Satmap Active 10

screwtape

Sorry if this is an existing topic but i haven't been able to find it as I seem to be having trouble using the search function.

I was interested to know if anyone was using a Satmap Active 10 and if so how good is it? I'm not normally an early adopter and would like to know how this compairs to other more established units already on the market as far as accuracy and ease if use is concerned

The main reason I'm interested in this unit if because of the promise of detailed OS maps for the UK, but I would also be interested to hear from any Mac users about their experience with this unit

The search function on this board is known to suck the paint off the walls of your house...Just dont even try.

I wish they would upgrade this board to something better.

Sorry I have no information on your topic, however.

Sorry if this is an existing topic but i haven't been able to find it as I seem to be having trouble using the search function.

I was interested to know if anyone was using a Satmap Active 10 and if so how good is it? I'm not normally an early adopter and would like to know how this compairs to other more established units already on the market as far as accuracy and ease if use is concerned

The main reason I'm interested in this unit if because of the promise of detailed OS maps for the UK, but I would also be interested to hear from any Mac users about their experience with this unit

thanks guys, that thread is indeed long looks like what I wanted to see :D

Have been using one of these for a few weeks now. From my experiences the unit:

does not wish to work in the cold nor in the damp and this is said to be waterproof;

takes an eternity to lock onto a GPS signal and does not like being anywhere near an obstruction;

the buttons on the unit are difficult to operate wearing gloves or when you have cold fingers;

when you have a SD card in situ it very quickly fails to recognise the card in wet weather

Overall not impressed. Its a lot of money to pay just to have OS maps (extra cost) on a GPS. Give me a Garmin anytime

I'm currently using a satmap Active 10. The mapping detail on O/S is good but the map detail becomes cluttered in urban areas. The main issue I have found is the device locks up for no apparent reason requiring you to take the batteries out to establish a reset after which all user setting are lost. I sold my Garmin e-trex Vista CX to buy this unit and it was probably a mistake.

The Software is a long way short of intuitive and needs a great deal of patience to master it. For example if you create a POI folder and place Geocache references within that folder i.e. GC No.s when you delete all the GC references the folder also deletes.

The SD card Mapping is very expensive in the UK £95 for one county at 1/25