Suggestions please

k_statealan

My fiancee and I are looking at a honeymoon in the Seattle/Vancouver area next July. Don't know any more specific details of what parts as of yet. I'm looking for suggestions of things to do in that area that time of year, both urban and in nature. (Hikes of <3 miles, please). I know obviously things like the Pike Place market that are in all the guide books. Looking for some of the more out of the way places and good deals on attractions. We'd like to do some whale watching (don't see a lot of them in Kansas). Anyone know the best deal on one of those trips? Budget is somewhat limited, but we'd also like to enjoy ourselves while there.

Also, we want at least one really nice dinner while there. Anyone know how hard it is to get a reservation at the Space Needle?

And to truly make this caching related, any caching-history related caches in that area? I've gotten the oldest active cache, which is out in western Kansas, and it would be neat to add some more historical caches. Does the Groundspeak office have one nearby?

Thanks!

My fiancee and I are looking at a honeymoon in the Seattle/Vancouver area next July. Don't know any more specific details of what parts as of yet. I'm looking for suggestions of things to do in that area that time of year, both urban and in nature. (Hikes of <3 miles, please). I know obviously things like the Pike Place market that are in all the guide books. Looking for some of the more out of the way places and good deals on attractions. We'd like to do some whale watching (don't see a lot of them in Kansas). Anyone know the best deal on one of those trips? Budget is somewhat limited, but we'd also like to enjoy ourselves while there.

Also, we want at least one really nice dinner while there. Anyone know how hard it is to get a reservation at the Space Needle?

And to truly make this caching related, any caching-history related caches in that area? I've gotten the oldest active cache, which is out in western Kansas, and it would be neat to add some more historical caches. Does the Groundspeak office have one nearby?

Thanks!

Just a helpful hint. Save your money and DON'T eat at the Space Needle. It's expensive enough just to go up in it and look around. The mediocre food is overpriced.

The Experience Music Project is way cool. You should try to get there if you can.

Thanks!

Just a helpful hint. Save your money and DON'T eat at the Space Needle. It's expensive enough just to go up in it and look around. The mediocre food is overpriced.

The Experience Music Project is way cool. You should try to get there if you can.

What week in July?

If you don't mind traveling a little further to the North, I'd suggest going to Orcas Island for the following reasons:

Scenic ferry ride through the San Juan Islands

Whale watching excursions that start and end at Orcas

Camping (if that's what you like) or stay at the Resario Resort. You might even find a beach house to rent there.

Hiking at Moran State Park

Drive to Mt Constitution the highest point in the San Juan Islands for a magnificent view

14 geocaches on Orcas Island to hunt. Many more geocaches on other nearby islands

Beachcombing

Congrats on the impending nuptials! :lol:

We have several "must-do" caches in the area, including Groundspeak Headquarters (downtown Seattle). It's part of a Northwestern troika that includes one of two remaining APE caches, Mission 9: Tunnel of Light (Snoqualmie-area hike an hour east of Seattle), and the Original Stash Tribute Plaque (near Portland, OR, about 3.5 hours south).

On the scenic side, our most famous cache is Ebey Bluffs, part of a 3.5-mile beach hike (3 caches on the loop, including my Perego's Lagoon) up on beautiful Whidbey Island, a couple hours north of Seattle. Amazing views over the water to the San Juan Islands, Olympic peninsula, even Vancouver Is in Canada.

All of these and more are on our NW Classics bookmark list, which was created for visitors like you. :lol: You might also want to email Team Shydog, who visited here from Indiana this past summer; his itinerary was similar to yours (minus the honeymoon) and he could probably give you a fellow Midwesterner's opinion on the local highlights.

Edited by hydnsek

Thanks!

What week in July?

Here it comes.......assimilation!!

Thanks!

What week in July?

Wedding is on the 12th, so probably the week after that.

We have several "must-do" caches in the area, including Groundspeak Headquarters (downtown Seattle). It's part of a Northwestern troika that includes one of two remaining APE caches, Mission 9: Tunnel of Light (Snoqualmie-area hike an hour east of Seattle), and the Original Stash Tribute Plaque (near Portland, OR, about 3.5 hours south).

You'll be kicking yourself for years if you miss this big PNW trifecta. People come from all over the country for them. The hike to the APE cache is more than your <3 mile preference (the Snoqualmie Tunnel alone is 2 miles long) but it's flat and you can bike it if you wish. You can stop for breaks at caches along the way and there's picnic tables to rest at when you emerge from the tunnel. You'll never forget the experience, and the APE cache isn't far beyond the tunnel.

You didn't say whether you're going to Vancouver WA or Vancouver CA, but Vancouver WA is just across the river from Portland, home of the Original Stash.

What's the story with the Geocaching HQ cache? Its archived and the map shows it in the middle of a lake. Do you have to make prior arrangements to visit there or something? Definitely have to do that one.

Looked at Snoqualmie Falls and we'd definitely like to go there. The APE is just a bonus!

As for the original cache plaque, it'd be great, but I doubt we'd have the time to head down that way.

Thanks for all your responses. If you have more, by all means keep them coming!

The Groundspeak Headquarters has coordinates out in the water, because it's listed as a Mystery/Puzzle cache. It is a Mystery, and it is archived, so that people cannot go there randomly without permission. Helps keep away the scary stalker people. :)

You can request to come and visit, as the cache page says, by using the contact address.

Like some others have said, a day trip to Whidbey Island definatley worth the visit if your willing to go a little out of your way. Deception Pass Bridge, Rosario Beach, Goose Rock, Mount Erie, and the famous Ebey Bluffs are all within the same general area, are very scenic, and nearly all of them are less than a half mile hike. If your interested, I can give you some more info if you'd like.

I am going to second the opinions on several prior suggestions, Snoqualmie Falls, San Juan Islands, and Whidbey Island. From my trip to Friday Harbor on San Juan Island this last summer, we were able to see Lime Kiln State Park, and watch the whales and the ensuing rush of boats from Victoria Canada, from rock cliffs a mile south of the SP, but you can also see them from the light house at the SP , and it was with out the cost of the charter, although its alot more iffy seeing them that way. Beautiful none the less. All great places!!!

Lime Kiln State Park is a beautiful place to visit regardless of whether you see whales from there (though it's noted as being one of the best places on land to catch a glimpse). I've never seen so many Eagles flying around!

I took a whale watching boat tour out of Friday Harbor last June and had an excellent opportunity to see the Orcas. I would like to do a kayaking tour, though I've heard the chances of seeing them are much lower when you go that way.

Whidbey Island is more than worth visiting and it does make an excellent daytrip. Deception Pass is one of my favorite places to visit in Washington.

I always highly recommend Mt. Rainier to people who are visiting - especially on a clear day. Paradise, while busy in the summer, offers some good introductory hikes for Mt. Rainier.

If you're into baseball at all, Safeco field is one of the best parks to see a game at and it's generally pretty easy to get the $7 tickets to Mariners games. :D That's where I spend a lot of my time during the Seattle summer.

When I first moved to Seattle I worked front desk at a hotel, so if you need any city tips like restaurants, transportation, tours, etc. just send me a message and I'll tell you what I know. :(

I looked at the tentative schedule for my Royals and was pleased to see they were playing Seattle late that week. I've always wanted to go to a road game. Too bad they're playing in KC. :(

That stinks!!!

I remember growing up, going to KC with my Dad to watch the Royals back in the Brett, Willie Wilson time frame, and for some reason we ALWAYS seemed to be playing the Mariners. I even was able to get a Mark Langston autograph on my glove down the third base line in Royals Stadium in the same day, that I caught an Alvin Davis line drive foul ball. Wouldn't you know it, years later, I would be calling the Mariners my home team. Not to mention the endless cold snowy trips up to KC to watch the Chiefs play the Seahawks.

I looked at the tentative schedule for my Royals and was pleased to see they were playing Seattle late that week. I've always wanted to go to a road game. Too bad they're playing in KC. :rolleyes:

Aww, that's too bad. One of my first baseball games was a Royals game in KC so I've always had a soft place in my heart for them! If there aren't any games while you're here, the stadium does have interesting tours. It's a fun way to see the locker rooms, suites and even step out on the field! It does look like there's a cool baseball related multicache by the stadium too.

:unsure:

My fiancee has given me permission to take a day and go fishing. Has always been a dream to do some saltwater fishing. Anyone know of or have any recommendations of guides in the area that will take a single. Found a few on Google, but just looking for any personal recommendations.

Also, reasonably priced seafood and Asian restaurants. Not really anyplace we'll need to be dressed any more than business casual. We'll be staying in the area near the Fauntleroy-Vashon Island Ferry station, but we'll be between there and downtown a couple times.

Unfortunately, it looks like the APE cache isn't going to be able to happen. Too many other things we want to do! Am planning on stopping by Groundspeak HQ, tho.

How saltwater do you want to get?

If you are talking about anything out in the actual ocean then I can't help you much. If you are okay with puttering around the Sound, which is salt water, then we might be able to find someone with a boat.

I was just looking at going out into the Sound. Its quicker and has calmer waters.

http://www.osf.com/

When I moved here I was told I had to go to The Old Spaghetti Factory ( link above ) and it was pretty good and CHEAP! Food, drink, bread, soup or salad, and dessert all included in one price mostly under $10. It's beautiful inside. You asked for seafood and asian, but =)~

My fiancee told me that we have to go there already. Like I'm going to say no to Italian!

How saltwater do you want to get?

If you are talking about anything out in the actual ocean then I can't help you much. If you are okay with puttering around the Sound, which is salt water, then we might be able to find someone with a boat.

I was just looking at going out into the Sound. Its quicker and has calmer waters.

I didn't want to offer anything up before talking to Mr. Misguided, which I just did. He has a boat and is always looking for an excuse to go fishing. We are in the south end and depending on the day and the weather he could take you out.

PM or email us through our profile for more details.