How to be FTF?

Skeeterbug247

Since you're a premium member, you can set up a notification for newly published nearby caches. Be prepared -- your plans might change at a moment's notice! :santa:

(Slightly off-topic: as an experiment last week, I set up notifications to send me email every time a cache was logged, found or not found, in a 10-mile radius of my home coords in the middle of the Twin Cities metro, just to see how much caching activity would taper off after a snow storm. It did, by the way, but still I wouldn't recommend this unless you want a BLIZZARD of email!)

Edited by firstbass

First sign up for instant notification, so when new caches are published you get an e-mail.

If you can, set it up so the notification goes to your cell phone so no matter where you are you

will know as soon as a cache is published.

Finally, be willing to go out at midnight, 4 am or in the middle of a workday or whenever the cache is published.

I'm relatively new to this and was wanting to know how you all learn of newly listed caches, and then be able to jump right on them once their listed?

There is a certain nanny nanny boo boo to being first. :santa:

Any tips, hints, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Our Seattle FTFs happened because of: Insomnia, the University Bridge going up and delaying OldBaldEagle, and insomnia.

As others have said, sign up for notifications, and be ready!to go. Also, to be FTF, you must convince yourself that it is indeed there, even if it may not.

Why wouldn't a cache be there? Sometimes cache owners have the cache published before they actually place the cache. This shouldn't be done, but I hear stories that it is. Also, the cache owner may have made a typo in his/her coordinates. This happens a lot. So, when you race out to be FTF, you may always have this doubt in the back of your mind that the cache isn't even there. And that may be enough to make you give up after 5 minutes, when if you searched for another 5, you would have had FTF!

Try caching at an event (and no, I'm not talking about temps). The two FTFs we've gotten have both been from the groups of permanent caches put out at events. That way, you have a bunch put out new at the same time.....head for one that's off the beaten path and away from the others. FTF hounds tend to go for the ones all grouped together so they can FTF on more.

I'm relatively new to this and was wanting to know how you all learn of newly listed caches, and then be able to jump right on them once their listed?

There is a certain nanny nanny boo boo to being first. :santa:

The FTF hounds that I know are very prepared and are blessed with very flexible schedules and understanding spouses. Their most effective tool are their web enabled phones. They are getting notifications on their mobile device and idon't need to waste time finding a PC to get the cache information. Obviously carrying your geo-bag with you containing GPS, flashlight, swag, and so on is also part of being prepared.

As others have said, sign up for notifications, and be ready!to go. Also, to be FTF, you must convince yourself that it is indeed there, even if it may not.

Why wouldn't a cache be there? Sometimes cache owners have the cache published before they actually place the cache. This shouldn't be done, but I hear stories that it is. Also, the cache owner may have made a typo in his/her coordinates. This happens a lot. So, when you race out to be FTF, you may always have this doubt in the back of your mind that the cache isn't even there. And that may be enough to make you give up after 5 minutes, when if you searched for another 5, you would have had FTF!

This is exactly what happened to me on this cache: GC133HR

Here is an excerpt from the FTF log.

FTF!!!

(And I "DESERVE" it! See details)

Wow!

I almost DNF'd the first stage on this one. It puts you in the middle of the lake! I checked my PDA and the posted coordinates were the same as the downloaded ones. Now what?

I made the assumption that the first island would be the one closest offshore. THAT was assuming a LOT, but I had nowhere else to turn. I paddled around the island looking for a micro, without any luck. Talk about looking for a needle in a haystack!

Then I was hit by a moment of inspiration. I assumed that the posted coordinates were off by one digit; but WHICH digit? I checked my GPSr to see where I was, and compared that to the coordinates of the first micro. If I changed the West coordinate from W 083° 38.691 to W 083° 38.791, it pointed about 200 feet to the other side of the island. I gave it a try, and SUCCESS! I couldn't believe it! The new coordinate was right on!

There is a certain nanny nanny boo boo to being first. :rolleyes:

If you want the FTF bad enough, here's a sure fire plan:

Create a second account. Hide a cache. Log FTF with your Skeeterbug247 account.

Edited by Great Scott!

After my initial excitement in hopes of a FTF, I soon realized that was not likely to happen. If you work or can't leave your house in the middle of the night, you can pretty much forget it. I got one FTF purely by happenstance followed by a shared FTF the same evening. I wasn't expecting it...I simply went for a cache that was newly listed on my route home from work and discovered the log unsigned. So as someone mentioned here, its best just to go caching and one day you might happen onto an unsigned log like I did.

Orrr...get your notifications and be prepared to fly at any time, day or nite...and drive reaaally fast! :rolleyes:

Also... search for unfound caches further away, in less populated areas. Tomorrow. I'll try for a FTF on a cache that was published on Nov 25. It's 56 miles from my home coordinates. Don't know why no one has logged it yet. If it's still unfound tomorrow morning when I get up, I'll head for it.

Edited by Great Scott!

There is a certain nanny nanny boo boo to being first. :rolleyes:

Take a hike . . . :unsure:

Seriously, most of the FTFs I have gotten have been on semi-long hikes, in an area quite a distance away from the big metropolitan area.