About those coordinates...

MaplessInSeattle

So far, after placing a few caches, I have people telling me my coordinates in the woods are spot on.

I just recently placed my first urban cache, and a few people said my coordinates are off.

I went back to check them again, and perform cache maintenance, and my coordinates still showed as being spot on, off by about 4 feet.

Is there a reason for this?

I'm using a 76CSx, if that matters.

How far off?? if they are complaining about anything less than 35 feet - ignore them.

If there is an error - I would think it is likely a multipath error and there isn't much you do to correct it.

Also be aware that some complaints about coordinates being off (these days anyway) are based solely on a Google Earth image and the exact location of the cache. Not the actual coordinates.

How far off?? if they are complaining about anything less than 35 feet - ignore them.

If there is an error - I would think it is likely a multipath error and there isn't much you do to correct it.

Also be aware that some complaints about coordinates being off (these days anyway) are based solely on a Google Earth image and the exact location of the cache. Not the actual coordinates.

Well the coords for this particular cache... GC17PZE are the problem.

Every time I go, I get different coords, and some very good(and nice) cachers have reported different things. Some say middle of road, others say it's the fire hydrant.

The hydrant is about 100ft away from the building that the cache is located next to.

The majority of people have stated that the clues enough were able to lead them, in spite of coordinates. Should I just leave them, or should I change the coordinates to something that my GPS says is wrong??

This is a new problem for me, so I'm lost as to what protocol is. Sorry if I sound like a newbie but, oh, I am.

:laughing:

Averaged to about 250. And had WAAS.

I have never never found averaging to work very well...

I've talked to a few of my Garmin friends and they don't Avg either..

Biggest variable will be the current satellite configuration.

If I have a good spread of satellites I'll hold up the unit for a few minutes.

Mark a location then try walking to GZ from several directions.

The caches I have averaged are the ones I have gone back to adjust.

Edited by FunnyNose

I have to agree with FunnyNose about the current satellite configuration is the biggest variable that a lot of Geocachers overlook. When I set the GZ for our GPS Accuracy Games, I only mark them when we have good configuration. During the GeoLuau we not only measured the distance between the flag and GZ but also plotted the bearing. In the morning we got a cluster that you would expect with flags distributed evenly around GZ, In the afternoon they were all

off about ten feet off set to the side. I suspect the satellites were in a line. I have been told by a professional surveyor that they did

all there GPS work early in the morning. He also set our GZ for the

2006 Spring Fling.

If you are getting coordinate complaints you should keep going out for additional readings. We have also used Google maps to check coordinates and have been pretty happy with the results. At least they have kept us from being waaaay off.

Unfortunately the google maps are way off for the area, since it's new development.

Today I went out with another cacher to some of our other caches, and they said the coords were dead on. So it's just something about that building. I'm guessing it's this "multipathing" that I keep hearing.

When I head back to the area I'm going to just measure the distance to the cache from what everyone is saying the coordinates point to now, and then adjust on the computer for the difference, and place the new coordinates there. =)

Thank you to all that responded.