Help my pick a car gps for my daughter

Back400

My daughter just took a job in another state so I want to buy her a gps for her car to help her with navigating. I have never owned or operated a gps so I am in serious need of advice on what to look for and/or stay away from. I don't have much time to research so I would appreciate your feedback. I'm thinking a unit with voice prompts would be helpful so she doesn't have to take her eyes off the road while driving. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

I would suggest the Garmin Nuvi line. You can basically pick out any options you want with this they start at $200 with the nuvi 200. It has a smallish screen doesn't inlude canada or alaska in the maps, has voice prompts, but won't tell you the street name. Says turn right in 200 ft. not turn right on elm. But you can get units with bluetooth, traffic alerts, larger screens, text to voice (turn right on elm), all sorts of options. Go to the garmin website and compare the options there. Costco.com has the Garmin 650 right now for $299 which is a good unit in my opinion. They have had this price for a couple weeks now, but it goes away on the 10th. They have been selling out of it, then a few days later will have more in stock. So if you go and it's sold out, check back.

Garmin Quest. Simple, small, fairly inexpensive. Plus you can use them for geocaching. Tom toms are not as versitile.

Check Garmins web site to see if they do the voice prompts. I'm fairly sure they do, but check. Just in case.

A Quest does have voice prompts while powered from the cigar socket but the US version only has 115MB of memory,the UK one has 256 MB

Dave

Garmin nuvi 350 or 650

nuvi 260 is a good choice also, and it speaks street names and directions. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles (blurtooth, fm transmitter, traffic option, etc...) just a good basic GPS with great maps that talks to you so you can keep your eyes on the road.

HTH