Electronic Cache

I want to place an electronic cache in my area. My desire is that the cacher would drive up and park in a certain area. They would then tune something such as a police scanner or a car radio to a frequency and listen to a message. The message might be coordinates for the next stage. I'm looking for two things:

1) A good way to record a message and get it to play back continuously. Obviously, a battery operated device would not work. I would also prefer that it not hook to a computer and make the computer stay powered up 24/7.

2) I need a low power transmitter folks can tune in to. I would prefer the ease of an AM or FM that you could tune on a car radio, but am open to other options.

In an ideal situation, the device with the message could also transmit it, or possibly a "line out" on the message device and a "line in" on the transmitter so the two are hooked together without the possibility of interference.

Sounds like a cool idea. Most people probably don't own scanners, so AM or FM would be the best way to get the most cachers to participate. I have seen videos online of Christmas light displays synchronized with music that is transmitted on low-power FM. You might search for hardware used for those displays to get ideas of how to broadcast your message.

Good luck with it.

Edited by steve p

They used to have this thing called a "talking house" around here.

Thanks, but those things go for $200 and up. You know anyone wanting to part with one cheap, have them give me a shout.

If I played an endless loop cassette over and FRS frequency, I can get by with stuff I have on hand. I was hoping for a better solution than replying on old technology like cassettes, though.

If I played an endless loop cassette over and FRS frequency, I can get by with stuff I have on hand. I was hoping for a better solution than replying on old technology like cassettes, though.

The old cassette technology would be interesting (but both fun and irritating at the same time)... how many of us still have a walkman? Can you hide the tape as a stage and tell people to either bring a walkman or drive to the cache in their old Chevy? Those older cars still have tape players, right?

Or perhaps you could buy an old R2D2 unit from those sand people and beam a hologram of yourself explaining the next cache location.

Edited by meralgia

I absolutely love this, but the transmitter and recorder would both need power supplies, the recorder would need a speaker, etc. Would this not be $200 to $300 to build?? Hmmm.....

There are cheaper/shorter time voice kits available. Do you need a speaker if its broadcast directly over fm? Any electric wiz guys know this?

There are cheaper/shorter time voice kits available. Do you need a speaker if its broadcast directly over fm? Any electric wiz guys know this?

The voice recorder either has to hook direct to the FM transmitter via cable or the recorder would have a speaker to play and the transmitter would pick up the recorder on a microphone.

I want to place an electronic cache in my area. My desire is that the cacher would drive up and park in a certain area. They would then tune something such as a police scanner or a car radio to a frequency and listen to a message. The message might be coordinates for the next stage. I'm looking for two things:

1) A good way to record a message and get it to play back continuously. Obviously, a battery operated device would not work. I would also prefer that it not hook to a computer and make the computer stay powered up 24/7.

2) I need a low power transmitter folks can tune in to. I would prefer the ease of an AM or FM that you could tune on a car radio, but am open to other options.

In an ideal situation, the device with the message could also transmit it, or possibly a "line out" on the message device and a "line in" on the transmitter so the two are hooked together without the possibility of interference.

This one was pretty interesting: GCG88H FRS Activated Prototype

Edited by coggins

Something like the kits mentioned above will work connected together. You do not want to use speakers, cassettes or any other things with motors or amplifiers. The bigger problem is power over the long term. In the field (with no AC power source) you will need solar charger and batteries.

I absolutely love this, but the transmitter and recorder would both need power supplies, the recorder would need a speaker, etc. Would this not be $200 to $300 to build?? Hmmm.....

According to the web page the recorder can be connected to their transmitter. (that sounds like no speaker required.) I would think they would have some instructions on how to do that.

If the cache is where it would be difficult to make regular runs to change batteries, I bet some type of solar power would work. Maybe even a transformer and 110V.

As for costing $200 to $300. to build, if you bought them from that web site, it would be less than $80. for both. (Plus the cost of shipping and handling, and whatever power supply you come up with.)

Sounds like a great idea, if all the little kinks can be worked out.