TB Sig Items

simpjkee

I've noticed on some TB's lately that on the chain there is a laminated card proudly proclaiming that "so and so has moved your TB". At first I was confused thinking that so and so was the TB owner but then I found a few other TB's in the area with the same laminate. Seems some people attach sig items t TB's they move.

I'm not down with this. I can totally understand if the TB owner asks others to add hitchhikers to the TB then it is cool. But to add your laminate (that sometimes is quite bigger than the TB itself) to every TB you move IMO takes away from the TB itself.

I can understand sig items in caches but as an owner, I have the option of going to my cache and removing them or allowing them. As a TB owner I don't really want some dudes "TB Sig Item" cluttering up my TB chain from 500 miles away ya know?

What are all of your opinions on this?

I think no one should be adding or removing anything without the owner's express permission.

Whenever I come across one of these... items, I contact the bug owner and ask them if they would like me to remove it. Some do, some don't.

That's exactly what we do. We don't find it polite to attach something without asking the owner. Sometimes we bump into some TBs that don't have any passport attached. We mail the owner asking if he would like to have one. If so, we print one and attach it.

On one of my bugs I even say to not add tags or anything else to it. It did not work, or more likely they do not read all the information.

I have to admit when I first started caching and finding bugs I would see one with an additional tag on it and not think much about it. But more recently I've seen some with three or more tags on it, and it has been bothering me. I think I'll start doing what BlueDuece does on those that I see now.

Also another thing I've seen is when someone comes across a couple of similar bugs and attaches them together. I remember contacting the owners of one of those pairs I came across and splitting them up.

I'm curious to see the response on this thread. I know somebody who does this and I've been somewhat ambivalant about it.

These threads usually run a tad negative on the practice.

I personally don't understand folk's need to control the lives of their TBs. They should be happy that someone wanted to take good care of their bug in the first place.

I think of these items as a way for folks to identify with the TBs they move and maybe as a poorman's limpet TB of sorts. In the Case of MaxB, with OVER 11,300 TBs moved, it may be a way to know what he has already moved. Whatever floats ya. It makes no difference to me.

I'm happy to have a MaxB tag on at least 2 of my bugs. I'd be ticked if anyone took it upon themselves to remove them. They are a nifty record of the TBs journey.

I personally don't attach anything to TBs at present, but if the TB has a pouch or a compartment, I'll put one of my sig coins in there. :laughing:

I've heard of some doing this so the know from a glance if they've already had it. I've come across a couple steady ones. Apparently, the ones who do this have come across A LOT of Bugs! - I mean A LOT!!!

"I think of these items as a way for folks to identify with the TBs they move and maybe as a poorman's limpet TB of sorts. In the Case of MaxB, with OVER 11,300 TBs moved, it may be a way to know what he has already moved."

Hum . . .

And yes, I would be honored if they put one on one of mine :laughing:

If you come across a bug of mine with one of those tags on it, please do not remove it. It's a part of the bugs history.

I could see it being a problem if everybody added a tag to every bug that passes through their hands but as far as I know only a couple of people do, so it doesn't bother me. Especially since they move thousands of bugs thousands of miles :lol: any of my bugs would be proud to carry the tag :laughing:

I'm curious to see the response on this thread. I know somebody who does this and I've been somewhat ambivalant about it.

I personally don't understand folk's need to control the lives of their TBs. They should be happy that someone wanted to take good care of their bug in the first place.

Putting your nonsense on my TB is not taking good care of my TB. That is defacing my TB.

just like trashing up my cache only that I can maintain my cahe. I can't maintain my TB. Their nonsense is being placed without my consent and against my will.

Edited by simpjkee

You can post a note on your TB page asking the next person that moves it to remove the added tag. If everyone started doing this, TBs will no longer fit in caches. I don't want anything added to my own Travel Bugs either, but it also depends on what is being added. Laminated tag? No thanks. It might make people think the other person was the TB owner. I have in the past asked an owner if I could add something that had a lot of meaning to the TB's purpose and was given the OK. That was a personal thing between the TB owner, myself and the person who gave me the item to add to the TB. It's just nice to ask permission first.

I've noticed on some TB's lately that on the chain there is a laminated card proudly proclaiming that "so and so has moved your TB". At first I was confused thinking that so and so was the TB owner but then I found a few other TB's in the area with the same laminate. Seems some people attach sig items t TB's they move.

I'm not down with this. I can totally understand if the TB owner asks others to add hitchhikers to the TB then it is cool. But to add your laminate (that sometimes is quite bigger than the TB itself) to every TB you move IMO takes away from the TB itself.

I can understand sig items in caches but as an owner, I have the option of going to my cache and removing them or allowing them. As a TB owner I don't really want some dudes "TB Sig Item" cluttering up my TB chain from 500 miles away ya know?

You may try adding a note to request the next finder remove the tags, or contact finders directly and ask the same. you may also contact the tag attacher and ask that they not bog down your bug next time

I am really not comfortable with this practice. If everyone (or even a large fraction of cachers) added a laminated card to every TB, it would not take long before TBs would look like Traveling Rolodexes.

I say don't add or remove from a TB without the owner's instructions.

I think of these items as a way for folks to identify with the TBs they move and maybe as a poorman's limpet TB of sorts. In the Case of MaxB, with OVER 11,300 TBs moved, it may be a way to know what he has already moved. Whatever floats ya. It makes no difference to me.

I'm happy to have a MaxB tag on at least 2 of my bugs. I'd be ticked if anyone took it upon themselves to remove them. They are a nifty record of the TBs journey.

Wow, MaxB on the River has an impressive list of trackables found!

I personally LOVE the idea of tagging bugs. I released a bug recently whose GOAL was to be tagged by MaxB. I also ran across a very nice coin type tag by Markie and Joanie that I loved as well, and contemplated making one myself. The expense chased me away, but apparently from reading this thread it would not be a welcome thing. I really like the idea, though, and think it adds to the history and sense of community on the bugs. I think it is awesome when I find a bug with a tag on it. It makes it special. But whatever floats your boat.

I personally LOVE the idea of tagging bugs. I released a bug recently whose GOAL was to be tagged by MaxB. I also ran across a very nice coin type tag by Markie and Joanie that I loved as well, and contemplated making one myself. The expense chased me away, but apparently from reading this thread it would not be a welcome thing. I really like the idea, though, and think it adds to the history and sense of community on the bugs. I think it is awesome when I find a bug with a tag on it. It makes it special. But whatever floats your boat.

I think you might be surprised how many bug owners would agree with you. I just don't think finders should assume owners don't need to be involved with changes made to their bug.

I think you might be surprised how many bug owners would agree with you. I just don't think finders should assume owners don't need to be involved with changes made to their bug.

I would feel honored if MaxB or whoever else added their tag to my traveler. For me, it's a way of seeing a visual history of who has had my traveler. Now if everyone that came across one of my trackables did that, I'm honestly not so sure how I would feel about that though. :D

I could understand having finders sign the bug, but adding laminated cards? It is just not practical on a large scale. Can you imagine if even 20 people added tags? It would soon become unwieldy.

I agree. Do not hang stuff on TBs that are not yours. I can tell who moved it on the log page and do not

need junk haning off my TB. To me signature items are for trading and to leave in caches to show you

have been there besides signing the log. I am the type of cacher that will grab a sig item from a cache

and leave one of mine for some one to grab if they like.

i understand some prefer their TB clean and some like the stories of whatever positive happens with the TB.

in my first (and currently only ) TB i specifically suggested other bugs can tag along.

Carpe TDM biker bug

Current GOAL: I'm a motorcycle rider and as such I would like this bug to travel the world on his TDM, meeting up with other bikers, even hooking up with other biker bugs to travel around the world together, just bring your TB passport give it a bike and hook up, plenty of room left on the paracord. Some pictures from the world on other bikes, at meetings or just funny shots would be greatly appreciated.