiful coin agaian Ladybug, I do hope that we get to change the back next year as has been talked about, would love to get 2 new designs for the money :)

For the money...therein lies the rub. If two new dies were to be made, the bronze would cost about $2 more or the silver and silver with gold relief coins would cost about $5 more, assuming metal prices hold steady and historical quantities sell. However, metal prices have climbed for each edition of the coin, and the quantity of bronze and silver coins sold has decreased each year, so there are two factors working against continuing to produce these coins and still offer the bronze coin at no more than $10.

Besides, we're rather found of the prospector searching for his cache in the shadow of Denali and using him to tie each years' coins together.

To avoid taking this thread further off the topic of "sales," cachers are welcome to make their input heard in the GeocacheAlaska! forums in the 2008 Alaska Geocoin thread.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

The gold relief and solid gold coins are both sold out.

Holy Kamoley! That's it - I'm making solid gold Tiki Coins now! :D

Seriously, though, these coins are fabulous! Beautiful design and execution. If anyone in Hawaii bought one of the gold ones, I'd love to get a look at it! :D

Beautiful coin again Ladybug, I do hope that we get to change the back next year as has been talked about, would love to get 2 new designs for the money :(

For the money...therein lies the rub. If two new dies were to be made, the bronze would cost about $2 more or the silver and silver with gold relief coins would cost about $5 more, .

Besides, we're rather found of the prospector searching for his cache in the shadow of Denali and using him to tie each years' coins together.

board=news&action=display&thread=1193420003]2008 Alaska Geocoin[/url] thread.

Received mine today, the 2 silver/gold are beautiful (Xander will be receiving his 2nd coin as his First Christmas present :D

The bronze is really a surprise :D I was not really sure that they could showcase the details as well as the Silver/Gold but WOW they are truly amaizing and have all the beautiful details.

The smooth background behind the Northern lights and bear makes this coin stunning!

Knew I should have bought more than 5 bronze, now I will have to be real picky what I trade them for :D

Edited by Frozen Buns

Update on the second run of gold relief coins...they won't be done until late next week (around December 21). Also, the matching pins have not arrived yet. We'll ship all the back orders as soon as we have the items to ship.

All other orders for 2008 bronze and silver coins or other coins received during the past week will be shipped this weekend.

While the gold and gold relief versions of the coins are sold out, there are still plenty of solid bronze and solid silver coins and matching geopins remaining.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

The second (and final) run of the gold relief coins was finished yesterday. All coin and pin orders (including the backorders) received as of this morning have been packaged and shipped.

There are still plenty of bronze coins and bronze and silver pins. There are also several silver coins from the first run available.