Missing and stolen Caches

Kool Hand Luke

I checked his caches placed page. Apparently four out of five of his caches have been vandalized.

He says in his logs

"I happen to be in the area this morning and found my Cache in the parking lot destroyed and thought mabe Muggles so I moved on to check my other Cache hides and found another destroyed. So I know its not Muggles. Thanks to some pathetic individual or more than one I have choosen to Disable all but one of my Cache hides permanently. In the future all my Cache hides will be far more difficult to find and will be for premium members only."

I checked his caches placed page. Apparently four out of five of his caches have been vandalized.

He says in his logs

"I happen to be in the area this morning and found my Cache in the parking lot destroyed and thought mabe Muggles so I moved on to check my other Cache hides and found another destroyed. So I know its not Muggles. Thanks to some pathetic individual or more than one I have choosen to Disable all but one of my Cache hides permanently. In the future all my Cache hides will be far more difficult to find and will be for premium members only."

This does not concern just my Caches, It also involves a great many Caches in the general area that have been hit. Groundspeak has been notified. I just hope that everyone involved and those that may be affected by this will be more vigilant in the future.

To all concerned. Mabe once, twice even three times but multiple times for this to keep happening I think there is something going on. Beyond that just read the logs. I am more concerned about the saftey of others and I hope that this problem will be watched closely. Thankyou.

Thanks for explaining this cryptic message. I am not sure why the message had to be so cryptic unless you know who it is that has a grudge against you and are trying to send a private message in the public forum.

Sad to see these caches destroyed before they even were a month old. Unless this is happening to everyone's caches in the area I would say you have made someone mad and they are trying to get even.

A couple years ago we had a similar problem over here in south eastern washington therefore we all started hiding multis and offset caches. The 'hooligans' were not willing to 'work' to find the cache, they wanted to go right to it and vandalize it. Luckily they got bored with quickly.

To all concerned. Mabe once, twice even three times but multiple times for this to keep happening I think there is something going on. Beyond that just read the logs. I am more concerned about the saftey of others and I hope that this problem will be watched closely. Thankyou.

Thanks for explaining this cryptic message. I am not sure why the message had to be so cryptic unless you know who it is that has a grudge against you and are trying to send a private message in the public forum.

Sad to see these caches destroyed before they even were a month old. Unless this is happening to everyone's caches in the area I would say you have made someone mad and they are trying to get even.

A couple years ago we had a similar problem over here in south eastern washington therefore we all started hiding multis and offset caches. The 'hooligans' were not willing to 'work' to find the cache, they wanted to go right to it and vandalize it. Luckily they got bored with quickly.

This is not about anyone having a grudge against me, there is an induvidual who is going around stealing caches and or there contents in the Perice county area. I do think I know who is doing it as do many other cache owners, they have been reported and I hope that perhaps they could block there IP address as they continue to change there username acount on geocache.com. And what is really cryptic is the logs they have left on the caches they have hit. This not just about caches,I am also concerned about anyone running into this person especially children.

Edited by luke505

And what is really cryptic is the logs they have left on the caches they have hit. This not just about caches,I am also concerned about anyone running into this person especially children.

Wondering what sort of logs were being left by the vandals? I looked at your archived caches and didn't see anything that looked like it might be from them. While I wouldn't want to run into someone like this while out with my son (he'd probably freak out if he saw someone damaging a cache and *thats* probably where the danger would begin!) its one thing to damage/destroy a cache/property and another thing entirely to cause hard directly to individuals. I'm not trying to question your words of caution, they are appreciated, more just curious if there is some indication from logs I'm not seeing that one should worry about running into someone like this (more than just what seems obvious).

Sorry to hear about your caches... this is the sort of thing I just can't understand even if there was a grudge involved.

One thing that's worth pointing out. This would not be the first time we've had an area that was being targeted by a cache vandal. The one thing they are looking for is attention either on the cache pages or the forums. The best way to get them to stop is to refuse to play into their game. It's good to communicate with other cachers, but don't make to big a deal of it on the public pages. They will get bored with it soon enough.