Not logging online?

In the past 10 days or so, I've had a few good days of hunting Caches as I drive the Big Truck around, now I have several days of logs to write, and find myself needing to spend hours and hours on the computer logging my finds, and trying to figure out which ones I found or didn't. It's almost enough to make me give up, and I'm sure I'll miss some of them. I just hope I don't get them mixed up badly enough to log finds on those I skipped.

In the past 10 days or so, I've had a few good days of hunting Caches as I drive the Big Truck around, now I have several days of logs to write, and find myself needing to spend hours and hours on the computer logging my finds, and trying to figure out which ones I found or didn't. It's almost enough to make me give up, and I'm sure I'll miss some of them. I just hope I don't get them mixed up badly enough to log finds on those I skipped.

Does anyone really need a reason? My kids often don't bother to log their finds. The fun for them is the hunt and spending time with their old man (OK I added that tidbit). They both have their own accounts and cache with me often but for them it's really not about the numbers.

For me though, I would prefer that when someone finds a cache I've placed they log their find to at least let me know that they've been there and the cache is still findable.

Does anyone really need a reason? My kids often don't bother to log their finds. The fun for them is the hunt and spending time with their old man (OK I added that tidbit). They both have their own accounts and cache with me often but for them it's really not about the numbers.

For me though, I would prefer that when someone finds a cache I've placed they log their find to at least let me know that they've been there and the cache is still findable.

I have things I leave in Caches that I want other players to be able to retreive, so I really like to complete my online logs. That way I can let everyone know where to find my BINGO! Cards and Raffle Tickets, besides I have no friends so I have to do something to feel like I belong in the world. If I don't log online no one will ever know I existed.

Do you have a laptop in your truck? If so, GSAK lets you write your log offline, then when you get online quickly copy & paste what you've written into the online log. That way you don't need an active internet connection to write your logs, you only need one to "post" them to the web site.

GSAK will also let you find caches along a route and print out a list of the ones you want to hit so you can just check them off as you find them. Much easier than trying to remember.

It's true, you hear a lot of folks say that caching gets them out of the house but I've heard few that talk about how much extra computer time it can generate. This is my beef with puzzle caches.. but that is another story.

There's a lot of ways to keep track of your finds in the field. The standard I've seen is an old palm (plenty of 20.00 ones on eBay) with cachemate. You just check a box and make a note if there's something you want to remember. My Garmin has a very cool "recent waypoint" option that tells me which caches that I visited so I've done away with the extra device and loaded the caches onto my phone. It's pretty easy to remember where you went and what you did by using that feature.

...but for them it's really not about the numbers.

I too have ceased collecting yellow grins (for various reasons). But regardless of how I choose to play the game, I believe it's common courtesy to at least post a note to assure the hider that the cache as once again been found (and likewise a DNF when it hasn't of course!)

I have things I leave in Caches that I want other players to be able to retreive, so I really like to complete my online logs. That way I can let everyone know where to find my BINGO! Cards and Raffle Tickets, besides I have no friends so I have to do something to feel like I belong in the world. If I don't log online no one will ever know I existed.

You could start wearing a chicken suit while caching. That would certainly reinforce your existence to some.

...besides I have no friends so I have to do something to feel like I belong in the world. If I don't log online no one will ever know I existed.

There, there, dear sweet WSR - I'll be your friend. :lol:

That reminds me of when I used to have friends. I have a couple of "Global" things I picked up for you a couple of years ago on a trip. If you send me your mailing address again, then I'll try to find them and get them on the way.

You could start wearing a chicken suit while caching. That would certainly reinforce your existence to some.

I might be tempted to try that, but in between Caches when I stop at the truck stop for coffee, things may not go well??

Do you have a laptop in your truck? If so, GSAK lets you write your log offline, then when you get online quickly copy & paste what you've written into the online log. That way you don't need an active internet connection to write your logs, you only need one to "post" them to the web site.

GSAK will also let you find caches along a route and print out a list of the ones you want to hit so you can just check them off as you find them. Much easier than trying to remember.

I do now, which is causing the problem. Now that I can look up Caches more easily, I have found more than before. I haven't yet gotten aroung to GSAK yet, but it's on my list. When I was using the PSP to get online, I would have never had a list of 40 Caches to work with.

I all ways have a note book laying on the floor between the seats that I write down my mileages when I cross states lines, fuel and when I am suppose to be stopping for my 10 hours so I just write a quick note on that of the cache I did and if I took or left anything. Then when I have a moment and a internet conection I just look at that to get everything right.

Once you start looking for caches to do with the truck you are gonna find it hard not to be cachen instead of delivering freight. LOL If you run across I 40 from memphis to nashville there are close to 20 you can do in that 200 mile stretch. Took me seven hours to do it saturday.

When ever I stop some where I get online and google earth were I am at to find if there are any cahes close by. Sunday I managed to snag a FTF in Texas by doing that.

The funny thing about this thread is what goes around comes around.

Here i have someone who decides to not log on line (but for a reason unrelated to mine that doesn't involve any animosity or hatred of numbers or anything of the sort) and this comes at a time when i have repented of my non-logging sins and have chosen to begin logging online again routinely. (Although I still reserve the right to "forget" a few- or simply not bother sometimes as the case may be.)

It's kinda ironic to me. Just when others are jumping on the band-wagon, well, I've pulled the signal cord to stop the bus and get off. :lol:

If you have a palm pda, there is a great little application that will help you out. Cache Log Book is a cool little database that is great for keeping track of your cache hunts. It was created by ABXGuy.

Cache-Log-Book-0.gif

Edited by sbell111

"GSAK will also let you find caches along a route". How does that feature of GSAK work?

"GSAK will also let you find caches along a route". How does that feature of GSAK work?
link to GSAK.net Edited by sbell111

The support forums at GSAK.net are a great place to learn more about the arc/poly filter feature in GSAK. As opposed to a thread about not logging finds.

Me, I use the nearly failsafe "spiral notebook" method to keep track of my finds. I do this even though I have a laptop computer in the car with me, running GSAK. It takes me 10 or 20 seconds to write one line in my notebook: GC number, cache name, any trades or trackables, and any notes on the cache that will remind me of something when I write my online log. I've used this method ever since the days when I used a PDA, and suffered a crash near the end of an 80 cache roadtrip, losing all my electronic notes about the caches I found. Now, I only need to make sure I don't lose the notebook! Those one-line summaries translate nicely into logs which average 100 words apiece. I enjoy writing them.

The support forums at GSAK.net are a great place to learn more about the arc/poly filter feature in GSAK. As opposed to a thread about not logging finds.

Me, I use the nearly failsafe "spiral notebook" method to keep track of my finds. I do this even though I have a laptop computer in the car with me, running GSAK. It takes me 10 or 20 seconds to write one line in my notebook: GC number, cache name, any trades or trackables, and any notes on the cache that will remind me of something when I write my online log. I've used this method ever since the days when I used a PDA, and suffered a crash near the end of an 80 cache roadtrip, losing all my electronic notes about the caches I found. Now, I only need to make sure I don't lose the notebook! Those one-line summaries translate nicely into logs which average 100 words apiece. I enjoy writing them.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

About the last time that I used the 'notebook' method, I was on a trip through New York and Pennsylvania. Somehow, I lost my notes and had to log my finds from memory. :) A year or so later, you reminded me of one that I forgot to log. I wonder how many more caches I never got around to logging from that trip.

Of course, I know that I have a few finds sitting in my Cache Log Book database that I haven't logged online, yet. I guess my point is that we all need to find a method that works for us and then consistantly work the method.

Edited by sbell111

Being a letterboxer as well, a journal comes natural for keeping track. We carry a small camera bag with stamp, pad, PDA, pen, pencil, journal, emergency GPS food, and micro trades. Sans stamp, pad, and trinkets, it would hold the smaller class of Garmins of which the yellows and Vista are part. As a "core bag" it keeps things tidy and available.

A journal helps keep track of caches we'd rather ignore than log, as well.

The funny thing about this thread is what goes around comes around.

Here i have someone who decides to not log on line (but for a reason unrelated to mine that doesn't involve any animosity or hatred of numbers or anything of the sort) and this comes at a time when i have repented of my non-logging sins and have chosen to begin logging online again routinely. (Although I still reserve the right to "forget" a few- or simply not bother sometimes as the case may be.)

It's kinda ironic to me. Just when others are jumping on the band-wagon, well, I've pulled the signal cord to stop the bus and get off. :)

I went over a year (almost 2 actually) without logging most of my finds except for DNFs & events. I got tired of not knowing how many caches I had found and then I hunted up my notes and got caught up. It took over 24 hours of computer time t get them all logged. <_< Right now I'm about 2 1/2 years behind on logging TB discoveries. I may never log those..... I just prefer to move TBs.

When the Snooglet arrives, I'm sure I'll get way behind again. The trick is to keep good notes and save them in one spot for when you're ready to log 'em. That way you don't hafta hunt for 'em as I did. :anibad:

I went over a year (almost 2 actually) without logging most of my finds except for DNFs & events. I got tired of not knowing how many caches I had found and then I hunted up my notes and got caught up. It took over 24 hours of computer time t get them all logged. :) Right now I'm about 2 1/2 years behind on logging TB discoveries. I may never log those..... I just prefer to move TBs.

When the Snooglet arrives, I'm sure I'll get way behind again. The trick is to keep good notes and save them in one spot for when you're ready to log 'em. That way you don't hafta hunt for 'em as I did. <_<

IMHO

Ah one of those......... as a TB owner I find if frustrating not knowing where my trackable is or how it got to a cache...by not logging your finds you are contributing to the "missing TB" syndrome that seems so prevelant....

So feel free not to log your cache finds..after all they aren't going anywhere...but trackables are....

I went over a year (almost 2 actually) without logging most of my finds except for DNFs & events. I got tired of not knowing how many caches I had found and then I hunted up my notes and got caught up. It took over 24 hours of computer time t get them all logged. :) Right now I'm about 2 1/2 years behind on logging TB discoveries. I may never log those..... I just prefer to move TBs.

When the Snooglet arrives, I'm sure I'll get way behind again. The trick is to keep good notes and save them in one spot for when you're ready to log 'em. That way you don't hafta hunt for 'em as I did. <_<

IMHO

Ah one of those......... as a TB owner I find if frustrating not knowing where my trackable is or how it got to a cache...by not logging your finds you are contributing to the "missing TB" syndrome that seems so prevelant....

So feel free not to log your cache finds..after all they aren't going anywhere...but trackables are....

I'm pretty sure that he logs them when he moves them, but not when he just 'discovers' them. Edited by sbell111

I guess you'll need to change your name. :)

Heck, I'll type your logs for .20 a cache. Just let me know which ones, include your password, no other details required. <_<

Edited by BlueDeuce
My Legend didn't have this feature, but my 60CS gives me an option to hit found with each cache. Then I upload that data to mapsource, and I can see all the open treasure chests. I can save that file and log them whenever I get time. Another simple option if you don't have that feature is to print out a map with GC numbers and circle the ones that you did. The site even gives you a good free mao you can use to do this.

I have trouble using the geocaching mode on my Garmin 60cx to keep track of caches I've found. For one thing I inevitably press the enter button by accident while on my way to the cache marking it found before I even start searching. I have to change the open treasure chest back to a closed one. I haven't even looked to see if that removes it from the calendar but I tend to think it doesn't. Another thing is that it only marks that you found the cache. It doesn't work at all for keeping track of DNFs and there is no place to keep notes about the search or what you traded.

I prefer to use Cachemate. I can use it to record notes about caches I've found or didn't find and whether I traded anything. And when I get home I can run a GSAK macro to import these notes and them use them to log each cache online. Still when I go "power" caching with the Ventura Kids, I don't have time to make notes for each cache in Cachemate, so then I use a spiral notebook, or if the Ventura Kids had a bookmark list of caches that we plan on finding I'll print that out and make notes on that.

I went over a year (almost 2 actually) without logging most of my finds except for DNFs & events. I got tired of not knowing how many caches I had found and then I hunted up my notes and got caught up. It took over 24 hours of computer time t get them all logged. :huh: Right now I'm about 2 1/2 years behind on logging TB discoveries. I may never log those..... I just prefer to move TBs.

When the Snooglet arrives, I'm sure I'll get way behind again. The trick is to keep good notes and save them in one spot for when you're ready to log 'em. That way you don't hafta hunt for 'em as I did. :)

IMHO

Hey Cowboy, ya just went off half cocked there Khemosabe. :)<_<

I am in the top 40 or so TB loggers on this site with 2,178. I would be in the top 20 or so if I logged all of the TBs I just counted coup on and didn't move. I don't OWE anyone a discovery log. They just don't satisfy me much and they are a courtasy when I do log one. I prefer to MOVE 'em along and I'm RARELY the LTF on a bug or coin. :anibad:

Thanks for proving my assertion that the worst part of trackable items are their expectant owners. :)

When the Snooglet arrives, I'm sure I'll get way behind again. The trick is to keep good notes and save them in one spot for when you're ready to log 'em. That way you don't hafta hunt for 'em as I did. :)

IMHO

I'm pretty sure that he logs them when he moves them, but not when he just 'discovers' them.

RK keeps tellin' me I'm too obscure. :anibad:<_<

Use a Garmin with the geocaching mode. The calendar option will nicely keep a history of found caches. I depend on it when I take vacations.

Same here.

I also like to keep my digicam handy. I usually will take one of my log entry to refresh my memory later, in addition to the usual pictures I like taking along the way.

Logging online doesn't necessarily have anything to do with numbers. For many of us it's just a way of letting the owner know that we found his cache and enjoyed the experience. Being that the owner spent the time, money and effort to hide the cache I think that's the least I can do.

When the Snooglet arrives, I'm sure I'll get way behind again. The trick is to keep good notes and save them in one spot for when you're ready to log 'em.

I log them the minute I get home, or if I'm on vacation I'll try to find a library to log. I'd hate to get hit by a bus and wind up with the wrong find count on my tombstone.

Edited by briansnat

I guess you'll need to change your name. :wub:

Heck, I'll type your logs for .20 a cache. Just let me know which ones, include your password, no other details required. :)

I considered changing my name to "TRUCK STOP ROBERT" but somthing in that just sounds a little off balance.

Keep a personal log book, and then on some cold rainy afternoon in the future, you can thumb through the book and add the entries to your online count.

DCC

That's the method I'm working right now. I look up the caches and jot the vitals in the notebook, then after I enter them into the GPS I'm off and running. If I've only found a few then logging them is no big deal, but lately the time I should have spent logging was instead spend looking up more to find. I guess I'll just have to not be so greedy with more Caches to find, until I've given back by logging them. I've had several 3+ hous sessions trying to get caught up.

I guess another solution would be to get out of the forums and back at the logs.