Would You stop and say Hello?

I Travel by train quite a bit and this Christmas I'm off to Cumbria via Manchester. If you where on a train and spotted a geocaching logo on someone, would you stop and say hello?

Yes of course :) I stop and say hello to other people who look like they're geocaching, i.e. walking round graveyards, appearing from bushes etc. and then find out they have no idea what I'm talking about <_<

Yes. Twice. Once it went well, once not so well.

How did it go not so well? I would be surprised to find anyone involved in a hobby of mine not being sociable if I met them in a different situation. Well you get a few chess players that are odd :santa: , but apart from that....

It doesn't surprise me that some caches aren't particularly social, sometimes at events when knowing who someone is (when I've never met them before) I've gone and introduced myself only for that person to look at me like I'm some kind of lunatic.

Yes. Twice. Once it went well, once not so well.

How did it go not so well? I would be surprised to find anyone involved in a hobby of mine not being sociable if I met them in a different situation. Well you get a few chess players that are odd :lol: , but apart from that....

At the time it was all OK but since then they haven't been caching again! And its been nearly four months! :laughing:

Mike

;) Ive done it loads of times,

usually when i see sonebody looking around in the undergrowth, i walk past saying, "have you found it yet?"

usually to be met with blank stares :lol: .

once i was passing through the cutting on my boat just beyond Gnosall tunnel on the Shroppie union canal and saw a family searching the side of the cutting for a cache and i yelled from the boat, really made them jump, but i managed to point them in the right direction as tree cover is very bad there. :(

worth trying cause you never know who you'll meet, met some great people, and its always been a good chat.

but we care a friendly bunch up north :laughing:

Of course! ... I've made a few people jump with a a cheery "Have you found it yet?"

I've not spotted anyone with a lapel pin, badge or sticker yet. However if I do I'll adopt a "village nutter" persona and approach them .... "psssst ... wanna buy a 35mm film canister, or an ammo box" :laughing:

Cust.

Its usually fairly easy to guess if others are caching or not, but we will speak to anyone and make a point of saying "Hello" to others when out walking.

If we think others are cachers we usually say something like "Have you found it?" or make sure the GPSr is visible, its usually clipped to the shouler strap on our rucksak, and that nearly always does the trick.

I must say we've usually had a great natter with those we have met, or perhaps the cachers around here are a just friendly bunch.

Point taken about Events though, we've only been to a few and they can be a bit daunting, guess we need to attend more and get better known............

H&L

Its usually fairly easy to guess if others are caching or not, but we will speak to anyone and make a point of saying "Hello" to others when out walking.

If we think others are cachers we usually say something like "Have you found it?" or make sure the GPSr is visible, its usually clipped to the shouler strap on our rucksak, and that nearly always does the trick.

Point taken about Events though, we've only been to a few and they can be a bit daunting, guess we need to attend more and get better known............

H&L

Totally agree with the "say hello to anybody" when out walking part as i was taught this was being polite! (not such a good idea in south london!) With regards to the GPSr showing i thought this was a foolproof idea until i came a cropper doing a cache in Richmond Park when it didn't work quiet so well! But on the whole i think thats the best idea especially when walking round in aimless circles trying to spot the cache!

When it comes to events, although i am new to this game i turned up to the "Its payback time folks" event in london earlier in the year. Didn't know a soul there but after a couple of pints i started talking to somebody who suggested the best policy was to just walk in and say hello to the first person you see and then to everybody else! It worked, although i didn't talk to all the people there everybody i did speak to was great and made me feel really comfortable. After all we've all got something in common! :rolleyes: