Complete newbie question on caches

Gimpy Ric

Ok, I'm an Amaeteur Radio Op. so my address is all over the net, no biggie. I'm also in a wheelchair, and would like to put a cache in my yard. Is this a bad idea? I could check it often that way, and it would be a 1/1. Is this practical, I'm thinking of putting a 25mm Ammo can (large) in the ground up to the lid, close to a sidewalk in my front yard or driveway.

Please Advise, and TIA!

Ric

Ok, I'm an Amaeteur Radio Op. so my address is all over the net, no biggie. I'm also in a wheelchair, and would like to put a cache in my yard. Is this a bad idea? I could check it often that way, and it would be a 1/1. Is this practical, I'm thinking of putting a 25mm Ammo can (large) in the ground up to the lid, close to a sidewalk in my front yard or driveway.

Please Advise, and TIA!

Ric

If you don't mind the traffic generated this could be a great conversation and group (friends) expander. Nice idea. I had the same question myself and it is comforting to know others have the same line of thinking.

I have a new travel coin that is quite personalized. Let me know what you are going to do and I'll send you one to put in your cache (and one for yourself as well). KKringle :lol:

Well, Sally the wiener dog might lick them to death, but hey, thanks for the heads up! I was thinking about having them ring this large bell that is mounted to my back deck, but I'll move it near, but not at the cache. Just ask them in the log to rig the bell before they leave.

And I still wonder why my nieghbors don't talk to me :D:lol::lol: Just Kidding.

Ric

Edited by Gimpy Ric

Well, Sally the wiener dog might lick them to death, but hey, thanks for the heads up! I was thinking about having them ring this large bell that is mounted to my back deck, but I'll move it near, but not at the cache. Just ask them in the log to rig the bell before they leave.

And I still wonder why my nieghbors don't talk to me :D:lol::lol: Just Kidding.

Ric

I would suggest that you let the neighbors know what you're doing, and perhaps add that to the cache page. It has been my experience that many cachers are not comfortable doing yard caches, but I'm sure you'll make some new friends from those that do stop by. Good luck!

(You could take a lead from the llama multi cache and train Sally the wiener dog to run to the bell when its rung. Get the coordinates to the 2nd stage stamped on a dog tag... LOL!)

That's a great idea Ric, you'll probably get to meet alot of wonderfully strange people! I've seen some 1/1 caches that were wheelchair accessable, and although limited there's no reason not to enjoy the hobby and all that goes with it. Be sure to look for local events that are great places to meet the people that log caches in your area. I'm sure you be made to feel welcome.

To support what some of the others are saying, here's one local cache that is in a back yard, just off of an alley. It is even reasonably well hidden from most of the houses in the neighborhood, and has also been around long enough where I'm certain the neighbors all are aware of it.

But as you can see by the logs, many people have passed once they saw where the cache is: Dinner with Lewis & Clark

(On the other hand, look at how many people felt awkward, but found and logged it anyway :lol: )

Edited by knowschad

Is there something particularly interesting in your front yard (other than Sally the wiener dog)? I usually like to go to places that are marked by something interesting - either historically or a particular great vista.

I guess it depends on why you go caching. When I place a cache, I put myself in the place of the seeker...

A cacher is going to spend $3 per gallon and maybe drive 15-20 miles one-way to find a new cache. At 30 mpg, that's about $4 just in gas. Then there's the time going out and finding the cache, etc. With all that, are they going think it was worth it to come and visit a front yard?

If the answer is yes, then by all means - place the cache.

Edited by Markwell

Why do so many first-time placers want to either...

1. put the cache 20 feet from their front door, or
  2. put the cache 700 miles away, and let a relative take care of it?

Gee, sorry, but I'm paralysed from the neck down, hence the 1/1. And I'm part owner of 500 acres 100 miles from my house, with relatives living there. :D:lol::lol:

Remember, the glass is half full.

look at my zip code, there are caches 0.7 miles from my house. I live in the 'burbs, and my neighbors are cool, I know them.

ZIP = 35242

Edited by Gimpy Ric

I have a cache in my front yard. I placed it there with the sole purpose of having our local cachers come by and say hello. The love it...I've met alot of people that I've only know by their logs over the last few years. It's been great for me, but I'm sure it's not for everyone.

I put in the description that this cache is off limits before 7:00 AM and after dusk on any day. I don't want people snooping around with flashlights,,,,that might be a problem. If I go way on vacation, I simply will put a temp disable on it while I'm gone...simple as that.

If you want to do it...just do it..it's up to you.

Why do so many first-time placers want to either...

1. put the cache 20 feet from their front door, or
  2. put the cache 700 miles away, and let a relative take care of it?

Gee, sorry, but I'm paralysed from the neck down, hence the 1/1. And I'm part owner of 500 acres 100 miles from my house, with relatives living there. :(:):D

Remember, the glass is half full.

look at my zip code, there are caches 0.7 miles from my house. I live in the 'burbs, and my neighbors are cool, I know them.

ZIP = 35242

don't mind posters like that. I have learned that there are always those that cannot avoid sarcasm long enough to give constructive advice. If you hide it, they will come. just remember to let your neighbors on all sides know, and they can have fun with it too

Edited by cashking63

I did one like that. The home owner enjoyed chatting with all of her grandson's 'friends'. No nearby neighbors to worry about. Make sure that you are very explicit, so no one wanders into a neighbor's yard.

Then again, I did one cache on a stop sign in front of the cache owner's parents' house. I am told (second hand info only) that the cache owner sent 'friendly' e-mails to all female cachers who found the cache.

There is a reason that people are leery of such caches.

Let's see, on the + side of the cache placement:

1) There's no question of permission granted for placement.

2) There's no problem with maintenance.

3) There's no question that this 1/1 listing is definitely wheelchair accessible.

4) There is an amazing probability that you will meet new people.

5) You will most definitely hear from all the nay-sayers here on the forums about how stupid your idea is. That should give you a better idea of which posters to ignore in the future. :(

don't mind posters like that. I have learned that there are always those that cannot avoid sarcasm long enough to give constructive advice. If you hide it, they will come. just remember to let your neighbors on all sides know, and they can have fun with it too

I agree with this 100%. That post was uncalled for.

I think in your case it would be OK to place it in your yard. If it was in my area I certainly would go looking for it.

Edited by lacomo

.....I'm thinking of putting a 25mm Ammo can (large) in the ground up to the lid, close to a sidewalk in my front yard or driveway.

Please Advise, and TIA!

Ric

Just and FYI as I did not see anyone else point this comment out. That sounds buried to me. As in something pointy was used to place. This type is not allowed under current guidelines. If I misunderstood the comment then just disregard.

Otherwise if you don't mind what others have pointed out then go ahead and place the cache. I have wasted gas and hunted much worse caches then that one. Though I generally shy away caches in people's front yards unless clearly explained and visible from off the property.