Best Garmin for cacheing

I agree that the Nuvi isn't caching friendly because it's designed as a vehicle unit. It's not meant for hand held use.

Many people use the 60CSXC or 76CSX. It's a great handheld for geocaching and also can get you around in the car. Its small screen and lack of voice prompts make it less than perfect for automobile use, but it will certainly be better than your GPS V.

Another option would be the Garmin Quest and Quest II. It has a form factor that is somewhat similar to your GPS V.

The difference is that the 60 and 76 series units are designed chiefly as hand helds, but will work OK in your vehicle. The Quest units are designed as vehicle units, but work nicely as hand helds.

Edited by briansnat

I had the garmin V and I upgraded and decided on the quest.....it is a good substitute for the garmin V, because it does both auto and trail pretty well. I have not found it to be as durable as the V...and they already had to replace it during the first year because of antenna issue......If I had to do over again...I would have gotten the gpsmap 60cx.

Garmin etrex series is not very good

'cause the "old" GPS chip is not very fast and you have very often no signal in downtown or in the forrest. But as a beginner it's a cheap start.

I recommend "Garmin GPS Map 60CSx" !!!

It has all you need. It's fast, supports 1GB extended memory etc etc

Martin

Does using pedestrian or off-road mode help?

I would say that it does, and the different nuvi models have different features. As I pointed out in a similar thread the nuvi 750 has direct coordinate entry and can download Pocket Query data with hints through GSAK. I can even have it alert me when a cache is within a certain radius as I drive down the road, or I can periodically check for nearby caches while travelling without having to get out another device or stack of paper. Certainly not something for a hardcore cacher, but for casual and drive by caching it offers enough in a single unit if you want one for navigation and don't want to buy a second for caching. The newer model nuvi's are also significantly better than the older ones that are now on sale.

'cause the "old" GPS chip is not very fast and you have very often no signal in downtown or in the forrest. But as a beginner it's a cheap start.

Martin

Not true. Any of the new H model etrex's have a high sensitivity chipset similar to the sirfIII chip in the 60csx. Etrex models that include the high sensitivity chipset: Etrex H, Venture HC, summit HC, Legend HCX, and vista HCX.

I would say that it does, and the different nuvi models have different features. As I pointed out in a similar thread the nuvi 750 has direct coordinate entry and can download Pocket Query data with hints through GSAK.

Does the Nuvi 660 have this capability?

I would say that it does, and the different nuvi models have different features. As I pointed out in a similar thread the nuvi 750 has direct coordinate entry and can download Pocket Query data with hints through GSAK.

Does the Nuvi 660 have this capability?

My Nuvi 200 does but im not sure on that model.

I set the 650 on pedestrian/off-road and used the TOPO 2008 map. Using city navigator, there is nothing to see but white screen. The 650 does have has direct coordinate entry but then, so does the 250w

mvc010snz2.jpg

This is at 0.5M but it will only scale down to 120ft where the 250w will scale to 80 ft.

mvc012ssx5.jpg

Edited by Lknot

I recommend "Garmin GPS Map 60CSx" !!!

It has all you need. It's fast, supports 1GB extended memory etc etc

Martin

Achem...

Their eTrex series is AWESOME!!! Of course, I just upgraded to the Vista HCX. If you are wanting one that has the 'new' chipset, all you have to do is look for the H series. The C is for Color Screen... and X is to signify that it has expandable memory(via a Micro SD card) I LOVE it!!!

The Steaks