Just bought new Garmin eTrex HCX...

TeacherTrekker

Thats a very good handheld GPS, and you won't get one for much less that you really wouldn't regret soon. Used ones are not going to be as sensitive and very likely won't have a USB connection (most computers no longer have serial ports like the old GPS receivers used). You did good.

As for learning to use it, it wouldn't hurt to try to get some help from an experienced cacher, if possible, but it can be figured out from the manual too.

Hey, don't freak out yet! It'll be okay.

If nothing else, when I come home I'll try and help you with it, if you want the help. I know I'm just as inexperienced with GPS as you are, but there's loads of stuff online giving suggestions for how to set up GPS optimally for geocaching, and I'm sure between the two of us, the manual, and online resources, it won't be so hard. Just don't let it overwhelm you.

I have been Geocaching since 2001 and have owned a lot of GPSs and I think the Etrex Vista HCx is the best I have had. But it took me a while to get use to it. I also have the 76S and 76C which have the Quad Helix antenna and need to be held upright. The HCx with it's patch antenna works best horizontal. With the compass activiated I was holding it vertical and the needle was crazy. Now that I hold it

horizontal it works perfect. I have never had the HCx lose a satellite lock. I have all of North America on a 2 GB chip. This is the GPS I have been waiting for. I am learning things about it from the forums every day such as the back light and how to keep it on.

You made the right decision and will learn how to use and enjoy it.

Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT

I assume you mean either the Vista HCX or Legend HCX. You will be hard pressed to find a better all around unit.

Stick with it and use the quick start manual to learn the basics. Marking and editing waypoints and navigating to them. Then as you become more comfortable you can learn the more advanced features.

I just upgraded to this gps and I am in love. I spent quite a bit of time just playing with it to familiarize myself with the way it works. Just give it some time it is a great machine. If you can spare the bucks it is a huge advantage to add the US Streets and maps software. I did this and the possibilities are endless.

I just upgraded to this gps and I am in love. I spent quite a bit of time just playing with it to familiarize myself with the way it works. Just give it some time it is a great machine. If you can spare the bucks it is a huge advantage to add the US Streets and maps software. I did this and the possibilities are endless.

Would Garmin City Navigator (North America) be eqivalent to the US streets and maps? (p.s. thanks for the encouragement!)

T

Thanks to everyone who gave much needed encouragement! I am glad it is not just me (about the manual)...I was feeling pretty dumb. I am so anxious to get started but dont know exactly how to work the thing yet. I am obsessed with playing with it! Husband is giving me strange, worried looks... It is quite a change from the car model I had before I exchanged.

Special thanks to my new geobuddy and daughter (Fizzyarrows) for her encouragement. She is a whiz with electronics and I cant wait for her to come home from college (Memphis) for Christmas so we can play! I love you Fizzy!

T

quote: Would Garmin City Navigator (North America) be eqivalent to the US streets and maps? (p.s.

Yes, you want to get Garmin Mapsource City Navigator DVD, North Americs NT (010-10816-00). I bought mine from Amazon.Com.$117.44. You will also need a 2 gb microchip which will hold all of North America. With that map you can get turn by turn routing for all of North America. It doesn't have voice like your car GPS but does alert you to turns etc. I also got the Gaarmin Carrying Case for $10.99. Good Luck

quote: Would Garmin City Navigator (North America) be eqivalent to the US streets and maps? (p.s.

Yes, you want to get Garmin Mapsource City Navigator DVD, North Americs NT (010-10816-00). I bought mine from Amazon.Com.$117.44. You will also need a 2 gb microchip which will hold all of North America. With that map you can get turn by turn routing for all of North America. It doesn't have voice like your car GPS but does alert you to turns etc. I also got the Gaarmin Carrying Case for $10.99. Good Luck

Thanks so much! I will check it out!

T

Thanks all.....much needed advice and support! I am liking my new Garmin more and more! It is very handy that caches can be downloaded straight to Garmin gps's from this site.....nice bonus!

T

Hi there - a fellow teacher here - (the Annie half of Annie & PB)

We have had our eTrex Legand HCx for six days now, and we are really happy with it!! The quick start guide was useful and a brief demo from the assistant at the shop where we got it. Mostly though we have just played with it and got more and more idea of what we and it can do as we've gone along. I've glanced at the main instruction book, but it doesn't really seem too easy to follow, so I haven't really bothered with it that much.

Read one of your other threads too - an apple type signature item would be cool - we have polar bears for ours (For hubby - the PB half of Annie & PB!)

When you become a Premium Member for only $3.00 a month, or $30.00 for an entire year, you can create Pocket Queries. Each of those can have up to 500 caches and you can get five per day. To handle all that data, many people use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). You can send the waypoints to your GSPr from GSAK, and, if you have a PDA, you can Export the cache information from GSAK in the correct format for your Palm or PPC device.

The getting started is not helpful in the least, I have read through much of that and I didn't see the answer.

The pocket cache part mentioned in the other reply is helpful, I'll have to look into that part. 3.00/month is well worth it.

I am not finding much love on the getting started area either...well, or Im just that clueless! Just bought the Vista HCx. And I found the manual seriously wanting. I got the premium account on here. I downloaded Google Earth (someone told me I could see all the caches next to my house if I did that -haven't figured that out either). Did manage to download a waypoint to my GPS but its just a symbol in a big yellow field -no topo definitions or landmarks, etc! Do I have to download a topo map or something to my GPS? I thought the Garmin would come with "basemap?" Someone mentioned the 2GB microchip but how/where do I get the maps to download it to the chip?? I went to Garmin and they had DVDs but were $100. Anything cheaper!?

I thought this would be a good thing to do with my boys and with our Scout Den.

Welcome to the Forums! :(

Now that you are a Premium Member, you need to learn about Pocket Queries. Then, check out GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). With its "smart name" feature, the waypoint on your GPSr can have useful information, like part of the cache name, the Type of the cache, the Size of the container, and other information. You can even put the Hint in the comments section of the waypoint.

The maps need to be purchased separately. Topo maps do not have Unlock Codes, so you can get those used on eBay for less money. The City Navigator auto-routing maps do have Unlock Codes and can only be put on one GPS unit. Sometimes you can get a better deal on those in a combo package with the beanbag auto-mount and cigarette-lighter adapter.

This will be a very good thing for you to do with your boys and the Scout Den. :D