Caching Types

The test was interesting - I'm an ISTP:

Introverted (I) 89% Extraverted (E) 11%

Sensing (S) 55% Intuitive (N) 45%

Thinking (T) 70% Feeling (F) 30%

Perceiving (P) 59% Judging (J) 41%

Caching especially appeals to my Introverted side - I'd rather be off on my own instead of having to deal with a bunch of people (you may note the lack of events attended on my profile).

I never considered myself to be a big risk taker and was surprised to see that my type are considered the risk takers. Then I saw what they called risky behavior and thought back on life & what I like to do, and I guess I'd have to agree with the test. Maybe I just considered the behavior/activity as 'normal', not risky.

INFP for me. I read about this a long time ago, I determined back then that I was INFP.

Took that quiz and ended up being INFP. Looks like I know myself pretty well. Is that a characteristic of INFPs?

How does that translate into caching, you ask? Well, I'm the type of cacher who goes after a cache not only to find the cache, but also to just enjoy my surroundings. I'm not at all picky when it comes to what "type" of cache I'm going after. I like caching because it gives me great stories to tell.

Geocaching--for me--is an excuse for me to be outdoors. It is an excuse to be alone. To think, to "regroup". I feel closer to God when I'm out in the midst of nature. I think geocaching promotes good health. When I'm caching in an urban environment, I like to people-watch. I like geocaching because I feel like it makes me unique among my friends. Most of my friends have never even heard of geocaching, and if they have, they wouldn't think of actually DOING it. Geocaching makes my life just a little more interesting and exciting. I like it when my life can be interesting and exciting. Anything to escape the boring monotony of everyday living.

I enjoy caching the most when I can do it with one or two other people. Its fun to be able to share an adventure with others.

INFP here. Surprised at how few "F" people there are. I would guess the results would be different for geocachers who frequent the forums and those who don't.

Agreed. There's really no way around that though. I was expecting more extraverts here, but there are just as many introverts.

INFP for me. I read about this a long time ago, I determined back then that I was INFP.

Took that quiz and ended up being INFP. Looks like I know myself pretty well. Is that a characteristic of INFPs?

Actually, yes. I've heard the NF types referred to as 'identity seeking', NT as 'knowledge seeking', SJ as 'security seeking' as SP as 'experience seeking'. In my experience, most people who know their MBTI off the top of their head are NF types.

I like geocaching because I feel like it makes me unique among my friends.

See? Identity seeking.

Keep 'em coming. Lurkers! Come out!

Edited by Uberquandary

ENFP.

The Inspirers.

:( Right on. I make my living teaching, representing, supporting, and promoting artists. Note that teaching is first. Helping an emerging artist quit their day job and evolve into a professional painter or photographer makes my day. I'm also supposed to be a well known artist but I think I'm too busy inspiring to remember to inspire myself. :D

Ah, now to geocache in an inspiring way....

After taking the test about nine times, it kept flipping between ISTP and ISTJ.

On the tenth time it said RUOK, or maybe it was UROK, let me try again...

Anyone who takes the test nine times is definitely a "J" type... You're an ISTJ

Ha, I took it twice! I'm an INFJ-twice, never really thought of myself as Introverted though?

I'm ISFJ. Suprised to see that I'm introverted as I would not consider myself that way at all, but I also don't thrive on tons of friends, so maybe it's true. After reading about the types, I think I really fit an INFJ more. Most of the "N" qualities fit me. Actually, looking back at the results I got a 50% on both the "s" and the "n", wonder why they chose the "s" for me then? Weird.

introverted doesn't necessarily mean shy or socially inept. It might mean nothing more than that you are comfortable with yourself and you like to explore and contemplate things on an individual basis sometimes.

The responses have slowed down so this is what I've got:

Between these forums, the local forums, and some emails soliciting results from individuals (which further skews things), there have been 51 cachers who have taken the test. The breakdown:

ISTJ-11 ISTP-5 INFJ-2 INTJ-3

ISFJ-3 ISFP-1 INFP-5 INTP-6

ESFJ-1 ESFP-1 ENFP-3 ENTP-3

ESTJ-5 ESTP-1 ENFJ-0 ENTJ-1

Which makes for the percentage of respondents:

ISTJ-21% ISTP-9% INFJ-3% INTJ-5%

ISFJ-5% ISFP-2% INFP-9% INTP-5%

ESFJ-2% ESFP-2% ENFP-5% ENTP-5%

ESTJ-9% ESTP-2% ENFJ-0 ENTJ-2%

Per keirsey.com, the US breakdown is something like this (it isn't terribly specific, saying things like 'certainly more than ten percent' and 'not more than three percent', so it does not add up to one hundred):

ISTJ-10+ ISTP-10 - INFJ-2 INTJ-2

ISFJ-13 ISFP-10 INFP-1 INTP-2

ESFJ-10+ ESFP-10+ ENFP-3 ENTP-2

ESTJ-10+ ESTP-5 ENFJ -3 ENTJ-2

I'll still gladly take more submissions, but observations at this point:

As predicted, there are more NT and NF types than in the general population. However, what really surprises me is the predominance of the ISTJs, although that makes sense now that I think about it. At 21% of respondents, that's twice the estimated national average. We also seem to have a disproportionately large number of introverts among us, which also makes sense.